Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,872 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (24612 Views)

Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Jim Agbaje Tells CNN Why He Wants To Govern Africa's Most Populous City, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Sammy07: 11:43pm On May 29, 2020
pazienza:

No Yoruba man can ever understand Epinmi, Ipe or Isua languages in Akoko SE of Ondo. Those are purely Edoid languages, but the people are proud Yorubas. But a Yoruba man would understand Usen language in Edo to a reasonable extent.
Go ask around. Some of us know alot about these things and have visited these places to get first hand info.

Yes, Epinimi, Isua Originated from Edo state.
And it will be a bit hard for some Yoruba groups to understand.
Like I told you, there are many languages in Akoko

Nevertheless, they are now Yoruba cos they bear Yoruba names.

I don't know about Usen.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Cherez: 12:04am On May 30, 2020
GoddessSheridan:

They have used Lagos-Ibadan media to wash your brain.

Go and check CIA.
They British made the real census during col. period
This isn't about the press
The Yoruba history is one I know too well
See, the Yoruba as a tribe is a huge conglomerate of different tribes that assimilated into one majorly due to security (constant wars back then).
The Yoruba as a tribe consists of the Aworis, Ijebus, Okuns, Egbas, eguns etc
They're done

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by 9jakool: 12:25am On May 30, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Slaves from Congo and Angola far outnumber Yoruba slaves any day anytime. If you say otherwise, furnish evidence to prove this.

I understand you're being jaded. What you're just discovering doesn't align with the misinformation you've been made to believe all your life.

Angola and Congo are not ethnic groups but nations with many ethnic groups. It's two whole countries vs. one single ethnic group. Arguably, Yoruba is the largest African ancestry by ethnicity and most influential African culture in Brazil.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by lexyking(m): 12:41am On May 30, 2020
9jakool:

Angola and Congo are not ethnic groups but nations with many ethnic groups. It's two whole countries vs. one single ethnic group. Arguably, Yoruba is the largest African ancestry by ethnicity and most influential African culture in Brazil.

Yoruba culture is factually the most influential black African culture, not just in Brazil but the whole of south America and north America

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by 9jakool: 12:44am On May 30, 2020
pazienza:

Lol!

Whatever floats your boat.

Yorubas are only found in Benin republic.

Except the bolded isn't true as all the indigenous Yorubas in Togo can also be found in Benin. Kambole people and Anas reside accross the border in Benin Republic as well.
Nicolas Grunitzky, the second president of Togo is Yoruba from Atakpame from his mother's side. Likewise the first president of Togo, Sylvanus Olympio is an aguda, descendant of Yoruba slaves from Brazil.

There are also Yoruba migrants from Nigeria. They are well represented in the upper class of Togo.

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 4:56am On May 30, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Show us evidence?

9jakool:

Unarguably, no facts exist to prove this.

1.2m vs 0.437m, at least 2.5 as much.

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 5:17am On May 30, 2020
Cosbyrich:
I do not know why small Igbos are competing with Yoruba in population. Yorubas are everywhere in the world.Most black Africans are Yoruba while a few number of them are from others.
African Americans are beautiful people just like the beautiful and widely travelled Yoruba people.
American Yorubas are more than American Igbos.

Even Yoruba Canadians are more than Igbo Canadians.

Yorubas dominate the UK.

Edited Wikipedia snapshots. Wikipedia has reverted to the original figures below:

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 5:37am On May 30, 2020
9jakool:

Angola and Congo = West Central = almost 4m exports combined.

Bight of Benin = 2.1m exports, Aja people (majority) 1.6m, Yoruba 0.45m.

Bight of Biafra = 1.46m exports, Igbo 1.2m, Ibibio/Efik/Ijaw = 0.25m.

Once again I furnish extra data for you if you are unable to source them by yourself.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 5:45am On May 30, 2020
sesan85:
Prove to me that the "Ebo" has anything related to Igbo? Ebo is also an African name which means "born on Tuesday."

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 5:54am On May 30, 2020
lexyking:

Yoruba culture is factually the most influential black African culture, not just in Brazil but the whole of south America and north America
sesan85:
Dude, this is the last time I'll reply you. I only took an interest in whatever you had to contribute because your fellow fraudulent IPOB dude Pazienza cited you as an authoritative figure when it comes to issues like this. But alas, you're even worse off than Nnamdi Kanu's IPOB cretins.

Pulling dubious figures out of your own delusional ass. First you claimed Igbo is the third largest ethnic group in EG, even though they're only a part of the 1.4% "other." Then you claimed Yoruba people have at least 50% of Igbo blood in them. What sane human being will take you serious after your codeine-influenced, asinine, dubious claims. Go home dude, you're drunk! Sod off!

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 5:58am On May 30, 2020
lexyking:

sesan85:
Dude, this is the last time I'll reply you. I only took an interest in whatever you had to contribute because your fellow fraudulent IPOB dude Pazienza cited you as an authoritative figure when it comes to issues like this. But alas, you're even worse off than Nnamdi Kanu's IPOB cretins.

Pulling dubious figures out of your own delusional ass. First you claimed Igbo is the third largest ethnic group in EG, even though they're only a part of the 1.4% "other." Then you claimed Yoruba people have at least 50% of Igbo blood in them. What sane human being will take you serious after your codeine-influenced, asinine, dubious claims. Go home dude, you're drunk! Sod off!

FYI

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Ayekotoo(m): 6:29am On May 30, 2020
[s]
bigfrancis21:

Tinie Tempah

Patrick Chukwuemeka Okogwu[1] (born 7 November 1988),[2] better known by his stage name Tinie Tempah[3]), is a British rapper, singer, composer and entrepreneur. He has been signed to Parlophone Records since 2009, a subsidiary of Warner Music Group. He created his own entertainment company Disturbing London in 2006, along with his cousin Dumi Oburota.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinie_Tempah
[/s]

Popular British musical duo Lighthouse’s lead vocalist Tunde Baiyewu reveals how being Yoruba influences his songs.
Tunde Baiyewu is a British-born with Nigerian root.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legit.ng/amp/1259739-british-nigerian-lighthouse-family-lead-vocalist-tunde-baiyewu-reveals-yoruba-affects-songs.html

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by lexyking(m): 6:29am On May 30, 2020
bigfrancis21:

FYI

Oga, why the mentions? I said Yoruba culture have influenced the word more than any other Black African culture, so what point are you trying to make by quoting me with the figures of slaves sold.

I don't have any factual evidence to prove how many Yorubas or Igbos were taken during the trans-Atlantic slave trade, so I'm not going to delve into that argument with you or anyone else, so please except you want to engage me on whether or not Yoruba culture have influenced the word more than any other African culture, stay off my mention abeg

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 6:33am On May 30, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Unarguably, no facts exist to prove this.
1.2m vs 0.437m, at least 2.5 as much.
Can I get a link to this
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 6:53am On May 30, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Angola and Congo = West Central = almost 4m exports combined.

Bight of Benin = 2.1m exports, Aja people (majority) 1.6m, Yoruba 0.45m.

Bight of Biafra = 1.46m exports, Igbo 1.2m, Ibibio/Efik/Ijaw = 0.25m.

Once again I furnish extra data for you if you are unable to source them by yourself.
You are actually a phony guy

On one list the total number of slaves exported from bight of Biafra was 1.7 m

Yet on another list the total number exported was 1.4 million

It looks to me that you doctored some list.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by SLAP44: 6:56am On May 30, 2020
9jakool:

Thanks to one Madam tinibu. His grand son is still selling to the north.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Cosbyrich: 7:16am On May 30, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Edited Wikipedia snapshots. Wikipedia has reverted to the original figures below:

lol

Fake.

Everybody knows that Yorubas in America are more than a million.
Igbos just started to travel after the civil war but still at a lesser number to the prolific Yoruba travellers.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 7:36am On May 30, 2020
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by bigfrancis21: 7:39am On May 30, 2020
Iamgrey5:
You are actually a phony guy

On one list the total number of slaves exported from bight of Biafra was 1.7 m

Yet on another list the total number exported was 1.4 million

It looks to me that you doctored some list.

Renowned researcher, Douglas Chambers estimates 1.7m exports from the Biafran Bight and his colleague, Paul Livejoy, estimates roughly 1.5m. I never doctored any list sir.

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 7:46am On May 30, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Renowned researcher, Douglas Chambers estimates 1.7m exports from the Biafran Bight and his colleague, Paul Livejoy, estimates roughly 1.5m. I never doctored any list sir.
Sir

Can we have a link to this research?
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 8:10am On May 30, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Sir

Can we have a link to this research?

You need grace.

No need for any link. For someone like you to post screenshot of just a reported palace gathering, clearly shows you don't know the meaning of research...

Claiming to be sound but the that's the other way round.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 8:20am On May 30, 2020
Juliusmalema:

You need grace.

No need for any link. For someone like you to post screenshot of just a reported palace gathering, clearly shows you don't know the meaning of research...

Claiming to be sound but the that's the other way round.
Bruv, you would have noticed that I have largely ignored you like the rest of the people here since yesterday.

Even in scholarly reviewed journals, a direct link is provided for any report accessed on the internet with date of access clearly stated in the bibliography or list of reference section.

Your master provided contradictory reports about bight of Biafra and decided to use it for the purposes of an argument. So.you expect me not to question his sources.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Brigadier66: 8:39am On May 30, 2020
most of these comments on populations of African ethnic groups may be difficult to determine because of the fraudulent activities usually associated with it. However the 1979 Elections in which over 90 per cent Igbo and Yoruba voted N.P.P and U.P.N respectively we all saw the outcome.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo's 4.9 million votes doubled Dr.Nnamdi Azikiwe's 2.2 million votes.Check voting patterns across the states.

The election was conducted by the military.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 8:40am On May 30, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Bruv, you would have noticed that I have largely ignored you like the rest of the people here since yesterday.

Even in scholarly reviewed journals, a direct link is provided for any report accessed on the internet with date of access clearly stated in the bibliography or list of reference section.

Your master provided contradictory reports about bight of Biafra and decided to use it for the purposes of an argument. So.you expect me not to question his sources.

Ignored ke...? LMAO.

This is another unintelligent assumption.

My comments so far after the first and second page has been sketchy and can be counted easily.
I only read any page that crops to my view and that's all..

I had already stated and make my point in first , second and probably third page and as in my style not much interested in the thread again.

What a loads of intelligence you have to be sophiscaticatedly buoyant...Lol.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Nobody: 8:40am On May 30, 2020
Iamgrey5:

Ignored ke...? LMAO.

This is another unintelligent assumption...as I never encountered such let alone engaging much people after the first three pages.

You are a good but at same time a bad liar.

My comments so far after the first and second page has been sketchy and can be counted easily.
I only read any page that crops to my view and that's all..

I had already stated and make my point in first , second and probably third page and as in my style not much interested in the thread again.

What a loads of intelligence you have to be sophiscaticatedly buoyant...Lol.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 9:46am On May 30, 2020
Brigadier66:
most of these comments on populations of African ethnic groups may be difficult to determine because of the fraudulent activities usually associated with it. However the 1979 Elections in which over 90 per cent Igbo and Yoruba voted N.P.P and U.P.N respectively we all saw the outcome.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo's 4.9 million votes doubled Dr.Nnamdi Azikiwe's 2.2 million votes.Check voting patterns across the states.

The election was conducted by the military.

The Minorities already poisoned with toxic Igbophobia of Lagos/Ibadan express way media propaganda all voted for mostly Awolowo or Shagari to some extent.
Zik had just Igbos votes.

Additionally, election results in Nigeria are about as useless in determing ethnic census because of the usual irregularities that take place.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by unbitchable(m): 10:28am On May 30, 2020
pazienza:

Olukumi in Anioma speak Yoruboid language and acknowledge descending from Owo, but are they Yorubas? grin
Same is applicable to those Ife people in Togo.
They are Ife descendants, but they are not Yorubas.
They have evolved a new identity of their own.
Ijebu are supposed to be descendants of Sudan and not Ife ,It took them time to accept the Yoruba tag, but they are Yorubas today, thanks to Awolowo emergence as Yoruba leader.

There are many Edoid speaking groups in Akoko SE in Ondo, but they are Yorubas today because they have forged a bond with the rest of Yoruboid tribes around them.
The Usen people in Ovia SW in Edo are basically Yorubas, I have been there, they speak a Yoruboid language, their King is called Elawure(a clearly Yoruba word) and not Ovie/Ogie/Ojie as found amongst Edoids. But they are proud of their Edo identity, because for some reason, they were not involved in the formation of Yoruba as an ethnic group from the beginning and have always flown with the Edos. My good friend from Usen is named Olarenwaju.

You will never be able to convince anyone that those Togolese are Yorubas. We can accept they migrated from groups that formed Yoruba and have now evolved their own distinct entities.

I still wouldn't understand why some Yoruba peeps keep engaging in a prolonged argument with people of thoughtless and disjointed mindset. How can a Yoruba subgroup be a descendant of Ife and at the same time are not Yoruba. How dumb does that sound.
Heard the land-grabbing ibos are now claiming the Olukumis as being ibos. How more inferior would the ibos prove themselves to be.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by pazienza(m): 10:56am On May 30, 2020
unbitchable:

I still wouldn't understand why some Yoruba peeps keep engaging in a prolonged argument with people of thoughtless and disjointed mindset. How can a Yoruba subgroup be a descendant of Ife and at the same time are not Yoruba. How dumb does that sound.
Heard the land-grabbing ibos are now claiming the Olukumis as being ibos. How more inferior would the ibos prove themselves to be.

They are now called Odiani and not Olukumi. They have been assimilated as Enu-ani Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by unbitchable(m): 11:27am On May 30, 2020
pazienza:

The Minorities already poisoned with toxic Igbophobia of Lagos/Ibadan express way media propaganda all voted for mostly Awolowo or Shagari to some extent.
Zik had just Igbos votes.

Additionally, election results in Nigeria are about as useless as determing ethnic census because of the usual irregularities that take place.
Zik, who was the darling of the minorities suddenly became the daredevil in a switch. Awo turned him from a beautiful swan to a ugly duckling while Awo whom the minorities had never wanted became the toast of all. Awo made him look so bad that only ibos voted for him.
Na una lies go kill una. When we say ibos are the purveyors of lies, it's no coincidence, it's a fact.

This dude don dey change mouth.. cc; Sunshineg5 senatordave1 Metaphysical LegendHero Iamgrey5 Sammy07 Micheal004

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by unbitchable(m): 11:33am On May 30, 2020
pazienza:

They are now called Odiani and not Olukumi. They have been assimilated as Enu-ani Igbos.
Assimilation is not unnatural as their ancestry is never in doubt. Regardless of the environmental or cultural assimilation, they are bold enough to recognize and declare their Yoruba ancestry.
Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by Iamgrey5(m): 12:18pm On May 30, 2020
unbitchable:

Zik, who was the darling of the minorities suddenly became the daredevil in a switch. Awo turned him from a beautiful swan to a ugly duckling while Awo whom the minorities had never wanted became the toast of all. Awo made him look so bad that only ibos voted for him.
Na una lies go kill una. When we say ibos are the purveyors of lies, it's no coincidence, it's a fact.

This dude don dey change mouth.. cc; Sunshineg5 senatordave1 Metaphysical LegendHero Iamgrey5 Sammy07 Micheal004
Na so Igbos on Nairaland be cheesy

They said the hatred Minorities had for Awolowo made them leave the Western region, but they now claim Minorities love Awolowo.

So if Awolowo had the power of Lagos/ibadan media why did Midwest leave western region in the first place?

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 by forgiveness: 12:41pm On May 30, 2020
pazienza:

Olukumi in Anioma speak Yoruboid language and acknowledge descending from Owo, but are they Yorubas? grin
Same is applicable to those Ife people in Togo.
They are Ife descendants, but they are not Yorubas. They have evolved a new identity of their own.
Ijebu are supposed to be descendants of Sudan and not Ife ,It took them time to accept the Yoruba tag, but they are Yorubas today, thanks to Awolowo emergence as Yoruba leader.

There are many Edoid speaking groups in Akoko SE in Ondo, but they are Yorubas today because they have forged a bond with the rest of Yoruboid tribes around them.
The Usen people in Ovia SW in Edo are basically Yorubas, I have been there, they speak a Yoruboid language, their King is called Elawure(a clearly Yoruba word) and not Ovie/Ogie/Ojie as found amongst Edoids. But they are proud of their Edo identity, because for some reason, they were not involved in the formation of Yoruba as an ethnic group from the beginning and have always flown with the Edos. My good friend from Usen is named Olarenwaju.

You will never be able to convince anyone that those Togolese are Yorubas. We can accept they migrated from groups that formed Yoruba and have now evolved their own distinct entities.

1. Why did they call their language Ife? grin

Why not another name? grin

According to the report, it's because they traced their are decent to Ife and wants to identify with their origin. grin

According to Fantchede, Ife Togo is widely used in Atakpame because the people, who trace their descent to ile-Ife, are the dominant group there.

This invariably covers the brand spoken in Togo, too. Fabunmi notes in a study titled ‘Vigesimal Numerals on Ife (Togo) and Ife (Nigeria) Dialects of Yoruba’, “Today, the capital of Ife (Togo) is Atakpame. The Ifè (Togo) dialect of Yoruba is spoken by approximately 90,000 people in Atakpame and the speakers stretch from the Benin boundary up to Atakpame in Togo.

2. Why do they call themselves Ife and not Togo or Kobokobo or Anagos? grin

It's because they identified with their Nigerian root. This is from the horse's mouth and not a novice like you. grin

Kotannoa, who worked in collaboration with Emmanuel Lambert to produce ‘Thebe: Danse Traditional au Togo’, a book that documents activities of Tchebe dancers, agrees with the authorities that trace the history of Ife Togo to Ile-Ife, Nigeria. According to Kotannoa, he and his people were, in the past, referred to as ‘Anago’. But they rejected the term because they believe it is derogatory. So, they opted for Ife, which describes both the people and the variant of the Yoruba they speak.

He says, “Ife people came from Egypt. But our ancestors and scholars also noted that we first got to Ile-Ife in Nigeria. Our fathers lived in Ile-Ife for many years. Many of them werebabalawos (native doctors) and hunters. The tribal wars sacked them from Ile-Ife.”

3. Lastly, I have been to Togo more than 60 times and I can confirm to you that all the Ife people of Togo identify themselves as YORUBAS. GBAM! grin

It was in Togo, through this people, I got to know Yorubas are an Ethic group in Togo. grin

According to your logic, Igbanke, EG, etc are not Igbos. EOD

But Olumumi are Yorubas based on what their king said. Gbam. grin

They have started changing their names to Yoruba, Singing in Yorubas, and changing their identify from Igbo to Yorubas. Bhuhahahaha. grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World / Governor Abiodun Inspects The Ongoing Reconstruction Of Mowe-Ofada Road / Electoral Amendment: Saraki, Dogara Lock Horns Over Plot To Override Buhari..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.