Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! (12893 Views)

Pictures Of Abandoned And Delapidated Street Telephone Booths. / Pictures Of Abandoned And Dilapidated Telephone-Booths In Abuja. / Pictures Of Abandoned And Delapidated Street Telephone Booths. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 11:55am On Jan 19, 2011
When last did you visit Nnewi-City alias Japan of Africa? Nnewi is called the Land of gold, but the recent level of rot in infrastructure has made the name to lose meaning. A visit to Nnewi shows neglect and total abandonment by the Local Council, State and Federal Government over the years. A first time visitor to the industrial town will weep for the city while those who come for daily business keep wearing sad faces of despondency. In terms of Infrastructure, Nnewi-City is at ground zero as nothing works. In recent time all roads leading to the industrial town are bad and impassable.

Some of the roads in bad shape include Old Oba Nnewi Road, New Oba to Nnewi Road leading to Okigwe, Edo Ezemewi Road, Nnobi Road, Nkwo Nnewi Market roads etc. These roads show clear sign of government neglect. It is ironical that a town that accommodates several industries is allowed to suffer abject neglect by the three tiers of Government. This is most worrisome, Nnewi City boasts of the popular Innoson Motor Manufacturing company Chikason Group, Cutix Cable, Chartered Aluminum, Ibeto Industries, Kotec Industries, Tummy-Tummy Noodles Nig. Ltd and many industries too numerous to mention. The total work force of these industries is in excess of 10,000 workers. Nnewi-City also accommodates the popular motorcycle spare parts market, the largest in West Africa with more than 100,000 individuals going to this market everyday to transact business.

Despite these lofty attributes of Nnewi-City, she cannot boast of potable water supply. Households are compelled or trap rainfall or buy water from the numerous water tankers. This is ironical and degrading for a big city like Nnewi. In terms of electricity supply, one can stay in the city for over three months without seeing electricity or any sign of it.

A trip to the popular Nkwo Market and Agbo-Edo market in Nnewi will make a first time visitor sad for this great city that has been allowed to wallow in underdevelopment. Over 10,000 generating sets are put to use despite the dangers associated with such generating sets. Some of the dangers include global warming, toxic fumes, noise pollution and generator wastes everywhere. In terms of waste disposal, Nnewi-City has suffered total neglect. It is on record that refuse is used to decorate the popular Oba-Okigwe road in Nnewi. Refuse disposal mechanism is at its lowest ebb. This is a clarion call on the Federal, State and Local Governments to come to the aid of Nnewi City. A stitch in time saves nine.

By Peter Okeke

1 Like

Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Abagworo(m): 12:12pm On Jan 19, 2011
Why is the picture of Igwe Orizu there?
I think Nnewi has come a long way. Classifying it as a city is wrong since it is people's village and was never planned as a city.It is doing well if viewed from that perspective.It is like calling Igboukwu or Ekwulobia a city.Every development in Nnewi is as a result of self-help.

The writer should have praised the people for going this far without a single help from government.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 3:21pm On Jan 19, 2011
Abagworo:

Why is the picture of Igwe Orizu there?
I think Nnewi has come a long way. Classifying it as a city is wrong since it is people's village and was never planned as a city.It is doing well if viewed from that perspective.It is like calling Igboukwu or Ekwulobia a city.Every development in Nnewi is as a result of self-help.

The writer should have praised the people for going this far without a single help from government.

I put the picture of Igwe Orizu, because he is the traditional ruler of Nnewi.

And the writer is simply stating his grievances concerning the sorry state that this big city is in. Village or city, Nnewi needs a lot of infrastructural investment.

This is Peter Obi's domain and he needs to invest in infrastructural projects in Anambra state as a whole. People around Alaigbo, are watching him to see the good he will bring for his state.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by dempeople(m): 6:58pm On Jan 19, 2011
People often forget that Anambra state receives one of the lowest federal allocations albeit the numerous businesses in the state. Its IGR is about N12BN per annum. With the meagre finance at its disposal, its really quite challenging to invest massively in infrastructure. Nnewi, just like other cities in Anambra, is unplanned. I currently have the draft of the master plans for Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi with me which was designed by the United Nations Human Habitat Programme. To implement the plans requires at least more than N1.3tn.

Its a challenge but I think the governor is waiting on the FG for some assistance e.g. designating Anambra as an oil producing state - which ofcourse, will guarantee much more funds available to the state coffers.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 7:21pm On Jan 19, 2011
dem_people:

People often forget that Anambra state receives one of the lowest federal allocations albeit the numerous businesses in the state. Its IGR is about N12BN per annum. With the meagre finance at its disposal, its really quite challenging to invest massively in infrastructure. Nnewi, just like other cities in Anambra, is unplanned. I currently have the draft of the master plans for Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi with me which was designed by the United Nations Human Habitat Programme. To implement the plans requires at least more than N1.3tn.

Its a challenge but I think the governor is waiting on the FG for some assistance e.g. designating Anambra as an oil producing state - which ofcourse, will guarantee much more funds available to the state coffers.

I understand what you are saying. All eyes are on Peter Obi though. His success will determine APGA's success in the South-East. Anambra has so much potential, but the state needs a lot of investment in infrastructure.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Onlytruth(m): 8:08pm On Jan 19, 2011
Posted by: Kalu Akanu

This is most worrisome, Nnewi City boasts of the popular Innoson Motor Manufacturing company Chikason Group, Cutix Cable, Chartered Aluminum, Ibeto Industries, Kotec Industries, Tummy-Tummy Noodles Nig. Ltd and many industries too numerous to mention. The total work force of these industries is in excess of 10,000 workers. Nnewi-City also accommodates the popular motorcycle spare parts market, the largest in West Africa with more than 100,000 individuals going to this market everyday to transact business.

Nnewi typifies the story of Igbo in Nigeria, and the indomitable spirit of the Igbo. Notice that the ONLY thing missing in the town is government presence.

I remember that even the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH) was located in Nnewi because Nnewi folks paid N12 million to the launching fund when Naira was 1N =1$ (an equivalent of $12million) back in the middle 80s.

In a country where priority is given to growth areas, Nnewi would be getting more attention from Federal govt. than other less productive towns sitting idly by and waiting on government allocations. Federal government should support the town as a model.

If there was a law that ceded roads and other infrastructures to towns or Local governments only, Nnewi would have taken care of her own business. The problem is that most of the businesses in Nnewi pay huge import/export taxes and duties, yet their town is ignored by the Federal government.

Peter Obi should step up and provide the leadership necessary to transform the infrastructure in Nnewi.

This is one area where I sometimes feel that Charles Soludo would have performed better than Obi, because Soludo is a transformative type of a leader. Obi is the "never rock the boat" type.  Soludo would have rocked the boat to get things done.

Like someone already said, Obi should bear in mind that he is the de facto leader of APGA now, and he should show what APGA can do for Ndigbo.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by ofala(m): 8:17pm On Jan 19, 2011
With amount of commercial activities currently going at Nnewi,I don't think it will be wrong to say that the Fed Gov has deliberately overlooked the town.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 8:25pm On Jan 19, 2011
ofala:

With amount of commercial activities currently going at Nnewi,I don't think it will be wrong to say that the Fed Gov has deliberately overlooked the town.

You are not lying. Nnewi could rival Aba in terms of commercial activities if hasn't already. I think it is sickening that the Fed Gov has deliberately overlooked the town. Anyone can notice that. I would go a step further and say the Fed Gov has overlooked, Onitsha & Aba, besides Nnewi.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KnowAll(m): 8:28pm On Jan 19, 2011
If it is true Nnewi has all these industries & markets as d poster porported then d development of d city should be privately driven. What is d point industrialist & marketeers having N50 to N100 million naira in their accounts & yet the town is left to rut. That is why I have always preached d necessity of any city above 50,000 in Nigeria to have a Mayor who would be voted into office every 4 or 5 years.

In most cases the mayor would be a man of outstanding influence who would be able to draw considerable investment to his domain.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Obiagu1(m): 8:29pm On Jan 19, 2011
Nnewi City or City of Nnewi?

They are not the same.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Onlytruth(m): 8:31pm On Jan 19, 2011
Posted by: dem_people

The bolded is an example of why groups like MASSOB have strong base in Nnewi. Imagine a country where a state has to become an oil producing state before it can attract commensurate federal derivations?

What happens to equitable distribution of import duties and business taxes?

Why should a business in Nnewi be supporting another unproductive town in Nigeria?
Isn't it fair to ask for 13% derivation on import duties and business taxes for the towns (not even states undecided) hosting the businesses?

How can Nigeria grow economically, when everyone is waiting for oil based allocations?

The master plan presents an opportunity for leadership on the part of the state government.
Obi should step up to the plate, instead of waiting for Anambra state to be designated an oil producing state.
There are so many ways he can implement the master plan without breaking the bank.

1 Like

Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Onlytruth(m): 8:40pm On Jan 19, 2011
Posted by: KnowAll

If it is true Nnewi has all these industries & markets as d poster porported then d development of d city should be privately driven. What is d point industrialist & marketeers having N50 to N100 million naira in their accounts & yet the town is left to rut. That is why I have always preached d necessity of any city above 50,000 in Nigeria to have a Mayor who would be voted into office every 4 or 5 years.

In most cases the mayor would be a man of outstanding influence who would be able to draw considerable investment to his domain.

Your points are very true, especially the city Mayor part. I don't understand how Nigeria can be practicing an American brand of government, but fail to adopt some of the most important ingredients of the American system which make the system work in the US.
Nigeria simply copied federal, state and local goverment and stopped there. In the US it is even four levels of govt -Federal, state, County and Local (City) governmnet. The City leader (Mayor) is elected, but City Manager is not. Both Mayor and manager run the city.

In such an arrangement, a town like Nnewi would be fine.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 8:49pm On Jan 19, 2011
The question we should be asking ourselves is if Nnewi any different from all the South-East towns who potential hasn't been tapped into? Igboland is blessed with many cities that can be economic powerhouses, but the failure of the Nigerian Federal Government to look at these towns is quite appalling.

What Igboland needs is a massive investment in infrastructure throughout the whole region. Onitsha, Nnewi, Aba, Owerri, Umuahia, Abakaliki, Afikpo, Agbor, Orlu, Okigwe & Asaba.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Onlytruth(m): 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2011
Posted by: Kalu Akanu

The question we should be asking ourselves is if Nnewi any different from all the South-East towns who potential hasn't been tapped into? Igboland is blessed with many cities that can be economic powerhouses, but the failure of the Nigerian Federal Government to look at these towns is quite appalling.

What Igboland needs is a massive investment in infrastructure throughout the whole region. Onitsha, Nnewi, Aba, Owerri, Umuahia, Abakaliki, Afikpo, Agbor, Orlu, Okigwe & Asaba.

Agreed.
That is why I think that Peter Obi (the current SE governors forum chairman) should pick up the leadership necessary to bring it about. Under his leadership, SE governors have been able to rally and speak with one voice. He is also in very good terms with SS governors. There is a need for a Regional Masterplan for the SE/SS because things like transit trains, port of import/export, electricity and roads can be tackled jointly.

Somehow though, I don't think you can do anything along that line without the federal government at least looking the other way. They historically step in to stop such collaborations -ask Ngige how he battled Obasanjo just to allow him repair federal roads in Anambra. And even when the states repair federal roads, the fed gvt. never reimburses them.

Nigeria's political structure is a HUGE BURDEN on development.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KnowAll(m): 9:03pm On Jan 19, 2011

Your points are very true, especially the city Mayor part.  I don't understand how Nigeria can be practicing an American brand of government, but fail to adopt some of the most important ingredients of the American system which make the system work in the US.
Nigeria simply copied federal, state and local goverment and stopped there. In the US it is even four levels of govt -Federal, state, County and Local (City) governmnet. The City leader (Mayor) is elected, but City Manager is not. Both Mayor and manager run the city.

In such an arrangement, a town like Nnewi would be fine.

D federal gov gets 55% of revenue they should cut it to 50%
State's gets 30% & LG gets 15% they should reduce LG to 10 and pass d 10% got from both FG & LG to city Goverment but d emphasis on City Goverments would be they should endeavour to raise money privately rather waiting for d Feds just like d current state & LG govts. We must discourage creating another group of no-hopers who would be expecting d Feds to bail  & bankroll them month after month. Any city that does not achieve self sufficiency within 5 years funds would be withdrawn from dat city & d area would be merged with any adjoining LG that means d money due to d city would be giving to d LG since d city has lost her right of being referred as a city.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by Onlytruth(m): 9:14pm On Jan 19, 2011

D federal gov gets 55% of revenue they should cut it to 50%
State's gets 30% & LG gets 15% they should reduce LG to 10 and pass d 10% got from both FG & LG to city Goverment but d emphasis on City Goverments would be they should endeavour to raise money privately rather waiting for d Feds just like d current state & LG govts. [/b]We must discourage creating another group of no-hopers who would be expecting d Feds to bail  & bankroll them month after month. [b]Any city that does not achieve self sufficiency within 5 years funds would be withdrawn from dat city & d area would be merged with any adjoining LG that means d money due to d city would be giving to d LG since d city has lost her right of being referred as a city.

Solid points.

I also think that the federal government should not control more than 50% of funds. Even 50% sef too much; wetin dem de do with the money sef? Nor be to go waste am for ECOMOG?

Cities are incorporated (as businesses) in the US. Cities go bankrupt. I may not want to go that far for Nigeria because of difference of social systems, but we should really stop cheating hardworking and productive cities/towns.

We need to encourage towns to aspire. If they know that they will receive that federal allocations whether they deserve it or not, they will NEVER work hard.
Funds should be allocated more to areas that generate it.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by asha80(m): 9:40pm On Jan 19, 2011
Onlytruth:

Solid points.

I also think that the federal government should not control more than 50% of funds. Even 50% sef too much; wetin dem de do with the money sef? Nor be to go waste am for ECOMOG?

Cities are incorporated (as businesses) in the US. Cities go bankrupt. I may not want to go that far for Nigeria because of difference of social systems, but we should really stop cheating hardworking and productive cities/towns.

We need to encourage towns to aspire. If they know that they will receive that federal allocations whether they deserve it or not, they will NEVER work hard.

mint!
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by dempeople(m): 1:12am On Jan 20, 2011
Umunne m Ndigbo, ekelem unu. I'm happy about the responses so far. Different analyses and ideas springing up here and there on this thread. Presently, I like Peter Obi's political leadership within the South East Governors Forum. Notwithstanding his ambitions for Anambra limited severely by funds, I see that zeal in him. His love for Ndigbo is indeed in no doubt. As far as unity is concerned, I sincerely believe that the present SE govs. are the best we've ever had politically and will remain so for a long period.

The administration of GEJ come May 2011, will signal the starting of significant developments in the East. I've gone through the structural plans for Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi and have concluded that the only way for the very rapid developments of Aba, Umuahia, Okigwe, Abakaliki, Afikpo, Owerri, Orlu, Enugu, Awka, Nnewi, Onitsha, Asaba, Awka and Igwe Ocha, is for a joint effort between the FG, State Governments, Local governments and the private sector.

The other state governors in the East should also emulate Peter Obi by providing master plans for their respective cities and start implementation - no matter how miniscule their budgets might allow.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 1:17am On Jan 20, 2011
Igbos should focus on all commercial cities in Igboland. The three cities that come to mind is Nnewi, Aba and Onitsha. Let these three cities become the economic powerhouse of a brand new South-East. We have the intelligence and business acumen to make it happen. We can do it with or without the federal government. I see great things on the horizon for Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by asha80(m): 1:18am On Jan 20, 2011
dem_people:

Umunne m Ndigbo, ekelem unu. I'm happy about the responses so far. Different analyses and ideas springing up here and there on this thread.  Presently, I like Peter Obi's political leadership within the South East Governors Forum. Notwithstanding his ambitions for Anambra limited severely by funds, I see that zeal in him. His love for Ndigbo is indeed in no doubt. As far as unity is concerned, I sincerely believe that the present[b] SE govs. are the best we've ever had politically and will remain so for a long period. [/b]

The administration of GEJ come May 2011, will signal the starting of significant developments in the East. I've gone through the structural plans for Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi and have concluded that the only way for the very rapid developments of Aba, Umuahia, Okigwe, Abakaliki, Afikpo, Owerri, Orlu, Enugu, Awka, Nnewi, Onitsha, Asaba, Awka and Igwe Ocha, is for a joint effort between the FG, State Governments, Local governments and the private sector.

The other state governors in the East should also emulate Peter Obi by providing master plans for their respective cities and start implementation - no matter how miniscule their budgets might allow.

first bolded must be a joke.

second bolded owerri,enugu and aba already have masterplans(aba and owerri done by mbakwe's government i think) so what is to be done is consolidate on what is already on ground.aba is what it is now because of lack of maintanance and strict application of its masterplan while distortions inowerri is less compared to aba.i am not too sure about the distortion in enugu's case.

Kalu Akanu:

Igbos should focus on all commercial cities in Igboland. The three cities that come to mind is Nnewi, Aba and Onitsha. Let these three cities become the economic powerhouse of a brand new South-East. We have the intelligence and business acumen to make it happen. We can do it with or without the federal government. I see great things on the horizon for Igboland.

just boasting does not solve the issue.movements has to been seen before such assumptions.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by aljharem(m): 1:21am On Jan 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

Solid points.

good one onlytruth, I pray one day you will live your dream of been the igbo leader.

You are very wise my brother

@op

Igbos are uniting gradually
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 1:26am On Jan 20, 2011
asha 80:

just boasting does not solve the issue.movements has to been seen before such assumptions.

Who is boasting? I am simply stating that I see great things on the horizon for the South-East if we focus on our commercial cities. That is a fact. Aba, Nnewi, Onitsha and other Igbo cities have a lot of potential if properly invested in.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by asha80(m): 1:28am On Jan 20, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

Who is boasting? I am simply stating that I see great things on the horizon for the South-East if we focus on our commercial cities.

if okwa ya?
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 1:32am On Jan 20, 2011
asha 80:

if okwa ya?

You do not believe we will be able to focus on these commercial cities? Come on now, what happen to having an optimistic outlook?
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by asha80(m): 1:42am On Jan 20, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

You do not believe we will be able to focus on these commercial cities? Come on now, what happen to having an optimistic outlook?

not with the kind of governors we have.abia(aba)is a classic example
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by asscend: 1:45am On Jan 20, 2011
Just have a gov like Fashola that will bull doze anything in his way to get the job done.

Aba in particular needs such approach.  I think the Abia governor seems to be the weakest link among the SE.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by dempeople(m): 1:48am On Jan 20, 2011
asha 80:

first bolded must be a joke.

second bolded owerri,enugu and aba already have masterplans(aba and owerri done by mbakwe's government i think) so what is to be done is consolidate on what is already on ground.aba is what it is now because of lack of maintanance and strict application of its masterplan while distortions inowerri is less compared to aba.i am not too sure about the distortion in enugu's case.

I knew the statement would raise a few eyebrows. That was why I wrote-in the word "Politically" rather than "Generally" or "Economically" which of course, some of them have failed in such as Ohakim and Orji. Quite understandably, there's a general consensus among our people that the governors have been able to put the interest and problems of the South East before vested interests when cooperating together or with the FG.

I also knew Owerri and Enugu had already-existing master plans. Don't know about the others. Anambra never had any until recently.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by dempeople(m): 2:01am On Jan 20, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

I share your zeal and optimism though sometimes, one might be discouraged by the calibre of Govs. in power. The previous Igbo governors of the first administration of the fourth republic really were severely bereft of ideas.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by EkoIle1: 2:55am On Jan 20, 2011
Their towns and villages are crumbling, but these delusional people stay beating chest and claiming and paying taxes to develop other people's land,

Sometimes I wonder about these ibo people,
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by omongbatim: 2:57am On Jan 20, 2011
Eko ile=Babapupa
Your brothers in yanky are paying taxes to develop that place.

Take away Lagos (owned 99% by Igbos), Nnewi, bad as it may be, is better than all your towns put together
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 2:58am On Jan 20, 2011
Eko Ile:

Their towns and villages are crumbling, but these delusional people stay beating chest and claiming and paying taxes to develop other people's land,

Sometimes I wonder about these ibo people,  

Igboland's worse cities are better than what most of the other regions have to offer. At least our cities are still progressing even without Federal gov't support. What does your region have to offer? I dey laugh! And I will be waiting to hear from you. And you better not include Abuja or Lagos.
Re: Nnewi City: Abandoned And Neglected! by KaluAkanu: 3:00am On Jan 20, 2011
dem_people:

I share your zeal and optimism though sometimes, one might be discouraged by the calibre of Govs. in power. The previous Igbo governors of the first administration of the fourth republic really were severely bereft of ideas.

Our governors do not represent the people. Remember that many of our so called "leaders" were foisted on us from people from other regions. T.A. Orji does not represent anyone in Abia State. Ohakim does not represent anyone in Imo State. And I do not know much about Martin Elechi to comment on him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

JTF Arrests 4 Boko Haram Commanders In Yobe State! / Omokore: EFCC To Invite Mu’azu, Obanikoro Over Car Gifts / The Full List Of All The 371 Tribes In Nigeria And States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.