Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,924 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me (28394 Views)

Should I resign or continue? / Can I Resign In The Bank And Concentrate With The POS Business / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 14, 2020
olasubomy:
Good afternoon Bigtimemugu - These are my few cents if you have not yet made a decision yet. It appears your present job takes a lot of your time but you would need to be very honest with yourself about your dissatisfaction on a particular job. You stated you have been promoted from one position to another which is a very good one which will look good on your C.V and will show you are a very competent staff to be saddled with higher responsibilities. Please don't always base the decision on money. The money will come eventually. Focus on your career growth and development. A prospective employer will respect you when they see you have been having a steady rise in your current employment which is a good pedestal to negotiate your desired salary. Don't be in a hurry to change job at just any opportunity that comes your way especially if you have not convinced yourself to take the offer but target an employer that will help your career growth trajectory. Exercise a little patience. It will pay-off.

Sir, employers don’t care about change in positions on a particular company...they care about what and what companies have you worked for?, the more companies the more experience and bargaining power..

Sir please take the new job...working there for 4 months is equal to working for your previous company for one year

You are married and with children, be steadfast, take the new job, the only way is up.

If you remain in yo former place, the pay is poor and trust me you will be stagnant too like the people you met there.

You really don’t want to look back 5-10 years from now so broke and ask what you did with your life, mind you your bills will also keep increasing weda you are faithful to your former working place or not, if they don’t see your value them please leave.

P.s, it’s all about there money, you already have good experience
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Alennsar(f): 6:08pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Is just the salary no attachment except that u might been given a house rent loan without interest, nothing more, there are people I meet there that have spent 6yrs some 8 -10 years ,their life has been stagnant no reasonable or remarkable progress, I have seen all of that ,I have equally seen some who resign to other places and later come back begging for reemployment, I will not like any thing that will make me leave and come back to them agian or stay jobless and watch my kids hungry and out of school.the new place I can grow it up as a production manager,raise an active team that will make things happen but what if the owner lost patient and decided to shutdown,

I dont know why your story interests me but i think you should pray about it first, have faith and work with so much courage believing that good things don't come easily. I would've share my husband story with you but because he was once in a similar situation but No.
I wish you all the best.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Olafisoyem: 6:10pm On Jun 14, 2020
No risk no reward
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Sheggy13(m): 6:11pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
I should use my brain, how do u mean sir, I have been thinking for two days now,
I believe you are a religious person and understands the place of spiritual consultation and prayer in cases like this.. If you're not a religious person, my apologies please for giving you such suggestions.. It's well.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Baba you have a phobia for failure and it is normal u do
When I left my previous job to the current one am in now, many thought kept coming to my mind
1. What if I don't like the environment?
2. How do I cope with a strict and bossy boss?
3. What if I don't like it in my new place?
4. What If my new colleagues don't like me or I don't like them?
5. What if! What if?? What if??.?

Fvck what if. I took the decision move to my new, and that the best decision I have taken.
I have my Saturday and Sunday to my self, I go on leave 30 days every year, and promotion is fast unlike my previous place where I have to go to work on Saturday and you can't even go on a 2 days casual leave.

You better leave that place before the offer slips outa ya hand, dem no bury ya placenta there
Cheers cool

Look at the condition of the new job he is considering, is it the same as your new job? Is it in an isolated place, is it a startup? Can a business in an isolated place truly afford to pay 150k consistently? Let's not jump to advise people with "our stories of success", look at their narrative too.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by flexyrule(m): 6:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
Kobicove:

The guy in question has a wife and kids who depend on him.

If her were a single guy then this your advise would be suitable
He married on a 35k salary

Toh, OP please ignore my advice ooooo.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 14, 2020
Joefat:
If I should put myself in your shoe.. I'll leave the previous job and suit up with the newly duty, from 50k to 150, that's alot of money and for u to be working round oclock with 50k and I believe u will definitely find a space to have some savings out of it.. so why don't u leave that previous job and move with the new one. If u can survive with 50k in a month. I believe u can save up to 100k in a month with the new job. Pop. then u can think of what do with your savings if evetually the newly job close down as u predict

See how you're typing with confidence that they'll pay him the 150k at the end of the month. Is it not after he works for 30 days he will know if they were sincere or just tried to bait him.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Vulcan24(m): 6:17pm On Jun 14, 2020
tight fix, I understand what you mean by job stability and security.

But tomorrow belongs to no man except God, be positive and move to a bigger pay

a bad rigorous job with little pay is like a cancer.

take the new job and be spending smart

God go with you
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by IamHonourable1: 6:19pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
I should use my brain, how do u mean sir, I have been thinking for two days now,

If you can't use your brain to come to conclusion,how do you expect to use another's brain to make a decision?
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by gbagyiza: 6:24pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Gudnoon Nairalanders, I have been working for a company for 35k per month for 12 months no increment. I have been promoted from one position to another without a payrise.

Late may this year my salary was increased to 50k with a whole lots of task, I work Monday to Sunday, 7.am to 7pm some times down to 9pm.

1st week of June a similar company based on recommendations invited me for an interview, they offer to pay me 120k, which I insisted on 150k, finally they agree to pay but when we went to the business place, it is a little beginning business that I have to grow from the scratch in an isolated area. I began to reason if I opt out of my present job and venture into this, how long will this payment last, if the business folds up, where will I start from?

In my present job it might take another 12 months before another increment but I can work there as long as I may wish to work cos it has job security.

Please advice me am confused and I have family with kids.

Based on my experience I advise that you continue with your present job n forget about this new one. I repeat don't work in a newly establishment that don't have future unless if you r jobless. A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by doggedfighter(f): 6:27pm On Jun 14, 2020
ofakaga:
That is why we must learn to hear from God sir.
I will advice you to seek the face of God sir.
God is the answer to a question like this sir.
Rubbish, you can't even use your brain
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nicklaus619(m): 6:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nooil:

Look at the condition of the new job he is considering, is it the same as your new job? Is it in an isolated place, is it a startup? Can a business in an isolated place truly afford to pay 150k consistently? Let's not jump to advise people with "our stories of success", look at their narrative too.

Complacent syndrome bro

Even if the new place ain't visible, staying in one place without taking risk is the biggest risk towards achieving success in life

Any work that requires your time 7 days in a week with a 35k salary as op has said ain't no longer a work but slavery. Think about that.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 14, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Complacent syndrome bro

Even if the new place ain't visible, staying in one place without taking risk is the biggest risk towards achieving success in life

Any work that requires your time 7 days in a week with a 35k salary as op has said ain't no longer a work but slavery. Think about that.

Of course he should keep looking for a better place, but definitely not the one in an isolated place.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by peculiar2021(m): 6:45pm On Jun 14, 2020
Hey bro think about it
The small business will surely grow into a bigger one if you input the energy you put on the 50k job.

Good luck with whatsoever you decide to do
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Elevation(m): 6:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
Seek the face of GOD, you need staying power remember you wrote about some people coming back to beg for re-employment? you need the power of wealth, wealth is a spirit that manifests raw cash in the physical, you also need the favour of GOD to end your struggles. OP call on GOD'S name your family needs a capable father and only the Father of spirits can do it.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by peculiar2021(m): 6:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
Moreover Go to God in prayers..... table the offer to him and wait for answers before taking any step so as not to cause you regrets at the end of the day
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by osinimegaciousi: 6:51pm On Jun 14, 2020
My brother life is full of risks, what gave you assurance that this your present job is secured? Biko take the new job, it will give you first hand opportunity to grow and develop your skills thus building you for a better deal.. stay positive!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Broadmind: 6:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
Move without thinking. If you're still single or young, this is an opportunity to learn and explore. You can't get it all in life. Life is all about risks. People are only interested in your result. As you right sighted, people you meet are nothing but a waste. You can decide to be like them on test the ladder. You will surely miss you steps and fall along the way, but you will know your path better and early in life. Good luck
bigtimemugu:
Gudnoon Nairalanders, I have been working for a company for 35k per month for 12 months no increment. I have been promoted from one position to another without a payrise.

Late may this year my salary was increased to 50k with a whole lots of task, I work Monday to Sunday, 7.am to 7pm some times down to 9pm.

1st week of June a similar company based on recommendations invited me for an interview, they offer to pay me 120k, which I insisted on 150k, finally they agree to pay but when we went to the business place, it is a little beginning business that I have to grow from the scratch in an isolated area. I began to reason if I opt out of my present job and venture into this, how long will this payment last, if the business folds up, where will I start from?

In my present job it might take another 12 months before another increment but I can work there as long as I may wish to work cos it has job security.

Please advice me am confused and I have family with kids.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Yoighaman(m): 7:00pm On Jun 14, 2020
@OP: Did you just say Monday to Sunday, 7am to 7pm?....for a job of N50k.

That's slavery mehn....get the F out of that place.

You will make more money even if it's gala and cold drinks you sell.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by ojoj(m): 7:00pm On Jun 14, 2020
Op, not taking risk is the GREATEST RISK! Pls take the risk. If you are successful...good, if not....good. pls take the risk and put God in the decision. It is well!
CsRockefeller:
A biz coming up is even the best place to work as a young man because you have the opportunity to try out many things and gain experience in different departments.

Do you know what it means to say that you were a pioneer manager of a biz? That dwarfs any experience.

I don't know about you but I love to the at the war front not hiding cowardly at the back. This is a new experience, with a better pay grab it!!

If it doesn't end well, like every soldier, you live to fight another day.

What is fear of the unknown? Do you think the Russians knew what was in space when they launched or you think Neil Armstrong knew what lay beyond the sky before he set his foot on the moon?

No guts, no glory.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by bigtimemugu(m): 7:04pm On Jun 14, 2020
honestly i appreciate your advice's. learning from peoples mistake is wisdom, to be frank am tire of my present job but seeing or knowing the future of the new job would be the safest step, it takes my present job 12 month to add 15k as an increment, nothing to save in 35k with 3kids and a wife . may be in the next 12months I won't be getting anything more than more tasks. I wish I could leave, BT my kids are too small, 6,4,2 . I wish I stop being a slave. the prediction of what will happen on the new job is not clear, the economy is very hash and getting jobs are Neva easy, I wish I did not have anything to regret while I decide. nevertheless your contributions here has given me reasons to decide, if I were to decide for my self alone I may have not come here for advice but am deciding in favour of ple DAT can not decide, thanks to u all ,more advice and prayers are welcome.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Sashafm(f): 7:07pm On Jun 14, 2020
dingbang:
If isrealites remained in egypt, they would have been slaves till thy kingdom come. But God gave them sense and they left their comfort zones and went through the wilderness and got to the promise land..

Op, use your brain.

You are too wise.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by lekonso: 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2020
Na wa o, you are always thinking of pay rise, pay rise, pay rise. You love money too much. Everything is not money. You are not even thinking of the knowledge you are gathering on the job that can pay you millions in future. You don't reap everything you sow in one day. You have already to this present job, if there is future here, stay there. In life you have to sow before you reap. You said there is job security there, that is fine. You don't want to sweat before the money rolls in, that is not life o.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Igyeseh(m): 7:40pm On Jun 14, 2020
J111333:
Accept the new job and give it your whole best, it will succeed.

Sometimes we don't succeed just because we don't try.
Good evening Sir.
I have sent you a mail, pls check your mail box.
Thank you.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Gentlec198(m): 7:41pm On Jun 14, 2020
Enskynelson:

Life is full of risks. Prepare and take the risks. If actually you have been surviving with 35K, 35k jobs are not so difficult to find. I advice you take the new job paying 150k. Spend only 50k if possible (since you have been surviving with 35k - 50k). Save up 80k every month. In a short while, you would have saved up money that can help u start some biz, buy a job or keep u till you finf another in the event of the company folding. Pray about it and commit it into God's hand as well. Life is full of risk and not taking risk is even another risk on its own.
So, bottomline, go for the new job, save from the first month and be prepared for any eventuality.

that's a good idea brother, everything in life is all about taking the bull by the horn,when the opportunity present itself, so make use of it now
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by skedy1(m): 8:02pm On Jun 14, 2020
dingbang:
If isrealites remained in egypt, they would have been slaves till thy kingdom come. But God gave them sense and they left their comfort zones and went through the wilderness and got to the promise land..

Op, use your brain.
Oil the your head my man
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by HoliMaree: 8:07pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Thanks so much , I reason towards that direction too, but fear of unknown, unknown fobia they catch me

Stay where you are until this whole pandemic issue ends. This is not the time for trial and error. Most small companies will not survive the impact of covid 19 except those in food and health sectors
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by uchrikk(m): 8:21pm On Jun 14, 2020
bigtimemugu:
Is just the salary no attachment except that u might been given a house rent loan without interest, nothing more, there are people I meet there that have spent 6yrs some 8 -10 years ,their life has been stagnant no reasonable or remarkable progress, I have seen all of that ,I have equally seen some who resign to other places and later come back begging for reemployment, I will not like any thing that will make me leave and come back to them agian or stay jobless and watch my kids hungry and out of school.the new place I can grow it up as a production manager,raise an active team that will make things happen but what if the owner lost patient and decided to shutdown,

OP, you answered yourself here. Your soul is telling you not to settle for the present job; and at the same time, it is telling you not to move to the new job for obvious reasons. So, stay in the present job and look for another opportunity that might guarantee a better peace of mind.
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 14, 2020
you can tell you boss that you are going to your village for like a year because of some family issue,that way if thing do not go well with your new work you can go back

Note this will work depending on mature of your job and value your boss place on your
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by Timblaze(m): 8:28pm On Jun 14, 2020
Enskynelson:

Life is full of risks. Prepare and take the risks. If actually you have been surviving with 35K, 35k jobs are not so difficult to find. I advice you take the new job paying 150k. Spend only 50k if possible (since you have been surviving with 35k - 50k). Save up 80k every month. In a short while, you would have saved up money that can help u start some biz, buy a job or keep u till you finf another in the event of the company folding. Pray about it and commit it into God's hand as well. Life is full of risk and not taking risk is even another risk on its own.
So, bottomline, go for the new job, save from the first month and be prepared for any eventuality.
Thanks
Re: Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me by dingbang(m): 8:31pm On Jun 14, 2020
Sashafm:

You are too wise.
thank you wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Globacom Staff Resignation Mail / Promoted Senior Nigerian Air Force Officers (Full List) / Unpaid Daar Communication Workers Halt Operations(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.