Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,327 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! (12888 Views)

Pictures Of Abandoned And Delapidated Street Telephone Booths. / Pictures Of Abandoned And Dilapidated Telephone-Booths In Abuja. / Pictures Of Abandoned And Delapidated Street Telephone Booths. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by cheikh: 11:18pm On Jan 21, 2011
@Nwa Nnewi
Even now, it is not too late to squeeze in some planning with[b] infusion of federal money to motivte and compensate property owners to yield to adjustments that may be needed.
[/b]

@Nwa Nnewi

Pls what's the role of the Local and State governments in all of this if the Federal is expected to 'infuse' some money to motivate and compensate etc? Are you not expecting too much from a 'faraway' federal government?  Think small/ local solutions for local problems. It's obvious that infrastructural development/planning for the town will have a far reaching impact locally/nationally and internationally so the local government should be the prime mover of the vision/ sell the idea adequately to the State government before 'outsiders' or 'faraway' federal will become interested for obvious political gain just like the 'Airports' in various parts of the country. Politicians do not have long range plans especially in Nigeria where words like 'Planning' and 'Masterplan' etc are 'turanci' wink Only local people and perhaps [b]serious [/b]State governments can effect tangible solutions for local/state matters- hence in my earlier post I asked - what happened to the Igbo? renowned for self help/ community spirit? Did the war also destroy/rip their creativity apart? I sincerely do not believe that. Serious thinking is needed and not 'dependency' syndrome- on a 'faraway' inept federal government.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by asha80(m): 11:24pm On Jan 21, 2011
cheikh:

@Nwa Nnewi[/b]

@Nwa Nnewi

Pls what's the role of the Local and State governments in all of this if the Federal is expected to 'infuse' some money to motivate and compensate etc? Are you not expecting too much from a 'faraway' federal government?  Think small/ local solutions for local problems. It's obvious that infrastructural development/planning for the town will have a far reaching impact locally/nationally and internationally so the local government should be the prime mover of the vision/ sell the idea adequately to the State government before 'outsiders' or 'faraway' federal will become interested for obvious political gain just like the 'Airports' in various parts of the country. Politicians do not have long range plans especially in Nigeria where words like 'Planning' and 'Masterplan' etc are 'turanci' wink Only local people and perhaps serious [/b]State governments can effect tangible solutions for local/state matters- [b]hence in my earlier post I asked - what happened to the Igbo? renowned for self help/ community spirit? Did the war also destroy/rip their creativity apart? I sincerely do not believe that. Serious thinking is needed and not 'dependency' syndrome- on a 'faraway' inept federal government.

people in nnewi have already done that and that is the reason we are even having this discussion in the first place after all nnewi was neither a strategic place for the colonialist nor is it the state capital but the indegenes made it what is is now.

dependency syndrome has already being created because of the kind of 'federalism' or is it rent economy we are practising.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by cheikh: 12:06am On Jan 22, 2011
@Abagworo
I would want to believe that you are not calling Lagos Yorubaland.

@Abagworo
Is Enugu Igboland? Actually Lagos(Eko) is Bini land tongue cheesy grin, Pedantic and foolish!
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Onlytruth(m): 1:51am On Jan 22, 2011
Posted by: asha 80

people in nnewi have already done that and that is the reason we are even having this discussion in the first place after all nnewi was neither a strategic place for the colonialist nor is it the state capital but the indegenes made it what is is now.

dependency syndrome has already being created because of the kind of 'federalism' or is it rent economy we are practising.

Thank you for the bolded words.

Posted by: cheikh

@Nwa Nnewi

Pls what's the role of the Local and State governments in all of this if the Federal is expected to 'infuse' some money to motivate and compensate etc? Are you not expecting too much from a 'faraway' federal government?  Think small/ local solutions for local problems. It's obvious that infrastructural development/planning for the town will have a far reaching impact locally/nationally and internationally so the local government should be the prime mover of the vision/ sell the idea adequately to the State government before 'outsiders' or 'faraway' federal will become interested for obvious political gain just like the 'Airports' in various parts of the country. Politicians do not have long range plans especially in Nigeria where words like 'Planning' and 'Masterplan' etc are 'turanci' Wink Only local people and perhaps serious State governments can effect tangible solutions for local/state matters- hence in my earlier post I asked - what happened to the Igbo? renowned for self help/ community spirit? Did the war also destroy/rip their creativity apart? I sincerely do not believe that. Serious thinking is needed and not 'dependency' syndrome- on a 'faraway' inept federal government.

I generally agree with the first bolded except that I believe that Nnewi hosts some strategic industries (auto and technical ) which should attract the interest and attention of the federal government. That is standard practice in all the advanced countries of the world. Nigeria has simply chosen to remain backward by ignoring this town irrespective of the prospects of these industries.

I also think that the second bolded may not be far from the truth. Since Biafra, Igbo have not been the same.  cry cry cry Today, I struggle to see the attributes which made it possible for Igbo to fight in Biafra. What we have now is this strange, dark, foreign, "soul-less" culture, cry cry cry whereby every public official is after his/her own purse. That is not Ndigbo. That culture was imposed by the civil war victors.

Having said that, I am a LOCAL man cool (if you get my drift), I believe in solving my own problems, and most Nnewi folks think like that.

I believe in implementing the existing master plan piecemeal. It is still possible. All the state government needs to do is find the right partnership between the state and local business people (and even Nnewi folks throughout Nigeria and beyond). The state government will need the services of a competent consulting firm to orchestra this action.

We can save the town and develop it properly.

I still have to point the blame first to leadership at the state level. Nnewi is a multibillion naira town. All that is needed is the right leadership at the state level.

1 Like

Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KnowAll(m): 3:20pm On Jan 22, 2011
m
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by babapupa: 7:08pm On Jan 22, 2011
omongbatim:

So what have your own elected leaders done for their people since Awo died?

Ode, you fools are too defensive for your own good. Are we talking about Yoruba city abi na me dey cry about about the federal government? Olodo,
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Olaedo1: 7:13pm On Jan 22, 2011
babapupa:

Ode, you fools are too defensive for your own good. Are we talking about ant Yoruba city abi na me dey cry about about the federal government? Olodo,

I don't think he was the one or any of the Igbos the bring up any thing about yorubas though.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by babapupa: 7:19pm On Jan 22, 2011
Ola edo:

I don't think he was the one or any of the Igbos the bring up any thing about yorubas though.

Was Awolowo ibo or Hausa?
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Olaedo1: 7:25pm On Jan 22, 2011
babapupa:

Was Awolowo ibo or Hausa?

You are not getting where i'm coming from.What he said was more of a reaction from fellow yorubas bringing up things that have to do with yorubas in this thread.The things were rather negative so you can't really blame him for doing that. Search for the beginning point that caused his remark.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by babapupa: 7:39pm On Jan 22, 2011
Ola edo:

You are not getting where i'm coming from.What he said was more of a reaction from fellow yorubas bringing up things that have to do with yorubas in this thread.The things were rather negative so you can't really blame him for doing that. Search for the beginning point that caused his remark.
I quoted him based on what he quoted and said, not because of what other people posted.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by dempeople(m): 9:17pm On Jan 22, 2011
Some people intentionally like to derail topics especially when it has to do with Ndigbo. We're here to discuss the topic and not Awolowo this or that. Babapupa, what's your own? Can't you respect the thread's title. Find your way, seriously.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Olaedo1: 9:41pm On Jan 22, 2011
babapupa:

I quoted him based on what he quoted and said, not because of what other people posted.

No wahala.point taken cool
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by cheikh: 1:25am On Jan 23, 2011
@Onlytruth
That is standard practice in all the[b] advance[/b]d countries of the world. Nigeria has simply chosen to remain backward by ignoring this town irrespective of the prospects of these industries.

@Onlytruth

Pls grin we are talking about a place(Nigeria) where the 'natural' aspiration of the so called leader(s) is to loot/invest abroad sad. I think that you're rather too optimistic in associating Nigeria with the bolded words in a sentence. You are very correct in pointing out that the backwardness of Nigeria has everything to do with 'national Choice'. I still believe that the Igbo/State government should be the Primary drivers of the development and if the Federal finds it interesting enough for overall National development so be it or goodluck to Nigeria(pun unintended) but don't be hopeful, because it's not in the Nigerian character to do the right thing if history is our guide wink I hope the Governor and his advisers can think big/creatively. It's all about 'Vision'/ the 'big picture'.
Think global act Local that's the key wink I am 100% for the Local by all of us or else how do we get anything off the starting block etc? I'm in full support for the 'local' in everything cool
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by cheikh: 1:41am On Jan 23, 2011
@babapupa
Ode, you fools are too defensive for your own good. Are we talking about Yoruba city abi na me dey cry about about the federal government? Olodo,

@babapupa

Pls baba do you ever get tired of fighting/negativity? The Igbo on this forum have politely asked some of their 'detractors' to chill or focus on the Op wink Pls relax and stop the nitpicking. Be the 'big' person and make a positive contribution if you can cool It's no big deal after all wink
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by DrSmile1: 12:37pm On Jan 23, 2011
God bless the starter of this thread. I spent my Christmas and New year holiday in Nnewichi Nnewi. It was fun though but my car belly and bumpers really felt the bite of the bad roads. Am proud to be from Nnewi and proud that most of the industries and wealth in Nnewi are self made without help from the government.
No doubt that we Igbo's are hustlers by nature and with or without government help, we'll surely make it.

I must commend the security this last holiday, I moved freely without fear. I spent most of my groove @ Beverly Hills another masterpiece by Gabros, whom I learnt is an elder brother to Innoson.

Any Okongram (Okongwu) in da house?
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:44pm On Jan 23, 2011
From reading comments on this thread I stayed trying to picture this Nnewi place and the only recurring image was that of a glorified slum! Japan of Africa my nuts! A place which has been described as having decrepit industries and bad roads (As alluded by the last poster) is not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Japan! Sounds like Ibo chest beating at work again!
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by ikeyman00(m): 5:28pm On Jan 23, 2011
^^^^

typical colombain yahooooooooooooooooooo oh oh statement

touch and scratch his tail lipsrsealed
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Abagworo(m): 10:46pm On Jan 23, 2011
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Abagworo(m): 11:13pm On Jan 23, 2011
cheikh:

@Abagworo

@Abagworo
Is Enugu Igboland? Actually Lagos(Eko) is Bini land tongue cheesy grin, Pedantic and foolish!

I saw this late but I need to enlighten you a bit.There is something called aborigine or native.If you say that the aborigines of Lagos are Yorubas then you are correct.Abuja for example is a new capital that replaced Lagos.The aborigines are the ''Gwari''(IBB's ethnic group) but calling Abuja Gwari land removes its cosmopolitan status.

So in this sort of argument,it is better to compare Nnewi with Owo.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Dale1(m): 4:04am On Jan 24, 2011
There is truth that Nnewi, along with most Nigerian towns cities or whatever need "progress". The poster and most of the Igbos have rightly focused on this town and the need for govermental involvement. There should be no quarell with that. What shows up here in the posts is the frustrations of most Nigerians, but being passionately and clearly expressed by Igbos, Afterall the discussion is about Nnewi and not Ijebu Ode or Owo even though the SAME plight affects all these towns.
Nobody should begrudge them from expressing their frustartions.
The backwardness of Nnewi, Sagamu, Aba, Ore, Ibadan, Onitsha etc is a failure of leadership, irrespective of tribe. If we as Nigerians can rise up to demand accountability from the so called rulers, then things are likely to be different. It does not help to have Yorubas blaming Igbos for complaining or Igbos (not all) blaming Yorubas for their plight or mistakenly assuming that once they have Biafra, some form of Utopia will suddenly arrive for Igbos in spite of lack of purposeful leadership. Plus that dream just continues to alienate the Igbos from the political framework of Nigeria as it currently exists. My advice is to focus on the entity Nigeria that you are currently part of, rather than hoping to have development only after Biafra has arrived.
I am Yoruba and I feel for the Igbos plight but I dont agree blaming each other is way to go. Let's work harder to have responsive elected officials in every corner of this country. Just my 2 cents.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by cheikh: 11:56pm On Jan 24, 2011
@Abagworo
If you say that the aborigines of Lagos are Yorubas then you are correct.Abuja for example is a new capital that replaced Lagos.The aborigines are the ''Gwari''(IBB's ethnic group)

@Abagworo
You have made my point hence I added 'pedantic and foolish' because it's unnecessary [/b]to engage in such 'sophistry'/analysis because the geography of the place in the layman's understanding/perception/reality ==[b]Yoruba land. We all know the history of Lagos or any other colonial towns/cities hence I mentioned Enugu(tongue in cheek) tongue. I hope you understand my drift. I am not disputing/negating your point.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by babymercy(f): 12:50pm On Jan 28, 2011
i know we will make it one day;it's just a matter of time.we will build a new nnewi city for d world to come in.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by frankoko(m): 10:29am On May 16, 2011
very interesting to read this topic but sorry to say Peter Obi has failed the people of Anambra 8 years of governance and nothing to show he never worked on roads (ngige did the roads in anambra) road to awka is terrible sad may God forgive him
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 14, 2013
lokya: I agree with the poster. My parents Told me they They once stayed in the military barracks at nnewi that was long before we were given birth to. For me i expect the place to be a city

Ur momma lied to u. thr is no military Barack in Nnewi.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 14, 2013
dem_people: People often forget that Anambra state receives one of the lowest federal allocations albeit the numerous businesses in the state. Its IGR is about N12BN per annum. With the meagre finance at its disposal, its really quite challenging to invest massively in infrastructure. Nnewi, just like other cities in Anambra, is unplanned. I currently have the draft of the master plans for Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi with me which was designed by the United Nations Human Habitat Programme. To implement the plans requires at least more than N1.3tn.

Its a challenge but I think the governor is waiting on the FG for some assistance e.g. designating Anambra as an oil producing state - which ofcourse, will guarantee much more funds available to the state coffers.
Hello, can you share a copy of this plan. You can upload to 4shared and post the link.
I more interested in the map not the bulky write up.
Cheers!
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by babyblissShop: 12:34pm On Jul 14, 2013
There was a military barracks in Nnewi before the war. Please verify facts before calling someone's mother a lair. E tire me for una o!
patmaine:

Ur momma lied to u. thr is no military Barack in Nnewi.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Ichietome: 6:06pm On Sep 21, 2017
Lalasticlala, seun, mynd44 and other mods please move this thread to front page once again!

The present state of Nnewi requires urgent government attention.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Ichietome: 6:12pm On Sep 21, 2017
Lalasticlala, seun, mynd44 and other mods please move this thread to front page.

Nnewi is in such a deplorable state that it requires dire government attention

OH, how hath the mighty fallen.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by MetaPhysical: 9:04pm On Sep 21, 2017
KaluAkanu:

I put the picture of Igwe Orizu, because he is the traditional ruler of Nnewi.

And the writer is simply stating his grievances concerning the sorry state that this big city is in. Village or city, Nnewi needs a lot of infrastructural investment.

This is Peter Obi's domain and he needs to invest in infrastructural projects in Anambra state as a whole. People around Alaigbo, are watching him to see the good he will bring for his state.

Really, Peter Obi is from Nnewi? Why is he building malls in other regions, does Nnewi not need super malls?
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 14, 2017

Hello, can you share a copy of this plan. You can upload to 4shared and post the link.
I more interested in the map not the bulky write up.
Cheers!
Nobody I also need the plan. Send me that if you have it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sagay: Buhari Should Sack Emefiele As CBN Governor / FG To Privatise Railways, Inland Waterways, 6 Others In 2015 / Traders In Kano Kick Against Obasanjo, Endorse Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.