Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,539 members, 7,819,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? (4298 Views)

Do NOT Marry Someone Until You Can Honestly Answer These 20 Questions: / Can You Marry Someone From Another Cultural Back Ground?and Why / Can U Marry Osu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by ismaeel86(m): 3:57am On Jan 18, 2011
a friend of mine got himself in a messy situation,his parent wants him to marry any of his cousins and the guy did not like that idea,so he decided to impregnate the lady he loves, the girl is already pregnant for him but the parents still insist that they will not allow him to marry the girl just becos they are not from the same town though they speak the same language and are from the same religion.

if u are in this guy position, will u go against the will of your parents and marry the one u love or tell the girl to understand and marry the person your parents want u to marry?

if u are the father/mother of this guy will u allow your son to marry someone against your will?

Another thing that is complicating this situation is the pregnancy as the guy religion and culture is not in support of sex before marriage.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Osama10(m): 4:03am On Jan 18, 2011
Am the one going to live with the lady for the rest of my life and not my parents, so I marry whom ever am in love with.

My parents can only give me their reasons but at the end of the day I still have the final say on that.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Nobody: 4:08am On Jan 18, 2011
The damage has already been done, let him just complete it and marry her.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Busta(f): 4:10am On Jan 18, 2011
It is good to listen to the words of your elders/parents . . . in the end, they are only human and no one is perfect.

My advice, go with your gut feeling and do what makes u happy. Even tho, u might make a mistake as well but in the end, u learn and move on and hope not to make the same mistakes twice.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by ismaeel86(m): 5:39am On Jan 18, 2011
It baffles me when parents still insist on things like family tradition, his dad is insisting that his first wife must be someone from his family, that is his paternal cousin. i believe love overides evry other thing and they should allow their children to decide what is best for them and not force a particular way of life on them. it is because most people marry against their will due to family pressure, social pressure etc that is why cases of infidelity and divorces are rampant these days.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Atreides(f): 5:43am On Jan 18, 2011
@Topic,hells yeah. Am i not the one who'll remain married to the guy for the rest of my life? Although i would seek their advice before making such an important decision.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by aminalib(f): 6:55am On Jan 18, 2011
i marry who i want, no one has a say so
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by misanho: 7:18am On Jan 18, 2011
I love ma Family nd dey Love me 2, n dey also <3 watz best 4 me. D/4 av have no choice but 2 gyv me dere blessin even if I ma marrying a chinese lady,lol.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by LordReed(m): 8:23am On Jan 18, 2011
D will of parents in the place of marriage as always dat of advisory those parents who choose to be overbearing do so at the cost of their children's future happiness but like all human choices sometimes they are right but most times its selfish n it falls flat.
A man should make up his own mind on who to marry cos he is going to become the nucleus of a new family. Undermining his choice is undermining that new family.
However parental blessing is essential even they don't agree they should give dat blessing cos it'll ease a lot of woes away n stabilise dat new family against external threats.
Let d young man make his choice n go ahead but let he convince his parents to bless his choice.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Africanqueen2(f): 8:32am On Jan 18, 2011
I believe nobody can force anybody into marriage cos I'm d one saying d vow not anybody else. Unfortunately things like this still happen. If am d guy I'll marry who I love cos when d one de show give him heat the family won't be there to quench it. Besides marriage without love is unhappy which means their lives will be miserable almost forever. If am d mother I know the joy of marrying for love so therefore I cannot choose nor force my child into marriage. If am d guy to hell with family pick a good reliable friend of mine and marry d girl in court after which I plead with my family. As for religion just be repentant they might reprove (minor punishment where you lost some privilege) you or disfellowship (where members of same religion won't associate with you for a period of time pending when you truly repent and de call you back in) you. Sex before marriage is wrong no matter d situation and God have a reason for such law. No religion should even support sex before marriage. Unfortunately these things happens. embarassed
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by SuNnChNn(f): 8:38am On Jan 18, 2011
I smell Igbo culture and traditions here again, I stand to be corrected tho. I love my family and they love me as well hence they got no choice but to accept whoever i present,
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Odunnu: 8:54am On Jan 18, 2011
I'll never marry anybody because of 'my parents'. I'l marry who I want and even if they dont approve,i'l find a way of getting their blessings even if coerced
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by misanho: 9:17am On Jan 18, 2011
@ sunchn, I Rep Edo 4 lyf!
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Nakele(f): 4:15pm On Jan 18, 2011
This is one of the things that tick me off,,,,,, really how can u want me to marrysomeone who I don't even like talk less of love,,,,,this world,,,,,,,,Tjohhhh
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by calculusx(m): 2:38am On Jan 19, 2011
Archaic tradition and way of life. Follow your decision and marry whoever you are in love with. You are the one in the marriage and not your Family. We are in a Civilized world
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by iice(f): 3:32am On Jan 19, 2011
Hmmm.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Dsense(m): 3:44am On Jan 19, 2011
OP.
I will definately do what i sense suitable for my life.Even if it's against my parent's will . . . . . .It's my life ''BonJovi'' said it! wink
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by REALTRUTH1: 4:36am On Jan 19, 2011
well,, it all depends on the basis which the parents re advising,,,,in this very case or scenerio,,,,I personally would not marry who my parents re recommending if she does not capture what I want in a woman,,,,but I would also not go ahead and get my girlfriend impregnated because I want to disobey parents.
Its true my parents would not live with me and my wife,,,but my parents re a very veritable and a major part of my life and they would continue to be so even after am married,,,Bottomline is that,,if I have a responsibility to convince my my parents on who I wish to get married to,,,if I can't do that,,then marriage would hold on,,,I can't and nobody can truly find happiness in a chaotic marriage.
In this scenerio,,I would listen to my parents fear and would also make sure I douse there fears,,,marrriage is far beyond all the rhetorics many posted above,,,I can not because I want to pls a my girlfriend and cause my parents pain,,,I would love my wife for sure,,,but absolutely no woman can take away the love and regards I have for my parents,,,but I speak for my self here,,,parents knows me and trust my judgement,,,I will definitely do them proud,,,,these are things we discusssed all the time,,,
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Nobody: 4:42am On Jan 19, 2011
Yes but it depends on the situation. If they have valid reasons such as maybe I am not financially or emotionally prepared and I am wise enough to accept that, then yes. But if it is out of [blatant] prejudice, then I'm gonna do me and what I want to do.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Dsense(m): 4:53am On Jan 19, 2011
^^I can recognize your type! tongue
Now they will shout at you and your body will begin shaking like a Vibrating phone! grin
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Coolabbie: 4:17pm On Jan 19, 2011
Lol @topic i wont sacrifice my happiness 2 please my parents.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:17am On Jan 20, 2011
How come no one is looking at the aspect of his parents wanting him to marry one of his cousins? Is it right?
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Africanqueen2(f): 3:30pm On Jan 20, 2011
I heard it happens. People marry their cousins. As for if its right? I ve no idea
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 20, 2011
Currently going through this.
Re: Can U Marry Someone Against The Will Of Your Parents? by MMM2(m): 4:24pm On Jan 20, 2011
Let him marry de both, if he is an obedient child.

(1) (Reply)

Rape Festival In India Begins This Week / Ladies Can We Stop Doing This Things? / I Am 20 Years Old! Am I Too Young For Marriage? Help Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.