Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

What Is Happening To My Decking? - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Happening To My Decking? (55617 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? / Estimated Cost Of Decking My House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by tonididdy(m): 10:26am On Jun 19, 2020
[quote author=Kylekent59 post=90834395][/quote]
Yes seen thanks a million
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by princejones(m): 10:31am On Jun 19, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Let me learn

Be a real niggarrr
You are talking to a real niggarrr who is on the verge of roofing his building
Initially, I started it with the Idea of stone coated( metro tiles and parapet )
But when i realize the expenses halfway, coupled with the fact that i was spending money on steel rod i was left with no choice than to settle for a metcoppo or step tiles aluminium immediately it gets to roofing stage With 18ft wood work
still everything about the aluminium roofing and wood work according to my engineer is supposed to cost about 3million. To me the thing is still very expensive.
The only reason i will proceed now is the fact that i was told that those aluminium company gives discount when you patrionize them be it long span, step tiles and metcoppo. Atleast with that discount. A real niggarrr can have something remaining in his account to smoke some weed, bang enough Pussy and drink enough bottles

But you nor dey Benin city na. Na Benin city i dey.
Okay.. maybe next time. But I wonder if i go try this matter again next time because this building stress me. I nor know say to build house dey stressful and expensive o. I just dey see small small boys dey build house. Na im i say make me still start my own.
You can reach us for your roofing project at a price you thought could not do your roofing
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by princejones(m): 10:32am On Jun 19, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Let me learn

Be a real niggarrr
You are talking to a real niggarrr who is on the verge of roofing his building
Initially, I started it with the Idea of stone coated( metro tiles and parapet )
But when i realize the expenses halfway, coupled with the fact that i was spending money on steel rod i was left with no choice than to settle for a metcoppo or step tiles aluminium immediately it gets to roofing stage With 18ft wood work
still everything about the aluminium roofing and wood work according to my engineer is supposed to cost about 3million. To me the thing is still very expensive.
The only reason i will proceed now is the fact that i was told that those aluminium company gives discount when you patrionize them be it long span, step tiles and metcoppo. Atleast with that discount. A real niggarrr can have something remaining in his account to smoke some weed, bang enough Pussy and drink enough bottles

But you nor dey Benin city na. Na Benin city i dey.
Okay.. maybe next time. But I wonder if i go try this matter again next time because this building stress me. I nor know say to build house dey stressful and expensive o. I just dey see small small boys dey build house. Na im i say make me still start my own.
Reach us on for your roofing project at a price you thought impossible
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by emonkey(m): 10:37am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Yes I will.
What waterproofing agents do your prescribe?

I am not a builder. Ask for a good bitumen based sealant. Some just use a hot melt tar seal coat followed by a bituminous membrane top. These treatments can be costly but is well worth it. Sika products are good, I don't know if they are still available in market.
https://www.sika.com/en/construction/roof-systems/bituminous-membrane.html
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by NwaliE01: 10:50am On Jun 19, 2020
My brother. It's not a thing to worry about.
Do proper water cealing on the deck and properly channel the water out to a drainage.
It Will stop. The cheapest is to smooth cement the decking with proper drain pipe to run out the water from the top deck.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by pope5(m): 10:58am On Jun 19, 2020
Every concrete structure will absorb water to some extent. Your structure will still absorb water even if you have no tank on it and in this case you have a tank on it.

Want to believe your slab was constructed in the normal way lay men do it without much vibration and compaction during casting, the water (sweat) you see is absorbed water from the top

Tiles will not save you as their joints is not reliable in retaining water

I agree with bituminous lay as advised but its expensive and will weaken and leak after sometime

One cheap way get it done is to screed the entire slab with cement and make sure there is a good slope with drain to quickly dry off the surface.

Finally, install a floating switch in your water tank to control overflow. Always seek professional help even if you cannot afford one get a friend or some1 to help you look at your projects
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Synthase(m): 11:12am On Jun 19, 2020
Mayng01:
What you people call decking is known as a slab in engineering term, during the casting of the concrete work of that slab, a vibrator that consists of a poker was not used on the slab work thereby creating honey comb in the slab; it means there are voids or spaces for air or water to flow through & concrete work are meant to be tightly and closely packed. So each time rain falls or your tank overflows during pumping, there is seepage ( water flowing through the concrete) thereby causing moisture through the walls and slabs internally. Concrete are meant to hold water not to absorb it. Therefore, that fault is referred to as poor workmanship during construction.
I am not an engineer, but I think this may explain the issue the op described. My initial thought was that if your windows are sweating from within, or a certain part of the decking is moist, then those part of the building is becoming colder and this is the reason why the water vapours present in the room are condensing on the window. One of the way forward will be to identify the source of the lowering temperature which could be water seepage through the decking or faulty/leaking plumbing pipes. So, I am in support of the suggestions of those that said you should consider checking the plumbing pipes for leakages or outrightly relocate the tanks and roof the structure if what the engineer described above is what has happened in the case of your building.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by jogsman01(m): 11:19am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Yes there are about 5 slabs (beams) running through the area where the tanks are and another central beam. All internal....

My engineer actually drew and supervised this structure along with myself
Then the case might be caused by substandard materials, mix ratio, or the design might be wrong.

What I'm trying to say is a cantilever slab if perfectly designed to carry a specific load, with the designed mix will not fail. The defect is one of the above.

Kindly note that in the engineering field, design is different from drawing. Drawings are for architects. Thanks
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by frozen70(f): 11:20am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Let's argue a bit
A water tanker and everyday rainfall which provides more water in a surface like this?

The tankers are brand new and not leaking. When the tanks are full, it's shut down immediately unlike rain you can't control.

So let's not blame the tanks

Have you considered the weight of that tank, weather effects on it anytime it fulls and pour down

There is no way water will fill and off immediately without pouring or overflowing

I stand on my advice that its the effect of the over head tank that is affecting it

It will definitely continue like that until its removed

Talk about rainfall effects,

How often those the rain falls

Then how regularly does he pump water

Rain falls effects has no impact as the tank seating on a decking

It's never a good idea to mount a water tank on a concrete roof of a building
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Yusful131: 11:25am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Hi NLanders and Engineers.
Good evening.

This structure was built in December 2019.
I noticed the room is always moisty.
When the room windows and door is shut... The glass sweat from inside.

Now it's the roofing(decking), just this part of the decking.

The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?
What you are seeing is a result of do it yourself (DIY). next time try and consult a professional to handle your project to avoid lost of lives and property.
Solutions
1) try and vet the upper part of your suspended slab where you have your water tank. Your tiles might not be treated with waterproof materials like cilikagel and the likes. Concrete is permiable and can absord water at any time.
2) if the leaking continues, you have to remove the water tank from the slab and create a stantion for it.
3) never put any water tank in between your structure in your subsequent constructions.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by adisabarber(m): 11:36am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Yes pls reply me here... Thanks

First you need to check the slope of the part where the tank is. Water should not be stop anywhere. Once that is OK, you should check the wall around it. And see if there is no part water can pass through to enter the decking. Once that is OK, you will use white cement which you can get from plumbing stores to fill the spaces between the tiles. If you used broken tiles you might have to refloor the decking cos it's not really easy to make broken tiles waterproof cos of too many irregular shapes. Also use at least 2 inch pipe for the water outlet. If you do not understand, let me know.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by 360command: 11:42am On Jun 19, 2020
[quote author=tonididdy post=90799302

What do you think? [/quote] you do not place a tank ontop the deck. Build a separate platform to place the tank .

In the future, when water from the tank starts pouring to the roof, it will weaken the cement or rods used in the making. The sun begins to penetrate through thereby creating cracks on the wall. Also, you start seeing watermarks which spoils the interior and exterior painting, moulds or some green things starts growing..
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Biodun556(m): 11:44am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

The room is well ventilated but since no occupant the windows and doors are always shut.

Above the decking is completely tiled and two brand new water tanks are sitting untop.

What could this imply?

From experience, water could be finding it way through the conduit pipes. Make your findings
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Mjspecial: 11:45am On Jun 19, 2020
what you need to do is felt the decking with bituminous felt that's all plus with a good drainage system (the slope ) your good to go
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Nobody: 11:45am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

It's ok fam.
We are also looking at the possibility of excess heat because like I said before, the room is damped looking and the window glass sweat from the inside.

That's the building with two tankers untop... The water in this home is continually hot on a sunny day (the radiation and heat from the roof next to it keeps the water hot all day long, we are suspecting this to be the cause of the excess humidity level in the decked room.

What do you think?

There is no roof over your building. Stop bothering yourself till you complete the house.

Just keep the windows open to ventilation.

But waterproofing while decking solves such problems.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Yusful131: 11:52am On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:
Good evening.

What could this imply?

What you are seeing is as a result of do it yourself or poor supervision from non professional.
Solutions
1) you have to velt the upper part of the slab.
2) Remove the tank permanently if the leaking continues
3) take someone that has knowledge of civil engineering or construction management to your house for proper investigation
3) always mix your cement mortar with waterproof chemicals next time and
4) Avoid placement of water tank between your slab.
5) find a way of creating roof drainage if it doesn't exist.
Concrete is permiable in nature and can absord water at anytime any day.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Prinnce1: 11:57am On Jun 19, 2020
edrys:

Same experience I had with my former accommodation. Furnitures accumulate water over time and becomes mold, electronics are not spare too, it affects photographs and clothes over time. When cooking in the kitchen, the tiled wall would start dripping water.
seepage is the cause, maybe the water table of the particular area you stayed was high,in this situation water doesn't move downward but instead upward. It is advisable to carry out soil/geotechnical test in any soil to know the type of foundation to be use. Damp proof should also be put into use when building be it bungalow or storey building. That your former house lifespan has reduced drastically. If I may ask nailing a nail into the wall was very easy right ?
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Prinnce1: 12:00pm On Jun 19, 2020
Yusful131:

What you are seeing is as a result of do it yourself or poor supervision from non professional.
Solutions
1) you have to velt the upper part of the slab.
2) Remove the tank permanently if the leaking continues
3) take someone that has knowledge of civil engineering or construction management to your house for proper investigation
3) always mix your cement mortar with waterproof chemicals next time and
4) Avoid placement of water tank between your slab.
5) find a way of creating roof drainage if it doesn't exist.
Concrete is permiable in nature and can absord water at anytime any day.
I can bet that the deck wasn't plumbed nor a discharge provided.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Jomandi13(m): 12:15pm On Jun 19, 2020
obiekunie2:

oga this decking is a low grade highly economized decking. even the color of the wall is clear prove that where you are supposed to use 10 bags of cement, u chose to economize with 4 bags.

now you are calling on engineers and pretending like you dont know where the problem is from.

as it stand now, your building can collapse if it rains heavily for 24 hours.

when they say higher qualify builders to build your house - you will say no! baba kassim has been building houses for years - i want him to build this one for me he is cheaper and experienced. here lies the final result - LEAKY DECKING!

pls do us all a favour and go rent a decent and safe house for your family while your live in that your house by yourself alone so that if anything happens you will be the only one in the house.

yea i know i sound hash - u r free to get angry.

You are absolutely right about this issue.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by mechanics(m): 12:16pm On Jun 19, 2020
obiekunie2:

oga this decking is a low grade highly economized decking. even the color of the wall is clear prove that where you are supposed to use 10 bags of cement, u chose to economize with 4 bags.

now you are calling on engineers and pretending like you dont know where the problem is from.

when they say higher qualify builders to build your house - you will say no! baba kassim has been building houses for years - i want him to build this one for me he is cheaper and experienced. here lies the final result - LEAKY DECKING!

pls do us all a favour and go rent a decent and safe house for your family while your live in that your house by yourself alone so that if anything happens you will be the only one in the house.

You are absolutely right.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by emmanilly: 12:16pm On Jun 19, 2020
You don't have a roof over the decked house and u re complaining of having a damped and leaky decking. Regardless of how many bags of cement used for the decking, it most retain some amount of water. Portland cement is super hydrophilic in nature so it must absorb water when expose to water. Try as much as possible to complete the building put a roof on the building. My two cents

1 Like

Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by safarigirI(f): 12:25pm On Jun 19, 2020
obiekunie2:

the truth is bitter but its better.
You're absolutely right bro.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by wolebest: 12:35pm On Jun 19, 2020
Just make sure water is not retained on the decking. Water will stop seeping through. I had this problem once but as soon as I cleared a path for rain water to drain off the decking it stopped seeping.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by purechemnigeria: 12:36pm On Jun 19, 2020
If you want to protect your decking from water leakage, use FOSROC BRUSHBONF FLX III. Purechem Manufacturing Ltd is a Licensee manufacturer of Fosroc products in Nigeria. You can get the best solution of Waterproofing of the roof in Nigeria from PURECHEM.

FOSROC BRUSHBONF FLX III is high-technology polymer-modified waterproofing elastomeric waterproofing membrane system for concrete and masonry surface. FOSROC BRUSHBONF FLX III provides seamless elastic waterproof membrane for roof deck, wet areas, precast joints where a tough elastomeric watertight membrane is required.

Advantage of FOSROC BRUSHBONF FLX III: Can be applied on a damp substrate, no primer required, able to bridge crack, able to take foot traffic when cured.

PURECHEM offers a comprehensive technical support service to specifiers, end-users and contractors. It is also able to offer on-site technical assistance, an AutoCAD facility and dedicated specification assistance in locations all over the Nigeria.

Send an Email: info@purechemmanufacturing.com or call on Tel: +234 1 2790550, 7740172
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by Xandelle: 12:57pm On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

Oh no of cos am not angry.
I came here for responses and I don't mind in what manner it will come.
About the structure, it's about 14sqm and consumed exactly 14bags of cement... I can't remember the ratio exactly but it was a...

1: 3: 3 or 1: 3: 4 or 1: 2: 3 ( I remember I got the ratio on here on NL, accompanied with some good engineering sites)

The wall plastering may have being of poor quality but the under decking plastering was a ratio of 1 bag to 6 or 5 buckets.

Also untop the decking before the water tanks were placed is partially tiled.

Do you think we were still highly economical?

Modified: the water drops don't actually drop on the floor from the ceiling... They just hang there and I noticed that area is the lowest point in the under decking plastering.

It's also good to note this drops are not found anywhere close to underneath the water tank area. They are far away from where the tanks are. The decking underneath the tank area is 1001% completely dry always.

There is a type of cement called water seal... Was it used on the decking? If not, there's another older way water is sealed, by using waterproof materials like tapoline.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by boay(m): 1:06pm On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

I have just read more information about this but where to get this?

Where is your location? There are people that do it
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by boay(m): 1:07pm On Jun 19, 2020
tonididdy:

How do you mean sir?
Firstly what do you think is wrong?
Maybe water is settling on the concrete. It should have been construction to slope outward so that water flows out and not settle on it
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by edrys(m): 1:08pm On Jun 19, 2020
Prinnce1:
seepage is the cause, maybe the water table of the particular area you stayed was high,in this situation water doesn't move downward but instead upward. It is advisable to carry out soil/geotechnical test in any soil to know the type of foundation to be use. Damp proof should also be put into use when building be it bungalow or storey building. That your former house lifespan has reduced drastically. If I may ask nailing a nail into the wall was very easy right ?

I am very sure my blow can tear the wall apart grin
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by step16(m): 1:21pm On Jun 19, 2020
Call me, I would explain what to do. 08064943303
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by fadoz(m): 1:56pm On Jun 19, 2020
hmmmm........i'm suspecting your contractor,maybe he'z one of yah village people.
Re: What Is Happening To My Decking? by danchuzzy(m): 2:50pm On Jun 19, 2020
jikins:

I believe if you read through this thread, you will get an answer to your question.

The fact that most people who are not qualified professionals state something doesn't necessarily make it true mate.

Just like saying because you've owned a car, you now understand the intricate workings of the engines, cylinders and so on.

Except you give yourself to, and are really interested in the study of a particular subject, you'd basically be working with hearsay and not facts.

I can categorically tell you that the reference to what people have said so far lack facts. They've probably encountered a lot of "shady" builders who don't understand the workings of building materials and write off certain concepts they don't and cannot wrap their heads around.

There's nothing wrong, structurally or otherwise, with having a tank on a concrete slab sir, is what I'm trying to say, as far as the platform is properly built.

Cheers mate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Onitsha Fuel Tanker Fire, As Traders Count Losses (Photos) / How Many 9" Blocks Are Required To Fence A 60ft By 120 Ft Plot? / What Is The Weirdest Rule A Landlady/Landlord Has Ever Given You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.