Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,550 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall (32972 Views)

Do I Need Juju To Blow As A Musician? / What Is The Difference Between A Singer And A Musician? / Skiibii Dumps 5 Star Music Record Label, To Launch His Own Label With New Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maobichek: 9:53am On May 26, 2020
Ishaquine:
Don't mind the dummy. What about Peter Okoye that left ehn.
May D slept in the boys quarter in a single room with the driver and another worker while making hits and he's here saying rubbish. It is business for the record label too if not why would they have signed them.
Peter Okoye was not signed by PSquare, Peter was part and parcel of PSquare, Peter Okoye should be part of the blame if you talk about May D, The riches, houses, fame etc Peter has came via PSquare, Peter left because he wanted to change the sharing formula in PSquare but Paul said no; the proceeds from PSquare was shared equally among 3 of them but Peter insisted that a manager (Jude) should not get the same share with him and Paul cos they do more job than him (Jude); Peter even suggested that Jude should be relieved as their manager but Paul said no, this is why PSquare broke up, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Maobichek: 10:02am On May 26, 2020
fadar095:
Seriously I don't see any sense in this..... do you know how much does label realise in just a show??
Let's use Kiss Daniel as an example when in he was with G-world wide, his boss do pay him 30k per month
Just imagine someone like kiss Daniel with that kinda salary despite his shows and tours
I just think those record labels should be fair with their dealing and contract
That's one of the major reason I respect YBNL, he's helped some many young artiste
Why will you call yourself a record label boss living a sumptuous life at detriment of your employees...... we all have conscience
I appreciate your level of understanding but if you have worked in a bank as a marketer you will understand that a target given to you must be made or you are sacked, our records label should have human face cos the story of K Daniel makes my heart to bleed . Artists should always do a thorough job before signing any contract, thank you.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by oluspicy: 10:15am On May 26, 2020
Thanks for the this piece of information.

I remember vividly the Law of Contract in those days @ LCP where Barr. Olatemiju lectured us how we must be very careful when entering into any contract and all clauses in the contract document must be well explained.

Someone once said that there are three people you must have as friends...a lawyer is one of them.

Be very careful when entering into any contract to avoid story that touches.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Slynation(m): 10:22am On May 26, 2020
azpekuliar:

Everyone has now had the benefit of listening to the 3 sides of the story (Cynthia’s, Joy’s & Jude’s) and my conclusion is that apart from being unprofessional, Cynthia is an ingrate who should not be touched with a 10 feet pole!
You are right... But I'm yet to read Joy's account of the case tho... But what I know is that people should leave Jude alone, the feud is between Jude,Rudeboy and Mr P and it's 2 against 1.... Meaning their is something they don't wanna disclose to the public and i know for sure Jude is simply abiding to their moms last wish before she died which Mr P is against... So until then Nigerians should leave Jude alone because it's family issues...
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by YINKS89(m): 10:27am On May 26, 2020
sureteeboy:

Yes Boss. My response is just based on the free downloads the guy talked about
I get uuu..... wink
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by deltaprincess(f): 10:42am On May 26, 2020
Heistman:
lol u ehn,you just talking offpoint trying to form learned, greed and ignorance of artists right? So it's ok for record labels or any other organization to take advantage of your ignorance / cos your family can't afford to support your career ??

chillax ehn ,I hope one day you find yourself in a similar scenario..so u gon understand better cos u can't get what u not part of....

There is nothing off point here. Music is not for everybody.

If you know you can't go by the contract then look for a job and when you are 80 years and have saved enough. Then do your music.

It is not by force!!

Una like to enjoy Record label investment but don't like them to reap their investments.

Very greedy fellow!!

2 Likes

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Xclusiveme: 10:49am On May 26, 2020
Don't mind them. A downfall of an artist will always be blamed on the record label while the success will be only on the artist. Yeye pple.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Xclusiveme: 10:51am On May 26, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
so youre telling me all those music I'm downloading with mb percentage don't go to the labels?
all those albums that are online all those movies that we download percentage doesn't go to the people who own them?
I disagree abeg
A rapper Mos def once said
You can't sign me for a hundred dollar and take away my millions
before you sign any deal
Get yourself a competent lawyer
no just go sign only you

Downloading their music doesn't give them a dime. Only if you're streaming their music on music platforms like YouTube, spotify, Apple music
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Xclusiveme: 10:53am On May 26, 2020
Shaprara:

Alot of record label owners are frauds, they find upcoming artiste, give them a contract with no counsel involved, with heaven and earth promises, they naive ones sign, then the record label owners take them around to take money in from investors, the record label owners cashes out and live the artiste hanging with no promotion, the artiste is left to fend for him or herself.

That's what u think but it's not easy
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Xclusiveme: 10:54am On May 26, 2020
Beverlyjean:

Investing in an artiste is a huge risk...the artiste could b a one hit wonder, so they try to recoup their money on time incase the artiste fades faster that a shadow nearing nightfall

Hahahaa eg. Korede bello. Seems Jazzy has left that one
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Xclusiveme: 10:56am On May 26, 2020
JessetariahMD:

My man no vex o
enlighten me o
so all this movie sites and uhmm music site
are you telling me they don't make money from downloads?
I mean the directors of the movies and the labels

So far as free download is concerned, there's no money to be made. What gives those site money is the ads placed on the site. That's why you see multiple ads when downloading a movie
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Xclusiveme: 10:59am On May 26, 2020
Eryyy92:
I don't give a Bleep
wetin I wan knw be say
who give those Arewa boys money to buy those cars

Lol their dads na prestigious pple o
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Xclusiveme: 11:00am On May 26, 2020
Carlmax:
Chance the Rapper made it without a music label... Just wanted y'all to know that.

Zlatan nko
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by zimakod(m): 11:06am On May 26, 2020
Truth. profit is why they signed every upcoming artiste
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Attackerokenwa: 11:13am On May 26, 2020
Thanks for giving us insight on this music world
Now I know better
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by abbiboy: 11:18am On May 26, 2020
[quote author=dominique post=89957458]I agree to an extent. The labels have a bit of part to play in an artist's downward spiral

Those record labels spend millions to package an artist and want to recoup their investments in multifolds shortchanging the artists in the process. The artists seeing how much is being made off them will want to break free and make money on their own. It's only after they go solo that they realize that performing and promoting are different ball games. After some time, they start to decline. If only the record labels can make these contract more lucrative, maybe the artists won't have to quit on them before their contract expires[/quote
I'm sure u didn't read the full script,all u re concern is first to comment.record label ain't sugar daddy.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by PrinzCarter(m): 11:18am On May 26, 2020
AK481:

Be wise ...
See what it takes to make money on YouTube.
It’s more of awareness to make more money else where

See what 360 deal means ..
wise man wat m saying is dat dis label are gaining alot and nt giving d artist a better share of d deal nd one more tin am a YouTuber
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by abbiboy: 11:24am On May 26, 2020
Heistman:
Record label go spend 5# on u .. hoping to realize 5 million....

At some point den go don make 500k over your head but still continue to dey pay u d 2kobo u signed in the deal from day 1 cos of your naivety and desperacy...

If u con para scatter all..

Record label go rush to media say u dey owe Dem 4.5 m....ever wonder why all d hell den dey promise artist wey vex Comot bfr d end of hin contract no dey happen laslas and most times den go settle outside of court

You're not different from cynthia morgan n May D.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by azpekuliar: 11:24am On May 26, 2020
Slynation:

You are right... But I'm yet to read Joy's account of the case tho... But what I know is that people should leave Jude alone, the feud is between Jude,Rudeboy and Mr P and it's 2 against 1.... Meaning their is something they don't wanna disclose to the public and i know for sure Jude is simply abiding to their moms last wish before she died which Mr P is against... So until then Nigerians should leave Jude alone because it's family issues...

Thank you but let's not mix up the issues. Going by the bolded I believe you are referring to the break-up between the members of P-square and their manager, Jude as well as their inability to reconcile and perform together again as one group & management outfit.
The feud between Cynthia Morgan Vs Joy Tongo and Jude Okoye is a different matter and was what I was addressing.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by abbiboy: 11:25am On May 26, 2020
JessetariahMD:
I disagree
so youre telling me all those music I'm downloading with mb percentage don't go to the labels?
all those albums that are online all those movies that we download percentage doesn't go to the people who own them?
I disagree abeg
A rapper Mos def once said
You can't sign me for a hundred dollar and take away my millions
before you sign any deal
Get yourself a competent lawyer
no just go sign only you

Na record label u buy MB from,see ur bold igorance.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by abbiboy: 11:28am On May 26, 2020
Shaprara:

Alot of record label owners are frauds, they find upcoming artiste, give them a contract with no counsel involved, with heaven and earth promises, they naive ones sign, then the record label owners take them around to take money in from investors, the record label owners cashes out and live the artiste hanging with no promotion, the artiste is left to fend for him or herself.

Ur first contract did ur employer or benefactor provide a counsel for u,think before u type.haba!
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Shaprara: 11:36am On May 26, 2020
Maobichek:
Do you think that Cynthia Morgan was naive? Peter even confirmed the he made an offer to her but she rejected. Most artists are carried away by the name, size, fame etc of the record label and would not do a thorough job on the contract they sign, God help our artists cos no record label will force you to sign, thank you.

She rejected because her previous label Northside Recors pressured her to reject. In Peter's statement he said she rejected because she didn't want to be in the caught up in the family feud.

1 Like

Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Slynation(m): 11:36am On May 26, 2020
azpekuliar:

Thank you but let's not mix up the issues. Going by the bolded I believe you are referring to the break-up between the members of P-square and their manager, Jude as well as their inability to reconcile and perform together again as one group & management outfit.
The feud between Cynthia Morgan Vs Joy Tongo and Jude Okoye is a different matter and was what I was addressing.
Yea i know but i just had to deviate a little bit because that's the sole reason some Nigerians wants that young mans head and i can bet my scrotum most of them gat unresolved family issues as well... grin if i had been in the industry just like Cynthia Morgan and MayD, I will never fall like that, even if they took away everything from them, did they also collect all the musics from their body? grin make they allow us rest joor
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by azpekuliar: 11:44am On May 26, 2020
mordred44:
So mayD also sign to sleep on tv carton....abeg make nobody quote me na question i ask

Go siddon oga which kain yeye entitlement be dat sef

I give you my BQ make you stay for free, if you no fit buy common mattress put inside na your problem be that.

Verse wey e do with Akon na im make am come get mouth to dey ask for house for Lekki, BMW X6 (wey Paul dey drive that year) and N3m to hold body before e go sign contract.. grin cheesy

As e no gree sign con commot sebi e don overblow now cheesy
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Shaprara: 11:45am On May 26, 2020
Emmerlee:

You people and your emotions.. It's hard to deal with people who are never factual. How can you say the record label give them contract and then say they leave them hanging again? What then is in the contract that was signed? Do you guys even understand what a contract is? Have you asked if the artists are even consulting a legal counsel before appending their signatures? Are they made to sign at gun point?

You people should please remove your heads from your arses. angry.

You haven't met an upcoming artiste and the hunger to be in th studio and tv screens and also the urge to have their sound out there that they would literally do anything. Meet a music executive, you will be promised heaven and earth, you will be exposed to a lot of flashy things, you will even record sounds for free stored somewhere within your reach, you get drowned in the life, based on all you've seen, you put pen to paper and boom that's it. The music executive lobbies for investors, luckily he gets some, meaning he gets paid a big amount of money, he spends a few on you and your music, you make small Doe, you are reeling in the life, now from the little you made for yourself you need to start taking care of yourself and your expenses, the music boss bails out, you are left to promote yourself, and you have obligation to bring in some money, your contract expires, you didn't meet that obligation, now you are owing the record label. If you sign somewhere else you must pay what you owe, they own your Masters, you may never perform any of your songs from the previous label until you pay what you owe. Not all record label are guilty of this but a lot of them.

Do you know a couple of upcoming artiste you see flexing on IG with nic videos are actually on monthly salary ?
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Shaprara: 11:52am On May 26, 2020
Kiss Daniel was bouyant enough to face his former label, G-worldwide in court, and you would think he did that on his own, obviously there's an investor somewhere pushing the buttons for him, willing to toe the line with him. So is runtown too, the females don't find it that way in Nigeria, check the life span of a female artiste to the male colleague. That aside, we'll never know the full story to the Cynthia morgan debacle, she made hit songs after she left the record label too but according to her account she had health problems and family issues and she needed to go back home, don't know how true that is but things happen. My point is at the first point in her career with record label bosses, the chances of taking advantage of her talent and career is 85% , that's the case for many artiste in Nigeria.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by JessetariahMD(m): 11:55am On May 26, 2020
abbiboy:

Na record label u buy MB from,see ur bold igorance.
Mr man since you know all you should have been the president of USA and Prime minister of Canada at the same time
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Shaprara: 11:56am On May 26, 2020
abbiboy:

Ur first contract did ur employer or benefactor provide a counsel for u,think before u type.haba!

After your work interview, you get the job, do you bring in your counsel to advice you to sign the job contract or not, especially if it is your first job, you sign anyway.

In many cases, where label owners are looking to take advantage of the artiste, the write the contract, even sometimes use the same counsel for the artiste and the management. There are bad executives out there bro.

Read the Katy Perry story.
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Gentlec198(m): 12:06pm On May 26, 2020
I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A CLEAR,THOROUGH,SPECIFIC AND WELL DETAILED UNDERSTANDING ABOUT THE SHOW BUSINESS INDUSTRY,BETWEEN THE RECORD LABEL AND THE ARTISTE,SO THEY CAN BE ON THE SAME PAGE.BECAUSE MUSIC IS EXPENSIVE AND LUCRATIVE ONE TOO
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Ishaquine(m): 12:13pm On May 26, 2020
Maobichek:
Peter Okoye was not signed by PSquare, Peter was part and parcel of PSquare, Peter Okoye should be part of the blame if you talk about May D, The riches, houses, fame etc Peter has came via PSquare, Peter left because he wanted to change the sharing formula in PSquare but Paul said no; the proceeds from PSquare was shared equally among 3 of them but Peter insisted that a manager (Jude) should not get the same share with him and Paul cos they do more job than him (Jude); Peter even suggested that Jude should be relieved as their manager but Paul said no, this is why PSquare broke up, thank you.
Wow, you're a nice script writer. This is not even what Peter said happened. You all making things up for us to see Peter as this bad guy. 3 peole already left the group now and you're still saying they are the ones at fault
Re: Why A Record Label Should Never Be Blamed For A Musician's Down Fall by Emmerlee(m): 12:26pm On May 26, 2020
Shaprara:

You haven't met an upcoming artiste and the hunger to be in th studio and tv screens and also the urge to have their sound out there that they would literally do anything. Meet a music executive, you will be promised heaven and earth, you will be exposed to a lot of flashy things, you will even record sounds for free stored somewhere within your reach, you get drowned in the life, based on all you've seen, you put pen to paper and boom that's it. The music executive lobbies for investors, luckily he gets some, meaning he gets paid a big amount of money, he spends a few on you and your music, you make small Doe, you are reeling in the life, now from the little you made for yourself you need to start taking care of yourself and your expenses, the music boss bails out, you are left to promote yourself, and you have obligation to bring in some money, your contract expires, you didn't meet that obligation, now you are owing the record label. If you sign somewhere else you must pay what you owe, they own your Masters, you may never perform any of your songs from the previous label until you pay what you owe. Not all record label are guilty of this but a lot of them.

Do you know a couple of upcoming artiste you see flexing on IG with nic videos are actually on monthly salary ?

That is why they need a Legal counsel. Signing a contract is not by force bro. If an artist is ready to do "anything" to get what they want how is that anyone's problem? No need for all these emotions, Record label is not a monopoly and artists can always go to others or even create one. All these sense of entitlement is absolute rubbish. Businesses are not run on emotions. You said music executives promise heaven on earth? Let the artist demand that those promises be made official in a contract. That's how it is done, to avoid stories that touch.

Bro, the business world is straightforward just that we are too emotional and maybe senseless here. Most of these so called "cheated" artists cannot even sue their labels in a law court because they know they have no case really.

I tire for Nigerians, we are too emotional and that is why we are easily shortchanged too. We are shortchanged in almost every area of life including government because our lives center on emotions and never on facts!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Rick Ross’ “hold Me Back” Video Tells The World About Nigerians / DJ Computer Love Remix Davido's Freestyle / What Are Those Cool Songs You Listen To At Night After A Hectic Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.