Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? (33172 Views)

“If My Husband Sexually Abuses My Child,He’ll Be Reported But Not Divorced" Lady / Man Leaves His Marriage Because His Wife Beats & Abuses Him / One Of The Reasons Why Women Endure Domestic Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 3:08pm On May 21, 2020
Lots of different reasons, here are some common ones

- Guilted/shamed into doing suffer head under the guise of tradition, religion etc
- Conflicting emotions (e.g. stockholm syndrome) etc
- Financial dependency on their husbands/financial insecurity
- Threatened by their partner
- Would rather tolerate someone familiar/a toxic environment than start afresh, especially in a marriage obsessed society and a justice system that has a history of failing them

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 3:09pm On May 21, 2020
Dyt:

Like a flower fully bloomed in the summertime
You are ready to be watered by this conversation
You are ready
I am in awe cos you shine like the sun
Let me be the one to enjoy you

This song I have it on repeat:
Let me be the one to enjoy you.....

Dude knew there is a certain sweetness and warmth in a woman's body kiss

Now turn around and bless me with your beauty cool

Chai!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by jericco1(m): 3:15pm On May 21, 2020
Stop been a Viewer undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Reex12(m): 3:15pm On May 21, 2020
Any man that hits a woman is a coward although smtimes it sexual stimulating to d ladies but I find it degrading

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Ijawwomaninoyo: 3:16pm On May 21, 2020
The same people will call you Olosho that wants to go into full time business and add the number of men you have married as a prefix to your name.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by cococandy(f): 3:17pm On May 21, 2020
This
ibkayee:
Lots of different reasons, here are some common ones

- Guilted/shamed into doing suffer head under the guise of tradition, religion etc
- Conflicting emotions (e.g. stockholm syndrome) etc
- Financial dependency on their husbands/financial insecurity
- Threatened by their partner
- Would rather tolerate someone familiar/a toxic environment than start afresh, especially in a marriage obsessed society and a justice system that has a history of failing them

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Tremple8v: 3:17pm On May 21, 2020
Na you want put them for house ? Them too plenty .
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by pocohantas(f): 3:17pm On May 21, 2020
Ijawwomaninoyo:
The same people will call you Olosho that wants to go into full time business and add the number of men you have married as a prefix to your name.

I tire o. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by fergie001: 3:18pm On May 21, 2020
Its an African thing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Lyoncrescent: 3:18pm On May 21, 2020
The question of choice on who to marry is a critical one. Once you choose wrongly, oyo things. However I believe women should not endure any form of abuse either physical or mental and men too should not endure it too . They should leave when they can. However people stay for different reasons. I know a woman who was verbally and physically abused by her husband for years however she bore it all cos of her daughters. Her impression was that she doesn't want anyone who will marry her daughters to see them marrying into a broken home and she used her case to pray and counsel her daughters on the need to makethe right choice. Funny enough the husband was nice to his children and met all their needs and educated them to the highest level.I dont support this type of endurance cos she could have died in between or get an incurable disease cos the man was also cheating.

Long story short, the moment her last daughter got married, she left her husband the same week. Different people have different reasons they do what they do

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Dyt(f): 3:18pm On May 21, 2020
bukatyne:

This song I have it on repeat:
Let me be the one to enjoy you.....

Dude knew there is a certain sweetness and warmth in a woman's body kiss

Now turn around and bless me with your beauty cool

Chai!

Well
The world is changing
There are still thousands that appreciate the true beauty of a woman even when our gender has made sex really cheap

Phew

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ImpregnaTor(m): 3:19pm On May 21, 2020
is part of the Nigerian marital vows
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Goldie16(f): 3:19pm On May 21, 2020
Because, many of them are broke. WOMEN HUSTLE!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by iyatrustee(f): 3:20pm On May 21, 2020
Dyt:
Some say for the Mrs tag
Some for the money
Some say for their children
Some say all men are same
Some don't have a reason

I used to judge these people alot till I was involved with a toxic partner, I walked away several times but dude kept coming back until the day I stood my ground it was enough

Yes, I still loved him when I walked away, it wasn't so easy but I had to for my mental health..

Now, not everyone have that courage to, considering the kind of society we came from

shocked shocked where dis moniker comot from fess?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Omoluabi16(m): 3:20pm On May 21, 2020
Amongst other reasons, most of them simply endure with the hope that things will get better. The 'he'll change' kind of thing. Some see it as a sacrifice for their kids, others see divorce as a shameful thing, especially our society that is hostile to single women or divorcees.

Dear men, man up and start treating your wives as Queens. Remember your promises and marriage vows.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Dyt(f): 3:21pm On May 21, 2020
iyatrustee:

shocked shocked where dis moniker comot from fess?

**cleans eyes**
Who am I seeing?

**shouting**
She's the one oooooo

Where have you been?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 21, 2020
Poverty, "tradition" and ignorance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 21, 2020
I once abuse my wife even in the present of my children but am regretting it everyday of my life because that is the worst thing that any man can do, though that some of this cases are not ordinary but I still stand that it's the worst thing that a man can do.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by wany(f): 3:22pm On May 21, 2020
Mindlog:
Some of the reasons are low self-esteem, low self-worth and the thought that they can't earn to take care of self and the children. Socialization has also played a role in some women believing that there is heroism in enduring abusive marriage, many grew up seeing their own mothers hanging on to abusive marriages and most times still got to "outlive" their abusive fathers. "So if my mother survived my father, I can also survive my abusive husband".

Any woman who hangs on to an abusive marriage with the excuse that she is still there because of her children is living in self-denial as she is using the children as a cover up for her fear of leaving "the comfort zone".

A dysfunctional family is a fertile ground to raise children who would have a higher chance of growing up into damaged adults and the sad circle continues.

A broken home is not only where one of the parent is no longer in the daily life of the spouse and the child(ren) between them but also where both parents are under the same roof but toxic is the atmosphere in the home.
You have said it all.thank you undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Yankee101: 3:22pm On May 21, 2020
The rate of abuse worldwide (including the US) skyrocketed during the lockdowns

Women are still abused worldwide and has got to stop. They are as human as any man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by seuncyrus(m): 3:23pm On May 21, 2020
The main reason is culture and Religion. Religion beleives in for better for worse ( which is mostly misinterpreted and misunderstood) while culture tells the women to "always endure" some cultures also see divorce as a taboo

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Dewisedick: 3:23pm On May 21, 2020
If you really want to help this girl call my line let me get you control. There will be follow up

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by ibkayee(f): 3:24pm On May 21, 2020
Ijawwomaninoyo:
There's no winning cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by iyatrustee(f): 3:24pm On May 21, 2020
Dyt:

**cleans eyes**
Who am I seeing?

**shouting**
She's the one oooooo

Where have you been?

I have been around dear! cheesy

Back to topic, The Nigerian society expects you to stay back because of "your children". Some will tell you how their mother's suffered in the hand of their father, yet she stayed because she loved them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 21, 2020
Dyt:

That was his imperfection, except that, dude was a great guy, he loved me a great deal but that his anger thing was what I couldn't deal with, he was obsessed, I mean dude even fought men that looked at me, that was how bad it was..

There are so many things that makes one great in a relationship, he loved me with care, was scared to lose me thereby over protection..

One thing that turns me on in my relationship is when my partner trusts and owns me
It makes me fly, dammnit

I just couldn't stand the toxic part, he became abusive, I couldn't say hi to men, I couldn't even talk/chat with men and he couldn't stand me smiling and laughing with others while I frown at him, it makes him feel like he should kill me grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

This is a western ducked mentality

Lovers should own each other

We all know too much of something is bad

There is a reason it’s called opposite sex
What happens to making friends with sex of your species?
Eve was made for only one Adam not two

You were not committed to the relationship as he was period save us all the westernized bukum

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 3:24pm On May 21, 2020
Dyt:

Well
The world is changing
There are still thousands that appreciate the true beauty of a woman even when our gender has made sex really cheap

Phew

Basically before the hook up culture angry embarassed cry
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Mindlog: 3:25pm On May 21, 2020
wany:

You have said it all.thank you undecided

You are welcome.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Dewisedick: 3:25pm On May 21, 2020

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 21, 2020
Many reasons.

1. Societal pressure from family and friends
2. For the Mrs title.
3. For the kids
4. For finances
5. For security, Nigeria is a zoo and a male companion is useful.
6. He was the one that was ready, not necessarily the one that she loved.
7. She wanted her magnificent wedding day.
8. The shame and stigma of a divorce makes her stay.
9. She worries that no one will want her particularly if she has kids. Many men don't want to take care of another man's kids.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by MrJavaS: 3:26pm On May 21, 2020
Takotsubo:
It is important to always go back to the beginning.

People who are born into abusive homes will most likely subconsciously tilt towards abusive partners.
When a child grows up seeing dad and mum fight,or mum.being beaten up,they watch mum cry and struggle ,they believe that in relationships it is normal to cry and struggle too.

When they speak to their crying mum,she may say daddy loves us,it's my fault for not cooking the food well,or it's my fault I was rude.

They then adapt to this notion and begin to reason in like manner.

They learn at a tender age that this is what marriage is or this is what love is. Some believe if their partner is not beating them or if their partner is not abusive,they don't really love them.

They then marry abusers and of course the cycle continues.Their own interpretation of marriage is that beating and abuse is normal so why should they leave?
Their mothers stayed so why should they leave?

A broken family is worse than an abusive one so why should they leave?

They take on the culture of self blame,they come on the internet and see where people recount worse and still remain ,people tell them to adjust themselves further and marriage is for better or worse so again the question remains: Why should they leave?

When your self confidence and esteem are eroded from a very young age,it is almost impossible to be emotionally normal.

They think they are staying for their children and forget it is still the same vicious cycle.

Truth is they do not believe they deserve better,they have never known better and will remain trapped in a prison that is not just physical but mental.

It is the very brave ones that begin to question issues and then decide to leave.

It's not just about money,even rich women are abused but remain.

When a person is traumatised,they view and interact with the world differently.

Very true...you are so on point. Low self esteem and confidence is the major reason why people remain in toxic relationships
Re: Why Do Nigerian Women Endure Abuses In Marriage? by COMPENGRFRANK(m): 3:26pm On May 21, 2020
CALL OR WHATSAPP FOR ALL YOUR GRAPHICS DESIGN WORK AND ALSO FOR WHATSAPP TRAINING ON GRAPHICS DESIGN.CALL NOW 08135354838 OR 07033091522

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Seven Surprising Mistakes In Marriages. / Check Out These Stunning Muslim Sisters / Marriage: My Mother Inlaw Calls My Wife Everyday Is It Proper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.