Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? (33180 Views)

“If My Husband Sexually Abuses My Child,He’ll Be Reported But Not Divorced" Lady / Man Leaves His Marriage Because His Wife Beats & Abuses Him / One Of The Reasons Why Women Endure Domestic Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by cooltola(m): 3:20am On May 22, 2020
abbey621:

Then my statement still holds true, she's not using her get out of jail card, unles the D is really explosive or her self esteem has hit rock bottom, no woman likes to be a punching bag and still be the breadwinner, na marry she marry she no kill person abeg!

No woman wants to be a punching bag. Some portray their marriage to be happy ever to the outside but inside of their home is a different cases. I know one who used to be in that situation, thank God she left the man. I do feel very bad for such women. All i can do is a say a prayer to such women that God should give them wisdom and understanding to navigate such difficult situations.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by enemyofprogress: 4:52am On May 22, 2020
Holamilekan97:

Ẹgbọn ẹ jhur, ẹ take ẹ easy abeg shocked shocked
thank you jare. I ate people that are carwords like the op. He was there when the woman was bean beated but he didn't did anything to him and he camed here talking rubbish. It's very painful
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Holamilekan97(m): 5:01am On May 22, 2020
enemyofprogress:
thank you jare. I ate people that are carwords like the op. He was there when the woman was bean beated but he didn't did anything to him and he camed here talking rubbish. It's very painful

Yes, very painful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 6:21am On May 22, 2020
Endurance is a virtue. It's not necessarily bad.

I mean, we all endure some difficult situations in one area or the other.

Some endure a difficult boss, toxic work environment, difficult customers, etc. You have the option of leaving, don't you?

Women endure abuses in marriage for the same reasons Nigerians endure the Nigerian government. Buhari is bad, Atiku is corrupt, bla bla bla, but here we are, many have the option of leaving but hey, more than 150 million people are still here and none can revolt. Hypocrisy, isn't?

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't want to get involve with someone without that virtue. It doesn't mean an abusive or toxic relationship is right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by TheFACELESS133(m): 6:59am On May 22, 2020
Religion plays a major role in that

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by AK481(m): 7:14am On May 22, 2020
Good sex
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Hathor5(f): 7:23am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

Some endure a difficult boss, toxic work environment, difficult customers, etc. You have the option of leaving, don't you?

Women endure abuses in marriage for the same reasons Nigerians endure the Nigerian government. Buhari is bad, Atiku is corrupt, bla bla bla, but here we are, many have the option of leaving but hey, more than 150 million people are still here and none can revolt. Hypocrisy, isn't?

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't want to get involve with someone without that virtue. It doesn't mean an abusive or toxic relationship is right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--5IlljO78

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Nobody: 7:40am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:
[s]Endurance is a virtue. It's not necessarily bad.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't want to get involve with someone without that virtue. It doesn't mean an abusive or toxic relationship is right[/s].

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 7:41am On May 22, 2020
Hathor5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--5IlljO78

Lol... What for? It's very easy to preach grin Check your life, you would see that you're enduring one hardship or the other. Most of the time, we can actually walk away but we choose to stay put anyway

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 7:46am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Nobody: 7:47am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

Lol... What for? It's very easy to preach grin Check your life, you would see that you're enduring one hardship or the other. Most of the time, we can actually walk away but we choose to stay put anyway

Your comparisons makes no sense. Imagine comparing domestic abuse to toxic bosses and work environment.

You obviously beat up your wife that’s why you posted that rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 7:48am On May 22, 2020
[quote author=ibkayee post=89823638][/quote] grin What are you smoking ?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 7:50am On May 22, 2020
Plead:

Your comparisons makes no sense. Imagine comparing domestic abuse to toxic bosses and work environment.

Will you keep kwayet?? What's your definition of abuse?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 7:50am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:
grin What are you smoking ?
Lol nah the question is what are YOU smoking?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 7:52am On May 22, 2020
ibkayee:

Lol nah the question is what are YOU smoking?

Lol. I'm smoking TRUTH
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 7:55am On May 22, 2020
Plead:

What is the difference between a toxic work environment and a toxic marriage?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 7:56am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

Lol. I'm smoking TRUTH
You aren’t to be honest, and it’s concerning lol, so many things wrong with what you wrote, for starters imagine putting domestic violence in the same boat as ‘difficult customers’...

Lol it is well
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 7:57am On May 22, 2020
bukatyne:

What is the difference between a toxic work environment and a toxic marriage?
For starters you aren’t bound to one legally
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 8:03am On May 22, 2020
ibkayee:

You aren’t to be honest, and it’s concerning lol, so many things wrong with what you wrote, for starters imagine putting domestic violence in the same boat as ‘difficult customers’...

Lol it is well

I understand the concern. smiley I'm not trying to justify domestic violence or abuse instead I've tried to answer the question: Why do Nigerian women endure abuses in marriage?

It is not a question of whether abuse in marriage is wrong or right. We all know it's wrong. But the knowledge hasn't changed the trend.

I'll still maintain that people endure abuses in marriage for many reasons that are related to the same reason we endure abuses at the workplace, family, nation, etc.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 8:19am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

I understand the concern. smiley I'm not trying to justify domestic violence or abuse instead I've tried to answer the question: Why do Nigerian women endure abuses in marriage?

It is not a question of whether abuse in marriage is wrong or right. We all know it's wrong. But the knowledge hasn't changed the trend.

I'll still maintain that people endure abuses in marriage for many reasons that are related to the same reason we endure abuses at the workplace, family, nation, etc.

I don’t think you were trying to justify it, and I get that this was your way of explaining the concept of endurance itself.

But the way you kind of threw it in with those other examples (which are also unfavourable situations in their own way) came across as you somewhat trivialising it, as well as the complexities of handling and leaving an abusive relationship.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 8:26am On May 22, 2020
ibkayee:

I don’t think you were trying to justify it, and I get that this was your way of explaining the concept of endurance itself.

But the way you kind of threw it in with those other examples (which are also unfavourable situations in their own way) came across as you somewhat trivialising it, as well as the complexities of handling and leaving an abusive relationship.

It wasn't intentional smiley Abuse in any form is not something to be taken as a norm.

I had to throw in the meaning of endurance because I believe that not all forms of abuse in marriage must lead to outright separation.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Lsofdk(m): 8:29am On May 22, 2020
bukatyne:

cheesy

Tomorrow
Good morning smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Hathor5(f): 8:42am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

In my world endurance is sometimes a necessity not a virtue and I avoid hardship whenever I can. It is the most natural thing for every living being to avoid pain and seek happiness in one form or the other but many of us have been conditioned to accept pain in the name of culture, tradition or religion to our determinant and the benefit of others. Imagine an animal running into the claws of a predator and call it a virtue. cheesy

I believe that many people accept abuse because many people were raised in abusive homes. They are used and numbed to it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 8:48am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

It wasn't intentional smiley Abuse in any form is not something to be taken as a norm.

I had to throw in the meaning of endurance because I believe that not all forms of abuse in marriage must lead to outright separation.
But OP said it's a continuous thing.

I recognize that there's a difference between say...a one off, atypical case in 10 years of a relationship vs being regularly abused. It will still be a heavy choice, but there's more room for giving someone the benefit of doubt in the first scenario than second in my opinion. I don't get the impression you were making much of a distinction between these types of scenarios, felt more like you didn't give it much thought and just threw it into the same basket. Anywho...nevermind sha lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 9:00am On May 22, 2020
Hathor5:

In my world endurance is sometimes a necessity not a virtue and I avoid hardship whenever I can. It is the most natural thing for every living being to avoid pain and seek happiness in one form or the other but many of us have been conditioned to accept pain in the name of culture, tradition or religion to our determinant and the benefit of others. Imagine an animal running into the claws of a predator and call it a virtue. cheesy

I believe that many people accept abuse because many people were raised in abusive homes. They are used and numbed to it.

I agree �

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 9:02am On May 22, 2020
ibkayee:

But OP said it's a continuous thing.

I recognize that there's a difference between say...a one off, atypical case in 10 years of a relationship vs being regularly abused. It will still be a heavy choice, but there's more room for giving someone the benefit of doubt in the first scenario than second in my opinion. I don't get the impression you were making much of a distinction between these types of scenarios, felt more like you didn't give it much thought and just threw it into the same basket. Anywho...nevermind sha lol

Loool IBK it's always very difficult to disagree with you so I'll let this pass. cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 9:05am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

Loool IBK it's always very difficult to disagree with you so I'll let this pass. cheesy

Because I'm a massive sweetheart right tongue grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Hathor5(f): 9:14am On May 22, 2020
Acidosis:

ibkayee:

When will the introduction take place? cheesy grin
Ibkayee, you will have to tweak some of his views a little bit but I think he is a sweetheart deep down.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 9:17am On May 22, 2020
Hathor5:

Ibkayee, you will have to tweak some of his views a little bit but I think he is a sweetheart deep down.
LOL! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 9:19am On May 22, 2020
ibkayee:

cheesy yeah , and the connection is indescribable smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Acidosis(m): 9:20am On May 22, 2020
Hathor5:

Lmao! grin grin Which of my views need tweaking?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Seven Surprising Mistakes In Marriages. / Check Out These Stunning Muslim Sisters / Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.