Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,534 members, 7,823,319 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn (6602 Views)

Presidency Debunks Rumoured Sack Of Jega,asks Opposition To Desist From Inciting / INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega / INEC Voter Registration: Eyewitness Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by sholasys: 4:07pm On Jan 27, 2011
It is high time we begin to embrace project management. The Voters registration cum DDC machine wasn't properly "projectized", No proper scooping and planning. Dont be surprised if he requested for additional 1Ob
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by TMoni1(m): 4:08pm On Jan 27, 2011
WHY DONT WE ALL BE POSITIVE FOR ONCE!!!

MUST NIGERIANS ALWAYS CRITICIZE AND LOOK AT THINGS NEGATIVELY ALL THE TIME

HABA!

This is a very very large nation with known issues and complications, we mustnt alwys run people down. if we do not support people like JEGA he will definitely fail. HE IS NOT GOD.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by monkeyleg: 4:08pm On Jan 27, 2011
I can almost guarantee you guys we will be spending that sort of money come 2015.

Jega must resign now. Nigerians must learn how to make thier leaders accountable. I am sick and tired of our Money being wasted this way. I have nothing against the Prof, but I think this is way beyond him.

I am confident there are seasoned Nigerians out there that can do a steller job. Uncle Jega should go and rest.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

foreigners come here to shout as usual.

One week extension - wont he pay for the ad hoc staff and other logistics?

Why must you all always assume that every public figure is out there trying to loot money meant for one thing or the other?

How many of you here has gone to register? How many of you here will shout foul during the elections when people begin to shout that they couldnt register?

Look what this fellow said! LOL

Did that jump out of the mouth or what is actually said? LOL.

Scenario . . .

You hire a consultant to carry out an assignment. You present him with his ToR which contains his exact job descriptions and expectations. Based on that, he draws up a proposal covering the total cost. This proposal is approved by you and the funds subsequently released.

Halfway through the project, he realized he won't be able to meet the deadline as a result of bad planning and shoddy implementation of the activities. The information you received from the field was that he employed inexperienced and inadequate workers, procured sub-standard materials, and generally messed up the whole process.

The only alternative to ensure the activity is effectively implemented will be an extension of the time line. However, your consultant is insisting that the assignment must be concluded at this point because an extension would incur additional costs on his side.

Question:
What will be your reaction?

Options
a) Grant him the time extension he requested for at no additional cost because the extra costs is as a result of his own failure.
b) Grant him the time extension he requested for and provide the extra costs he's demanding because he's threatening to resign.  undecided
c) Object to the time extension because of the extra cost at the risk of not achieving your own objectives as a result of his failure to implement as planned and as budgeted.
d) Object to the requests for time extension additional cost, fire him and sue his highly unprofessional a$$!

I'd go for option d . . . .  How about you    undecided
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by reubeno(m): 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2011
The man has come again. We all know where this whole exercise will lead us to, the voters card is worthless just like the past ones that never really dictate the wish of the electorate. Democracy in Nigeria is a sham, FGN and SG should stop embarrassing the general public to go n register and that whoever fail he/she will be denied access to govt social programmes.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by violent(m): 4:11pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ujujoan:

Scenario . . .

You hire a consultant to carry out an assignment. You present him with his ToR which contains his exact job descriptions and expectations. Based on that, he draws up a proposal covering the total cost. This proposal is approved by you and the funds subsequently released.

Halfway through the project, he realized he won't be able to meet the deadline as a result of bad planning and shoddy implementation of the activities. The information you received from the field was that he employed inexperienced and inadequate workers, procured sub-standard materials, and generally messed up the whole process.

The only alternative to ensure the activity is effectively implemented will be an extension of the time line. However, your consultant is insisting that the assignment must be concluded at this point because an extension would incur additional costs on his side.

Question:

Options
a) Grant him the time extension he requested for at no additional cost because the extra costs is as a result of his own failure.
b) Grant him the time extension he requested for and provide the extra costs he's demanding because he's threatening to resign.  undecided
c) Object to the time extension because of the extra cost at the risk of not achieving your own objectives as a result of his failure to implement as planned and as budgeted.
d) Object to the requests for time extension additional cost, fire him and sue his highly unprofessional a$$!

Nice one, I'd go for option D as well!
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Hoodrat(m): 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2011
All you retard posters should shut your smelly mouth before I lose my cool, You are not expected to say something inteligent and if you got something important to say walk straight to aso rock and lay your comment and opinion down I bet you won't left breaten, before you type any s**t ask yourself this question will my comment and opinion be read by the government or any of their official? You are just wasting your time talking so loud like you own the world this thread soon die and another thread will be brought in that's how it goes on and on and you are yet to find something important to do with your time? How long will you continue to talk so loud infront of people who know nothing about your existence and comment, )I aint even gon act on that cuz we bringing troops in soon to f**k all those ugly old pig off and we can aswell born your cities but don't be Offended is for nigerian people sake. Holla at me you coward generations sit and watch them looting your life and killing your mama and papa with poverty and hardship all in the name of the stupid government strategy which has add no good to the nigerian economic. F**k u all.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by monkeyleg: 4:14pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ujujoan:

Scenario . . .

Question:

Options

Option E: Demote him, get an experienced hand to run things and show him how things are done
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Jan 27, 2011
violent:

Nice one, I'd go for option D as well!

In this case, the only thing that we can do is fire him. We cannot sue him since the president KNEW FULL WELL that this man did not have the right management credentials for the job before appointing him to it.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jan 27, 2011
T.Moni:

WHY DONT WE ALL BE POSITIVE FOR ONCE!!!

MUST NIGERIANS ALWAYS CRITICIZE AND LOOK AT THINGS NEGATIVELY ALL THE TIME

HABA!

This is a very very large nation with known issues and complications, we mustnt alwys run people down. if we do not support people like JEGA he will definitely fail. HE IS NOT GOD.

Do you not know what the problem is with the registration  

It's not exactly the population, it's the bad machinery. An exercise that would ordinarily last for 5 minutes now takes up at least 30 because their tools are substandard. This has clearly slowed down the process.

And as a matter of fact, I was thinking he would have taken the population into consideration before starting the assignment. Does that mean he spent all these months on 'planning' doing absolutely nothing     undecided
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

In this case, the only thing that we can do is fire him. We cannot sue him since the president KNEW FULL WELL that this man did not have the right management credentials for the job before appointing him to it.

Well he should have rejected the assignment knowing fully well that he was incable!
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by monkeyleg: 4:20pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ujujoan:

Well he should have rejected the assignment knowing fully well that he was incable!

In Nigeria, people dont accept their inability to do things, they will accept positions knowing fully well what the outcome is likely to be. After all if he fails, no one can do anything to him. That's how it works in Bongo
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 4:21pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ujujoan:

Oh, please~~ Like that will ever happen in Nigeria . . . lol

Even after this, I bet you this man will remain a hero to many out there. It is weird how it works but that is what I have come to learn of how things work in Nigeria.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 27, 2011
monkeyleg:

In Nigeria, people dont accept their inability to do things, they will accept positions knowing fully well what the outcome is likely to be. After all if he fails, no one can do anything to him. That's how it works in Bongo

Word! It's actually very embarrassing . . embarassed embarassed

Kobojunkie:

Oh, please~~ Like that will ever happen in Nigeria . . . lol

I know . . .but that makes him liable in the court of law. Grounds to sue him if you ask me . . . . undecided
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On Jan 27, 2011
^^^ You can't sue him because the president was well aware of the man's record before choosing to appoint him. If anything, the only person you could sue would be the president but the way things are going, I don't think much dust is going to be raised on this. I suspect that this voter's registration is probably going to be considered a success and used for years to come. I mean it is sad but that is the way it works, and probably will.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by foreman: 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2011
kinharold:

good mathematics, but ddn't he do this mathematics before he said he can register about 70m in just 2 weeks. many pple tried to tell him earlier that that won't be possible but he ddn't listen.

Now, after agreeing and signing to do a job at an agreed amount and for an agreed duration, he couldn't deliver. And for reasons/faults that are obviously his:
his staff come late to work
equipment failure
unavailable equipment where it is needed
non payment of staff as at when due etc.

Now that more precious time is required for him to try and do the job, he is askin us to pay for it.

My own:  Nigerians should please, give him part of the needed amount and let him source for the rest from within. All, so that we can all do our best to have a credible register and a free and fair election. May God help us.

well, 70million in two weeks is not bad.

To make 70million in two weeks, he needs to register 70/14 = 5million in a day. Considering that we have 120,000 centers, he needs to register 5000000/120000 =42 people per center per day
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by violent(m): 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2011
He can't be sued cos he's a representative of INEC, and the responsibilities of his decisions are borne by INEC, it wouldn't make sense for the federal government to sue INEC
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by foreman: 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2011
BTW, even if you plan for 10 weeks in Nigeria, people will still ask for extension
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ You can't sue him because the president was well aware of the man's record before choosing to appoint him. If anything, the only person you could sue would be the president but the way things are going, I don't think much dust is going to be raised on this. I suspect that this voter's registration is probably going to be considered a success and used for years to come. I mean it is sad but that is the way it works, and probably will.

You can't say we can't sue him! This is not about who appointed him, this is about him breaching a contract. If the President believed in him and offered him an appointment to implement an activity of this magnitude, he reserves the right to reject it if he felt he won't be capable to achieve the objectives. His acceptance makes him liable for anything that goes wrong, and not the person who offered him the appointment.

As far as the president didn't hold a gun to his head to accept the offer of, I don't think the president can be held responsible at all! undecided
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by calyx: 4:36pm On Jan 27, 2011
foreman:

well, 70million in two weeks is not bad.

To make 70million in two weeks, he needs to register 70/14 = 5million in a day. Considering that we have 120,000 centers, he needs to register 5000000/120000 =42 people per center per day

and 42 people per center in 8 hrs (8am to 4pm) is approximately 11 mins/person. An AMPLE time for common registration if you ask me.

The MTN/ZAIN guys that registered my sim card didnt take more than 40 secs each. The sim registration was even a little more tasking when zain was asking for all manner of things.

I think Jega has failed woefully
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 27, 2011
violent:

He can't be sued cos he's a representative of INEC, and the responsibilities of his decisions are borne by INEC, it wouldn't make sense for the federal government to sue INEC

You sue him personally, and then sure INEC! cool cool
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Hoodrat(m): 4:47pm On Jan 27, 2011
All you r e t a r d posters should shut your smelly mouth before I lose my cool, You are not expected to say something inteligent and if you got something important to say walk straight to aso rock and lay your comment and opinion down I bet you won't left breathen, before you type any s ** t ask yourself this question will my comment and opinion be read by the government or any of their official? You are just wasting your time talking so loud like you own the world this thread soon die and another thread will be brought in that's how it goes on and on and you are yet to find something important to do with your time? How long will you continue to talk so loud infront of people who know nothing about your existence and comment, )I aint even gon act on that cuz we bringing troops in soon to f ** k those ugly old pig off and we can aswell born your cities but don't be Offended is for nigerian people sake. Holla at me you coward generations sit and watch them looting your life and killing your mama and papa with poverty and hardship all in the name of the stupid government strategy which has add no good to the nigerian economic. F ** k u all. Tell mum and dad to get their insurance paid up cuz there will be no room for mercies.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by asscend: 4:54pm On Jan 27, 2011
Well this is what you get when you do things in a hurry.

Voters registration should take a year in my opinion so every one can register.  Not necessarily the way it is set up but people can go to their local govt offices or inec local offices to register.  This way cost is minimal but it is spread over a longer period of time.

Only in Nigeria do we impose such voters registration on people and we expect excellent results, its just not possible.

if we did this since last year we would have been done by now, instead we spent all our time looking for a dead president.  No one rememberd that an election was in a years time.

JEga is not the problem, the system is.  He wants more money, so give it to him; its expected in such a system of hurried voters registration.

We must think of the future and clear this mess; however i'm of the opinion that the govt love it this way.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 4:56pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ujujoan:

You can't say we can't sue him! This is not about who appointed him, this is about him breaching a contract. If the President believed in him and offered him an appointment to implement an activity of this magnitude, he reserves the right to reject it if he felt he won't be capable to achieve the objectives. His acceptance makes him liable for anything that goes wrong, and not the person who offered him the appointment.

As far as the president didn't hold a gun to his head to accept the offer of, I don't think the president can be held responsible at all!  undecided

I don't think we can say he breached the contract though. I mean he did conduct the registration, only that it does not seem to be going as well as some of us envisioned.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by asscend: 5:04pm On Jan 27, 2011
you right sis.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by asscend: 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2011
Hoodrat:

All you r e t a r d posters should shut your smelly mouth before I lose my cool, You are not expected to say something inteligent and if you got something important to say walk straight to aso rock and lay your comment and opinion down I bet you won't left breathen, before you type any s ** t ask yourself this question will my comment and opinion be read by the government or any of their official? You are just wasting your time talking so loud like you own the world this thread soon die and another thread will be brought in that's how it goes on and on and you are yet to find something important to do with your time? How long will you continue to talk so loud infront of people who know nothing about your existence and comment, )I aint even gon act on that cuz we bringing troops in soon to f ** k those ugly old pig off and we can aswell born your cities but don't be Offended is for nigerian people sake. Holla at me you coward generations sit and watch them looting your life and killing your mama and papa with poverty and hardship all in the name of the silly government strategy which has add no good to the nigerian economic. F ** k u all. Tell mum and dad to get their insurance paid up cuz there will be no room for mercies.

Easy oh! You make some good points however tone your wordings down please.

Remember violence begats violence,
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I don't think we can say he breached the contract though. I mean he did conduct the registration, only that it does not seem to be going as well as some of us envisioned.

He's breaching the contract if he's asking for extra funds!
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 27, 2011
Very funny, but extremely worrying.
I remember when I started questioning this guys moves, I was quickly and swiftly shot down and dragged out with blood all over the floor by a lot of apologist on this forum.

Let us step back a bit. Right from the inception, a lot of people were already singing his praises even before he lifted a finger, well for me I was looking out for a proper programme plan, one that showed promise that some of the issues from the last exercise had been tackled and addressed properly. I even recounted my 12hr experience during the last voter’s registration, on this forum.

Anyway, then came the Delta state re-run. No matter what people say, it was very clear to me and those who wanted to see that the whole thing was a sham, with the same problems bugging things down, even Jega in his own words admitted that ballot box snatching and rowdy electioneering was the order of the day. Some were fixated on the point that my preferred candidate did not win, however I was more interested in a system which had shown very little signs of change, in fact in my candid assessment, I think it had regressed badly. People were failing to see my point of a man, who definitely wasn’t suited for the job. In times like this, our lack of honest assessment always gets the best of us.

2 weeks later, the voters registration kicks off, then we start getting all these horrible stories, including the wicked and false blaming of corpers. Well honestly I wasn’t surprised that the whole thing was going to be like this. Anyone who wanted to be objective, could see that proper planning and consultation had not being done, and the likelihood of a smooth and credible exercise was very remote, but being the Nigerians we are, we don’t face up to it and start making silly excuses.

Key questions:
1: why was this contract not awarded to an organisation that has good solid experience of Biometric registration be it local of foreign? After all with a budget in excess of £300 million, you can get the brightest and the best.
2: Where is the accountability, why were Nigerians not updated regularly on the progress of the whole thing from planning to delivery?
3: Who is responsible?

As far as I am concerned, no more money should be thrown at this thing, until Jega comes with a very detailed, credible and plausible plan. If he can’t, he must be relieved on the position, and someone with a better understanding brought in.
The way things are going, I can guarantee you guy, we will be going through this same thing come 2015

@ Monkeyleg

You are completely correct, he who fails to plan plans to fail . . .  undecided

However, awarding the contract to an external organization is like contracting an organization to print the national currency. Some things, for security reasons, have to be handled 'in-house' and voter's registration is one of them!  undecided

What I don't understand is why INEC didn't hire professionals to work for them . .
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Rastamann: 5:27pm On Jan 27, 2011
Jega is a rogue and a thief! What did he do with  the funds that was given to him -buy useless equipment and open registration centers in the evil forest? After chopping ASUU money as president and ABU money as VC, he now wan chop INEC money. Ole ni e!
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ujujoan:

@ Monkeyleg

You are completely correct, he who fails to plan plans to fail . . .  undecided

However, awarding the contract to an external organization is like contracting an organization to print the national currency. Some things, for security reasons, have to be handled 'in-house' and voter's registration is one of them! undecided

BULL!!!! How many more times do we have to take this sort of  hits to realize that it is probably in our best interest to have externals, where we can, handle these things for us. If an outside PROVEN group had been called in for this, we would be here singing a different song, if you asked me.

For half the price, INEC could have probably gotten a professional team somewhere to FLY in and get this job done effectively for us.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by violent(m): 5:35pm On Jan 27, 2011
I believe the process would have been smoother if handled by telecommunication providers.

It's as easy as the government appointing two providers. . e.g MTN and glo.

Voters are instructed to go into any of their nearby offices to make registration, all details are the collected ad filed into a single national database. That would have prevented the brouhaha of missing DDC machines and untrained personnels.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

BULL!!!! How many more times do we have to be hit to realize that it is probably in our best interest to have externals, where we can, handle these things for us. If an outside PROVEN group had been called in for this, we would be here singing a different song, if you asked me.

Maybe, maybe not! We all know that the contract would have eventually been awarded to the group with the highest IM (who you know)!

However, the same objective would have been achieved if INEC planned well and hired professionals to do the job. I bet Jega has his relatives and friends as INEC coordinators all over the country. Thw whole thing was doomed from the beginning.

Take this exercise for example, the obvious criteria for selecting the workers should have been, at least, a basic knowledge of computer. But when you go there, you see people who maybe have never booted a system in their lives. You see them picking the letters off their keyboards and fidgeting with the mouse. This obviously creates a delay of it's own!  undecided

I even had to babysit for one of the workers yesterday, just so she can leave the crying baby and attend to the long queue of people waiting to be registered . . .  and yet, I didn't register myself!   embarassed  embarassed  embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Accepts To Serve In Jonathan’s Government / 'Leave Abia State Alone'- Abia Special Adviser To Okorocha / Nigeria & South-Africa Aim To Strengthen Ties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.