Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,545 members, 7,819,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

What Is Happening To My Decking? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Happening To My Decking? (55737 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? / Estimated Cost Of Decking My House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Chrisus(m): 6:39am On Jun 19, 2020
Y’all pleaseeee leave the comments to the civil engineers
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by illicit(m): 6:40am On Jun 19, 2020
Onyi22:
H
H for Help
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by jogsman01(m): 6:40am On Jun 19, 2020
akokaite:

Here is likely problem you re facing.

"two brand new water tanks are sitting untop"

Did you waterproof the floor with adequate waterproofing material?

Is the floor well supervised during applications of waterproof material?

If NO, your slab has failed!

For more info email: forecastpartner@gmail.com

Thnks
is there a provision for concentrated load in the structural design? I think that should be the question. Those bricklayers though

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by OhiOfIhima: 6:40am On Jun 19, 2020
Wickedfact:

You have nothing to say. If it is olosho, Yahoo, Naira Marley or Obaseki now, you would be shouting damn nigger like a stranded deportee.

May God give you your own house so that when those who have knowledge of buildings are talking, you too can open mouth.

You get d damn Nigger for mind before, lol...

maaaadoooo

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by TheSourcerer: 6:41am On Jun 19, 2020
illicit:

H for Help
or a ho wink
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by TheSourcerer: 6:43am On Jun 19, 2020
Wickedfact:

You have nothing to say. If it is olosho, Yahoo, Naira Marley or Obaseki now, you would be shouting damn nigger like a stranded deportee.

May God give you your own house so that when those who have knowledge of buildings are talking, you too can open mouth.
Jesus fucking christ!

This guy ,swears fit kill you if him catch you , please take pictures

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 6:43am On Jun 19, 2020
Chrisus:
Y’all pleaseeee leave the comments to the civil engineers

Exactly. You will now see pharmacists, dentists, doctors, musicians, bankers etc that have no business giving engineering advice here.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by TheSourcerer: 6:44am On Jun 19, 2020
arantess:

You are so uncouth
nice !
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by wondaboi94(m): 6:47am On Jun 19, 2020
Please I need a music studio builder in ibadan if you know any please let me know thank you
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Hezmatosky: 6:48am On Jun 19, 2020
Kaybaba5:
I suggest u relocate the tanks first. And let's observe what to do again
Exactly my point. Telling you from experience. Check the tanks. Did you do conduit piping or surface? Check for possible leakage

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by sirlop(m): 6:49am On Jun 19, 2020
Mayng01:
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.
When your concrete is made workable, you don’t need a poker vibrator. The problem should be either from curing or from the tanks at the roof top
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 6:49am On Jun 19, 2020
obiekunie2:

oga this decking is a low grade highly economized decking. even the color of the wall is clear prove that where you are supposed to use 10 bags of cement, u chose to economize with 4 bags.

now you are calling on engineers and pretending like you dont know where the problem is from.

as it stand now, your building can collapse if it rains heavily for 24 hours.

when they say higher qualify builders to build your house - you will say no! baba kassim has been building houses for years - i want him to build this one for me he is cheaper and experienced. here lies the final result - LEAKY DECKING!

pls do us all a favour and go rent a decent and safe house for your family while your live in that your house by yourself alone so that if anything happens you will be the only one in the house.

yea i know i sound hash - u r free to get angry.

Google the word DECORUM.

Now in this case you lack online decorum. You might be giving some sound advice but the way you went about it is very low class and crass

4 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by oyonu(m): 6:49am On Jun 19, 2020
It's obviously water, there must be a pipe around there: it should be traced and redone
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by alexpumpin: 6:50am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.
this structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty,
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.
Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.
The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

Noting much to be done. Follow the procedure as follow

1. Remove the tiles on the surface ( the space between the tiles absorbs water)

2. Create a drainage system ( weephole) in the decking

3. Do a solid screed on the surface

4. Thank me later

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.
The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?
your problem is the tanks sir, thank me later...I have a structure here built for my tank stand separately...with proper ventilation ,no heat problem but the decking is still always moisture sometimes
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by bobochem: 6:53am On Jun 19, 2020
Tiles the decking.In short time the decking will start dripping
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Aforxzy(f): 6:54am On Jun 19, 2020
The slab is exposed to water from the atmosphere and the tank. You might need to remove the tank and screed it again , felt it and also provide a channel for the excess water to drain out. Also open the windows for aeration.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by worldbest01(f): 6:56am On Jun 19, 2020
USE TAR ON TOP AFTER SMOOTH FLOORING
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by davidufuoma(m): 6:56am On Jun 19, 2020
Good morning sir
First of all
Most people's comment here are quite okay
But you cannot conclude without bringing a qualified Engineer or Builder to check and detect the errors/problem.
Then you need to perform what is known as structural integrity test on the slab (which you know as decking).
If after the test and there can be no remedy
I suggest you roof the slab to avoid water staying on top of the slab.
I hope this helps

3 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by layzie: 6:56am On Jun 19, 2020
Tonididdy

The issue may likely be the water tanks sitting above the deck. The water that overflows wen the tank is full may have found its way sipping into the walls.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by emerged01(m): 6:56am On Jun 19, 2020
It can be dampness as a result of lack of vent. I don’t think there is decking without felt that will not leak, even tiles can’t stop leakage or dampness. Maybe you should do a proper felt. Do this happen during dry season?
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by McCoy662(m): 6:57am On Jun 19, 2020
I really think it's head. I've seen such before when I went for electrical installation. The house was previously unoccupied but years later when I went for maintenance, all was gone.
So, if the building is secured, or nothing of high value is inside, try leaving the windows open for sometime and see if there will be any improvement.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by 0taPiaPia(m): 7:00am On Jun 19, 2020
The filler used for the finishing after the tiling doesn't hold water (porous). Re-do the procedure.

And again make sure there is a pipe leading water out of that platform and if there is, make sure it's not blocked.. the platform might be waterlogy

Thank me later cool

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Protein0: 7:00am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?

Try removing those water tanks first and observe for a while. This will enable you to rule that out first before making structural adjustments.

I personally don't think it's right for water tanks to sit on an habited structure like that in the pix you shared. Water is heavy plus the area where the tanks directly sit will always be wet
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by moyin2009: 7:00am On Jun 19, 2020
Kindly remove the tank away from it to lessen the weight on it and try to leave the window opens all the time. Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by MATURELION: 7:00am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh no of cos am not angry.
I came here for responses and I don't mind in what manner it will come.
About the structure, it's about 14sqm and consumed exactly 14bags of cement... I can't remember the ratio exactly but it was a...

1: 3: 3 or 1: 3: 4 or 1: 2: 3 ( I remember I got the ratio on here on NL, accompanied with some good engineering sites)

The wall plastering may have being of poor quality but the under decking plastering was a ratio of 1 bag to 6 or 5 buckets.

Also untop the decking before the water tanks were placed is partially tiled.

Do you think we were still highly economical?
remove the water tank they are not supposed to be placed directly on decking I've been to places where this is a major issue, build a tank stand with metal structure and have peace of mind

2 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Caseless: 7:01am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
No lol, I saw the whole process from start to finish.
Take the water tanker off the decking.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by jikins(m): 7:01am On Jun 19, 2020
GODPUNISHUNA:

Exactly. You will now see pharmacists, dentists, doctors, musicians, bankers etc that have no business giving engineering advice here.

Doesn't matter, just because 1 isn't an engineer doesn't mean they don't have an idea on it. Lets be open minded abeg. I am not an engineer but just looking at the pictures, those water tanks shouldn't be there.

We are not just 1 thing. Bill gates knows alot about infectious diseases, but is he a doctor? Why then do people sit down and listen to him talk about infectious disease? Going by your logic he should keep mute right? We learn everyday by experience and research. This gives us insight into other fields which enable us help ourselves and others the little way we can when the time comes.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by SenecaTheYonger: 7:04am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?

Wow OP sorry to hear. We had Decking for over 20 years before building upstairs and roofing and never had this problem. Something is definitely wrong somewhere
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by aminusodiq(m): 7:06am On Jun 19, 2020
obiekunie2:

if this ratio is acurate then the problem is from curing - it was properly cured.

maybe you should try re-plastering those sections that are dripping.

sorry for my stupid reply - sometimes i behave like nairalanders.
what do u mean? grin[center][/center] grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Quality Aluminum Roofing Sheets For Your Building / How Many 9" Blocks Are Required To Fence A 60ft By 120 Ft Plot? / Pls Urgent Response Needed, How Much Will It Cost To Build House Like This(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.