Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,269 members, 7,815,451 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible (864 Views)

The Abuse Of Speaking In Tongues In The Christian Fold / Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? / Real Identity Of 3 Wise Men Who Visited Jesus' Birthplace Revealed By Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by alBHAGDADI: 7:38am On May 31, 2020
Please exercise patients to read this.

There's a huge error being taught and practiced today in churches concerning speaking in tongues. It has become so bad that people have become so comfortable in the error that they don't want to listen to the Bible when used to correct them.

This is what is practice as speaking in churches today: eskobibikilaka Shaka raka reke shamba. Iskala moranta manaksa manbi. Amba raka reke maneka shaka raka.

Nothing said above makes sense. It even sounds like a demonic spell from a Harry Potter movie. Yet those who say such usually say they are speaking in tongues.

Let's examine the first time speaking in tongues was recorded in the New Testament.

Acts 2:1-4 KJV
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

As seen above, when the disciples of Jesus spoke in tongues, the Bible said it was with other tongues which means other languages. Why would the Holy Spirit make them speak in strange languages? Is it for a show off or what?

The next verse shows that many people came from every nation from under the heaven to Jerusalem that day.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Obviously, these people spoke their own native languages. In other for the disciples to be able to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to them into salvation, the Holy Spirit gave the disciples the ability to speak in other tongues. The disciples were enabled to speak the language and of the different nations present in Jerusalem on that day.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Did you see the bolded part above which says every man heard the disciples speak in his own language? This shows that the disciples were not saying gibberish that no man could understand. Read further because the Bible even listed the countries whose languages the disciples spoke on that day.

Acts 2:7-11
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Now, there are some Bible verses which people use to deceive others and themselves into speaking gibberish which they call speaking in tongues. Let's examine those verses and see how they have been used wrongly.

1 Corinthians 14:1 KJV
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

As seen above, Apostle Paul stated that it is good to desire the spiritual gifts but better to desire the ability to prophesy i.e to preach. This has been mistaken to mean one has to desire to be able to speak in tongues aka gibberish. Let's read the next verse which is the killer verse those who love to speak gibberish often quote to defend their ways.

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

You see, when those who speak gibberish and jargons do so, they say it is not for man to understand because they are speaking into God in the spirit. An untrained eye or someone who doesn't have the spirit of God will be fooled by the way they interpret this verse.

Now, Paul spoke of two things int that chapter: The first is speaking in tongues and the second prophesying aka preaching/teaching.

Now, when he says speaking in an unknown tongue, he stated that no man understands that tongue. But when he speaks of prophesying, he says the church understands it. This must mean that the prophesying/preaching is done in a language everyone present at the gathering understands. That's why he says the people are edified by it.

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

Next is the verse that destroys the falsehood called speaking in gibberish.

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

As seen above, the man who speaks in an unknown tongue edified himself. The dictionary meaning of Edify is to instruct or improve (someone) morally or intellectually. So, how can someone speaking gibberish claim he's edifying himself when he doesn't understand a word he's saying to be able to instruct himself morally or intellectually? Yet, they quote the below verse to fool themselves into thinking only God should understand their gibberish.

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

No, Paul is saying that just as the preacher edified the church with a language the congregation can understand, so is the man who speaks in the language he understands edifies himself with but can't edify the church with it.

b]4[/b] He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Paul further stated that if you have the ability to speak in foreign languages, it would be of no benefit to the congregation who can't understand the languages. Such a person can only speak the language if there is someone who can interpret it to the congregation.

5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Now, show me who can interpret the gibberish spoken today as tongues grin. Once the person steps forward, tell him to tell you the name of the language just as the Bible told us the names of the languages spoken by the disciples who spoke in tongues.

Why did Paul advise Christians to desire the ability to preach more than the ability to speak a foreign language? He says speaking a foreign language to someone who doesn't understand it is like a waste of time. But if you can preach, you will be able to teach and win souls.

6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

Paul went on to even use musical instruments to explain his point. Imagine soldiers fighting Boko Haram in camp and awaiting the next battle. To ensure they prepare for battle, a trumpet is blown in a distinctive way. That alerts the soldiers that it's time to do battle. Now imagine the trumpet is blown like jazz music to alert the soldiers that Boko Haram is coming, do you think they will understand?

7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

To further bust the lies that speaking gibberish is speaking to God, Paul said if you speak words that are not understood, you are simply speaking into the air, not to God.

9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

He added that every voice has signification.

10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

Again, why did Paul advise Christians to learn to preach instead of speaking in a foreign language? He said speaking a foreign language to people who don't understand it will make you appear a barbarian.

11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

I know we sometimes sing Christian songs in languages we don't understand. But most times, we are told the meaning of the song and this makes us glad.

Likewise, imagine someone teaches you to say a good prayer in French, a language you don't understand. When you say that prayer, your spirit prays it and God understands, but you don't and it will be unfruitful to you. That's why it is best to pray in a language you understand.

13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Paul also stated that praying in an unknown tongue to the congregation will not get any response from them. They won't know what you are saying for them to say amen to, they won't be edified by the prayer.

16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

The way these gibberish speakers interpret the next verse makes me laugh grin

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

What they say is that Apostle Paul can speak gibberish more than everyone else. If it is really gibberish Paul spoke, then he lied to have said he does it better than everyone else. Let me battle their type of Apostle Paul.

Paul speaks in tongues: sikabhd akhakd mobanda nahuyri.

Yours truly speaks in tongues: jugataman husgeke raka shege shagu.

I may not have done it exactly how their Paul did it. Guess what? He can't do it how I did too. grin. Yet they say he speaks in gibberish more than everyone else.

Well, the Apostle Paul of the Bible never spoke gibberish. What he spoke were human languages. Paul was an educated man who learned under Gamaliel. Paul was also a widely traveled man and must have learned the languages of the people of the places he traveled to. How do you think he was able to set up churches in those strange places?

Yet, Paul would rather speak in a language the congregation can understand instead of speak in a tongue they don't.

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

He went on to reveal that speaking in tongues are for a sign to unbelievers. Remember how those people in the Book of Acts chapter 2 were marveled when they heard the disciples of Jesus speak in different foreign language, their languages?

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Why did Paul say prophesying is for them that believe? Because it is to edify them more about God and build their faith.

Imagine you enter a church where everyone is speaking in different languages.

23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Yet, people gather in churches to speak gibberish, not even human languages.

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

As seen in the second bold part above, when you speak in an unknown tongue, you speak to God and to yourself which means you understand what you are saying.

Next time you see someone saying gibberish, ask him for the name of the language he just spoke and the meaning. He will look at you as if he just saw a ghost.

Any pastor praying with words no one understands is either saying gibberish or saying demonic incantations or spells. Flee from such.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by MightySparrow: 8:12am On May 31, 2020
OP, which one do you practise or have experienced in all these analysis?
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by BlowYourMind: 8:18am On May 31, 2020
All these public exhibition of speaking in tongues are liars, speaking in tongues is a personal communication with GOD and for personal edification not these ones that so called pastors have create schools for people that want to learn speaking in tongues
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by alBHAGDADI: 8:27am On May 31, 2020
BlowYourMind:
All these public exhibition of speaking in tongues are liars, speaking in tongues is a personal communication with GOD and for personal edification not these ones that so called pastors have create schools for people that want to learn speaking in tongues

You are also wrong, but right on the pastors.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by BlowYourMind: 8:44am On May 31, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

You are also wrong, but right on the pastors.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by alBHAGDADI: 8:59am On May 31, 2020
BlowYourMind:

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Did you read the OP at all? Go back and do so because all the verses you quoted were carefully explained in it.
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by Chiprince007(m): 9:06am On May 31, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

Please exercise patients to read this.

There's a huge error being taught and practiced today in churches concerning speaking in tongues. It has become so bad that people have become so comfortable in the error that they don't want to listen to the Bible when used to correct them.

This is what is practice as speaking in churches today: eskobibikilaka Shaka raka reke shamba. Iskala moranta manaksa manbi. Amba raka reke maneka shaka raka.

Nothing said above makes sense. It even sounds like a demonic spell from a Harry Potter movie. Yet those who say such usually say they are speaking in tongues.

Let's examine the first time speaking in tongues was recorded in the New Testament.

Acts 2:1-4 KJV
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

As seen above, when the disciples of Jesus spoke in tongues, the Bible said it was with other tongues which means other languages. Why would the Holy Spirit make them speak in strange languages? Is it for a show off or what?

The next verse shows that many people came from every nation from under the heaven to Jerusalem that day.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Obviously, these people spoke their own native languages. In other for the disciples to be able to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to them into salvation, the Holy Spirit gave the disciples the ability to speak in other tongues. The disciples were enabled to speak the language and of the different nations present in Jerusalem on that day.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Did you see the bolded part above which says every man heard the disciples speak in his own language? This shows that the disciples were not saying gibberish that no man could understand. Read further because the Bible even listed the countries whose languages the disciples spoke on that day.

Acts 2:7-11
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Now, there are some Bible verses which people use to deceive others and themselves into speaking gibberish which they call speaking in tongues. Let's examine those verses and see how they have been used wrongly.

1 Corinthians 14:1 KJV
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

As seen above, Apostle Paul stated that it is good to desire the spiritual gifts but better to desire the ability to prophesy i.e to preach. This has been mistaken to mean one has to desire to be able to speak in tongues aka gibberish. Let's read the next verse which is the killer verse those who love to speak gibberish often quote to defend their ways.

You see, when those who speak gibberish and jargons do so, they say it is not for man to understand because they are speaking into God in the spirit. An untrained eye or someone who doesn't have the spirit of God will be fooled by the way they interpret this verse.

Now, Paul spoke of two things int that chapter: The first is speaking in tongues and the second prophesying aka preaching/teaching.

Now, when he says speaking in an unknown tongue, he stated that no man understands that tongue. But when he speaks of prophesying, he says the church understands it. This must mean that the prophesying/preaching is done in a language everyone present at the gathering understands. That's why he says the people are edified by it.

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

Next is the verse that destroys the falsehood called speaking in gibberish.

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

As seen above, the man who speaks in an unknown tongue edified himself. The dictionary meaning of Edify is to instruct or improve (someone) morally or intellectually. So, how can someone speaking gibberish claim he's edifying himself when he doesn't understand a word he's saying to be able to instruct himself morally or intellectually? Yet, they quote the below verse to fool themselves into thinking only God should understand their gibberish.

No, Paul is saying that just as the preacher edified the church with a language the congregation can understand, so is the man who speaks in the language he understands edifies himself with but can't edify the church with it.

b]4[/b] He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Paul further stated that if you have the ability to speak in foreign languages, it would be of no benefit to the congregation who can't understand the languages. Such a person can only speak the language if there is someone who can interpret it to the congregation.

5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Now, show me who can interpret the gibberish spoken today as tongues grin. Once the person steps forward, tell him to tell you the name of the language just as the Bible told us the names of the languages spoken by the disciples who spoke in tongues.

Why did Paul advise Christians to desire the ability to preach more than the ability to speak a foreign language? He says speaking a foreign language to someone who doesn't understand it is like a waste of time. But if you can preach, you will be able to teach and win souls.

6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

Paul went on to even use musical instruments to explain his point. Imagine soldiers fighting Boko Haram in camp and awaiting the next battle. To ensure they prepare for battle, a trumpet is blown in a distinctive way. That alerts the soldiers that it's time to do battle. Now imagine the trumpet is blown like jazz music to alert the soldiers that Boko Haram is coming, do you think they will understand?

7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

To further bust the lies that speaking gibberish is speaking to God, Paul said if you speak words that are not understood, you are simply speaking into the air, not to God.

9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

He added that every voice has signification.

10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

Again, why did Paul advise Christians to learn to preach instead of speaking in a foreign language? He said speaking a foreign language to people who don't understand it will make you appear a barbarian.

11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

I know we sometimes sing Christian songs in languages we don't understand. But most times, we are told the meaning of the song and this makes us glad.

Likewise, imagine someone teaches you to say a good prayer in French, a language you don't understand. When you say that prayer, your spirit prays it and God understands, but you don't and it will be unfruitful to you. That's why it is best to pray in a language you understand.

13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Paul also stated that praying in an unknown tongue to the congregation will not get any response from them. They won't know what you are saying for them to say amen to, they won't be edified by the prayer.

16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

The way these gibberish speakers interpret the next verse makes me laugh grin

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

What they say is that Apostle Paul can speak gibberish more than everyone else. If it is really gibberish Paul spoke, then he lied to have said he does it better than everyone else. Let me battle their type of Apostle Paul.

Paul speaks in tongues: sikabhd akhakd mobanda nahuyri.

Yours truly speaks in tongues: jugataman husgeke raka shege shagu.

I may not have done it exactly how their Paul did it. Guess what? He can't do it how I did too. grin. Yet they say he speaks in gibberish more than everyone else.

Well, the Apostle Paul of the Bible never spoke gibberish. What he spoke were human languages. Paul was an educated man who learned under Gamaliel. Paul was also a widely traveled man and must have learned the languages of the people of the places he traveled to. How do you think he was able to set up churches in those strange places?

Yet, Paul would rather speak in a language the congregation can understand instead of speak in a tongue they don't.

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

He went on to reveal that speaking in tongues are for a sign to unbelievers. Remember how those people in the Book of Acts chapter 2 were marveled when they heard the disciples of Jesus speak in different foreign language, their languages?

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Why did Paul say prophesying is for them that believe? Because it is to edify them more about God and build their faith.

Imagine you enter a church where everyone is speaking in different languages.

23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Yet, people gather in churches to speak gibberish, not even human languages.

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

As seen in the second bold part above, when you speak in an unknown tongue, you speak to God and to yourself which means you understand what you are saying.

Next time you see someone saying gibberish, ask him for the name of the language he just spoke and the meaning. He will look at you as if he just saw a ghost.

Any pastor praying with words no one understands is either saying gibberish or saying demonic incantations or spells. Flee from such.

Thank you.

Hmm. Nice analysis, but I'm afraid you got it wrong at some point. I'll be brief. The Bible was not written in English so if you use an English dictionary to define terms in the Bible,you may not get the point the writer is trying to make. Exampl: edify which actually according to the Greek text mean to build. So he that speaks in an unknown tongue builds himself. Let me stop here I'll be back later

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by alBHAGDADI: 9:25am On May 31, 2020
Chiprince007:

Hmm. Nice analysis, but I'm afraid you got it wrong at some point. I'll be brief. The Bible was not written in English so if you use an English dictionary to define terms in the Bible,you may not get the point the writer is trying to make. Exampl: edify which actually according to the Greek text mean to build. So he that speaks in an unknown tongue builds himself. Let me stop here I'll be back later

To use that as an excuse is to say God has hidden his word from none Greek speakers. Language is language and nothing is lost in interpretation except when badly done.

Also, anybody telling you to go back to the Greek or Hebrew language before you can understand a Bible passage is simply saying he doesn't want to obey what the Bible says in English and just wants to form his own idea.

Is such a person Greek? No. But they rush to the Greek which you don't speak and come back with a twisted idea and use it to fool you.

What edify means in Greek is what it means in English. Same way spoon means spoon in all languages.

Edify as you say means Build in Greek. How does build differ from improve as given by the English meaning of edify?

I will advise you to stick with the Bible and stop forming ideas of your own.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by Chiprince007(m): 9:33am On May 31, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

To use that as an excuse is to say God has hidden his word from none Greek speakers. Language is language and nothing is lost in interpretation except when badly done.

Also, anybody telling you to go back to the Greek or Hebrew language before you can understand a Bible passage is simply saying he doesn't want to obey what the Bible says in English and just wants to form his own idea.

Is such a person Greek? No. But they rush to the Greek which you don't speak and come back with a twisted idea and use it to fool you.

What edify means in Greek is what it means in English. Same way spoon means spoon in all languages.

Edify as you say means Build in Greek. How does build differ from improve as given by the English meaning of edify?

I will advise you to stick with the Bible and stop forming ideas of your own.

Hmm. I'm not one who likes argument but I'm not giving you an excuse neither am I trying to run from the English version of the Bible and presenting my own ideas. I'm showing you how to make a good study by considering the parent language before it was interpreted in English and you don't need to be a Greek expert to do that. All you need is strong concordance to help you during study
Quick question : does build and improve mean the same thing? Are they even synonyms?
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by atoleybaba(m): 9:52am On May 31, 2020
Chiprince007:

Hmm. I'm not one who likes argument but I'm not giving you an excuse neither am I trying to run from the English version of the Bible and presenting my own ideas. I'm showing you how to make a good study by considering the parent language before it was interpreted in English and you don't need to be a Greek expert to do that. All you need is strong concordance to help you during study
Quick question : does build and improve mean the same thing? Are they even synonyms?
even if you consider the mother tongue in which d bible is written, u are still very wrong....i Infact most Christian misinterprete d bible just like you.... Just to suit whatever their pastor tells them... The op is right. Edify is edify in Greek and English. Same with tongue/languages. Infact if you are looking for misinterpreted word, it is the Greek word for stake(log of wood) in which English bible interpreted to cross.....hence changing the real meaning of how Jesus died. Maybe on a stake or a cross (p.s saying he died on the cross was to defend some roman doctrine imbibed into Christianity. I think Constantine)
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by alBHAGDADI: 11:01am On May 31, 2020
Chiprince007:

Since you want to go back to the Greek, tell me how build doesn't mean improve.

https://biblehub.com/greek/3619.htm

Also, you concordance shows verses that show that edify means a building and also improving or building up or upbuilding.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?t=kjv&strongs=g3619
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by alBHAGDADI: 7:14am On Jul 12, 2020
Good morning
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by ayenale1(m): 8:09am On Jul 12, 2020
I blamed those who translated the bible from Hebrew Latin Greek etc they should have leave it like that and let us learn jus like our Muslim brothers...By now we would be calling Jehusu not Jesus, we would have been calling him Jehovah not God...we would have know the difference between speaking in tongues and divers of tongues...
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by Dtruthspeaker: 9:08am On Jul 12, 2020
The meaning of Tongues has Always meant "Languages" Igbo, french, Tahiti etc but it must always mean understable spoken language, not "ble-bleble" as in Translyvania.

But they no go hear, for E mean say dem go need to create another powerful shit, wey dey inside Bible, wey dey go fit use take deceive people since many people accept the Bible as saying the Truth.
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by CAPSLOCKED: 9:21am On Jul 12, 2020
ANYBODY CAN SPEAK IN TONGUES. REQUIRES NO HOLY SPIRIT CRAP. ALL YOU NEED IS TO PRETEND TO BE DERÆNGED AND CONTINUOUSLY MUTTER MEANINGLESS JARGONS.... AND OTHER IDĮOTS WILL BELIEVE YOU.

2 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by Dtruthspeaker: 10:14am On Jul 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
ANYBODY CAN SPEAK IN TONGUES. REQUIRES NO HOLY SPIRIT CRAP. ALL YOU NEED IS TO PRETEND TO BE DERÆNGED AND CONTINUOUSLY MUTTER MEANINGLESS JARGONS.... AND OTHER IDĮOTS WILL BELIEVE YOU.

You certainly did not read the post for the op is debunking and refuting the Shit of ble-bleble and blabbles!
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by DropsMic(m): 10:53am On Jul 12, 2020
Only dumb people still see Nigerian tongue speakers as true men od God.. As for me once you speak in tongues i don strike you off
Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by GodsMopol: 11:05am On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

You certainly did not read the post for the op is debunking and refuting the Shit of ble-bleble and blabbles!

first of all, the person you quoted is an athiest, and what I meant by saying Athiest is, he has chosen his kind of life

Yea, about speaking in tongues, tongues are divinely inspired speeches and in most cases, they are inaudible to the hearer or speaker

The Bible says, he speaketh mystery because no man understand him. But we must understand one thing, that Paul wrote to the church, not to a person, so literally, Paul was speaking with regards to the church setting all through the book of Corinthians and everything he said, he said because he was addressing a church and not a person, so somethings could be taken out of context just as Peter said, 2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Speaking In Tongues As Revealed By The Bible by Emmanuelcann: 10:53am On Jul 13, 2020
Correct OP!!!
The apostles in the Bible spoke languages that were understood by those listening to them. The book of Corinthians was written to correct error and discouraged speaking in other languages where there is no interpreter.
Speaking in tongues was one of the Apostolic signs. Those who speak gibberish today ignore the other apostolic signs listed in the Bible - immunity to snake and scorpion bites, poisons etc. The Apostolic age passed with the Apostles. Now that "that which is perfect" is here (the Bible), "that which is in part" is done away with!
The Christian Church needs no further verification. The signs and wonders (including speaking in other tongues - known languages) were meant to convince the unbelieving Jews who always "seek signs"
No other sign is necessary today because we have God's written word and the sign of resurrected Christ after three days in the grave!

(1) (Reply)

Obey God- Obey Your Parents / Can I Commit Suicide And Go To Heaven / Nsukka Catholic Cathedral That Was Dedicated Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.