Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,751 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

What Is Happening To My Decking? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Happening To My Decking? (55748 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? / Estimated Cost Of Decking My House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by lighternote: 7:41am On Jun 19, 2020
Here's the problem, OP.

Mayng01:
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by lighternote: 7:41am On Jun 19, 2020
Here is the solution. Matter settled. Good luck, man.
Macbarba:
Remove the tanks and the tiles. Buy Dr FixIt and do the floor screeding again with dr fixit water proof cement . After that that put your tiles and tanks back then you are good to go

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 19, 2020
Everybody na Engr
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by adisabarber(m): 7:43am On Jun 19, 2020
JamesBond008:

[b]Bad drainage system on top of the decking [/b]might be one of the determinants. However, have you reconsidered replastering the decking from below using a high cement to sand ratio .

If he doesn't fix that, the problem will continue
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by explosiveskull(m): 7:43am On Jun 19, 2020
obiekunie2:

oga this decking is a low grade highly economized decking. even the color of the wall is clear prove that where you are supposed to use 10 bags of cement, u chose to economize with 4 bags.

now you are calling on engineers and pretending like you dont know where the problem is from.

as it stand now, your building can collapse if it rains heavily for 24 hours.

when they say HIRE QUALIFIED builders to build your house - you will say no! baba kassim has been building houses for years - i want him to build this one for me he is cheaper and experienced. here lies the final result - LEAKY DECKING!

pls do us all a favour and go rent a decent and safe house for your family while your live in that your house by yourself alone so that if anything happens you will be the only one in the house.

yea i know i sound hash - u r free to get angry.

Qualified engineer, while writing your harsh sounding, you were busy blundering everywhere with reckless abandon.
Good morning sir.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by MARKone(m): 7:44am On Jun 19, 2020
Wickedfact:

You have nothing to say. If it is olosho, Yahoo, Naira Marley or Obaseki now, you would be shouting damn nigger like a stranded deportee.

May God give you your own house so that when those who have knowledge of buildings are talking, you too can open mouth.

That boy irritates me with that his damn nigger thing, and he is always on front page.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by sim12: 7:45am On Jun 19, 2020
There is a leaking pipe from d water tank into the decking
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by explosiveskull(m): 7:46am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh no of cos am not angry.
I came here for responses and I don't mind in what manner it will come.
About the structure, it's about 14sqm and consumed exactly 14bags of cement... I can't remember the ratio exactly but it was a...

1: 3: 3 or 1: 3: 4 or 1: 2: 3 ( I remember I got the ratio on here on NL, accompanied with some good engineering sites)

The wall plastering may have being of poor quality but the under decking plastering was a ratio of 1 bag to 6 or 5 buckets.

Also untop the decking before the water tanks were placed is partially tiled.

Do you think we were still highly economical?
Oga you took a very big risk, so something this big is what you were copying specifications like common entrance exams. Nawa ooo, abeg no try am again.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by radomi: 7:46am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

About the structure, it's about 14sqm and consumed exactly 14bags of cement... I can't remember the ratio exactly but it was a...

1: 3: 3 or 1: 3: 4 or 1: 2: 3 ( I remember I got the ratio on here on NL, accompanied with some good engineering sites)

The wall plastering may have being of poor quality but the under decking plastering was a ratio of 1 bag to 6 or 5 buckets.

My advice is that you should remove those tanks from the roof. Normally it's not advisable to put tanks on top of buildings. If you do proper research you will see most houses where they put tank on top of there roof usually have this issue.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by FirefliesSun(f): 7:47am On Jun 19, 2020
That thing fit collapse o
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nauttyprof(m): 7:48am On Jun 19, 2020
My area of specialty addresses problems like this in buildings.

Whoever said you used the little amount of cement to construct as the reason for the leakage is wrong. I have seen several of these even with big construction companies.

One thing to note from this is tiling an exposed deck is never the solution to this problem too.

From your photos, two things are the possible cause of this:

1. Since the room is closed, condensation is a possible cause of this. Hot air within meets with cold air from external which then cause water droplet on the ceiling.

2. Another cause for this droplet is the concreting wasn't well vibrated hence it is porous. A porous concrete gives room for water penetration.

SOLUTION

1. Open the room and allow air. Observe if the problem still persist. You can introduce fan into the room too while it is opened.

2. If the above did not work, install felt (a bituminous membrane) on the exposed deck. Ensure you install 2 layers there since you have a water tank. You should completely remove the tiles before you install felt.

I would have recommended an alternative waterproofing material but don't know the quality of the concrete surface. The two solutions above are okay for now.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by ehardetola(m): 7:49am On Jun 19, 2020
Buhari is shock with this your socking decking. However, call your builder to demolish entire building and start at fresh.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by captainjay(m): 7:49am On Jun 19, 2020
Bayodiamond22:

How many buildings you don correct for your life?
For your information I have 18yrs experience. I am a registered civil engineer. So I can't count. Do you have issues with your building?
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by ogechijohn(m): 7:53am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.

This structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty.
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.

Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.

The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

Firstly it's possible there might be leakages
This can be due to poor bonding between concrete and steel which results in crevices. Water sips through these spots.

To solve it
1. Use a bituminous felt - Expensive because of the labour cost
Moreover, it's hard to tile on a bituminous felt.
2. Wedi Subliner - Economical
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Babson19: 7:54am On Jun 19, 2020
Good morning, the challenge you are facing may be as a result of many factors including
1) bad drainage on the tank slab hence water retention which then seeps down through your porous slab.

2) Quality of workmanship,supervision during slab concrete work.

3) Rain water and water from your tank can also seep down through the tiling as the cement grouting in-between the tiles wear off after a while.

Solution
You have to felt the whole slab including some upstand areas.

Contact me for more details
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by danchuzzy(m): 7:56am On Jun 19, 2020
GODPUNISHUNA:

Exactly. You will now see pharmacists, dentists, doctors, musicians, bankers etc that have no business giving engineering advice here.

Godpunishdem
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by ogundeleai(m): 7:56am On Jun 19, 2020
You have not stated whether upper floor is completed with Roof.... If not number of cements does not determine if the room will leak or not.... Once the water is fall on the deckon it will continue to find its way and the end result is to feel the impact by people in the ground floor... God will provide for you to complete the upper floor with roof

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by danchuzzy(m): 7:57am On Jun 19, 2020
sirlop:

When your concrete is made workable, you don’t need a poker vibrator. The problem should be either from curing or from the tanks at the roof top

How are you sure their concrete was made workable and the workmen didn't want to get as much as possible into a pan so they can make more money?

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Speedo17(m): 7:57am On Jun 19, 2020
Sir, you have a perfect building (Having gone through the pictures).
I have a similar one and I am living in it. The only difference is my Tanks are standing separately from the building.
As many have suggested to you. The problem is the overflowing water from the Tanks (and rain) seeping into the building.

Just remove those Tanks and don't put it back even after roofing.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by NaijadrivaCars: 7:57am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

We are talking of the quality of the decking itself, not the plastering of the decking.

Yo economised materials I guess.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by danchuzzy(m): 7:58am On Jun 19, 2020
GODPUNISHUNA:

Google the word DECORUM.

Now in this case you lack online decorum. You might be giving some sound advice but the way you went about it is very low class and crass

undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by AfroKnight: 7:58am On Jun 19, 2020
Apparently, the OP was the builder on this project.

Whatever money we think we can save by not hiring pros, we often end up spending to correct the mistakes.

No project is too small to hire a professional. This is true in projects that touch on accounting, health, tech, law, any discipline.

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by judeogbami: 8:00am On Jun 19, 2020
Your simply supported slab was not poked well enough (poor workmanship) and knowing fully well it is going to carry a water tank and open to air moisture, you were suppose to add an additive in the form of water-sealant sika-crete to the concrete to bond the concrete well while poking correctly. The solution to this problem now is to remove all the tiles and cover the top layer of the slab with two layers of bitumen (25mm) thick. this will prevent seepage of moisture to the slab.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 19, 2020
sim12:
There is a leaking pipe from d water tank into the decking
You may be right.

But he should remove the tank first.

I have had case of leaking pipe. So frustrating.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 19, 2020
KingMicky3286:
Oga Cement Enginner,

I want to learn work ooo. This your method will cause more hard than good.

Excuse me sir.

I was just wondering.

Can't a house be built with just cement and rod with gravel with NO SAND.

I am not a civil engineer ooo

I ask due to curiosity.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by saydfact(m): 8:01am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

even the most quality decking wld experience same under same condition..

1, get the tanks off it
2. get good water-proofing on
3. the decking wasn't designed (definitely) to carry such heavy dead load

Goodluck
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by danchuzzy(m): 8:01am On Jun 19, 2020
jikins:

Doesn't matter, just because 1 isn't an engineer doesn't mean they don't have an idea on it. Lets be open minded abeg. I am not an engineer but just looking at the pictures, those water tanks shouldn't be there.

We are not just 1 thing. Bill gates knows alot about infectious diseases, but is he a doctor? Why then do people sit down and listen to him talk about infectious disease? Going by your logic he should keep mute right? We learn everyday by experience and research. This gives us insight into other fields which enable us help ourselves and others the little way we can when the time comes.

Lol @ the bolded. Why shouldn't they be there and how did you come to this conclusion?
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by solochiben(m): 8:03am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.

This structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty.
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.

Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.

The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

Try roof this house na
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 19, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Let me learn

Be a real niggarrr
You are talking to a real niggarrr who is on the verge of roofing his building
Initially, I started it with the Idea of stone coated( metro tiles and parapet )
But when i realize the expenses halfway, coupled with the fact that i was spending money on steel rod i was left with no choice than to settle for a metcoppo or step tiles aluminium immediately it gets to roofing stage With 18ft wood work
still everything about the aluminium roofing and wood work according to my engineer is supposed to cost about 3million. To me the thing is still very expensive.
The only reason i will proceed now is the fact that i was told that those aluminium company gives discount when you patrionize them be it long span, step tiles and metcoppo. Atleast with that discount. A real niggarrr can have something remaining in his account to smoke some weed, bang enough Pussy and drink enough bottles
Lol.... bahd Guy. I am into building roofing. give your guy contract now
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by oyeb15: 8:08am On Jun 19, 2020
The problem is the type of sand used.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Quality Aluminum Roofing Sheets For Your Building / How Many 9" Blocks Are Required To Fence A 60ft By 120 Ft Plot? / Pls Urgent Response Needed, How Much Will It Cost To Build House Like This(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.