Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,720 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall (32952 Views)

Do I Need Juju To Blow As A Musician? / DOWNLOAD MP3 Simmy – Ubala Ft. Sun-el Musician / Skiibii Dumps 5 Star Music Record Label, To Launch His Own Label With New Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by tempem: 7:26am On May 26, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

a record label is a biz like any other... who INVESTS in an artist career and try to recoup their investment and make a profit out of the artist's success. should artists now accept every nonsense that record labels throws at them?! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

this whole charade is trying to make it look like... if an artist succeeds, its the record labels fault, but if the artist fails, its the artist fault. lol!

most artist around the world get PAID each and every time their song is played on the radio (and not the way around) but, if in Nigeria a record label needs to pay to have your song played on radio (while that same radio is paid by advertisers, ads etc) then A) you better get a better record label that believes in your music/talent, B) you better do biz outside of Nigeria, but most importantly, C) if that is the way your record label expects to promote you, then you best find a better record label ASAP!

ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!
the artist is EVERYTHING dont get it twisted, thats your raw product, without an artist, a record label is NOTHING... a record label is just someone who see an artist's talent and decides to invest in that talent to enrich itself. how dare you are trying to make a record label look more important than the artist?!?!? if that person is just a bathroom singer, as you claim, then why would anyone invest in them?

educate yourself of the likes of Prince or independent artists who create their own label and invest in their own self. anybody can do what a record label does, you only need money, and there are many ignorant fools out there with money but absolutely NO SKILLS to manage artist, foolishly calling themselves "record label".

May d was producing/recording songs for that label without a contract... what happens to the benefits generated from these produced/recorded body of work (since there was no contracts)? where is the contract that stipulated that A) record label invested X amount of money that will be deducted from the above BS you mentioned and B) if there was no contract in place, how does everyone's share calculated?!

Cynthia Morgan own is even worse...A) where exactly was the "supposed" 40Mill invested in? B) how much money has been generated from the Vevo account that was hijacked from her til today? C) how much money has the record label already recuperated from all her shows/songs etc (before this saga started)? D) it seem the record label claims they invested 40M and that today she still owes them 40M ...really? so they made NO MONEY from Cynthia Morgan since day one?!?!?!? highly far fetched!

the above in bold is called "RUNNING A RECORD LABEL".... the rest written is deluded rubbish that certainly wasnt part of any contract, unless the unsigned contract of May D AND the contract of Cynthia clearly stipulated that every time they pop champagne for you in the clubs or that you guys go clubbing, the tab will be added (or deducted) from your cheques as "promotion and marketing"... same with feeding money or the empty BQ room that was provided for May D.

yes!!!! and they get handsomely rewarded for it!!! dont try to make these record labels look like charities! these are investments. sometimes it bare fruits and sometimes it doesnt.... just like any other investment in life.

any artist who signs such above contract is a DAMN FOOL! when the record label has recouped its invested Marketing/promotion/studio time money etc (example 5M) then the profit above this 5M, will be shared between the artist and the record label (depending on what was earlier signed 30/70 or 40/60 etc). saying that the record label must make 10M before an artist makes any profit is not only LUDICROUS,
but i do feel sorry for the Ediots who sign such mad deals! no wonder no good has ever come from the mentioned record label!

because NOBODY has seen the contract itself that all them crooks are talking about... there are many contract out there, and there are many record labels....why havent you ever heard an artist complain of Don Jazzy Mavin record? yet, this ONE record label has 3 different artist speak ill of them?!?!? there are record labels and record labels out there, know the difference!

Insightful. You seem not biased.. With points from that guy and you, I really have a complete story.... I think you should create a thread. You have valid points. It can help.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Nairalandmonika: 7:36am On May 26, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
so youre telling me all those music I'm downloading with mb percentage don't go to the labels?
all those albums that are online all those movies that we download percentage doesn't go to the people who own them?
I disagree abeg
A rapper Mos def once said
You can't sign me for a hundred dollar and take away my millions
before you sign any deal
Get yourself a competent lawyer
no just go sign only you
Lol, u still think like this, how old are u. I use to think like this when I was in jss 1 . U use ur money to buy data from the network company, Watin concern record label. Even the website u downloaded the music from nor get any percent. The money u use to buy data ends with the network company and nothing more.
The website get their money through advert they do on their website. The website may decide to sell the music or wat ever produce they have to u.
In cases like iTunes, where they sell the music, they pay the produce according to the percentage of streaming the music have.

But in cases like notjuskok, where the music bis free, the producers probably pay them to promote the music.

When the music is popular, they get to go on occasions and concerts, this is were the producers make money.

So your small 100naira 10 mb end with mtn n glo. Nobody get chichi from the money, not the website or the producers.

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Born2conquer: 7:39am On May 26, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
so youre telling me all those music I'm downloading with mb percentage don't go to the labels?
all those albums that are online all those movies that we download percentage doesn't go to the people who own them?
I disagree abeg
before you sign any deal
no just go sign only you

Lmao� bruh! Nothing! Nobody gets paid

3 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by jaxxy(m): 7:44am On May 26, 2020
Top1gun:
You are not making sense.
Skales might not have blown but Banky should come out n tell us Skales never made enough sales n show for him to recoup his investment.

The same video you complimented Jude about is the one that I discovered he was a wolf in sheep clothing. Here is why, Cynthia Morgan n her manager begged you for a contract, you claimed was produced by her manager. Good, everyone signed you have Cynthia cars n other incentives, while is also had lots of hit for you to recoup your money though with her excesses.

MayD got no contract even after the hit with Akon n you blindly chose to ignore the fact that MayD was raking in millions in sales only for Jude to then come up with a contract. Now, is that a fair deal ? Who earn all the money from the colabo with Akon was there not suppose to be a deal outlining that in place ? Does that not expose the fraudulent intent of Jude to milk his artist n then possibly enslave them ?

MayD was smart enough to ask for incentives after a colabo that was topping the chat with Akon n our uncle Jude found that condescending after already using him na wa O.

Did Barca test Messi before investing in his health talkless of gifting him a contract with all his health challenges ?! Your Jude exposed himself as a cunning n selfish businessman who isn't ready to gamble on an act unless he the act is already raking in millions into his pocket.

The question now is if that is a good thing n even by my own flawed judgement I will say no but demonizing the act n painting himself 'Jude' a saint is not acceptable. How do we ascertain Cynthia didn't sell enough for Jude to rake his investment ? We all know how many years she was the queen of the dance hall n she reigned for close to 3 years or more.

How much did Jude invest on her that her record sales n airplay alone couldn't foot his investment. Also why blame Cynthia Morgan for being foolish in regards to the contract with Jude n still blame MayD for being smart regarding same contract.

This only exposed your sentiment, I put it to you that you are Igbo n only supporting Jude based on that reason. If this incident occurred with an Igbo at the receiving end like Cynthia Morgan your sentiment will be completely different.

I think I left out sm details on Cynthia’s issues which u nicely brought in, Cynthia had a contract and reigned for about 3 years Bt I’m not sure if that was under jude exactly or b4. Let’s assume it was under jude then jude and Cynthia manger who made the contract have to explain if she never made back any money for them or the label. In any case we shud remember this gal had serious attitude problem that alone can spoil her progress, we learnt she wasn’t cooperating and even changing her name while under the label so I don’t know if all this affected her productivity under her label. We needs more clarification and figures.

MayD was a nobody bt had talent, u were invested in by way of traveling, meeting people and doing collaborations, if u were partners then we can say ok u deserve Smtn here bt u were a trainee if I can use that word under probation infact. Yes he did nice collabos bt more of features, cos psquare was also part of the Akon collabo not just MayD. Collabos with one artists is usually shared so profits come over time, talkless of collabo with 2 artists and u are the unknown one. It just like how davido gives his young label artist chance to shine. The only difference is davido either doesn’t invest to much on them to blow or recoups his investment over time and not immediately so the artists enjoy his progress also.

Most contracts with record labels like a said when Ure big and making no1 hits, the artist is still relatively broke it happened with many top artists until after the labels recouped their investment depending on how enormous it was to make u blow. The contract might be the flaw not the label perhaps.

My blame on Cynthia’s contract wasn’t on incentives bt attitude, atleast we heard she got a car, land despite not fulfilling her contract terms and having a sharp fall in progress.

MayD yes I support him on incentives bt what incentives is the question. He wanted house in lekki and car for doing what exactly A 3tri collabo?? Of which he didn’t deserve bt was given a chance as a trainee? It showed he had potential and shud have now gotten a contract that shows this potential not a trainee contract bt that doesn’t mean u demand house in lekki, I feel MayD shud have settled the issue with them rather than think he can do it on his own and run out of greed looking at the opportunity and platform they gave u.

Artists are not patient to learn and grow they want to sing 2day and blow 2day. This is where tuface was smarter he stayed with Kenny and served them even when he had hits and still broke bt when he left he rose even higher and Kenny had nothing against him, infact they bless him. MayD shud have followed this path or Smtn close.

Barca still recouped all their money and more from Messi that’s why he can’t leave to another club all his playing life. Lol

Lastly I don’t like the tribal assumptions. It has nothing to do with Igbo’s or anything. I hated jude b4 that video because I had never heard his side of the story on many issues against him that’s all. I got the balance I was looking for.

4 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by ajbf: 7:46am On May 26, 2020
fadar095:
Seriously I don't see any sense in this..... do you know how much does label realise in just a show??
Let's use Kiss Daniel as an example when in he was with G-world wide, his boss do pay him 30k per month
Just imagine someone like kiss Daniel with that kinda salary despite his shows and tours
I just think those record labels should be fair with their dealing and contract
That's one of the major reason I respect YBNL, he's helped some many young artiste
Why will you call yourself a record label boss living a sumptuous life at detriment of your employees...... we all have conscience
Then ask their father or their family to invest on them instead.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by ajbf: 7:49am On May 26, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/
They thought Akon just showed up and did collabo with May D free of charge. A verse in a song can go up to $50k depending on the artiste.

/
They have forgotten that it is part of promoting the guy, even though the guy was not having contract with the label.
The guy was the highest beneficial of the Akon featuring without a contract.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by supercase1(m): 8:03am On May 26, 2020
gurunlocker:
grin

The thing is most upcoming artists are overly excited when they see a record label is trying to sign them.

They won't even read the contract they are signing thoroughly or use a lawyer which can put them through... They are always too eager because they see it as an avenue to reach the top. It is after they sign the contract they will know the soup they are in.

I just hope the upcoming artists won't be desperate in getting signed and at least go through the contract they are signing so they won't be a Modern slave shocked shocked shocked
Upcoming trash songs about women ass grin
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by YINKS89(m): 8:09am On May 26, 2020
eLcastro:
All you said would've been perfect especially with your kiss daniel as key study..but it's just a '1' kiss Daniel in a hundred of upcoming signing....now these other upcoming signing that don't get to make it and are total loss for the management how many times do you get to hear management cry foul.,it's cause they know it's business....when gee worldwide signed kiss daniel.,they did sign other artists too...but today where are these artists.? That's why labels signs contracts that must favour then 70% over the artist....cause in 20 upcoming signing u will be blessed to get 1 good sign.,so how do u recoup for the other 19....you just looking at it as per artist but that's where you wrong....it's a collection cause wether how do you keep the label running knowing fully well that 20% of your upcoming signing won't blow.. it's business bro
Music business is a very risky business unless for those that use it in laundering their money.
Record label you hear most times have over 30 artist but you sometimes know just 1 or 2.,ask yourself how do dey pay the rest....cause there is a contract nd they have to fulfil it.
bro like u said it's business for them hence the reason why there is always a clause on every contract if as an upcoming artiste you signed with a label just like bank they gv you target and if you fail to also meet the target they cut u off.... Apart from DMW have u seen any record label that signed a upcoming artiste and within 2 years they still keep funding it? Let me tell you no coz like u said it's business for them... No time to wait for u to blow if u can't achieve it within a year.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by drLammy(m): 8:10am On May 26, 2020
Agreed! I always say this myself...

What if at the end of it all the artist no gree blow... imagine all the losses this record label wud av accured over some artist we don't even know about till date..

But I doubt you follow the story cuz May D wasn't even given a contact at all The guy acted smart to negotiate a contract thinking he wud be a ble to stand better alone but Failed and now e dey rant

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by kramer: 8:15am On May 26, 2020
lawyer:

If Jude Okoye was to sue Cynthia Morgan and May D, I bet my house, Jude Okoye would win over and over again because everything is in the contract which they signed.

I hope for your own sake you don't go into gambling otherwise you'll end up destitute. For someone who acts like they know it all you're very presumptuous. You forget that the key thing here is the contract. You don't know what they signed and you have no proof that Jude will win because you don't have sight of the contract, until you do so I would highly recommend you don't gamble your belongings bikonu.

Also, just because the contract his tight doesn't mean Jude is a good person. An ethical label will ensure you know what you're signing up for and make the terms clear, and won't prey on your desperation. Whereas an unethical one won't give two shits about you which I suspect Jude falls into based on the blowback we're hearing. You will recall ma$e and pdiddy had a public falling out due over a contract the former signed while he was still very young.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by YemyTemmy: 8:15am On May 26, 2020
Jude!! Is that you? So you are on nairaland!!? You are doing well, keep defending yourself
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Mustiboy(m): 8:19am On May 26, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
I disagree abeg
before you sign any deal
no just go sign only you

Lol. You think you're paying them with your data?

How dumb can some people be?

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by teezy001: 8:20am On May 26, 2020
lawyer:
I was reading online recently about how Cynthia Morgan claimed Jude Okoye scammed her while she was under his Record Label and May D led credence to her complaints about the Label not giving him his dues and generally cheating him off the good life he was supposed to enjoy as an Artiste. A lot of people immediately sympathized with these Artistes and rained Insults on Jude Okoye and every other record label out there for cheating Artistes. Many Artistes these days have made it a habit to always come on social media to blame the Record Label for stiffing them but is that really the truth? Let's delve into what goes on behind the Music Industry and explain why one Artiste is very rich and famous and the other one famous but broke.

A lot of people are very ignorant about how the Music Industry works. Free Music is everywhere you look today. Everyone can download music for free online from “notjustok.com. , tooxclusive.com etc”. You can listen to free music on any radio station you tune into all over Nigeria. You can watch free music videos on over 20 Music Channels. You can stream free video on YouTube, Spotify, Sound Cloud etc. If you like, you can go to music blog pages and download new music everywhere but the first question you should ask is “WHO IS PAYING FOR ALL THIS FREE MUSIC YOU ARE ENJOYING”? The answer is the Record Label. not the Artiste.

There is nothing like free music on radio or free music on Soundcity or free music in Nite clubs or free music on blog pages. Everything is paid for and subsidized by the Record label to push the Artiste. Do you know how much a Record Label would pay a radio station for you to actually like a song? Most of the songs you hum or sing to daily in your bathroom, cars, office, gym, classroom, kitchen, your couch and finally on your bed has been paid for heavily by the record label. When you tune into your favourite radio station, you hear a song at least 10/ 15 times a day for 1 full week. Automatically this song becomes a hit because you have reluctantly accepted the song in your head from day 1 and by day 7, it's one of your all-time favourite songs.

Do you think it’s by magic that a song from nowhere automatically becomes the flavour of the month and one of your favourite tracks of all time? No. Millions of Naira has been paid to that radio station to promote that song heavily for you to like it by the Record label. The Artiste only performed the song in the studio but the Record Label has to invest millions of Naira to make that song performed by the Artiste a hit so that it can recoup the money back and pay the Artiste from the profits and royalties obtained from promoting the song.

Without the Record Label, the Artiste is nothing. There is no difference between you singing in the bathroom for free and your favourite Artiste without the backing and funds invested in the Artiste. No Artiste alive who invests in himself without the backing of the Record Label has ever made money or profit except foolish fame and we all know fame alone does not pay the bills. The Record Label everyone loves to demonizes when an Artiste runs to Social media to rant and rave about is the only source of their fame, money and lifestyle. The best an Artiste can do is produce his own songs and sell the CDs in traffic. Goodluck to that Artiste turning into Wizkid in traffic or playing songs in beer parlours!!! grin

Coming back to May D and Cynthia Morgan. The Record Label owned by Jude Okoye gave them a contract. Everything about the survival and success of them is in that Contract. What they expected was for the Record Label to turn into their Surrogate Sugar Daddies to dash them money to buy range rovers, live in Lekki, wear exotic clothes, travel first class to every country on the planet to perform in concerts, shoot million Naira music videos in South Africa, stay in 5-star hotels, pay for their limousines, food, take care of their extended family and crew and pump millions of Naira into their account for just singing a song which they consider as a hit.

Cynthia Morgan and May D did not pay over 700 radio stations all over Nigeria to play their song. They did not pay all the Music channel VJs to play their song, they did not pay over 200 bloggers to tweet and write good reviews for their songs, they did not contribute to the cost of shooting the music video from the accommodation, plane tickets, paying video vixens, paying the music director and the crew, scouting for location and wardrobe, transportation, feeding, clubbing and shopping money for themselves, their family and crew. They did not pay for the popping of champagnes in the club to boost their image, pay Djs in Nite clubs to play artistes songs and loads of payments that Cynthia Morgan and May D did not spend a dime on to push and market the Artiste and song. The second question you should ask is “WHO IS PAYING FOR ALL THIS LIFESTYLE AND MARKETING”? Answer The Record Label.

Nobody wants to know where the money is coming from to push this glamourous lifestyle. We all want to see the Artiste driving a lovely car with beautiful women around him wearing fabulous clothes but this comes at a very heavy price. Every dime spent on the Artiste to push this song must be accounted for and recouped before Artiste is going to see a dime. The record Label is not Father Christmas and does not give a rat-ass about the Artiste. It is only interested in the profits and business part. If Record Label spends N5Million on you, it expects nothing less than N10 Million before the Artiste can start seeing some money. You don’t expect the Record Label to spend all that money on the Artiste and end up running at a loss. The Record label must recoup the money spent on Artiste from sales of Cds, concert tickets, shows, endorsements and a host of other mediums to balance their books before Artiste makes 10 kobo. If the label does not make a profit because of limited concert sales, Cds sales or poor show receipts, Label is not bound to pay Artiste a profit. Any agreement Label and Artiste has whether it's 50/50/ or 70-30 must first be offset from the initial amount Label has spent to promote the Artiste. It's not rocket science. It's not wickedness. It’s just business. That’s why it’s called show business. Why would you spend N10Million on a stranger and allow that money to disappear because you love his voice or how she looks?

That’s why the Record Label ALWAYS signs a contract with Artiste to specify all these things. 90% of musicians don’t read these contracts and if they do, they hurriedly sign it because they are already dreaming of the immediate fame coming to them and money to be advanced to them to buy a car, rent a house, shoot videos, pay for their clothes, hotels and up-keep. To them, it’s as if they have hit the lottery but unknown to them, all these money given to them is just an advance that must be deducted before they start seeing 10kobo in their account.

Have you noticed no Artiste has come out to complain about a Record Label and point to the section in the contract that the Record Label has breached? Never. They know they have no case so they come to the court of public opinion to rant to gain sympathy for their carelessness, greed, ignorance and apathy. They would never employ a music lawyer to comb over the fine details of the contract. They would never sit down to be prudent to receive small money at first to reap millions later. They want to live the Cubana high chief life now and when it goes bust, they expect the Record Label to bail them out. It would never happen.

Rather the Record Label sues them to court and ALWAYS WINS because at the end of the day the truth would always come out. If Jude Okoye was to sue Cynthia Morgan and May D, I bet my house, Jude Okoye would win over and over again because everything is in the contract which they signed. Jude Okoye owes them nothing apart from what they agreed would be the sharing formula after deducting all that was spent on them previously. The Record Label is not Sinzu Money; neither is it a Sugar daddy. It's an alternative bank. What it gives the Artiste, it takes back double. It’s just part of the business and only savvy, smart and intelligent Artistes understand this game. It's not about putting the microphone on your mouth, it's about having the brains to understand the music business.
Good job done by you. Kudos, but I think you are citing Western Record Labels structure; may be South Africa. THERE IS NO SINGLE RECORD LABEL IN NIGERIA, no STRUCTURE to do that. Damn! Up and Coming Artistes even have record houses. Lol. I remember when D'banj and Ruggedman went to Abuja to propose how media houses should pay royalties and dues when they sample or play their songs.

In Nigeria now, Artistes sign Artistes without proper structure, just junks of legal papers and nonsensical percentage.

Those foolish hungry up and coming should read the agreement and terms and conditions attached to their contract before signing it for God sake, instead of shinning one yeye dirty teeth. Record labels are business minded people, no one will like to invest to lose.

Let's appreciate internet for YouTube, Apple etc. where anyone can monetize their intellectual properties.

Yahoo boys are even Label owners now, they are very extravagant in promoting their artistes and most times it work out but that's not the structure. No artiste should sign 360 contact binding, be creative, versatile, hardworking and flexible. Cynthia and MayD no get excuses for me, they just gave up at the wrong time.

NO RECORD LABEL IN NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by kramer: 8:22am On May 26, 2020
Trailblazer1:

Artists are not usually blindfolded when signing up contracts neither have there been any reports of artists signing contracts under duress.

But there's loads of reports of artists signing contracts out of hunger which is just as bad.

How many of these artists pulled off the streets would really reject a contract deal? Unless you have several record labels chasing you you'll probably take what you can get.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Yomit71(m): 8:22am On May 26, 2020
you mean people like olamide, davido will have to pay all the radio station in Nigeria before they can play their song, it's a lie. some radio station may have to pay them sef for playing their music, that's music plagiarism tongue
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Nobody: 8:28am On May 26, 2020
A lot of our artistes are not even educated so how am I to be surprised they don't understand the terms of their contracts or even bother to?
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Crownfitsme2019(m): 8:35am On May 26, 2020
If we put the blame on Cynthia Morgan

Is Kiss Daniel at fault with G-Worldwide too?
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by JessetariahMD(m): 8:38am On May 26, 2020
Mustiboy:

Lol. You think you're paying them with your data?

How dumb can some people be?
I'm thinking you'll have rights before putting someones song on a site for downloads
you'll pay for the rights
then me accesing your site you also get paid
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by AK481(m): 8:54am On May 26, 2020
PrinzCarter:
What is the man writing, do you know how much an artist makes for just shooting one video n posting on YouTube, go n search for lil Wayne ft Eminem -drop the world its over 10yrs n it has 250million views dats n ppl keep streaming it, dats money, if an artist drops one track a vid nd it goes viral let's say his career went down , how does he survive? , he starts making songs to see if he can get to d top back he drops vids so dat ppl can watch n he gets paid on YouTube dey are lots of artist doing dis eg 9ice, faze, erigga, etc wat Jude did n sum record label are doing is nt gd dey are just been greedy

Be wise ...
See what it takes to make money on YouTube.
It’s more of awareness to make more money else where

See what 360 deal means ..

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by sureteeboy(m): 8:56am On May 26, 2020
YINKS89:
they get paid on streaming platforms also infact they are lot of ways they monitize their songs these days
Yes Boss. My response is just based on the free downloads the guy talked about
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by janzguy: 8:57am On May 26, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

a record label is a biz like any other... who INVESTS in an artist career and try to recoup their investment and make a profit out of the artist's success. should artists now accept every nonsense that record labels throws at them?! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

this whole charade is trying to make it look like... [b]if an

I could smell anger from your write-up.. I suspect you are an artiste or maybe you don't totally understand the working of record label and entertainment in Nigeria and you are judging it from the Western perspectives. Everything the op said might not be totally true but it resonates around the current realities in Nigerian entertainment.

Entertainment is more complex and complicated here in Nigeria. Unlike in the West were radio stations pay you to play your songs, in Nigeria you actually pay radio stations for your songs to be played.

The typical Nigeria artiste sees record deals as a getaway from Poverty. Least we forget record labels are bigger risks than even an average company cos artistes might be a one hit Wonder!! mind you not every talented is bound to stay too long in stardom. Secondly out of 5 artistes in a label only 1 might blow.. What happens to the other 4?? They feed and live under the labels income.

Do you know why record labels always win?? It's because artistes are usually greedy and they don't care about what's in the contract, they only want that instant money the label has. They instantly hop on the big life, ride expensive cars, post fancy pics on social media and intimidate their old friends at the expenses of the label. They want all the big things immediately spend more more than they have generated.

A record label is like a normal company; you don't earn extravagantly at the expenses of the company regardless of whatever contribution you are bringing into the table. The company has to make more profit for you to live that life. Or have you ever seen a company were the workers live larger at the expense of the company? not even the CEO is allowed to do that!!!

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Nobody: 9:02am On May 26, 2020
You make very little sense and your post is very very much unbalanced and one-sided this makes it a bullshit post. No head no tail just some exaggerated nonsense.

And to respond to your nonsense, a record label should be blamed if an artist starts going down after signing them. An artist also share some blames here sometimes but most times it's the record label. If you sign an artist and do not release fund to market him/her, how can he/she sell? Now you're already concluding the record labels already done that. What if they didn't do that and that's what caused the problem?

Secondly, it's their responsibility to take good care of their artists. They must not buy them expensive gifts when the money hasn't started coming but artistes signed to your label deserve to work under comfortable and conducive conditions and atmosphere. Your post is nonsense. At least, if you want to balance the blames, you should have done that without coming out to put all blames on artistes and completely exonerating the record labels
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maobichek: 9:07am On May 26, 2020
dominique:
I agree to an extent. The labels have a bit of part to play in an artist's downward spiral

Those record labels spend millions to package an artist and want to recoup their investments in multifolds shortchanging the artists in the process. The artists seeing how much is being made off them will want to break free and make money on their own. It's only after they go solo that they realize that performing and promoting are different ball games. After some time, they start to decline. If only the record labels can make these contract more lucrative, maybe the artists won't have to quit on them before their contract expires
I must tell you the truth, this post is an eye-opener because most people here in Nairaland are ignorant of this side of the music industry. I got a little understanding of this contract and agreement last week when I called the Barrister who is in charge of my apartment, I explained to him on the negative effect of Covid-19, he sympathize with me but told me that I signed a tenancy agreement and there is nothing he can do about it.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maobichek: 9:15am On May 26, 2020
MajorOvakporaye:
if I was an artiste, I would rather go for a bread label than go for Jude Okoye's label.
. Pls don't shift the goal post ok, no artist was forced to sign and bear in mind that Peter confirmed that he offered Cynthia Morgan opportunity but she rejected it. In music industry, all record labels are not equal, Cynthia Morgan knew that Jude's record label was better than what Peter has. This post will definitely clarify a lot of misconceptions and help upcoming artists, thank you.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maliqcious: 9:16am On May 26, 2020
You too exaggerate 700 radio station what do You mean? How can you pay over a million just to get your song hired.. 1000000*700.. You see why it important not to talk than to talk brainless. If i put my song on 99.9 and people start requesting on raypower do you think raypower won't play it.. I know a lot of people that won't watch or listen to a certain station because they don't play some artist songs. You speak like a novice or someone paid you to talk. Do you know what kennis made off 2baba.. Do you think breachs the contracts at the end the artist or the record. Kizz daniel vs g wordwide. Believe it or not most of the recording companies are to be blamed. Apart from Mavin. Why do you think after an a-list artist leave, the record label is liking to die out?

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Netmuch(m): 9:20am On May 26, 2020
Nice illustration bro
Mac2016:
Everyone is profit driven but it becomes so delicate when the urge for gain is furious. You already salivating for a bowl of pap from a seed of corn that's yet to sprout out of ground. We all know such seed won't see the light of the day cos the drive to eat it will overwhelm the rate at which it can produce. Death is instant for such a crop! A

Recording companies and artistes are to be blamed!

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maobichek: 9:22am On May 26, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
I disagree abeg
before you sign any deal
no just go sign only you
. I appreciate your level of understanding, God bless you.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maobichek: 9:24am On May 26, 2020
Chimaautomobile:

What happened to ibos
Hummmm
He is only being childish and immature. Read and comprehend, he can't.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Halo22: 9:27am On May 26, 2020
But wait oooo, so most of these artistes live their lives in shadow. The 70-30 thing, is it that the label will be taking the 70% of the whole money made, while u take 30%? If that is the case, no cause for alarm. I will just write my songs, arrange them and sing. Anytime you bring show as the record label owner, I will attend. There's no need stressing myself. But for Engees to give Mr May d a room in the BQ to share with the driver, nawaoooo. So the guy be no get house before?
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maobichek: 9:30am On May 26, 2020
Shaprara:

Alot of record label owners are frauds, they find upcoming artiste, give them a contract with no counsel involved, with heaven and earth promises, they naive ones sign, then the record label owners take them around to take money in from investors, the record label owners cashes out and live the artiste hanging with no promotion, the artiste is left to fend for him or herself.
Do you think that Cynthia Morgan was naive? Peter even confirmed the he made an offer to her but she rejected. Most artists are carried away by the name, size, fame etc of the record label and would not do a thorough job on the contract they sign, God help our artists cos no record label will force you to sign, thank you.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Papichulostunne(m): 9:31am On May 26, 2020
lawyer:
I was reading online recently about how Cynthia Morgan claimed Jude Okoye scammed her while she was under his Record Label and May D led credence to her complaints about the Label not giving him his dues and generally cheating him off the good life he was supposed to enjoy as an Artiste. A lot of people immediately sympathized with these Artistes and rained Insults on Jude Okoye and every other record label out there for cheating Artistes. Many Artistes these days have made it a habit to always come on social media to blame the Record Label for stiffing them but is that really the truth? Let's delve into what goes on behind the Music Industry and explain why one Artiste is very rich and famous and the other one famous but broke.

A lot of people are very ignorant about how the Music Industry works. Free Music is everywhere you look today. Everyone can download music for free online from “notjustok.com. , tooxclusive.com etc”. You can listen to free music on any radio station you tune into all over Nigeria. You can watch free music videos on over 20 Music Channels. You can stream free video on YouTube, Spotify, Sound Cloud etc. If you like, you can go to music blog pages and download new music everywhere but the first question you should ask is “WHO IS PAYING FOR ALL THIS FREE MUSIC YOU ARE ENJOYING”? The answer is the Record Label. not the Artiste.

There is nothing like free music on radio or free music on Soundcity or free music in Nite clubs or free music on blog pages. Everything is paid for and subsidized by the Record label to push the Artiste. Do you know how much a Record Label would pay a radio station for you to actually like a song? Most of the songs you hum or sing to daily in your bathroom, cars, office, gym, classroom, kitchen, your couch and finally on your bed has been paid for heavily by the record label. When you tune into your favourite radio station, you hear a song at least 10/ 15 times a day for 1 full week. Automatically this song becomes a hit because you have reluctantly accepted the song in your head from day 1 and by day 7, it's one of your all-time favourite songs.

Do you think it’s by magic that a song from nowhere automatically becomes the flavour of the month and one of your favourite tracks of all time? No. Millions of Naira has been paid to that radio station to promote that song heavily for you to like it by the Record label. The Artiste only performed the song in the studio but the Record Label has to invest millions of Naira to make that song performed by the Artiste a hit so that it can recoup the money back and pay the Artiste from the profits and royalties obtained from promoting the song.

Without the Record Label, the Artiste is nothing. There is no difference between you singing in the bathroom for free and your favourite Artiste without the backing and funds invested in the Artiste. No Artiste alive who invests in himself without the backing of the Record Label has ever made money or profit except foolish fame and we all know fame alone does not pay the bills. The Record Label everyone loves to demonizes when an Artiste runs to Social media to rant and rave about is the only source of their fame, money and lifestyle. The best an Artiste can do is produce his own songs and sell the CDs in traffic. Goodluck to that Artiste turning into Wizkid in traffic or playing songs in beer parlours!!! grin

Coming back to May D and Cynthia Morgan. The Record Label owned by Jude Okoye gave them a contract. Everything about the survival and success of them is in that Contract. What they expected was for the Record Label to turn into their Surrogate Sugar Daddies to dash them money to buy range rovers, live in Lekki, wear exotic clothes, travel first class to every country on the planet to perform in concerts, shoot million Naira music videos in South Africa, stay in 5-star hotels, pay for their limousines, food, take care of their extended family and crew and pump millions of Naira into their account for just singing a song which they consider as a hit.

Cynthia Morgan and May D did not pay over 700 radio stations all over Nigeria to play their song. They did not pay all the Music channel VJs to play their song, they did not pay over 200 bloggers to tweet and write good reviews for their songs, they did not contribute to the cost of shooting the music video from the accommodation, plane tickets, paying video vixens, paying the music director and the crew, scouting for location and wardrobe, transportation, feeding, clubbing and shopping money for themselves, their family and crew. They did not pay for the popping of champagnes in the club to boost their image, pay Djs in Nite clubs to play artistes songs and loads of payments that Cynthia Morgan and May D did not spend a dime on to push and market the Artiste and song. The second question you should ask is “WHO IS PAYING FOR ALL THIS LIFESTYLE AND MARKETING”? Answer The Record Label.

Nobody wants to know where the money is coming from to push this glamourous lifestyle. We all want to see the Artiste driving a lovely car with beautiful women around him wearing fabulous clothes but this comes at a very heavy price. Every dime spent on the Artiste to push this song must be accounted for and recouped before Artiste is going to see a dime. The record Label is not Father Christmas and does not give a rat-ass about the Artiste. It is only interested in the profits and business part. If Record Label spends N5Million on you, it expects nothing less than N10 Million before the Artiste can start seeing some money. You don’t expect the Record Label to spend all that money on the Artiste and end up running at a loss. The Record label must recoup the money spent on Artiste from sales of Cds, concert tickets, shows, endorsements and a host of other mediums to balance their books before Artiste makes 10 kobo. If the label does not make a profit because of limited concert sales, Cds sales or poor show receipts, Label is not bound to pay Artiste a profit. Any agreement Label and Artiste has whether it's 50/50/ or 70-30 must first be offset from the initial amount Label has spent to promote the Artiste. It's not rocket science. It's not wickedness. It’s just business. That’s why it’s called show business. Why would you spend N10Million on a stranger and allow that money to disappear because you love his voice or how she looks?

That’s why the Record Label ALWAYS signs a contract with Artiste to specify all these things. 90% of musicians don’t read these contracts and if they do, they hurriedly sign it because they are already dreaming of the immediate fame coming to them and money to be advanced to them to buy a car, rent a house, shoot videos, pay for their clothes, hotels and up-keep. To them, it’s as if they have hit the lottery but unknown to them, all these money given to them is just an advance that must be deducted before they start seeing 10kobo in their account.

Have you noticed no Artiste has come out to complain about a Record Label and point to the section in the contract that the Record Label has breached? Never. They know they have no case so they come to the court of public opinion to rant to gain sympathy for their carelessness, greed, ignorance and apathy. They would never employ a music lawyer to comb over the fine details of the contract. They would never sit down to be prudent to receive small money at first to reap millions later. They want to live the Cubana high chief life now and when it goes bust, they expect the Record Label to bail them out. It would never happen.

Rather the Record Label sues them to court and ALWAYS WINS because at the end of the day the truth would always come out. If Jude Okoye was to sue Cynthia Morgan and May D, I bet my house, Jude Okoye would win over and over again because everything is in the contract which they signed. Jude Okoye owes them nothing apart from what they agreed would be the sharing formula after deducting all that was spent on them previously. The Record Label is not Sinzu Money; neither is it a Sugar daddy. It's an alternative bank. What it gives the Artiste, it takes back double. It’s just part of the business and only savvy, smart and intelligent Artistes understand this game. It's not about putting the microphone on your mouth, it's about having the brains to understand the music business.

You said it all plus 1.. Deep respect for you mahn.!
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by bacilus(m): 9:51am On May 26, 2020
abobote:
While music label have a major role to play in packaging and marketing an artist, if you are good, nothing can bring you down, not even the force of gravity
Have you not seen first class graduates with no jobs?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Rick Ross’ “hold Me Back” Video Tells The World About Nigerians / DJ Computer Love Remix Davido's Freestyle / Fela Kuti: 15 Year Anniversary: Your Favourite Fela Lyrics And Quotes Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.