Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,576 members, 7,837,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Are Catholics Really Christians? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Catholics Really Christians? (12604 Views)

Are Catholics Idol Worshippers? Pls See Pics / Do Catholics Really Know Who What And Why They Worship (pictures) / Are Catholics Idol Worshippers ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Kuns: 8:35pm On Jan 25, 2008
Even Jesus was not called a christians.

Matthew 2: 23 "23: And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene."

It is the disciples of Paul the liar that were called Christians.

Acts 11: 26 "And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."

Actually you will not find the word christian in the old testament. And it is used only three times in the new testament by Paul the liar.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by karlie4nia(m): 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2008
QUESTION: ARE CATHOLICS REALLY CHRISTIANS?

ANSWER: IF THIS WAS ACTUALLY ANOTHER HONEST QUESTION OUT OF IGNORANCE, THEN SURE WITHOUT GOING INTO ANY FUNDAMENTALS, THEY CERTAINLY FROM TIME IMMEMORIAL ARE CHRISTIANS. THEY BELIEVE IN CHRIST AS THE ONLY WAY TO GOD THE FATHER AND ETERNAL LIFE. PLEASE LETS ENDEAVOR TO MAKE A LITTLE RESEARCH BEFORE STARTING SUCH TOPIC. I FIND THEM RATHER UNBECOMING. EVER HEARD OF THE APOSTLES CREED(PRAYER OF SALVATION)
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Carlosein(m): 6:54pm On Jan 28, 2008
@tomX:

Mexico. . . hmmm.
Back here in Nigeria we have pentecostal pastors who burn church members with petrol, who sleep with their female members at random, who perpetuate all kinds of fraud, who consult occultic shrine to get charms to boost their church memberships etc.
Once upon a time it was a rave for protestant pastors in Nigeria to preach messages like:
"I used to be second in command to the devil before I got born again". I must have heard close to a hundred different pastors preach that message. How many second in commands did the devil have to pick from Nigeria, especialy since they keep stabbing him in the back (abi na Nigeria evil pass?).
No offense to pentecostals or fellow Nigerians.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Gamine(f): 7:08pm On Jan 28, 2008
If Catholics follow Christ they will be Christians

But since they choose to follow, Mary, Saints and the Pope

they are now Popetians, e.t.c not Christians! smiley
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by karlie4nia(m): 8:00pm On Jan 28, 2008
@ GAMINE

ABEG, TRY DEY A LITTLE MORE OBJECTIVE IN YOUR ARGUMENT. WHAT D HECK DO YOU KNOW ABOUT US(CATHOLICS) SCRIBBLING ALL THAT.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Gamine(f): 8:38pm On Jan 28, 2008
Mr MAn

i was Catholic

And i am being objective!!!

If you follow Christ, you are Christian!
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 28, 2008
Gamine:

If Catholics follow Christ they will be Christians

But since they choose to follow, Mary, Saints and the Pope

they are now Popetians, e.t.c not Christians! smiley

If the Pope follows Christ, then Catholics must be christians. Not so?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Gamine(f): 8:56pm On Jan 28, 2008
Christian as you would know is not about follow follow

There is only One we look unto

And thats God, Christ

Because my Dad is Christian(follows Christ)
And i follow him dose not qualify me for redemption

Christianity is a PERSONAL Race

if d pope is following Christ and they are following pope
Na inside pit, them go end.
Blind no fit lead Blind smiley
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 28, 2008
Gamine:

Christian as you would know is not about follow follow

There is only One we look unto

And thats God, Christ

Because my Dad is Christian(follows Christ)
And i follow him dose not qualify me for redemption

Christianity is a PERSONAL Race

if d pope is following Christ and they are following pope
Na inside pit, them go end.
Blind no fit lead Blind smiley

What do u think Jesus meant when he said:

"I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me" John 17:20-21

Do you think the divisions in the Church are in line with Jesus' prayer?

Division in the Church makes Christianity look like cajolery,
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Gamine(f): 9:18pm On Jan 28, 2008
Divisions?

What do you term a Division?

Any religion/sect/any name you could call it

that dosnt preach Jesus As Christ/Savior, the Spiritual Birth and as the only way to the Father is

not even christian to begin with.

It is false!
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 28, 2008
What we have are groups of christians going for each others throat.

The message of christ is smothered in the heat of argument and bickering.

We have many churches, but little virtue to show for it.

Non-christians will see us as unserious and will be reluctant to convert.

Christ knows the meaning and value of unity. That why he asked His Father for it
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by karlie4nia(m): 10:35am On Jan 29, 2008
BIA MRS GIRL@ GAMINE

YOU WERE CATHOLIC, I NOW SEE WHY YOUR VIEW ARE JAUNDICED. IT DOSENT MATTER THOUGH THAT U WERE ONCE CATHOLIC AS I SEE YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY FACT TO BACK UP YOUR ARGUMENT AND ITS OF NO ESSENCE RESPONDING TO YOUR BLIND ARGUMENT. I WONDER WHAT KIND OF CATHOLIC U WERE ANYWAY! LETS NOT UNDERMINE THE IMPORTANCE OF A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF RESEARCH BEFORE SCRIBBLING NOTHING OR BETTER STILL WE KEEP QUIET TILL WE COME UP WITH ENOUGH FACTS FOR OUR ARGUMENT.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Ganjaseed: 3:19pm On Jan 29, 2008
What a silly argument !!!

Catholics are not Christians, they do not look like Christ nor behave like him.
Reflect your mind back to how Catholicism started, the blood they shed trying to hide the truth of free salvation from the whole world, Is that how Jesus behaved himself when he brought the truth and sacrifice himself and seal it with his blood ?

Any message or practise contrary to what Jesus stands for and taught is Anti Christ. The RCC fits this contrary description of an anti Christ.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by texazzpete(m): 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2008
@Ganjaseed, Gamine
Kindly explain how the teachings of the Roman catholic Church are contrary to Christ's teachings.

gamine, please do well to show how catholics follow the pope and not jesus.

Funny how most people that claim they left the catholic church for pentecostal churches know little about the church they claim to leave from.

The cardinal issue is how people will beleive anything their pastors tell 'em. In my 100L in uni one deeper life came out accusing catholics of worshipping Nimrod.
in my 16 years (at that time) of being a catholic i had never heard of anyone called Nimrod. yet this guy walked away unconvinced.
Go figure

princezza:

Yes christianity evolved from catholics but HECK NO they are not alike read our bible and read theres take a close look do some research there are so many differnces espically between mexicans I noe because I am a mexican christain and all my friends are catholics mexicans their parents get drunk party like there iz no 2morro and do so many thigns that are bible is against Imean come on no offense to catholics really or mexicans.

You really have to be the most stupid person i've come across in 2008.
Afterall, if we all believe that all mexicans are greaseball illegal immigrants, drug smugglers and louts (based on portayal on TV) where does that leave you?
you, stranger, are an idiot.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by karlie4nia(m): 4:38pm On Jan 29, 2008
OK, GANJA SEED@

another ignoramus in the house. abi, make una go find as una go improve una relationship with God almighty, Jesus Christ and the Holy spirit and with your fellow neighbors than to come here with una blind yarns about who be xtian and who no be. i wonder what good your doing yourself or somebody out there.abegi
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by karlie4nia(m): 4:50pm On Jan 29, 2008
@texazzpete

I GAT YOUR BACK BROTHER. I REALLY CANT IMAGINE HOW CERTAIN PEOPLE REASON
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Gamine(f): 5:30pm On Jan 29, 2008
Texazzpete

grin grin grin grin

Just Follow Jesus ok

i think Everyone will be ok
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by chikibaybi(f): 9:56pm On Jan 31, 2008
If you guys are not catholics and don't understand what it is to be one, please just ask reasonable questions or just shut up. Don't condemn what you don't know about lest you commit sin out of ignorance caused by your silliness.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by raffite: 5:11pm On Mar 28, 2008
, Although, I'm not a Christian (and I will never be one; I was born a Great One and I'll die a Great One -- insha God),

That disqualifies you to contribute here!
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by prosper234(m): 3:46pm On Mar 30, 2008
Yes Catholics Are Christians
please all christians should void themselves of every critics i repeat all christians should void themselves of all critics againts pastor, churches etc, becareful so your future will not experience a heavy burden by you speaking against spirited and hardworking pastors, reverends and churches beware

Pastor Prosper
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Lady2(f): 5:45am On Apr 01, 2008
Ok so I came to this topic really late and I tried really hard to avoid it, but reading through, I just have a few things I observed and would like to comment on.

I really want to comment on the issue of "MARY MOTHER OF GOD"

The stance of the Protestants is that never was she called "MOTHER OF GOD" this is infact true.
But let's also keep in mind that never did Jesus call himself GOD. [s]before u crucify me please finish reading[/s]
He was always the SON OF MAN. But he did say that he and the father are one. So from that we take it that he is also GOD.
It is in this same manner that Catholics say that Mary is the Mother of God. Elisabeth called her "MOTHER OF MY LORD" the "LORD" she's referring to is JESUS. If Jesus is LORD, and by faith he is God, that would make Mary the Mother of God. I understand the syllogism thing that someone points on earlier, but if u would disqualify the words spoken of Mary, then you must disqualify the words spoken of Jesus/by Jesus.

Um those who think they know about persecution of Christians should really do their research on it and come back and tell me which christians were persecuted. Last I checked the Catholics were persecuted by other christians or am I wrong?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Lady2(f): 6:36am On Apr 01, 2008
Mother Theresa of Calacuta made headlines because of her Christian CHARITY among the Hindus than a Catholic Nun

Um Mother Theresa of Calcuta was a CATHOLIC NUN. Her missionary of charity is made up of catholic nuns.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by ow11(m): 12:55pm On Apr 01, 2008
Catholics aren't christians. . .only members of profit driven churches are!! lipsrsealed
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by PastorAIO: 5:09am On Apr 02, 2008
Please I would like to make a little contribution to the 'debate'. I am writing this peacefully, je je-ly, and respectfully to all parties. I have found that argument and strife will always exists amongst doctrinal religionist for a very simple reason. No two human beings can think the same thing about the same topic/doctrine. To the extent that we are all individuals then our concepts and beliefs will reflect this individuality.
Hence as soon as christianity gets reduced to a doctrinal matter it becomes a cat and dog fight. What a lot of new age pentecostalists do not realise is that many of the points that they accept as being christian were argued over by the Catholic and Orthodox churches of the first millenium to the present day. The very divinity of Jesus christ was argued over for many decades before it was decided that yes indeed he was divine, and not only divine but one and the same as God, the father. Every time the church agreed on one doctrine it would then hound those that didn't believe it as heretics. Many times over the course of it's history various christians kept finding themselves being safe one minute and then excluded as heretics the next only to be reinstated as orthodox yet again. Being Christian is not an intellectual exercise, but rather it is living life with power and authority through grace.

I would highly recommend that everyone spends some time studying the history of the Church. Especially the first 500 years from the time of Paul to the time that Rome fell to the barbarians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by enidjune: 8:14am On Mar 14, 2009
Are Catholics Christians?   Well they think they are but they do a lot of things that God forbids.  ie Worship Graven images, not just of God but Mary.   The commit blasphemy every time they call a Priest Father because God said 'You shall call no man Father but me'

I am a borne again christian and I attend a Bible based Church.   It is really very simple.  All you need to do is believe in God and believe that he sent his only begotten Son to die on the cross for our sins.

Secondly, repent your sins and be baptised (as Jesus was baptised by John the baptist)

There is no need for any man made rituals such as saying the Rosary which is repetitive and God said not say prayers in a repetitive fashion.   There is no need to go to confession as a Priest cannot forgive your sins.  Go straight to God.   As for praying to Mary as a mediator God said 'The only mediator is the man Jesus'.

I feel very sorry that they do not realise all the things that they do which God forbids.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Bobbyaf(m): 11:38am On Mar 14, 2009
As a man thinketh so is he, right? grin

To think as a Christian is not enough. One must act as one.

Technically, the answer is no if one defines Christianity as believing on Christ as the only way, truth and life. Catholics do not believe that Christ is the only way to salvation, otherwise they wouldn't have included Mary as Co-Redemtrix, an act in and of itself that is an affront to God Himself.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by MrCrackles(m): 11:50am On Mar 14, 2009
~Lady~:

The stance of the Protestants is that never was she called "MOTHER OF GOD" this is infact true.
But let's also keep in mind that never did Jesus call himself GOD.

Is the highlighted really true?

Then why do Christians call Jesus God?

I believe God is supreme compared to Jesus, isnt it?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 14, 2009
boobyaff is back, you re a bloody hypocrite name your church you wont yet you keep bashing the catholics as if u re any better
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:29am On Mar 15, 2009
@ chukwudi44

boobyaff is back, you re a bloody hypocrite name your church you wont yet you keep bashing the catholics as if u re any better

I am never one to bash Catholics since their teachings and actions have already done that. I am only revealing the obvious contradictions and erroneous teachings emanating from your friars, prelates, cardinals, and finally himself the pope.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 11:18am On Mar 15, 2009
How many of us venerate our wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends.How many of you out there bow to their local chiefs or even prostrate to them or to money bags.Does anyone of us have the right to judge?.I think we should concentrate on doing good,loving one another.Churches and mosques are venues for the social gathering of the members-your denomination may not save you;think about it.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by otokx(m): 12:01pm On Mar 15, 2009
i like some of them.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by babs787(m): 7:45pm On Mar 15, 2009
@Lady

He was always the SON OF MAN. But he did say that he and the father are one. So from that we take it that he is also GOD.

NA LIE. He is not God and claimed that God is greater than him.

John 14:

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father[b]: for my Father is greater than I [/b]

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

30 I and my Father are one

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Apostle Paul's Brutal Message To Galatian Christians On The Gospel Of Grace / The Salvation Plan / THE RED SEA CROSSING. Did It Really Happen? [See pictures]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.