Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,790 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time (40440 Views)

Floyd Mayweather Wins As He Knocks Out Conor Mcgregor In The 10th Round (Pics) / More Than 100 Doctors Say Mayweather-mcgregor Fight Should Not Have Been Allowed / Floyd Mayweather Beats Conor McGregor In 10th Round As Referee Stops Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by odurombi: 7:12am On Jun 02, 2020
I feel the list is bias. Period!
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by MandalorianCree: 7:14am On Jun 02, 2020
The greatest boxer of all time is Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Robinson is the reason they created the pound for pound rankings where they compared boxers regardless of weight class. Muhammad Ali is the greatest heavyweight of all time. Ali beat guys that were killers, guys that instilled fear, Ali beat Sonny Liston, Frazier, Foreman, guys that were killers in the ring. What makes a boxer great is the level of opponents he defeats. Rocky Marciano was also undefeated in his career as a heavyweight boxer that doesn't make him the greatest heavyweight of all time.

3 Likes

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by DSoj(m): 7:15am On Jun 02, 2020
Another useless list after Mayweather has dashed them money lol.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by Sexyjigga(m): 7:17am On Jun 02, 2020
Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Robinson are the three greatest boxers of all time.

3 Likes

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by 1stola: 7:19am On Jun 02, 2020
[s]
kingkakaone:

Tyson is for this generation but not as great as those on the list. His reign was powerful but short.
We are talking about people who reigned for a long time here. I'm not taking anything away from Tyson but he couldn't have been the boxing GOAT.
Do you know about Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis?
Those were beasts. I'd like you to watch their clips on ESPN boxing online or better still watch DStv SS 8 on weekdays from 12am to see these great boxers.
Ali also is good and could still pass out as the GOAT but Tyson cannot wear that crown.
[/s]
You know nothing!
Just like those fools who compiled the list.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by MandalorianCree: 7:20am On Jun 02, 2020
Sexyjigga:
Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Robinson are the three greatest boxers of all time.
I think Foreman was better than Frazier. Foreman handed Frazier a brutal beating in their bout together. Frazier was a great fighter though, great left hook, won Ali once. But Foreman edges Frazier for me.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by southpole: 7:22am On Jun 02, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
on paper, yes he is, but the reality is that, if Mike Tyson isnt on that list, then these people dont know what greatest fighter means.

forget their losses, MIKE TYSON is the greatest fighter that ever lived, no questions about it....followed closely by Ali.
we can't forget their losses , losing is part of the game, you can not strip them of their losses because you want them to be greatest of all times that will amount to injustice to the man who forght 50 fights without losing one.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by Sexyjigga(m): 7:24am On Jun 02, 2020
MandalorianCree:

I think Foreman was better than Frazier. Foreman handed Frazier a brutal beating in their bout together. Frazier was a great fighter though, great left hook, won Ali once. But Foreman edges Frazier for me.

You have a point bro... Only reason I included Frazier was cos of the 'Thrilla in Manila' bout and the fact that he fought Ali thrice.

5 Likes

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by Ewedegubbler: 7:24am On Jun 02, 2020
garbage
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by kayusely70(m): 7:26am On Jun 02, 2020
What About Sony Liston And Joe Frazer?
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by MandalorianCree: 7:28am On Jun 02, 2020
Sexyjigga:

You have a point bro... Only reason I included Frazier was cos of the 'Thrilla in Manila' bout and the fact that he fought Ali thrice.
'Thrilla in manila' was one of the greatest bouts in history, anybody that can step into the ring three times with Ali is a warrior. Props to Frazier, he's a legend and a great too.

1 Like

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by joeyfire(m): 7:28am On Jun 02, 2020
Awoo88:

You don't know what you talking about. was Floyd getting young during those periods? Manny refuse a random blood test until it was no longer convenient for him to do so.

Thats not what I remember o. Manny did the mandatory blood test but Mayweather's team still demanded he do more tests and accused him of doping.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by Sexyjigga(m): 7:30am On Jun 02, 2020
MandalorianCree:

'Thrilla in manila' was one of the greatest bouts in history, anybody that can step into the ring three times with Ali is a warrior. Props to Frazier, he's a legend and a great too.

Yes boss... They're all great...

2 Likes

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by OChimex: 7:31am On Jun 02, 2020
ValCon888:
Any list where Cassius Clay a.k.a Muhammad Ali isn't the no.1 boxer of all time is a useless list.

I'm shocked beyond belief the list doesn't include Joe Frazier.

The Baddest Man on the Planet, the only boxer who throws punches in bunches, and the youngest heavy weight champion of all time Iron Mike Tyson is not even in the top 10.

The clowns that compiled this list are high on angel dust.

Haba Nigerians, I tire for the way you guys reason and argue things.

Those you mentioned, can you give their records?

The list mentioned names and records which was compiled based on who has most clean sheet.
Going by clean sheet, May weather has it, he has never lost a fight, not even a draw. Alli, Frazier, Tyson all lost fights.

So what's your argument about?

Did they tell you they were compiling the hardest puncher?

What you just said was like arguing why they give Allison two golden gloves last season and not give it to either De Gea, Oblak or Neur...

Don't just write things without having a rethink otherwise, you make yourself either sound childish or stupid.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by mrkings84(m): 7:31am On Jun 02, 2020
ValCon888:
Any list where Cassius Clay a.k.a Muhammad Ali isn't the no.1 boxer of all time is a useless list.

The Baddest Man on the Planet, the only boxer who throws punches in bunches, and the youngest heavy weight champion of all time Iron Mike Tyson is not even in the top 10.

And u think u know better than those that compiled this list??
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by MandalorianCree: 7:33am On Jun 02, 2020
southpole:
we can't forget their losses , losing is part of the game, you can not strip them of their losses because you want them to be greatest of all times that will amount to injustice to the man who forght 50 fights without losing one.
Not losing a fight doesn't make you the greatest of all time, just google Rocky Marciano. He fought 49 times and lost none. Mayweather is a great boxer no doubt, a master of defensive boxing, he's one of the greatest but not THE greatest. The greatest remains Muhammad Ali (according to boxing legends and boxing experts). For me though Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest followed by Muhammad Ali.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by omonnakoda: 7:35am On Jun 02, 2020
abbey621:

Mehn you really don't know how boxing works do you? You fight the number 1 contender and some scrubs. Holyfield's prime was before Tyson's prime so how could they face each other? Holyfield was a cruiserweight champion while Tyson fought as heavyweight, how could they meet? It was not until after Tyson went to prison and Holyfield added some weight that they both were in the same class. DO YOU SEE NOW THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING?
How old are you kid?Why did Tyson duck Holyfield to fight Buster Douglas?
The next fight Douglas fought after beating Tyson was against Holyfield who knocked him out in Round 3 the same year.
You better keep quiet. Those of us who stayed up all night to watch ALL Tyson's fights will educate you about boxing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by southpole: 7:35am On Jun 02, 2020
MandalorianCree:
The greatest boxer of all time is Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Robinson is the reason they created the pound for pound rankings where they compared boxers regardless of weight class. Muhammad Ali is the greatest heavyweight of all time. Ali beat guys that were killers, guys that instilled fear, Ali beat Sonny Liston, Frazier, Foreman, guys that were killers in the ring. What makes a boxer great is the level of opponents he defeats. Rocky Marciano was also undefeated in his career as a heavyweight boxer that doesn't make him the greatest heavyweight of all time.
yet Ali recorded 6 losses in his 61 fights which may include few losses in his first 50 fights , May weather did not record a loss in his 50 fights
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by HantaVirus(m): 7:37am On Jun 02, 2020
If Floyd Mayweather is the greatest boxer of all time, Then Drake is the greatest rapper of all time too.

3 Likes

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by toscolee(m): 7:37am On Jun 02, 2020
I'm not a fan of Mayweather, but those of you saying that he's too defensive, watch his early fights.
He attacks well and can stand toe to toe when cornered.

1 Like

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by Austeeenxx: 7:39am On Jun 02, 2020
OChimex:

The list mentioned names and records which was compiled based on who has most clean sheet.
Going by clean sheet, May weather has it, he has never lost a fight, not even a draw. Alli, Frazier, Tyson all lost fights.

What you just said was like arguing why they give Allison two golden gloves last season and not give it to either De Gea, Oblak or Neur...

Don't just write things without having a rethink otherwise, you make yourself either sound childish or stupid.

If it is by being undefeated Rocky Marciano will be on that list.

4 Likes

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by omonnakoda: 7:40am On Jun 02, 2020
abbey621:

Mehn you really don't know how boxing works do you? You fight the number 1 contender and some scrubs. Holyfield's prime was before Tyson's prime so how could they face each other? Holyfield was a cruiserweight champion while Tyson fought as heavyweight, how could they meet? It was not until after Tyson went to prison and Holyfield added some weight that they both were in the same class. DO YOU SEE NOW THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING?
Holyfield was Number one heavyweight contender in 1990 , Tyson ducked him to fight Buster Douglas

1 Like

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by OChimex: 7:41am On Jun 02, 2020
Austeeenxx:

If it is by being undefeated Rocky Marciano will be on that list.
Again you argue without evidence. Google and show us record of Rocky...
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by DRPAIT123(m): 7:45am On Jun 02, 2020
ValCon888:

I'm pretty sure you are a great boxing fan to have put this piece together.
TTTT, how many HOFs did Mike beat, he lost against the major HOFs like holyfield, Lennox Luis, he beat only two HOFs of which the so aged Larry Holmes was in his record, compare this to boxers like Money. In terms of resume, Lennox and holyfield come over Mike anyday, mike is mostly phenomenal for his amazing KO ability, and becoming the youngest champ ever, after Patterson, and Ali.
Mike's carrier was blown away for doing time for 3yrs and his alliance with the infamous Don king.
Obviously the death of his adopted father and trainer Cus Damato contributed to the sad carrier, he had all what it takes in term of talent but he wasn't disciplined enough.
Putting Mike in Top 10 HW boxers ever is pure biase not to talk of Top 10 boxers across the whole division ever. That being said I love mike and he's the most fun to watch because of his explosive nature.
There are tons of great boxers that have a better resume than Mike by a landslide.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by omonnakoda: 7:45am On Jun 02, 2020
OChimex:

Clean sheet is quite irrelevant

Joe Calzaghe 46-0 had a clean sheet and even beat Hopkins who is on the list as well as Roy Jones Jnr. BUT he fought them when they were in their 40s and generally picked his opponents

It is important to remember that boxers now fight 12 rounds . I am old enough to remember when they fought 15 rounds. grin
When there was no back pass rule in football

I don't think the two eras can be compared.
George Foreman would have destroyed Tyson in 5 rounds.

Go and look at his record when he came back in his 40s

1 Like

Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by Mawex(m): 7:46am On Jun 02, 2020
Heavyweight boxers are the only boxers I know not some people acting BOXING like WWE
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by OKTolu: 7:46am On Jun 02, 2020
The person that compiled this list is high on cheap weed because I don't expect greatest of all time name to not top that list.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by mekuxiani(m): 7:46am On Jun 02, 2020
robosky02:

https://www.completesports.com/mayweather-jnr-rated-greatest-boxer-of-all-time/
nonsense go and watch mayweather and monzon fight the guy beat mayweather the judges gave it to mayweather
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by OBku4(m): 7:47am On Jun 02, 2020
ValCon888:

Please, rankings are based on RESULTS not sentiments
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by MandalorianCree: 7:47am On Jun 02, 2020
OChimex:

Again you argue without evidence. Google and show us record of Rocky...
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by MandalorianCree: 7:48am On Jun 02, 2020
MandalorianCree:

He is correct, Marciano was undefeated, Marciano also beat the great Joe Louise, albeit a washed up, past his prime Joe Louise.
Re: Floyd Mayweather Jnr Rated Greatest Boxer Of All Time by southpole: 7:48am On Jun 02, 2020
MandalorianCree:

Not losing a fight doesn't make you the greatest of all time, just google Rocky Marciano. He fought 49 times and lost none. Mayweather is a great boxer no doubt, a master of defensive boxing, he's one of the greatest but not THE greatest. The greatest remains Muhammad Ali (according to boxing legends and boxing experts). For me though Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest followed by Muhammad Ali.
Ali recorded 6 losses out of his 61 fights, May weather won all his 50 fights without a loss
If we are to award 2 marks for win and 0 for loss to the first 50 fights of Ali in which he lost 2 or 3 fights and to the 50 fights of May weather in which there is no loss who do you think will be the greatest? Let not you like for Ali affect your sense of Judgment. The ranking is based on the number of wins and losses recorded.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Letter Cristiano Ronaldo Wrote To Real Madrid In Appreciation / Wilfred Ndidi Celebrate His Wife, Dinma On Her Birthday / Ahmed Musa Steps Down As Assistant Captain Of Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.