Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? (116534 Views)

Share Your Experience Living In The Same Compound With The Landlord/Landlady / Nigerians Need To Start RELOCATING Back Home- Invest In AMEN ESTATE Phase2 / Aloysius Ikegwuonu (bishop) Builds Home For The Disabled - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by InvertedHammer: 2:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
/
I blame both of them.

Trust but verify.

/
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Aboguede(m): 2:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
praiseneo:
yea 08067662004

But if you can tell me the price better
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Chirowman(m): 2:36pm On Jun 05, 2020
this too bad
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by ArcFresky(m): 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
you are underrating money

It is what I do
Hence the reason I stated concrete.

Once you use concrete, you need it to cure properly, especially when you are doing a storey building.

If it were wood, steel or pre-fabricated building, you can have a complete building under weeks.

2 Likes

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 05, 2020
If there is anyone abroad who want to build a house. I can build one for you. I am a developer grin

My development is very fast
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by babyfaceafrica: 2:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
ArcFresky:

It is what I do
Hence the reason I stated concrete.

Once you use concrete, you need it to cure properly, especially when you are doing a storey building.

If it were wood, steel or pre-fabricated building, you can have a complete building under weeks.
give Julius berger the money and see it done
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by ArcFresky(m): 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
give Julius berger the money and see it done

Smh... I guess you have never heard of curing before.

Even bridges with concrete underwater, need sufficient time to properly cure.

2 Likes

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Cousin9999: 3:16pm On Jun 05, 2020
This can happen anywhere in the world. That's why you need to physically check on it, and you need to have someone there you can trust to monitor it.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Ycube: 3:17pm On Jun 05, 2020
Empiree:
they complain of bad economy, bad govt and lack of opportunity. But when given one they loot you dry and still blame govt. I have said it many times and I will repeat it again. Nigerian govt is reflection of it's people and the people are the reflection of their govt.
Exactly, the rate of fraud in Nigeria is very alarming.

2 Likes

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by praiseneo(m): 3:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
Aboguede:

But if you can tell me the price better
not on public forum like this let's chat on whatsapp pls for proper discussion thank you
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Okikaneseokwu: 3:31pm On Jun 05, 2020
Officialgarri:
Same thing is happening to a guy. He keeps sending money to his family to build a house for him but the project was so slow compared to the amount he has been sending.
His siblings kept squandering the money.
He sent home a bus full of clothes, his eldest brother dissapeared with it.

Now, he met a lady online with the promise of marriage. He started sending money via this girlfriend because he doesn't trust his family.
Not knowing the girl is only subtle demon too.

For everything he wants to buy, this girlfriend will double the price and till now, he's still sending money till now.
The lady's family are also aware and encouraging her to drain the guy.

This is not an hearsay, the lady is my friend grin

I've never spoken to the guy. I only see him on video calls when he's talking with her cheesy . And it's not my business neither is it my duty to ruin their relationship.

Recently, he asked the lady to get a shop close to the guy's family house. This lady informed her sister and mother. They advised this lady to convince him to rent the shop in her own state. Stating that, if she gets a shop close the guy's family house, the business will be in the guy's brother's name. So, she was advised to convince him to get the shop in her own family state so the business would be in her name. Also, she should tell him the shop is 5million naira cheesy cheesy

She has convinced the guy, but I haven't heard about the money though cheesy
Pls look for a way to safe that young man, put yourself in his shoes.The girl and her family don't have good intentions towards him

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Ycube: 3:36pm On Jun 05, 2020
Isoduwa:

So why is Nigerian matter na your problem stay away from here we don't need people like you

Keep your money away from bad network but don't Stay away from your perspective
He is right, the rate of fraud in Nigeria is very alarming, let us tell our selves the truth.
#SAY NO TO SCAM.
#LIVE RIGHT.

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by sisisioge: 3:41pm On Jun 05, 2020
Or save your money and buy a finished house...EOD
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by praiseneo(m): 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
doggedfighter:

Where in Onitsha is the plot located?
ohukabia
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by PotatoSalad(m): 3:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
Officialgarri:
Same thing is happening to a guy. He keeps sending money to his family to build a house for him but the project was so slow compared to the amount he has been sending.
His siblings kept squandering the money.
He sent home a bus full of clothes, his eldest brother dissapeared with it.

Now, he met a lady online with the promise of marriage. He started sending money via this girlfriend because he doesn't trust his family.
Not knowing the girl is only subtle demon too.

For everything he wants to buy, this girlfriend will double the price and till now, he's still sending money till now.
The lady's family are also aware and encouraging her to drain the guy.

This is not an hearsay, the lady is my friend grin

I've never spoken to the guy. I only see him on video calls when he's talking with her cheesy . And it's not my business neither is it my duty to ruin their relationship.

Recently, he asked the lady to get a shop close to the guy's family house. This lady informed her sister and mother. They advised this lady to convince him to rent the shop in her own state. Stating that, if she gets a shop close the guy's family house, the business will be in the guy's brother's name. So, she was advised to convince him to get the shop in her own family state so the business would be in her name. Also, she should tell him the shop is 5million naira cheesy cheesy

She has convinced the guy, but I haven't heard about the money though cheesy
You think it's funny? You're minding your business cos you're not being affected. Hopefully someday you'll be in the guy's shoes and they'll treat your own Malaria with vitamin c
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by ngwababe(f): 3:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
feldido:
grin

More like this

Very much true grin
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Josnac(m): 3:57pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ramos16:
There is literally only one picture of a wall.

Also, how much has she put into this project?

If you read well through the narrative, I mentioned that the structure was supposed to be double flats; the picture of the wall you're seeing is the wall separating the front flat from the back flat, it's equally the staircase wall.

Did you read the lines where I mentioned "4-5-1-3" and "3-4-1-3"??
If you did you would understand that picture.
she's spent millions on the project, that's means it is not one million, but above it.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by doggedfighter(f): 3:59pm On Jun 05, 2020
praiseneo:
ohukabia
Oh.. never heard of this area in Onitsha.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by tope3x(m): 4:13pm On Jun 05, 2020
Thank you...my projects are monitored via WhatsApp video call everyday....its just like I'm in Nigeria

mufutau55:
Thank you very much for the thread. Many diasporan have fallen victim of dubious people like this in Nigeria and most of them are family members.
In this mordern days, there is no reason not to receive daily pictures of your project from your contractors.
Also you are right, why not engage in a professional person to do your project and travel home un-announced to see what is happening with your project.
May God help us all.

Hajji M.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Johnsown1(m): 4:20pm On Jun 05, 2020
That's what happen when you send the money to your relatives or those that knows you very well.

Why don't you trust professional with your money and investment. Check my DP for genuine property in Enuhu state and day to day activities in your sites.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Ramos16(m): 4:25pm On Jun 05, 2020
paradigmshift:

Ur brain dey pain u o lol

Na the alomo wai I take
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by praiseneo(m): 4:41pm On Jun 05, 2020
doggedfighter:

Oh.. never heard of this area in Onitsha.
okija yea that's where the land is located
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by MariamAlheri: 4:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
Exc2000:
cool

to avoid stories that tourch, try and patronize this new generation estate developers and stop turning you family, friends and relatives to project managers

very simple google developers like lekki gardens, Ardron Homes and a host of others, give them a call and negotiate a meeting with them to formalise the deal most would even allow instalmental payments and you wont have to worry about omo onile as you would have to go with your lawyers

Funny thing is no matter what you tell Sturborn Nigerians they would never yeild... more gulible Nigerians in diaspora would still follow the route of turning an unprofessional relative to a building developer or project managers, its like telling them not to go to libya or other arab countries not to become sex slaves but more people would still go

Exactly o! Help us tell them!

Stop wasting your hard earned money by trusting dubious family members and friends with your lands and building projects.

Use Real Estate Companies. I work with Adron Homes and Properties, and we're 100% real and legal. Contact me today on 08069506169 for affordable lands and houses in choice locations.

And you will be happy you did.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by doggedfighter(f): 4:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
praiseneo:
okija yea that's where the land is located

Okay, I get it now was thinking it would be be around 33, Trans Nkisi or Nkwelle axis.

I wish you a quick sale !
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
ArcFresky:

Smh... I guess you have never heard of curing before.
ven bridges with concrete underwater, need sufficient time to properly cure.

Sorry to say Sir, but the lady is right. There are ways to hasten curing and even big construction companies do it. I've seen buildings built that way and still met all construction standards. It's all about the money available

For someone in the field, you need to upgrade yourself, it'll help you get more jobs done.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by praiseneo(m): 4:47pm On Jun 05, 2020
doggedfighter:

Okay, I get it now was thinking it would be be around 33, Trans Nkisi or Nkwelle axis.

I wish you a quick sale !
thank you

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by IMO01: 4:55pm On Jun 05, 2020
MOnkeyBabe:
note me down in case of futuRe. You never know

Noted madam

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by okparanicomezz: 5:18pm On Jun 05, 2020
I'm Still Thinking If These Ill Gotten Money Can Make Them Live Eternally. It's So Heart Breaking.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 5:20pm On Jun 05, 2020
The site I just left recently had similar case,....(A two storey block of flats)the Architectural drawing was designed by my company and the structural drawing from my Engineer and equally a team mate......
I was referred to the job by a town guy and on meeting the client, we concluded I do supervision work on the site and not full contract ...therefore materials will be brought to by them and labour will be direct labour....I will only be coming for supervision of the work progress when needed.

The town guy messed the work up, he first started with on site that am the Engineer handling the work therefore i should get myself a fore man when i demanded for one since I didn't see any there with him and am under supervision there...I told him no structural Engineer takes a work by supervision, supervision is done by Consultants to the site, as such the client or contractor should position a foreman knowledgeable enough in site works to assist ....he refused vehemently and decided to be the foreman himself, (somebody who doesn't know the difference between 6 inches block and 9inches block to start with) .He told me he thought I will be coming to the site on daily bases which I replied him that he was out of his senses to have thought so.

I decided to contact the Client about the work progress on his site, the town guy refused to give me his number, since the man is his Uncle based in US getting his contact was not possible....

From being a foreman he started calling himself Engineer, told my professional workers to go and he brought his own people.....

He sees to material, everything on the site but I advised him that even though building construction seems like business venture in Nigeria now, he will understand better when there is a collapse on the building and he is jailed for quackery/ possible murder cases in case one is found dead there....

I wrote an Undertaken letter of termination of work to the client that am no longer engaged to the work as I can't understand the magic his nephew is performing in the site as it is a two storey building and it was my strict supervision to a stage that got the project looking good....

This guy equally refused to send the letter to the Client saying that whenever is see the client, I should give him the letter.....

I decided to keep the copy and since there was no undertaking agreement writing form binding the work, I had to let go and face other of my sites....but I took a copy to the development board in my area and told them to monitor the site since my company name was used in the working drawing ....

OP, what you narrated was not from the blues but a reality, pls those of us in diaspora should try and be speaking with their professional engaged personnel on site and not a trusted nephew, cousin, or brother's sister's ,......

They are nothing but business oriented people, they will turn your site to a money making venture, buying inferior materials and all have you....

3 Likes

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by NovusHomo(m): 5:22pm On Jun 05, 2020
Josnac:
Good day Nairalanders.

To start, something happened some days ago, but before I go into it, let me say something most of us might have heard, like me.

Well, growing up in a typical Nigerian city (Aba) back in the days..I was privileged to listen to discussions or conversations about how someone based abroad (Ala-bekee) used to send in money for a building project in the village/city as the case may be; then after some years or over the duration of some months, would return to meet a practically empty plot of land. in some cases, the so-called land would even be nonexistent.

The type of wahala issues like this cause eh, to those who can bear it, they can simply let go since the culprits in most cases are always blood relatives/siblings/uncle's/in-laws etc.

In my line of work I've equally bumped into a couple of such projects..the most recent one being the reason for this thread.

So, some days ago, I was contacted to evaluate a building project; a supposed one storey building comprising of 4x3-bedroom flats. However, only the front flat had been done up to "their" supposed deck beam level.
The owner of this project is based in Philadelphia, U.S.A and is a woman well over the late 60's.
The project supervisor/executioner is an in-law (I think he married one of the woman's daughters based on the information I received)..

Now, the instruction was simple: "Build this house while I send in the funds, at completion you and your family would take one flat and stay as caretakers of the property".

In all honesty, what I saw at the site left me bewildered and I was just wondering the "version" of wickedness at work in the so-called in-law.. seriously!!

By the building regulation standards, a standard building height ought to be at least 3metres. To achieve this during construction (block work stage), we do what I called "4-5-1-3" for bungalow buildings and "4-5-1-2" for lower levels of multi-storey buildings above the D.P.C.
Breakdown:
Above the DPC.
4: the first 4-courses of block work leading up to the window sill.
5: the next 5courses of block works above the window sill leading up to the lintel.
1: the lintel, always having a depth of 225mm (9inches) which is the depth of all block sizes.
3: the final 3-course of block work above the lintel use to level up in readiness for roof work. In multi-storey buildings, this last 3-courses is replaced by 2-courses with the final block removed and a deck beam introduced in its stead.

For the structure under review, what I met was more like a "3-4-1-3" (as shown in the picture) kind of formation following the same format as explained above. Now me sef wey dey think say I short, I still dey bend to enter one of the rooms because the door opening will always hit my forehead, yes, that's how bad it was!
And this is supposed to be a storey building!!

Next, I equally noticed that the plinth beams (mostly referred to as "chaining" at the DPC level), were without stirrups; yes, more like the 3-12mm used were just laid round the areas they thought necessary with over-site concrete (German floor) laid directly on them. Wow! we too Sabi for this country!!!

Well, luckily for this woman in question, she happened to have returned during one of the ceremonies the Igbere people of Abia State is known for, The Igbotonma ceremony, as she was a participant in the 2017 edition, thereafter she was taken to see her project; rooms were too small, kitchen was too small, etc..the house just looked so unplanned. She was heartbroken thus ordered the job to be stopped.

Please our brothers/sisters in the obodo oyibo (abroad) try as much as possible to engage professionals to do these things for you and while at it, endeavour to come in at least once to see the project by yourself and note any peculiar landmarks or something you can use to identify your site from a photograph, before them go begin send photos of Mr Okonkwo's site go give Mr Clinton. Insist on photo updates every 2-days, if not daily or at worst every 3-days..these stories are painful and they don't just touch the heart, the touch the spinal cord too.

Well, for this particular project, discussions are ongoing and a redesign is on the way..by God's grace a follow up thread will be available to show the updates and progress made when the job starts.

Have you experienced anything like this before??
Talk to us so that others can learn.

Best wishes,
Josnac.

cc: Lawyer

Nigerians living and working abroad should stop sending money to their extended families in that country. Let each carry his/her own responsibility.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by MariamAlheri: 6:09pm On Jun 05, 2020
Jeffyblaq:

Don't be too sure next time.

I ve sent some money home.. My very immediate elder brother diverted 970k from it..

When asked after every estimates carried out.. He flared up n started talking bullshits

Mama simply asked me to let it go for peace to be..

Funny! But I've learnt my lessons.. You kno!

Coman buy property with Adron Homes and Properties, you get receipt and documents for every payment you make. Adron is 100% real, we sell lands and houses, we also build for our clients. Contact me now on 08069506169 for more information.

We currently have a 50% discount promo off all our estates. This promo ends on June 7th.

Buy now, invest wisely!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The History Of Stamped Concrete / Buy Lands At Our Planned Estate "Royal Palm Estates" Ugwuomu Nike, Enugu / How Many Bedroooms Can Fit In A Half Plot Of Land....lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.