Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary (37788 Views)

Northern APC Governors Kick Against Choice Of Lawan As Consensus Candidate / 2023: PDP Governors Kick As Atiku Plans To Retain Peter Obi As Running Mate / Fayemi: Governors To Implement Autonomy For State Assemblies, Judiciary In May (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Harunabisanti(m): 7:48am On May 24, 2020
Their looting powers has been reduce

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Nobody: 7:48am On May 24, 2020
flyingpig:

What's the difference between bill and executive order?

Isn't this new development a law already? And will it remain in effect beyond his tenure?

it is not a law but an order and can be challenged in the court.

once a bill become law, no one will challenge it in court
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by OpTiX45: 7:48am On May 24, 2020
Maroghene:

Where are u at and can u send me ur whatsapp number?
ok
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Maroghene(m): 7:48am On May 24, 2020
Festools:

I have for sale. in Ozoro

Awesome then.. Let me get ur number
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Globad(f): 7:48am On May 24, 2020
truthfulparrot:
We now understand why Governor Wike destroyed the hotel based on the Executive order he issued, I told he friend that he was only baiting the Federal government. He thought the Federal government will protest that his Executive Order is illegal , then the Federal government will also have no justification to implement its own Executive order.
The Federal government saw through his tricks, and refused to challenge him on the Executive order.
The next few days will be interesting as the state governors may start rolling out all sort of Executive Orders.

Don't mix it up.

No one is challenging Wike or a governor's power to issue executive orders. Or the president's power to issue executive orders.

The issue is that a violation of the executive order by a citizen should be tried in court and the punishment determined by the court, not by the same governor or president who issued the order.

The governor or president cannot be the legislature, executive and judiciary at the same time.

This is the problem with Wike and the hotel.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by flyingpig: 7:49am On May 24, 2020
Lostz:

it takes one high court judge to suspend executive order or throw it out

When the bill approves their very own independence from state governors?

Which high court judge would cut his nose to spite his face

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by sugarboy1142: 7:49am On May 24, 2020
[you are on your ownuote author=seunmsg post=89897376]They should go to court and challenge the validity of the executive order. I’m saying this not because I opposed the autonomy granted to the judiciary and legislative arm of governments, but because I’m concerned it was done vide an executive order instead of a clear constitutional amendment. [/quote]
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Nobody: 7:49am On May 24, 2020
AfroKnight:

Executive order is LAW.
ordinary high court judge can suspend or set it aside
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Nobody: 7:51am On May 24, 2020
flyingpig:

When the bill approves their very own independence from state governors?
Which high court judge would cut his nose to spite his face
there is always one moneybag judge

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by eldoradoxx: 7:51am On May 24, 2020
The era of the Governor has bought cars for the members of the House of Assembly or the judges of the High Court of the State from what is money meant for them is over. Money belonging to the Legislature and Judiciary has no business being spent on their behalf by the Governor. Does Buhari buy the cars of National Assembly members? No, because the National Assembly is an independent arm of government. Let this rule tickle down the States so that the Governors stop controlling the Houses of Assembly like a master controls his puppet. Assembly of say 30 matured men elected by their people to checkmate the Governor end up in the pockets of the Governor, non can speak out when the Governor is wrong simply because the Governor has the ability to withhold his salaries and allowances or other pecks of office. Let this end and see how the Assembly members will now do their jobs

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by sugarboy1142: 7:53am On May 24, 2020
Good move Mr. President. Governor's how market.i understand they want to sue. They forgot that the honorable court is happy with the executive order 10

3 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by nograv: 7:53am On May 24, 2020
If I have understood this change correctly, this is actually a good thing.

Look at these Governors, they claim they care they care about the folks in their states. But they fear a beefed up Judicary.

We cannot have a situation where state governors can act as they like without any oversight when it comes to state spending.

Awful individuals like Ganduje, Amaechi and Tinubu spring to mind. If a branch of government like the Judiciary watches how state governors spent their cash and is financially no longer dependent on state funding, it would almost definately reduce corruption.

I will appauld the slow witted one, a policy change that actually makes sense..

I am genuinely surprised shocked

3 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Pius247(m): 7:53am On May 24, 2020
I am not a Buharist, but I am pleased with the state legislative and judiciary autonomy. Those state governors that feel state legislature and judiciary are their errant boys, should go to hell.

Soon, we will begin to see state governors impeached.

Local government autonomy loading.

Nice one Gen. PMB (rtd)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Karlifate: 7:59am On May 24, 2020
This is a good move by Mr President.
I guess Prof. Agboola Gambari is working.

3 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by eplanning: 7:59am On May 24, 2020
Weldon FG. Bunch of theiving governors angry
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by wirinet(m): 7:59am On May 24, 2020
flyingpig:

What's difference between bill and executive order and does it mean buhari understands a bill won't be approved by national assembly, hence opting for an executive order instead?

Will the executive order remain in effect beyond his tenure or at the end of his tenure
A bill is a proposed law submitted to the national assembly for assent. An executive order is a law made only by the president that bypasses the national assembly.

Yes, the president knows that the national assembly might not even consider the bill should he sent it first to the national assembly. As he opted to use the executive order route, the fight for financial and political autonomy will be fought in public. We will see all those against the autonomy of the judiciary and local government in the open, and all blames should not be heaped on Buhari.

A Good fall out is that the battle will be fought in the judiciary, we shall see if the judiciary too will fight for its own independence.

3 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by ItswellMike: 8:00am On May 24, 2020
Though not a fan of Buhari, this is a good one.
But they should have considered constitution amendment
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Karlifate: 8:02am On May 24, 2020
Pius247:
I am not a Buharist, but I am pleased with the state legislative and judiciary autonomy. Those state governors that feel state legislature and judiciary are their errant boys, should go to hell.

Soon, we will begin to see state governors impeached.

Local government autonomy loading.

Nice one Gen. PMB (rtd)
The Local Government financial autonomy has already been granted.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by truthfulparrot(m): 8:06am On May 24, 2020
Globad:

Don't mix it up.

No one is challenging Wike or a governor's power to issue executive orders. Or the president's power to issue executive orders.

The issue is that a violation of the executive order by a citizen should be tried in court and the punishment determined by the court, not by the governor or president.

The governor or president cannot be the legislature, executive and judiciary at the same time.

This is the problem with Wike and the hotel.
Wike deliberately granted the Executive the power to carry-out the demolition in the Executive order. There is a high wired politics going on between the Governors and the Federal Government. .... In some of the Executive orders issued by the Federal Executive, the President is the legislature and judiciary,? Wike knew it was legally and morally wrong to demolish the hotel. He was only calling out the Federal Government.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by mrwonlasewonie: 8:06am On May 24, 2020
Munzy14:
sad
Greedy folks.

don't mind them.ijekuke timowonlara
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by surgical: 8:06am On May 24, 2020
Lostz:
who in his right sense even joined the judiciary and state legislature with the executive?

the duara man should send a bill to the national assembly so it will become law instead of using executive order
The 8th national Assembly already did that
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Not2young: 8:07am On May 24, 2020
Crownbefitsme:
• May challenge order in court
• Why President took action, by aide
• Executive Order hailed by SANs

https://thenationonlineng.net/govs-kick-as-buhari-okays-financial-autonomy-for-assemblies-judiciary/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Obj come and see all you have caused! Governors are the problem of this country. State Assemblies and Others became an extension of Governor’s lodge. Governors act like CEOs of the entire state. Governors now sack chief judges, local government chairmen, emirs and even speakers all thanks to OBJ greedy ambition of 3rd tenure.

1 Like

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Cholison(m): 8:07am On May 24, 2020
These criminal Governors must be jokers, that iwhy we are praying for this crude oil to dry up so they can sit down and grow their economies. Sharing and looting has became the ground norm.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Nobody: 8:09am On May 24, 2020
surgical:
The 8th national Assembly already did that

Buhari is not implementing that bill. you can't implement a bill halfway
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Reference(m): 8:09am On May 24, 2020
Why won't they kick. They all want to be emperors, little tin gods in their fiefdoms with zero accountability. Good one.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by fergie001: 8:11am On May 24, 2020
Senatordave1.....we were saying this some days ago that the Govs will fight back.

In my little understanding of law, any alteration or amendment to the Constitution should have to go through the NA...as fantastic as this is, I think this Executive Order might be rightly challenged.

ejimatic ......help us here!
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Globad(f): 8:11am On May 24, 2020
truthfulparrot:
Wike deliberately granted the Executive the power to carry-out the demolition in the Executive order. There is a high wired politics going on between the Governors and the Federal Government. .... In some of the Executive orders issued by the Federal Executive, the President is the legislature and judiciary,? Wike knew it was legally and morally wrong to demolish the hotel. He was only calling out the Federal Government.

Please give an example of a federal executive order where the FG has acted as both the legislature and judiciary.

What is the name of the executive order which Wike relied on to demolish the hotel?

2 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by MrNipplesLover(m): 8:14am On May 24, 2020
Aspiring governors are already in soup before the gas cooker is even lighted.

grin grin

una never see anything.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Jademimah: 8:16am On May 24, 2020
What a good move Mr president any Governor who is unhappy by this positive development of Mr president should go and hawk transformer mean while which Court will they institute the action and how will the succeed?
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by joshjc(m): 8:16am On May 24, 2020
Maroghene:
Anyone with a good phone to sell preferably tecno camon 12 or it's pro version with receipt around Warri or could send to Warri?
I have one
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Alwaysachick: 8:18am On May 24, 2020
This is good for the principle of separation of powers, my fear is they might sabotage each other due to the political tension created by this same govt.

And there is a popular saying that when two elephants fight, the grass suffers- the masses are the grass

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wike Yet To Congratulate Atiku Despite Pledging To Support PDP Primary Winner / 2023 Presidency Is Between Obi And Atiku - Primate Ayodele / El-rufai To License Pastors And Muslim Clerics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.