Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information (36842 Views)

Court Orders Apostle Suleman To Pay Maureen Badejo £19k / Apostle Suleman To Buhari: ‘Your EndSARS Speech Was Useless, Insensitive’ / Apostle Suleman To Launch Mobile Network In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Kamnelly(f): 11:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
lightangel65i:
So he cant give this to the poor, right.

He is just trying to paint a good image for himself.

She is already dead, let the police do their jobs

Go and seat in shame... Your fingers were completely disconnected from your brain while you were typing this...tuweh

2 Likes

Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 01, 2020
ArticleBeast:

I said shut up. You are too foolish to be among the living
Don't mind him.
That's how one behaves after poverty has rented apartment in his or her life.
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by SlawG: 11:14pm On Jun 01, 2020
It has been widely held among many sincere and well-meaning Christians that Charles Darwin on his deathbed not only renounced evolution, but also accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. The tale of this deathbed conversion has been passed down over the years as fact. This “event” has even been used as “evidence” that evolution is false. The overzealous have, at times, boldly proclaimed, “See—even Darwin knew that this theory was not true!”

Early Reports
What is the basis for this story? As often as it is repeated, there must be credible evidence that these events actually took place, right? Surely, the tale would not have continued through the years if it were a lie? Sadly, when evidence is sought, there is little to support this story.

Charles Darwin died in April 1882 and was buried in Westminster Abbey. Within days of his death, reports of a conversion experience began to circulate. The first report supposedly came in a sermon preached in South Wales by a gentleman identified as “Mr. Huntingdon.” Some weeks later there surfaced a report about a letter sent to John Eadie, a divinity professor in Glasgow, in which Darwin indicated, “He can with confidence look to Calvary.”1 Curiously, when examined, Darwin’s existing correspondence (which totals over 14,000 letters) contains no communication between these two men.2

Lady Hope
The most often cited evidence for the alleged conversion of Darwin comes from a woman known as Lady Hope. She was born Elizabeth Reid Cotton in December 1842 and was the daughter of General Sir Arthur Cotton. She and her father were active evangelists in Kent, very near Charles Darwin’s home. In 1877, she married Admiral Sir James Hope and thus became Lady Hope, a title she continued to use even after remarrying subsequent to Sir James’s death a few years later.3

While traveling in America in 1915 she attended a conference in East Northfield, Massachusetts. While there she apparently told the story of a visit she had with Darwin before the scientist’s death. She recounted this tale during a devotional service and was later persuaded to write an account of this visit, which was then published in the Watchman-Examiner, a national Baptist magazine, on August 19, 1915.4

Here, Lady Hope claimed to have visited Darwin on an autumn afternoon. She noted that Darwin had been bedridden for several months before his death, and at the time of her visit she found him sitting up in bed. Lady Hope indicated that Darwin was at the time reading the Bible, which she claimed he was always studying. When asked what he was reading he replied, “Hebrews . . . the Royal Book.” Darwin also supposedly commented, “I was a young man with unformed ideas.”

Lady Hope further claimed that before her departure she was asked by Darwin to return and speak to his servants in his summerhouse. When asked about the subject on which she should speak, Darwin was said to have replied “Christ Jesus!”

What Really Happened?
WHEN THE FULL TEXT OF THE REPORT IS EXAMINED, THERE ARE MANY INCONSISTENCIES THAT MAKE THE STORY UNTENABLE.
Unfortunately, when the full text of the report is examined, there are many inconsistencies that make the story untenable. While it is possible that Lady Hope did visit Darwin’s home in late 1881, this was almost seven months before his death.5 He was certainly not bedridden for six months before his death. Further, there was nothing to indicate that he was always studying the Bible.

On the Down House property, there was a small summerhouse, but it was too small to accommodate 30 people. There is nothing in his writings to indicate that Darwin ever asked anyone to speak about “Christ Jesus.”

Further, it is fascinating what Lady Hope’s story does not say. It does not say that Darwin renounced evolution. It merely says that Darwin speculated over the outcome of his ideas. He never backed away from evolution. Nor does the Lady Hope story say that Darwin actually became a Christian. The story, even if true, merely claims that Darwin was reading the Bible and made a statement about Christ. Nowhere is there a claim of a saving relationship with the Savior.

As soon as this story became public, the denials from Darwin’s family began (as they did after every supposed “conversion story” became known). In a letter to James Howe, Darwin’s son Francis wrote in 1915: “He [Darwin] could not have become openly and enthusiastically Christian without the knowledge of his family, and no such change occurred.”6

In a letter dated May 28, 1918, Francis again writes: “Lady Hope’s account of my father’s views on religion is quite untrue. I have publicly accused her of falsehood, but I have not seen any reply.”3

Darwin’s daughter Henrietta wrote in 1922: “I was present at his deathbed. Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. . . . He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier.”7

Conclusion
Beyond these denials, if the tale were true, why did Darwin’s wife Emma not rejoice in this? She was always troubled by what she perceived as the godless nature of his views. If he indeed repented, why did she not make this known? Also, if the story were credible, why did Lady Hope wait 33 years before relating it, and even then, relating it in a country across the ocean?

Given the weight of evidence, it must be concluded that Lady Hope’s story is unsupportable, even if she did actually visit Darwin. He never became a Christian, and he never renounced evolution. As much as we would like to believe that he died with a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, it is much more likely that he didn’t. It is unfortunate that the story continues to be promoted by many sincere people who use this in an effort to discredit evolution when many other great arguments exist, including the greatest: the Bible. ACCORDING TO THE LINK YOU SENT. Cc osazsky

1 Like

Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by RPG2020(m): 11:15pm On Jun 01, 2020
Na those stupid Aye kill her police go catch them soon
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by osazsky(m): 11:16pm On Jun 01, 2020
Funny enough most atheist and followers of thier masters believe that thier grand parents were monkeys and apes dont even know that Charles dawin read d bible when he was old sick and abt to die..cried and said he was young then that was y he did wat he did..I feel for Nigerians forming atheist here. Dawing may still make heaven cuz he repented most persons here may not be fortunate they my die quickly tru accident...thread with care

Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Biggers82(m): 11:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
All this fake one room churches everywhere don't be surprise Lo and Behold na that idiotic randy pastor Rape that girl self
Dey should use Edo Voodoo to track the rapist down nah
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by SlawG: 11:18pm On Jun 01, 2020
osazsky:
Funny enough most atheist and followers of thier masters believe that thier grand parents were monkeys and apes dont even know that Charles dawin read d bible when he was old sick and abt to die..cried and said he was young then that was y he did wat he did..I feel for Nigerians forming atheist here. Dawing may still make heaven cuz he repented most persons here may not be fortunate they my die quickly tru accident...thread with care
read above sir.
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Igbojihadist: 11:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
wany:
Justice
come out make we run am live no be online matter
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by osazsky(m): 11:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
SlawG:
It has been widely held among many sincere and well-meaning Christians that Charles Darwin on his deathbed not only renounced evolution, but also accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. The tale of this deathbed conversion has been passed down over the years as fact. This “event” has even been used as “evidence” that evolution is false. The overzealous have, at times, boldly proclaimed, “See—even Darwin knew that this theory was not true!”

Early Reports
What is the basis for this story? As often as it is repeated, there must be credible evidence that these events actually took place, right? Surely, the tale would not have continued through the years if it were a lie? Sadly, when evidence is sought, there is little to support this story.

Charles Darwin died in April 1882 and was buried in Westminster Abbey. Within days of his death, reports of a conversion experience began to circulate. The first report supposedly came in a sermon preached in South Wales by a gentleman identified as “Mr. Huntingdon.” Some weeks later there surfaced a report about a letter sent to John Eadie, a divinity professor in Glasgow, in which Darwin indicated, “He can with confidence look to Calvary.”1 Curiously, when examined, Darwin’s existing correspondence (which totals over 14,000 letters) contains no communication between these two men.2

Lady Hope
The most often cited evidence for the alleged conversion of Darwin comes from a woman known as Lady Hope. She was born Elizabeth Reid Cotton in December 1842 and was the daughter of General Sir Arthur Cotton. She and her father were active evangelists in Kent, very near Charles Darwin’s home. In 1877, she married Admiral Sir James Hope and thus became Lady Hope, a title she continued to use even after remarrying subsequent to Sir James’s death a few years later.3

While traveling in America in 1915 she attended a conference in East Northfield, Massachusetts. While there she apparently told the story of a visit she had with Darwin before the scientist’s death. She recounted this tale during a devotional service and was later persuaded to write an account of this visit, which was then published in the Watchman-Examiner, a national Baptist magazine, on August 19, 1915.4

Here, Lady Hope claimed to have visited Darwin on an autumn afternoon. She noted that Darwin had been bedridden for several months before his death, and at the time of her visit she found him sitting up in bed. Lady Hope indicated that Darwin was at the time reading the Bible, which she claimed he was always studying. When asked what he was reading he replied, “Hebrews . . . the Royal Book.” Darwin also supposedly commented, “I was a young man with unformed ideas.”

Lady Hope further claimed that before her departure she was asked by Darwin to return and speak to his servants in his summerhouse. When asked about the subject on which she should speak, Darwin was said to have replied “Christ Jesus!”

What Really Happened?
WHEN THE FULL TEXT OF THE REPORT IS EXAMINED, THERE ARE MANY INCONSISTENCIES THAT MAKE THE STORY UNTENABLE.
Unfortunately, when the full text of the report is examined, there are many inconsistencies that make the story untenable. While it is possible that Lady Hope did visit Darwin’s home in late 1881, this was almost seven months before his death.5 He was certainly not bedridden for six months before his death. Further, there was nothing to indicate that he was always studying the Bible.

On the Down House property, there was a small summerhouse, but it was too small to accommodate 30 people. There is nothing in his writings to indicate that Darwin ever asked anyone to speak about “Christ Jesus.”

Further, it is fascinating what Lady Hope’s story does not say. It does not say that Darwin renounced evolution. It merely says that Darwin speculated over the outcome of his ideas. He never backed away from evolution. Nor does the Lady Hope story say that Darwin actually became a Christian. The story, even if true, merely claims that Darwin was reading the Bible and made a statement about Christ. Nowhere is there a claim of a saving relationship with the Savior.

As soon as this story became public, the denials from Darwin’s family began (as they did after every supposed “conversion story” became known). In a letter to James Howe, Darwin’s son Francis wrote in 1915: “He [Darwin] could not have become openly and enthusiastically Christian without the knowledge of his family, and no such change occurred.”6

In a letter dated May 28, 1918, Francis again writes: “Lady Hope’s account of my father’s views on religion is quite untrue. I have publicly accused her of falsehood, but I have not seen any reply.”3

Darwin’s daughter Henrietta wrote in 1922: “I was present at his deathbed. Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. . . . He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier.”7

Conclusion
Beyond these denials, if the tale were true, why did Darwin’s wife Emma not rejoice in this? She was always troubled by what she perceived as the godless nature of his views. If he indeed repented, why did she not make this known? Also, if the story were credible, why did Lady Hope wait 33 years before relating it, and even then, relating it in a country across the ocean?

Given the weight of evidence, it must be concluded that Lady Hope’s story is unsupportable, even if she did actually visit Darwin. He never became a Christian, and he never renounced evolution. As much as we would like to believe that he died with a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, it is much more likely that he didn’t. It is unfortunate that the story continues to be promoted by many sincere people who use this in an effort to discredit evolution when many other great arguments exist, including the greatest: the Bible. ACCORDING TO THE LINK YOU SENT. Cc osazsky
u can believe what u like...I have said my own..it has been proven..there is an after life and my grand parents weren't apes and monkeys if urs were I have no prob with dat good night
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Igbojihadist: 11:21pm On Jun 01, 2020
Queenserah26:
This is commendable. Whatever must be done, justice is what we need!
justice 4 who u don catch abi na who u neva catch
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by SlawG: 11:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
osazsky:
u can believe what u like...I have said my own..it has been proven..there is an after life and my grand parents weren't apes and monkeys if urs were I have no prob with dat good night

Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by osazsky(m): 11:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
Austin9807:
see blew
una don start.make league resume fully first scampers everywhere
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by osazsky(m): 11:25pm On Jun 01, 2020
SlawG:
It has been widely held among many sincere and well-meaning Christians that Charles Darwin on his deathbed not only renounced evolution, but also accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. The tale of this deathbed conversion has been passed down over the years as fact. This “event” has even been used as “evidence” that evolution is false. The overzealous have, at times, boldly proclaimed, “See—even Darwin knew that this theory was not true!”if u were wise ..y did evolution end at sapiens man..y has man not evolved into aliens or other animals after how many decades

Early Reports

Lady Hope

What Really Happened?

Conclusion

Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by osazsky(m): 11:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
SlawG:
read above sir.
if u were wise y did evolution end at sapiens man..y has man not evolved into aliens or dolphins after how many decades
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by paparazi1(m): 11:33pm On Jun 01, 2020
oluwaseyi0:
You didn't see this in your new year prophecy ? why can't you pray for God to reveal them to you?
Now i know really that some humans have empty skull and so they can't think and reason straight, aways full of
bitterness and malice like the person above me. Spits
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Cephas11(m): 11:35pm On Jun 01, 2020
ArticleBeast:

I said shut up. You are too foolish to be among the living

I had to go over the message a second time to see the stupidity displayed..I am not suprised as they say madness comes in many forms!But this one is LEGENDARY!!!
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by osazsky(m): 11:37pm On Jun 01, 2020
paparazi1:
Now i know really that some humans have empty skull and so they can't think and reason straight, aways full of
bitterness and malice like the person above me. Spits
he expects sulaiman to know the names of all those killed by boko haram..those who died while having sex.those that were kidnapped like d Yahoo boy that was killer by a friend . Just ignore them..someone on this forum even atacked pastor Chris that upon all his tithe he coundnt tarr roads in d north.tax is mandatory tithe is not .I hate to talj here at times
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by simplyshade: 11:37pm On Jun 01, 2020
cheesy
osazsky:
if u were wise y did evolution end at sapiens man..y has man not evolved into aliens or dolphins after how many decades
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by SlawG: 11:37pm On Jun 01, 2020
osazsky:
i though you told me good night? Evolution means a gradual change in the characteristics of a population of animals or plants over successive generations. SLEEP WELL SIR!
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by friday2011(m): 11:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
lightangel65i:
So he cant give this to the poor, right.

He is just trying to paint a good image for himself.

She is already dead, let the police do their jobs

Na wa, nothing wey person fit do to satisfy una...

Wetin.
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by lightangel65i(m): 11:40pm On Jun 01, 2020
friday2011:

Na wa, nothing wey person fit do to satisfy una...

Wetin.

Give me free ticket to heaven ill be satisfied
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by PlainJoe: 11:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
Flairoqy:

This format is casted.

Nothing is casted in my case Sir. I can present myself before you physically.
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by amaniro: 12:00am On Jun 02, 2020
lightangel65i:

Like you did right when you parents emasculated you

Lol I'm definitely not exchanging words with you.
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Charly68: 12:00am On Jun 02, 2020
How far can the wicked hide from the eyes of the Lord ..? Wherever they are now,there is no peace in them and they will be running up and down till God expose them..crime does not pay
Re: Vera Uwaila: Apostle Suleman To Give N1 Million To Any With Reliable Information by Debodimeji01(m): 12:37am On Jun 02, 2020
bigiyaro:
we all know this bounty shit don't work in Nigeria, God help the unfortunate person that will talk to the police about the rape, however, I trust the Nigerian police to get the idiots on their own, they can do the magic if they want to.

Yea... Very True.
Believe me you, if Nigerian Police want to work, they will. I've fallen victim of a phone issue that Nigerian Police solve within 48hrs. Till date, I am still in shock if it's the same Nigerian Police.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

COVID-19: Pastor Adewale Giwa Begs Members Not To Pay Tithes, Offerings / Offiah Identical Twins To Be Ordained As Catholic Priests Same Day (Photos) / Funny Cartoons - No Sacred Cows Here . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.