Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data - Phones (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data (69221 Views)

For Those Using MTN / New Setting For HTTP Injector To Power All Apps Using MTN Mpulse Data / Its Time To Stop Using Mtn For Browsing.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by nurain150(m): 11:20pm On Jun 17, 2020
GeoAfrikana:
I'm so angry right now. As you can see, I'm creating this post in the middle of the night.

There are many negative things people say about MTN. Sincerely, I've always given them an open mind but tonight I discovered something very terrible about them

Summary:
When you subscribe for night data, MTN doesn't only deduct from your night data balance, they also deduct from your main balance.

Explanation
For long I've been using the MTN pulse plan. I buy 1.5gig weekly. But because I usually need to download tutorials from YouTube I support my data with their 500mb midnight plan.

I've always noticed that my 1.5gig doesn't last long. Within five days (sometimes three days) my data would have finished.

I spend a lot of time online but there's no way my daily usage can reach 400mb. Most of my time online is on WhatsApp, searching google for information and staying up to data with industry gists on Twitter.

This night I subscribed to the MTN night plan, then used their app to check my balance before browsing. If you use the mtn night data regularly then you know there's no way to check your balance with USSD.

Luckily for me, the MTN app shows the night balance. So I was able to monitor both my main data balance and the midnight balance.

Guess what I found?
MTN was deducting from both accounts simultaneously.
No wonder, this is the snake that has been stealing eggs from my poultry.
I was so angry that I wanted to remove the SIM but I decided to collect evidence before removing their SIM.

Below are two screenshots. I took the first before downloading a video from YouTube. The video is 48mb.

Then I took the second screenshot after the download had completed.

As you can see, MTN didn't even touch my night data again. They deducted virtually everything from my main balance.

This is so painful. I feel cheated.
That what dey did to me.hope it not winback data.bc they say they will deduct it first before night bundle...

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by sacajawea: 11:53pm On Jun 17, 2020
Khayceeofficial:

*312# and you migrate to the plan requested
You can purchase 250mb for #25 and it can be done up to 5times for one night

It expires by 5a.m

If you'd ask me,it's a much better deal than MTN
5 times?
When did they start that?
It was not.like that b4
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by kayodez: 12:28am On Jun 18, 2020
no be only MTN dey do like this.... likewise Airtel too... infact I had to install a data monitoring app to confirm the data cap ...

but it's always cheating.

Nothing we fit do guy.. just take heart
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by COOL10(m): 12:39am On Jun 18, 2020
Olamyyde:
Mtn is a disgrace. What you are complaining of has been happening for over a year. I stopped using my main mtn data sim for midnight plan because of this.

It's a very useless network . The worst part is the 500mb midnight plan is actually 420mb. After you use 360mb, mtn will automatically disconnect your network and throttle the speed. So you will have to connect and disconnect to use the remaining 60mb.

I thought I was the only one experiencing this. And the idiots said it has to do with my location.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Mizpie30: 12:55am On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:
I'm so angry right now. As you can see, I'm creating this post in the middle of the night.

There are many negative things people say about MTN. Sincerely, I've always given them an open mind but tonight I discovered something very terrible about them

Summary:
When you subscribe for night data, MTN doesn't only deduct from your night data balance, they also deduct from your main balance.

Explanation
For long I've been using the MTN pulse plan. I buy 1.5gig weekly. But because I usually need to download tutorials from YouTube I support my data with their 500mb midnight plan.

I've always noticed that my 1.5gig doesn't last long. Within five days (sometimes three days) my data would have finished.

I spend a lot of time online but there's no way my daily usage can reach 400mb. Most of my time online is on WhatsApp, searching google for information and staying up to data with industry gists on Twitter.

This night I subscribed to the MTN night plan, then used their app to check my balance before browsing. If you use the mtn night data regularly then you know there's no way to check your balance with USSD.

Luckily for me, the MTN app shows the night balance. So I was able to monitor both my main data balance and the midnight balance.

Guess what I found?
I was so angry that I wanted to remove the SIM but I decided to collect evidence before removing their SIM.

Below are two screenshots. I took the first before downloading a video from YouTube. The video is 48mb.

As you can see, MTN didn't even touch my night data again. They deducted virtually everything from my main balance.

This happens to me, but in a slightly different manner
I bought the 500mb midnight bundle to download a 300mb movie
The 500mb finsihed before the 300mb file completed its download
And I'm here wondering how that's possible

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by stanvesco(m): 12:59am On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Summary:

Explanation

Guess what I found?

My brother,
Just follow my steps and dump MTN....

I was using MTN 1500naira data like very week before and I dare not do any other thing except WhatsApp...
I once did MTN 3500 for 20gb my bro,and I KID YOU NOT,(I could barely open fiverr.com) so I was only on WhatsApp and 10gb was wiped from it...

Longstory short!
I stumbled on an ETISALAT DATA SIM,and I subscribe for 7gb weekly for 1500naira
*229*2*2#

And the data rolls over.......
Try and get an ETISALAT sim please...
Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by stanvesco(m): 1:26am On Jun 18, 2020
photon3106:

MTN can be many things but this isn't one of them. I think the issue has to do with their system. Perhaps, some sort of system glitch.

I used to experience this too with my 1.5Gb monthly plan until I discovered where the problem was.

When your data connection is on and you went ahead to activate the Night plan, most times the night plan isn't active (swithed as the default plan).

All you need do is: after a successful activation of the night plan, disconeect your data and restart your phone. In the case when restart isn't desirable, a toggle on the Airplane mode will do. Wait for about 1 minute before turning on data. That's all.

This fixed it for me.

As if you are working with MTN ABI?
Don't let us use u to mop Nairaland floor oh.....respect yourself!

Do you even use MTN? I know the shege MTN showed me until I recently swapped to Etisalat...

Twice I have swapped; first to GLo and after I relocated and Glo was poor in my new area,I suffered again with MTN until I stumbled on Etisalat again....

With glo and Etisalat I had freedom of browsing,no fears, no checking data and I must say A BETTER SPEED....
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by photon3106: 2:44am On Jun 18, 2020
stanvesco:

As if you are working with MTN ABI?
Don't let us use u to mop Nairaland floor oh.....respect yourself!

Do you even use MTN? I know the shege MTN showed me until I recently swapped to Etisalat...

Twice I have swapped; first to GLo and after I relocated and Glo was poor in my new area,I suffered again with MTN until I stumbled on Etisalat again....

With glo and Etisalat I had freedom of browsing,no fears, no checking data and I must say A BETTER SPEED....

I'll just pretend I didn't read that first paragraph of yours.

I wasn't defending MTN in anyway. Well, it is alright if you can't read and comprehend what I typed earlier. My input was more of a helping guide than baseless argument of whether MTN is good or bad.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by dangoteinlaw: 3:20am On Jun 18, 2020
Obi1kenobi:
I think many people complaining make a simple mistake: when activating the night plan after midnight, always ensure you put your phone in flight mode and put it back on (or restart the phone, which is more inconvenient). This ensures you reset the network to utilize your night plan. I never encounter this problem with my night plan.
lies!!! Just now now it just happened to me infact they didn’t deduct from the night plan instead they took it right off the main sub band I’m so distraughted right now
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by JBRichard(m): 5:05am On Jun 18, 2020
You should've finished your data (main) first. You might be surprised at the data Google Services consume without you knowing. That's how I solved my problem. Maybe you'll ginf yours too. Have a nice day!

GeoAfrikana:

Firstly, I don't think this excuse is valid. And that's for four reasons;

- MTN isn't the only network provider offering midnight data. So why are they the only ones people are complaining about.

- They're a tech company. It's standard procedure to always test a system before deploying. I'm sure they won't take it easy with any consultant that gives them such excuse.

- I'm quite sure that this isn't the first time anyone is complaining about this particular issue. Why haven't they resolved it? They're enjoying their loot.

- they're supposed to include in every message before subscription that you must reset your network else you risk losing your main data.

As for the background data. I don't think that's valid also. 500mb is very small. I didn't spend 1hour using the 500mb. What kind of background app consumes up to 100mb in one hour. Note that my normal data was on till midnight so it's not that my apps had been data-starved.

Thanks for your reply.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Totosweetdie(f): 5:39am On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Summary:

Explanation

Guess what I found?

Airtel is worst. Imagine doing 3.5gb that's meant to last for 1month twice in the space of 6days.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by seunlayi(m): 6:38am On Jun 18, 2020
sacajawea:

5 times?
When did they start that?
It was not.like that b4
this started about 2 weeks ago
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by VIPERVENOM(m): 7:15am On Jun 18, 2020
onyechez:

Mtn isn't a terrible network, it is only in Nigeria they allow such things to happen. See how much for mtn data plan in Ghana.
the same data plan are way more expensive in other countries. It's irrelevant. And btw we know Ghanaian currency is redominated.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by donhils: 7:17am On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

No, I'm on MTN Pulse. The midnight data plan is only available on MTN Pulse.

I lost almost not less than 300mb data.

The way they deduct the data is ambiguous. From my calculations, all what I've downloaded isn't more than 400mb; just 6 videos that are an average of 40mb. Then I updated three apps from playstore; 9mb, 12mb and 22mb.

But look, I have just 500mb left. This is freaking crazy.
I think it's your fault. When you subscribe to MTN night data plan, first all switch off your data or put your phone in flight mode for like 30 secs, then switch back on and use ur night plan jeje. U don't necessarily need to switch off your phone. It happens on Glo night plan too
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by ruffhandu: 8:08am On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Long stopped using all these night plans seeing that they cause one too much pain. I only stay awake when it's absolutely necessary.

There are cheap plans (N200 for 1GB (all networks)) that can be used during the day. Exploit them. They are legit.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by etzmztagenius: 8:22am On Jun 18, 2020
Olamyyde:
Mtn is a disgrace. What you are complaining of has been happening for over a year. I stopped using my main mtn data sim for midnight plan because of this.

It's a very useless network . The worst part is the 500mb midnight plan is actually 420mb. After you use 360mb, mtn will automatically disconnect your network and throttle the speed. So you will have to connect and disconnect to use the remaining 60mb.

Same here too
You can't use the complete 500mb
But mine varies from 473-480mb
Ported to airtel though
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 18, 2020
VIPERVENOM:
the same data plan are way more expensive in other countries. It's irrelevant. And btw we know Ghanaian currency is redominated.
Hahaha, I guess 0.10 pesewa for 285 mb for night plan, (a coin which is the least currency in their country) is expensive, you get more cedis when you exchange with the naira but get less naira when you exchange when the cedis. their data does not expire, they pay more tax in Ghana than Nigeria, you can Google the tax revenues to gdp ratio in African countries and you will see Nigeria isn't (1-20th countries on the list)
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by yommyk222(m): 8:45am On Jun 18, 2020
whemmytopsy:
MTN is a very terrible network provider, I was angry the night this same shit Happened to me and even more angry when the customer care representative had to hang the call on me... I felt embarrassed, it was obvious they did it intentionally... MTN is devilish, now my AIRTEL sim does the midnight work, I'm cool.

But come to think of what they take us for, They were so sure that nobody is gonna protect the right of we consumers and so they can do and undo... I'm sure they dare not try that in saner climes.... Being a Nigerian is not cool at all... If saying that is a sin, May God forgive me.

If you have Glo 4g coverage in your area just go for it, that is what I use #100 for 1gb and it can be active upto 5days before it expires. Only do it if you have 4g enable device. If not you Don dash them money be that
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by showafrica(m): 8:59am On Jun 18, 2020
seanwilliam:
if you mistakenly connect your phone( with mtn sub) with pc using wifi , ur own don be..naso 3 gig go remain 750

Lol, check ur network settings, limit Microsoft data usage to 10mb. Na windows dey chop ur data however MTN na thief.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Murketeer: 9:59am On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

The way they deduct the data is ambiguous. From my calculations, all what I've downloaded isn't more than 400mb; just 6 videos that are an average of 40mb. Then I updated three apps from playstore; 9mb, 12mb and 22mb.

My own self ...They don't even allow me finish the Night MB....It gets to a point when It will just totally stop downloading ...It's very annoying...Abeg port to airtel ...you can even do as much as 1 Gig ....and airtel data lasts and the speed is fast ...especially if ur phone is 4G enabled

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by GeoAfrikana(m): 11:32am On Jun 18, 2020
ruffhandu:

Long stopped using all these night plans seeing that they cause one too much pain. I only stay awake when it's absolutely necessary.

There are cheap plans (N200 for 1GB (all networks)) that can be used during the day. Exploit them. They are legit.

Please what's the code for MTN and Airtel?
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Pekun210(m): 1:37pm On Jun 18, 2020
You can actually check with ussd code
*406#
And you'll see night bundles
After which you'll see balance

I still used it overnight
There are some issues Associated with it, if you have less than 100mb then it might not even browse again
Mtn na scam
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Infinixs5: 2:32pm On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Summary:

Explanation

Guess what I found?

the mtn night plan na scam. 3 videos and dem go warn u say u don spend 432mb

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by Justarandomguy: 7:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

This is not new! I also noticed it. MTN suck data like mad, I did the test too.
Even 9mobile are the same.
Just move to airtel I never regret doing that. I just MTN for calling. And airtel for data
I .
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by sacajawea: 3:14am On Jun 19, 2020
seunlayi:
this started about 2 weeks ago
Does it expire in one night or rollls over for days like glo
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by seunlayi(m): 4:22am On Jun 19, 2020
sacajawea:

Does it expire in one night or rollls over for days like glo
no just a night
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by sacajawea: 4:26am On Jun 19, 2020
seunlayi:
no just a night
You are browsing right now eh cheesy
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by seunlayi(m): 4:30am On Jun 19, 2020
sacajawea:

You are browsing right now eh cheesy
no, inm I am singing grin
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by sacajawea: 4:54am On Jun 19, 2020
seunlayi:
no, inm I am singing grin
Oya Sing away then
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by ruffhandu: 12:17pm On Jun 19, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Please what's the code for MTN and Airtel?
Mtn= *131*65#
Airtel=*141*241#

Lemme know if you succeeded.
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:48pm On Jun 19, 2020
hannahanna:
this must have been so annoying . pls drop your number and network i will send you data geoAfriKana

Please who are you?
Re: Why You Should Stop Using MTN Midnight Data by JideSM: 10:07am On Jun 20, 2020
GeoAfrikana:

Hi GeoAfrikana, I actually would like to have your phone number so that I can check on the night plan bundle issue. You can PM me your phone number. Trust me, your details are safe.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Airtel Free Call Codes [100minutes Free] / Two Ways To Know An Original SD Card / Memory Card / Blackberry Phones Are Coming Back In 2021, With 5G And Physical Keyboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.