Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,236 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary (37777 Views)

Northern APC Governors Kick Against Choice Of Lawan As Consensus Candidate / 2023: PDP Governors Kick As Atiku Plans To Retain Peter Obi As Running Mate / Fayemi: Governors To Implement Autonomy For State Assemblies, Judiciary In May (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by ejimatic: 2:32pm On May 24, 2020
Ugogabriel:

You are very wrong. It was Incorporated in the 2018 Constitution amendment and was singed into law by buhari. Refere to section 121 of the last amended Constitution.
. Is there any mention of SHA and Judiciary at the state level on the constitution as amended? The focus now is SHA and Judiciary ...The supreme court will now determine if what was repealed in 2018 accommodates SHA and state judiciary. In my opinion I think the federal was the focus in 2018 revised law...The Constitution must be allowed to make it broader. Your contribution is however appreciated.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by ejimatic: 2:46pm On May 24, 2020
fergie001:

I am peer-reviewing 121(3) of 1999 Constitution (as amended).
We must congratulate Saraki/Dogara-led-National Assembly in 2018.

In the words of Karibi-Whyte, J.S.C, (SC 4/1996; 28/5/99) vide in Attorney General of the Federation Vs. Guardian Newspapers Ltd:“A notable feature of the amended Constitution… is the distribution of the exercise of government functions among the three principal and separate departments of the Legislature, the Executive and the Judiciary. The Constitution also prescribed scope and limits for each department and that within its jurisdiction, the exercise of power is supreme. Accordingly, implicit in the power so vested, the one was not to interfere in the exercise of power of the other, except to the extent to which the Constitution confers such power of interference. This is the hallowed principle of the separation of powers first formulated by Montesquieu and now nearly perfected in the Constitution .… As a general rule therefore, except otherwise expressly provided or incidental to powers conferred, the legislature cannot exercise either executive or judiciary power; the judiciary cannot exercise either executive or legislative power……” I regret to say that this is not the case with our democracy which is anything but far from the idea of a limited Government. As long as one branch of Government possesses the power to act in the absence of explicit legislative authorization, so long we will continue to endure a dysfunctional democracy.

I am forced to step back and thoroughly align with your submissions.

Not only is Buhari right, his signing of its implementation is novel and should be commended.

Ejimatic....

. It is good we all look at this matters from diverse perspectives.Good presentation and discussion from all of us. The focus of White from the reference is the application of the autonomy on the federal system of government. He lampooned the dysfunctional application of separation of power in the Nigeria's federal system. I still submit that the extension of the financial autonomy must be fully and clearly spelt out in our constitution.The aggrieved governors do not want it extended because of their ulterior motives.That is the reason behind their condemnation of the unilateral executive order of the president with any recourse to its inclusion into the constitution....Additionally the autonomy is on finances not power separation. The best is to let it be fully incorporated into the Constitution for legal protection and enduring application.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by mattsejuro(m): 2:56pm On May 24, 2020
Maroghene:
Anyone with a good phone to sell preferably tecno camon 12 or it's pro version with receipt around Warri or could send to Warri?

Dm me
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by fergie001: 3:12pm On May 24, 2020
ejimatic:
. It is good we all look at this matters from diverse perspectives.Good presentation and discussion from all of us. The focus of White from the reference is the application of the autonomy on the federal system of government. He lampooned the dysfunctional application of separation of power in the Nigeria's federal system. I still submit that the extension of the financial autonomy must be fully and clearly spelt out in our constitution.The aggrieved governors do not want it extended because of their ulterior motives.That is the reason behind their condemnation of the unilateral executive order of the president with any recourse to its inclusion into the constitution....Additionally the autonomy is on finances not power separation. The best is to let it be fully incorporated into the Constitution for legal protection and enduring application.
I have been opportune to read the draft of my learned Senior, ejimatic and find it anti-complex , clear and precise.......

The Governors are not serious.

I surmise that for the purpose of simplicity, that this be properly drafted in one to extricate the issues of ambiguity.

I concur with all provisions and award no cost. grin
(lock down is affecting my brain aswear)

The SHAs have played their parts..this will help.
https://www.nassnig.org/news/item/992

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by senatordave1(m): 3:13pm On May 24, 2020
fergie001:

I am peer-reviewing 121(3) of 1999 Constitution (as amended).
We must congratulate Saraki/Dogara-led-National Assembly in 2018.

In the words of Karibi-Whyte, J.S.C, (SC 4/1996; 28/5/99) vide in Attorney General of the Federation Vs. Guardian Newspapers Ltd:“A notable feature of the amended Constitution… is the distribution of the exercise of government functions among the three principal and separate departments of the Legislature, the Executive and the Judiciary. The Constitution also prescribed scope and limits for each department and that within its jurisdiction, the exercise of power is supreme. Accordingly, implicit in the power so vested, the one was not to interfere in the exercise of power of the other, except to the extent to which the Constitution confers such power of interference. This is the hallowed principle of the separation of powers first formulated by Montesquieu and now nearly perfected in the Constitution .… As a general rule therefore, except otherwise expressly provided or incidental to powers conferred, the legislature cannot exercise either executive or judiciary power; the judiciary cannot exercise either executive or legislative power……” I regret to say that this is not the case with our democracy which is anything but far from the idea of a limited Government. As long as one branch of Government possesses the power to act in the absence of explicit legislative authorization, so long we will continue to endure a dysfunctional democracy.

I am forced to step back and thoroughly align with your submissions.

Not only is Buhari right, his signing of its implementation is novel and should be commended.

Ejimatic....

Sorry.what did saraki dogara do in this regard
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by fergie001: 3:15pm On May 24, 2020
senatordave1:

They pushed the alteration because co-incidentally before them, SHAs voted against their own autonomy.....I think?
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by chocolatelady(f): 3:16pm On May 24, 2020
Cry cry Governors. The era of pocketing the lawmakers and the judiciary to do their bidding is over. Now, they ceased to be governors puppet. They can now do their work without fear or favour. I must say it is a welcome development. Any Governor that is averse to it can resign. Walahi, na PMB fit this country. Call him incompetent or clueless or tyrant, it does not stop him from doing what he knows that will be good for this country. I dey hail u, incompetent PMB!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by senatordave1(m): 3:18pm On May 24, 2020
fergie001:

They pushed the alteration because co-incidentally before them, SHAs voted against their own autonomy.....I think?
The supreme court will have to settle it
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by fergie001: 3:24pm On May 24, 2020
senatordave1:

The supreme court will have to settle it
Supreme Court case will take forever ooooo....haba

Unless they speeden it. Our Governors are crooks.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by ejimatic: 3:31pm On May 24, 2020
senatordave1:

. Exaptiation of application of separation of power among Leg Jud and Executive in the federal govt.Pronto
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by ejimatic: 3:35pm On May 24, 2020
fergie001:

I have been opportune to read the draft of my learned Senior, ejimatic and find it anti-complex , clear and precise.......

The Governors are not serious.

I surmise that for the purpose of simplicity, that this be properly drafted in one to extricate the issues of ambiguity.

I concur with all provisions and award no cost. grin
(lock down is affecting my brain aswear)

The SHAs have played their parts..this will help.
https://www.nassnig.org/news/item/992
. As your lordship pleases!!! beautiful judgement my lord.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by senatordave1(m): 3:44pm On May 24, 2020
fergie001:

Supreme Court case will take forever ooooo....haba

Unless they speeden it. Our Governors are crooks.

Yes while they delay,the two arms will be financially free
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Legendguru: 6:07pm On May 24, 2020
Thieves
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by 9jaArea: 8:25pm On May 24, 2020
One body needs them to comply, the accountant general will deduct the money from source.

Lostz:

this is not about not listening. the Governors will simply not comply.

they have same immunity like you
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 24, 2020
This was a fantastic and appropriate act by President Buhari and it is highly laudable. Anyone/Governnor that is not pleased about it, well, they're obviously wasting their time, and if they take any legal action against the order, believe me, Nigerians will decend mightily on them and defend it vehemently.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by tolaswim: 10:26pm On May 24, 2020
Greedy morons
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by oluwacastro(m): 11:32pm On May 24, 2020
As long as the Governors will contest the executive order in a court, to which the Judge and representing Lawyers are beneficiary. They can go ahead and waste their resources.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Chpstcks(m): 7:10am On May 25, 2020
Crownbefitsme:
• May challenge order in court
• Why President took action, by aide
• Executive Order hailed by SANs

https://thenationonlineng.net/govs-kick-as-buhari-okays-financial-autonomy-for-assemblies-judiciary/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The FG has quietly stripped state governments of a lot of power and has also gained the power to control the affairs of the state by proxy.
Either way, was the interest of the masses considered?
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by budaatum: 12:41pm On May 25, 2020
You make me wonder why we bothered fighting for democracy, then guess you might be of the Indomie generation who wasn't taught history in school. But then you talk of "youths" so I guess you might have just forgotten that you had your "Gaddafis" already. Their names were Abacha and Babangida, and we all know how they terrorized us. Even if you were not there you could read the history!

anonymous1759:
A1759

If the president used is executive order to disburse 50m to each serving Gov without due process these thieves won't make a fuss.

What this country needs is a good Tyrant PMB is a biased one. We need a Gaddafi that'll get rid of corruption or reduced it to minimal level. The reason why the country is bad is because everybody is corrupt... I'm still waiting for the bashing from Nairalanders even if they didn't understand the thread.

The youth should wisen up anything that creates a fight between the Elites is an advantage to the masses don't fight such idea.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by anonymous1759(m): 9:32pm On May 25, 2020
budaatum:
You make me wonder why we bothered fighting for democracy, then guess you might be of the Indomie generation who wasn't taught history in school. But then you talk of "youths" so I guess you might have just forgotten that you had your "Gaddafis" already. Their names were Abacha and Babangida, and we all know how they terrorized us. Even if you were not there you could read the history!

We've more corruption in democracy compared to the military Era. We taught democracy suite every country that's why we fighted for freedom what's happening in Libya today? Was Gaddafi's so called Tyranny regime not better than the western proscribed democracy?
Until Africa starts adopting her own way of leadership nothing good will happen.

You talk about Tyranny. During Gaddafi's and Sadam regime we'd less terrorist compared to today. Slave trade come back to the mix in Libya after the demise of Gaddafi. You don't need to sound old to prove your point. I bet you can't compare the crime rate between now and then .
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by budaatum: 9:58pm On May 25, 2020
anonymous1759:

We've more corruption in democracy compared to the military Era. We taught democracy suite every country that's why we fighted for freedom what's happening in Libya today? Was Gaddafi's so called Tyranny regime not better than the western proscribed democracy?
Until Africa starts adopting her own way of leadership nothing good will happen.

You talk about Tyranny. During Gaddafi's and Sadam regime we'd less terrorist compared to today. Slave trade come back to the mix in Libya after the demise of Gaddafi. You don't need to sound old to prove your point. I bet you can't compare the crime rate between now and then .
I wouldn't quite agree that Libya was so good under Gaddafi and Saddam, least not going by the joy Libyans and Iraqis expressed when they were toppled. Besides, without democracy, wouldn't one tyrant be ruling us forever? Least with democracy we can kick people out when their time is up, or would you rather Babangida or Obasanjo still be ruling Nigeria unless there's a coup to kick them out?

But perhaps you got a better mode of governance than democracy. Mind sharing it please?
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by anonymous1759(m): 10:10pm On May 25, 2020
budaatum:

I wouldn't quite agree that Libya was so good under Gaddafi and Saddam, least not going by the joy Libyans and Iraqis expressed when they were toppled. Besides, without democracy, wouldn't one tyrant be ruling us forever? Least with democracy we can kick people out when their time is up, or would you rather Babangida or Obasanjo still be ruling Nigeria unless there's a coup to kick them out?

But perhaps you got a better mode of governance than democracy. Mind sharing it please?

I feel Nigeria in particular needs a '' good Tyrant'' Democracy don't suit us for now. We don't have discipline at all. What we understand is force either in martial law or traditional method.
Let's take a look at the Arab Gulf countries are they not doing well? Despite their style of governance? Different stroke for different folk.

Libya was Heaven compared to now the sponsored machineries and the naive ones in Libyans were the ones happy when Gaddafi's died. Go and Make a research about Libya today and find out which style of Government they prefer.

Every man's knows how best to handle his family. As parents you know the best method to treat your kids soft or hard. The most important thing is having a family you be proud of at the end. That logic applies to a state.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by budaatum: 10:58pm On May 25, 2020
anonymous1759:

I feel Nigeria in particular needs a '' good Tyrant'' Democracy don't suit us for now. We don't have discipline at all. What we understand is force either in martial law or traditional method.
Let's take a look at the Arab Gulf countries are they not doing well? Despite their style of governance? Different stroke for different folk.

Libya was Heaven compared to now the sponsored machineries and the naive ones in Libyans were the ones happy when Gaddafi's died. Go and Make a research about Libya today and find out which style of Government they prefer.

Every man's knows how best to handle his family. As parents you know the best method to treat your kids soft or hard. The most important thing is having a family you be proud of at the end. That logic applies to a state.
I'm of the generation who fought against our tyrants, and I wouldn't want to go back there at all. And I doubt Libya or Iraq could have been heaven for those who were being oppressed.

As for parents knowing what's best for their children, I beg to differ, especially watching the choices their children are making and the way they reason. They call Nigeria a zoo but fail to realise they are calling themselves animals. Their grandparents can hardly be proud of their de-evolution even if their parents are.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by anonymous1759(m): 11:57pm On May 25, 2020
budaatum:

I'm of the generation who fought against our tyrants, and I wouldn't want to go back there at all. And I doubt Libya or Iraq could have been heaven for those who were being oppressed.

As for parents knowing what's best for their children, I beg to differ, especially watching the choices their children are making and the way they reason. They call Nigeria a zoo but fail to realise they are calling themselves animals. Their grandparents can hardly be proud of their de-evolution even if their parents are.

No matter how bad a state is, it must be beneficial to some people. Like I said people clamoring for a Democratic some of thier hands are tied then , no opportunity for them to steal.
Such people who are privileged to be in this so called Democratic Government of today where anything goes won't like to return back to the Tyranny Era where stealing is minimized.

It's visible to the world that Iraq and Libya is in chaos, so tell me how are they Enjoying thier current situation? Citizens who sleep with their two eyes closed can't anymore. What kind of freedom is worth more than a good sleep and rest of mind? Nato and Iran are playing ping-pong in Iraq with airstrike, Libya is in total disarray no electric, water, gas no safety etc. And you tell me thier citizens enjoy it. Can you visit any of these countries at the moment without their tyrant leaders?
It's better to have a Tyrant leader that'll safeguard the interest of the people then having a failed Democratic Government hiding under the disguise of democracy looting the Nation. A healthy politician will steal when it's time to face the law he'll form I'll and granted pardon the next week you see the same person dancing in a function these men can't try that Nonsense with a Tyrant.

No system of Government is 100% but democracy in Nigeria Is a SHAM.

I don't support people calling Nigeria zoo. You didn't get my illustration using family as a yardstick to describe a state.

The only people who enjoy Libya or Iraq today are the ones benefiting from the Chaos no human on Earth likes unrest. Don't make that statement again that citizens in Libya and Iraq like what's happening to thier County deep down you know it's a Lie.
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by budaatum: 8:33am On May 26, 2020
anonymous1759:

No matter how bad a state is, it must be beneficial to some people. Like I said people clamoring for a Democratic some of thier hands are tied then , no opportunity for them to steal.
Such people who are privileged to be in this so called Democratic Government of today where anything goes won't like to return back to the Tyranny Era where stealing is minimized.

It's visible to the world that Iraq and Libya is in chaos, so tell me how are they Enjoying thier current situation? Citizens who sleep with their two eyes closed can't anymore. What kind of freedom is worth more than a good sleep and rest of mind? Nato and Iran are playing ping-pong in Iraq with airstrike, Libya is in total disarray no electric, water, gas no safety etc. And you tell me thier citizens enjoy it. Can you visit any of these countries at the moment without their tyrant leaders?
It's better to have a Tyrant leader that'll safeguard the interest of the people then having a failed Democratic Government hiding under the disguise of democracy looting the Nation. A healthy politician will steal when it's time to face the law he'll form I'll and granted pardon the next week you see the same person dancing in a function these men can't try that Nonsense with a Tyrant.

No system of Government is 100% but democracy in Nigeria Is a SHAM.

I don't support people calling Nigeria zoo. You didn't get my illustration using family as a yardstick to describe a state.

The only people who enjoy Libya or Iraq today are the ones benefiting from the Chaos no human on Earth likes unrest. Don't make that statement again that citizens in Libya and Iraq like what's happening to thier County deep down you know it's a Lie.
We had looting under the tyrannical rule of Abacha and Babangida too, and we did not have democracy then, nor could we complain much if we didn't want to be made to disappear by the secret service, so how can democracy be the cause of looting? I'm tempted to ask if you were alive then but fear you might see it as an insult. It really was very bad!

But that aside, please tell how, under your proposed non-democratic government, would we kick out rulers we do not like?
Re: Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary by Fujiyama: 2:33pm On Nov 08, 2023
undecided

Over 3 years later...and over half (yes, that's right...19 states to be exact) of the states in the Federal Republic of Nigeria still have zero legislative financial autonomy.

angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PDP Wins First Polling Unit In Osun Election / Former Militant Who Lost His Hand Has A Poultry Business (Photos) / Pictures From The Lagos Reconstruction Of 10-lane Oshodi-int’l Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.