Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,432 members, 7,836,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Are Catholics Really Christians? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Catholics Really Christians? (12600 Views)

Are Catholics Idol Worshippers? Pls See Pics / Do Catholics Really Know Who What And Why They Worship (pictures) / Are Catholics Idol Worshippers ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Carlosein(m): 6:25pm On Jun 13, 2007
@ topic
pikin wey talk say him papa no go sleep, him sef no go sleep o!
even if u proove that catholics are not christians, what will it change?

Nothing absolutely! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Julez(f): 7:19pm On Jun 13, 2007
U know, this forum should not be a place where people get defensive or look for an avenue to pour out their frustration (don't worry, I know how frustrating Lagos / life can be), it should be a place where we rub minds together. We should learn new things and stop bickering like kids (I'm sorry for being too harsh). I agree with the people who say that there are a lot of hypocrites amongst Pentecostal Xtians, Imean, if I were a muslim, I wouldnt have left my religion for such (based on what I see),

But, I've found the real thing in Christ (NO OFFENCE TO OTHERS), and I cant release it for anything.
My dad was a muslim till he also found the real thing
My mom was a "christian" till she found the real thing

Christianity is not only about speaking in tongues, churching, wearing the longest clothes, paying tithes (this are not bad o), but its about walking with Christ, like Christ and living for Christ.

Each day, we are to fashion our lives like His,

I can go on and on about this,

It breaks my heart till I could almost start crying when I see people who say they are Xtians and do not live the LIFE,

They mock Christ

I wish I wish I could shut their mouths from mocking the name Of Christ, with all their talk of "I'm BORN- AGAIN".

And please, I apologise on their behalf
Good things usually have counterfeits

Do not take everyone who says I'm born again as hypocrites
Cuz there really are some wu are truly born again
Thanks
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by barikade: 8:19am On Jun 14, 2007
Julez:

Christianity is not only about speaking in tongues, churching, wearing the longest clothes, paying tithes (this are not bad o), but its about walking with Christ, like Christ and living for Christ.

Here - please have a big hug from me! smiley
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Bobbyaf(m): 10:11am On Jun 14, 2007
@ Carlosein

@babbyaf:
what do u think about the whereabouts of mary, i mean where do you think she is: heaven, hell, nowhere?

Well, since the bible has been silent on her wherabouts since the death and resurrection of Christ, I can only think that she died and went to her grave like the apostles did, being a sinner like everyone else. Unless of course you believe that Mary had no sin.

The RCC teaches that she went to heaven and is now interceding on behalf of sinners. How else do you explain the living praying to her through the usual "hail Mary mother of God, " routine? They have even gone as far as teaching that Mary is the co-redemtrix of God. In other words Mary is seen as an all-important factor in the plan of salvation.

Now you tell me where in heaven's name did they come up with a teaching like that? You desire to know the truth? The RCC has adopted pagan beliefs and have integrated those beliefs into christendome. It has been able to maintain the Roman paganism by disguising it in the garb of christianity, and unfortunately the whole of christendome is dancing to her tune, except God's chosen.

You need to open those eyes and see what is going on before the judgements of God Almighty fall on this earth. (see Revelation 16)

"Come out of her my people" God says. Be ye separate and "touch not the unclean thing"
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Carlosein(m): 3:08pm On Jun 14, 2007
@julez
well put keep up the good work.

@bobbyaf
Well, since the bible has been silent on her wherabouts since the death and resurrection of Christ, I can only think that she died and went to her grave like the apostles did, being a sinner like everyone else. Unless of course you believe that Mary had no sin.

So u think mary and the Apostles ARE IN THEIR GRAVES!
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by PurestBoy(m): 4:59am On Jun 24, 2007
May God forgive Ajisafe, Catholics are Christians but they base they teaching on the old testament tradition and not the new covenant of Christ where the law is abolished.

Can anyone prove me wrong?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Pamperme: 4:00pm On Jun 25, 2007
Gospels are read and taught everyday during masses.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by omoge(f): 4:32pm On Jun 25, 2007
has anyone observed catholic in nigeria and oversea way of saying mass is different. it's more solemn oversea
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by cgift(m): 4:34pm On Sep 06, 2007
The post should have been :Is Mary worshipping accepted in Christainity?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 04, 2007
Ajisafe, i know why you muslims love the catholics. Because you guys are exactly alike. you worship images, do all kinds of rituals, use the rosary/praying beads and utterly believe in the same kind of things. i hope and pray that God will reveal Himself to you.i'm not a pentecostal but i Hate the catholic way of life. Catholics, Read the Bible and read it well. but do not forget to ask the Holy spirit for directions when reading. He'll open your eyes to the truths that he's been tring to reveal to you for Millions of years. Please stop decieving people. smiley smiley
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by rotimy(m): 1:52pm On Dec 04, 2007
Catholics are Christains and they don't make noise about it. Pentecostals often attack Catholics in order to confuse weak ones among them and lurerd to their Churches! Mother Theresa of Calacuta made headlines because of her Christian CHARITY among the Hindus than a Catholic Nun. It's only in Africa that Pastors cleverly demonize other believers in other to break the body of Christ. God will judge us on the last day not on denominational benchmarks but " on what we have done"-2 cor 5:10
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by cgift(m): 3:13pm On Dec 04, 2007
rotimy:

Catholics are Christains and they don't make noise about it. Pentecostals often attack Catholics in order to confuse weak ones among them and lurerd to their Churches! Mother Theresa of Calacuta made headlines because of her Christian CHARITY among the Hindus than a Catholic Nun. It's only in Africa that Pastors cleverly demonize other believers in other to break the body of Christ. God will judge us on the last day not on denominational benchmarks but " on what we have done"-2 cor 5:10

guy!

Caths are not christians okay? They are subtly into idolatory with the worship of Mary corroboratd by their popes, the use of scapulars, signs, images,etc. Tell me how a group that circumvents the ten commandments of God and removes the second one in their canons completely could pass for a christian body? Tell me.

Tell me how a body who legitimises sin in its monastries would pass for a christian body. Tell me how a body who classes others who do not chant "Ave Maria" as infidels would pass asa chrstiain body. Tell me how a body whose doctrines places her traditions far above the word of God and openly declare that the Bible is no authority when it comes to building the doctrines of the church would pass for a christian body? Want many more questions for the test? Tell me how a body whos leadership has sold out to the devil via cults, oaths, ungodly vows, and many more, would pass for a christian church. Tell me.

They arent christians; not in the least dude!

Tell me how. I am waiting.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Carlosein(m): 1:11pm On Dec 27, 2007
cgift:

guy!

Caths are not christians okay? They are subtly into idolatory with the worship of Mary corroboratd by their popes, the use of scapulars, signs, images,etc. Tell me how a group that circumvents the ten commandments of God and removes the second one in their canons completely could pass for a christian body? Tell me.

Tell me how a body who legitimises sin in its monastries would pass for a christian body. Tell me how a body who classes others who do not chant "Ave Maria" as infidels would pass asa chrstiain body. Tell me how a body whose doctrines places her traditions far above the word of God and openly declare that the Bible is no authority when it comes to building the doctrines of the church would pass for a christian body? Want many more questions for the test? Tell me how a body whos leadership has sold out to the devil via cults, oaths, ungodly vows, and many more, would pass for a christian church. Tell me.

They arent christians; not in the least dude!

Tell me how. I am waiting.

cgift, first and foremost i want to wish you a merry christmas cool

secondly, i would like for you to stop proferring ideas that exists only in your imagination as the teachings of the Holy Roman Catholic church. i mean where did you get your above insinuations from

man, if you can find any backing for all these your (at best) wishful thinking to corroborate your false ideologies and beliefs of the catholic church, please post them on here and let the world see them.

but just for an instance, i ask you:

1. where did the catholic church teach that anyone not chanting ave maria is an infidel

2. where did you come up with the total fallacy of the bible is no authority when it comes to building the doctrines of the church
when indeed the catholic church teaches that there are two complementary authorities when it comes to christian doctrines which are: oral or sacred tradition (passed from person to person) and written tradition or sacred scripture (the bible).

see below:

II. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TRADITION AND SACRED SCRIPTURE

One common source. . .

80 "Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, then, are bound closely together, and communicate one with the other. For both of them, flowing out from the same divine well-spring, come together in some fashion to form one thing, and move towards the same goal."40 Each of them makes present and fruitful in the Church the mystery of Christ, who promised to remain with his own "always, to the close of the age".41

. . . two distinct modes of transmission

81 "Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."42

"And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound and spread it abroad by their preaching."43

82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."44

excerpt from the catechism of the catholic church (CCC): part one; section 1; ch. 2; art. 2 (relation between tradition and sacred scripture)

see link

http://scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

if you have proof otherwise kindly post them here.

once again i wish everyone merry christmas and happy new year in advance.

May the peace of the new born king reign in our hearts, homes and the world. amen.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by pilgrim1(f): 1:43pm On Dec 31, 2007
Carlosein:

1. where did the catholic church teach that anyone not chanting ave maria is an infidel

Why did the same Catholic Church kill a poor school teacher for the simple 'crime' of having said: "Praise the Lord" instead of 'Ave Maria'? undecided
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Uzzyan: 2:38pm On Dec 31, 2007
Hey pilgrim the catholic church can't kill someone
It is only the ones that don't have the right ideology that do such
Cgift pls ooooooooooooo we don't worship idols
U only honour them for having that privilege that we dont have.
Who was that said that we catholics do not make use of the New Testament?>
Anyone like that shld go to any catholic church and sit down and listen
Lest i forget pls all u pentecoastals what is the origin of ur own worship?
My dear Saint Peter was given the key and not ur pastors
The catholic church started with him.
Please i need the history of ur churches
Carlos santa clause abeg tell these people o
M God please touch the hearts of these ur children that refuse to believe in ur church the universal church.
Am heart broken 'cos of their ignorance.
If u are a catholic here and u aren't strong in ur faith pls leave now.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Carlosein(m): 6:47pm On Dec 31, 2007
pilgrim.1:

Why did the same Catholic Church kill a poor school teacher for the simple 'crime' of having said: "Praise the Lord" instead of 'Ave Maria'? undecided

pilgrim, happy new year in advance

waiting to see you tonite. (you know now!) okay you can't come i remember.

anyhow take care and have a blessed year ahead. cool
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by pilgrim1(f): 1:29am On Jan 01, 2008
Bros. . . and everyone in da house:

grin cheesy [center][size=14pt]Happy New Year![/size][/center] cheesy grin

- - - -

Carlosein:

waiting to see you tonight. (you know now!) okay you can't come i remember.

Abeg make una helep me take care of him (lawyer) O. . . I no wan hear say he stagger fall inside em. . . em. . . you know now! grin
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by olabowale(m): 2:59am On Jan 01, 2008
Cgift please ooooooooooooo we don't worship idols
You only honour them for having that privilege that we don't have.
: You tell them Protestants. You use Idols and Mary. Them Protestants use Jesus. Same darn end product, association with God. The difference is only in name.

Who was that said that we catholics do not make use of the New Testament?>
: Afterall, the Protestants copied their Bible from you. They only eliminated few Books, because of what, no one knows. Th Catholic has the original Christianity, the protestant mold it to something else, courtesy of King James, who wanted to get devorce and was refused.

Anyone like that shld go to any catholic church and sit down and listen
: They would not do that. They are Protestants, protesting the Catholics.

Lest i forget please all u pentecoastals what is the origin of your own worship?
: Tell em. They don't know.

My dear Saint Peter was given the key and not your pastors
The catholic church started with him.
: While the Protestant was started with Martin Luther and King James.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by focused(m): 3:54am On Jan 01, 2008
@Olabowale :

What do you know about Catholics and Protestants?

Is there no differences between Shia, Wahabism and Sunni Muslims ? Which has lead to serious war between the so called Shia and Sunni muslims in the past and presently in a place like Iraq and even in Nigeria? Recently a Shia Muslim was deported and labelled an Infidel in Saudi Arabia, just because he was a shia muslim.

There is a even a problem between the so called Shia and Sunni Muslims in Nigeria, which has lead to one sect attacking the other.

I cannot make any sense about what you have just said about Catholics and Protestant.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by focused(m): 4:02am On Jan 01, 2008
@Poster :

Catholics are Christians.

The worship of Mary is not biblical and hence accepted in Christianity.

The catholics have always said that they only honour Mary.

Most people argue that they have a lot of images of Mary and they do a lot of things which is not biblical, such as sign of the cross, reciting rosary (just the way muslims recite the tesbil), confessing to the reverend father or going to confess to the reverend father, they hardly engage in evangelism (Apart from the Charismatic movement), and host of other things.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by pilgrim1(f): 4:59am On Jan 01, 2008
Lol. . . while the New year celebrations are still going on, let me quickly school up some guys here on their nightmares! grin

olabowale:

: You tell them Protestants. You use Idols and Mary. Them Protestants use Jesus.

Lol. . . and what do Muslims use - Muhammad and the BLACK STONE that they bow down to and pretend it fell from heaven for Adam and Abraham to build the Kaa'ba with? grin

Where did 'Allah' command Muhammad to venerate the BLACK STONE, when his own companion clearly said that the idolatry was merely a show off to pagans? cheesy

olabowale:

Same darn end product, association with God. The difference is only in name.

Yep, Islam associates Muhammad with 'Allah' - the difference is in your game!

Ask and I will REMIND you of the FACT that Muhammad associated himself with 'Allah' in many instances. He even went so far as to place himself above the commandments of 'Allah'. No pun intended - just come and rascally DENY the facts, and pilgrim.1 will bless your New Year with hard facts from your Qur'an and Hadiths! Trust me! grin

olabowale:

: Afterall, the Protestants copied their Bible from you. They only eliminated few Books, because of what, no one knows.

Are you still looking for your lost nose-ring? grin I asked you to simply give me the names of the 24,000 prophets and keep the remaining 100,000 out of a total of 124,000 prophets in Islam! Have you even attempted that assignment at all? And how come with all your noise, we do not find ANY book of those prophets to read in the Qur'an other than Muhammad's tales?

olabowale:

Th Catholic has the original Christianity, the protestant mold it to something else, courtesy of King James, who wanted to get devorce and was refused.

Lol. . . so the "original" Christianity that the Catholics had was the confirmation of the fact that Muhamamd derived his ideas about MARY being worshipped from them and pretended he was receiving revelations from 'Allah', abi? Hahahaha-hehehe!! grin I am very sorry for you. Please rest your heart and understand that Muhammad closed his eyes to FACTS and told a tale that had no bearing in the Bible. You may accuse from now till Jannah that the Bible is corrupt and all that; no worries. The one thing I ask is that you find me where ANY Christian WORSHIPPED Mary in the Bible!

olabowale:

: They would not do that. They are Protestants, protesting the Catholics.

That's true - Protestants do not worship MARY; and Muhammad's claim that "original" Christianity did so is a false claim. cool

olabowale:

Tell em. They don't know.

The claim that we do not know is what we are asking Muslims to reveal to us. WHERE did Muhammad get his false assertions from about MARY-worship in "original" Christianity?

olabowale:

While the Protestant was started with Martin Luther and King James.

No worries - at least those same men did NOT worship MARY, just as no Christian in the Bible ever did so! grin

HAPPY NEW YEAR again O!
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by pilgrim1(f): 5:02am On Jan 01, 2008
focused:

@Olabowale :

What do you know about Catholics and Protestants?

Is there no differences between Shia, Wahabism and Sunni Muslims ? Which has lead to serious war between the so called Shia and Sunni muslims in the past and presently in a place like Iraq and even in Nigeria? Recently a Shia Muslim was deported and labelled an Infidel in Saudi Arabia, just because he was a shia muslim.

There is a even a problem between the so called Shia and Sunni Muslims in Nigeria, which has lead to one sect attacking the other.

He often forgets the reality on the ground. That is why you need to cure his malady with a few reminders as well. grin

focused:

I cannot make any sense about what you have just said about Catholics and Protestant.

You will not be able to make any sense from his bloviates. He writes with a default mindset of not making any sense these days! cheesy
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Carlosein(m): 7:54pm On Jan 04, 2008
pillaw how u dey? grin

madam bloviates grin
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by oghos2k(m): 10:42pm On Jan 04, 2008
The catholics are not anything close to christians. They dont follow christ but instead, they follow some men they call saints. Too bad
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Nobody: 2:40am On Jan 05, 2008
who started christianity? ?

who compiled the Bible for it's use in christianity? ?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:30am On Jan 05, 2008
@ Khai Khai

Who started christianity?

Jesus Christ. There was no RCC in the 1st century.

Who compiled the bible for its use in christianity?

Most of the compilation was done by Catholic scholars because they were apart of a system that had control. So although the system was inherently currupt, it doesn't mean that good and sincere catholic scholars could not have been used by God to some how preserve Holy Writ. That we can agree on.

Yes the RCC is noted for some its great contributions to christianity, but it has apostasised from the truth over time as predicted by Paul in his letter to the christians of Thessalonica. Paul spoke of the falling away that would manifest before Christ's second advent. He spoke of the man of sin that would sit in the temple of God usurping God's authority.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:34am On Jan 05, 2008
@ Khai Khai

Who started christianity?

Jesus Christ. There was no RCC in the 1st century.

Who compiled the bible for its use in christianity?

Most of the compilation was done by Catholic scholars because they were apart of a system that had control. So although the system was inherently currupt, it doesn't mean that good and sincere catholic scholars could not have been used by God to some how preserve Holy Writ. That we can agree on.

Yes the RCC is noted for some its great contributions to christianity, but it has apostasised from the truth over time as predicted by Paul in his letter to the christians of Thessalonica. Paul spoke of the falling away that would manifest before Christ's second advent. He spoke of the man of sin that would sit in the temple of God usurping God's authority.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by pilgrim1(f): 9:02am On Jan 05, 2008
@khai_khai,

khai_khai:

who started christianity? ?

who compiled the Bible for it's use in christianity? ?

Actually, these questions have been roundly debated and soundly laid to rest in other Catholic threads. The point at the end of the day is that Catholicism/Catholics did not start Christianity.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by pilgrim1(f): 9:03am On Jan 05, 2008
@oghos2k,

oghos2k:

The catholics are not anything close to christians. They don't follow christ but instead, they follow some men they call saints. Too bad

Lol. . . initially, I had wanted to not make comments or vehemently debate Catholics the first quarter of this year. But please allow me just this while.

We may not categorically say that Catholics are 'not anything close to Christians' - that would be an overstatement. There are many Catholics who do not tend to follow the doctrines espoused by the Vatican (and some of them I personally know and in contact by email have been such a challenge to my faith as a Christian - we should be thankful for that!).

On the other hand, there are tomes of evidence in Catholic archives that demonstrate clearly the FACT that Catholicism is predicated on MARIOLATRY (the worship of MARY), and not merely on the worship of 'saints'. In worse case scenarios, a few of the Popes have openly stated that Catholicism their worship is towards MARY much more than about Christ. But we cannot use the heresies of those few Popes as standard arguments for all Catholics today - since we know (or speaking for myself, I know) that a majority of Catholics who are aware of these things do NOT espouse such doctrines - even though they do not deny the FACT that those popes actually stated such!

Cheers.
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by pilgrim1(f): 9:03am On Jan 05, 2008
@Carlosein,

Carlosein:

pillaw how u dey? grin

I just dey o jare. . . cheesy How bodi?

Carlosein:

madam bloviates grin

Lol. . I wonder how many people don call me that name so tey I don lose count sef! cheesy Anyway, Happy New Year to you (incase I haven't sent you one already)!
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by dimpules: 9:35am On Jan 05, 2008
christians,

dont you know the scripture that says we battle not against flesh and blood? please no condemning catholics. if you believe what they do is wrong use your spiritual weapons to fight it. prayer, fasting, the word. you can never convince a catholic to change on this forum by all this talk and also i can read some muslims saying they will never be christians.

ask yourselves one question, What will Jesus do?
Re: Are Catholics Really Christians? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 05, 2008
Jesus Christ never mentioned Christianity.
neither did he mention the bible.
And it is compulsory for all christians to believe in the Bible.
Christianity is a way to put some order and organization into being "Christ-like".

If you are a true christian, there is nothing to bash about catholicism
Christianity started with the Catholics
Suppose christianity is a fraud, then early "Catholic scholars" are the architects of that fraud.
And all you Catholic bashers might just be partaking in something completely false.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

MFM G.O ,dr DK Olukoya And His Wife Celebrate Their Birthday Today / My Testimony, My Survival (Graphic Images) / Apostle Paul's Brutal Message To Galatian Christians On The Gospel Of Grace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.