Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,395 members, 7,958,141 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 09:34 AM

Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn (6701 Views)

Presidency Debunks Rumoured Sack Of Jega,asks Opposition To Desist From Inciting / INEC Set For Early Voter Registration – Jega / INEC Voter Registration: Eyewitness Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Jan 27, 2011
violent:

I believe the process would have been smoother if handled by telecommunication providers.

It's as easy as the government appointing two providers. . e.g MTN and glo.

Voters are instructed to go into any of their nearby offices to make registration, all details are the collected ad filed into a single national database. That would have prevented the brouhaha of missing DDC machines and untrained personnels.

^^^ The concern I have is not just for the number of DDC machines that had to be purchases for this exercise, but also the authenticity of the data collected. Someone posited that foreigners and underage members of the public were also being registered in some regions. This is bad.

I was under the assumption that enforcing data integrity was part reason for this exercise, So far, I am not convinced we have achieved this.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by POTUT(m): 6:11pm On Jan 27, 2011
I believe the process would have been smoother if handled by telecommunication providers.

It's as easy as the government appointing two providers. . e.g MTN and glo.

Voters are instructed to go into any of their nearby offices to make registration, all details are the collected ad filed into a single national database. That would have prevented the brouhaha of missing DDC machines and untrained personnels.

This will work fine in the State capitals and places like Warri & Aba. I bet you the remote LGA DO NOT have MTN/GLO offices.

We might as well save our breathes for complaining. It is a systemic problem. can we all stop to imagine for one second the following:

1. that NIPOST had evolved organically since Independence 50 years ago.
(Many people even in the hinterlands and valleys would have access to surface mail using REGISTERED P.M.Bs & P.O.Boxes that are close to them)

2. that FRSC had a reliable database since 1991 of our drivers licenses
(All persons 18 and above who drive would be known, finger-printed and face scanned every 3 years on expiration/renewal cycles)

3. that Land C of Os (for land ownership) were duly registered all over the country
(All persons rich enough to own land would be known)

4. that Birth & Death certificates were being tracked
(Of all the above, we would be able to identify new, active and inactive records and annotate as appropriate)

5. that our International Passport was being issued diligently by NIS
(All persons in the Diaspora would be known)

6. that NECO & JAMB (which are FULLY Nigerian Exam Bodies) students was being properly administered and recorded
(All our secondary school students sitting for the exam and becoming undergrads would be known to have reached voting age)

There are more Points of Reference, but the foregoing are just a few. The icing on the cake is that INEC would only need to constitute a SYNERGY Committee across board and using simple VENN DIAGRAM/SET THEORY, compile an accurate and up to date VOTERS REGISTER.

When the register is published, all persons who did not see their names on it can file a complaint and the same Synergy Committee would annotate as appropriate.

Are you all with me?
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by violent(m): 6:19pm On Jan 27, 2011
^^
You are right on that!

Let's even say for once Banks are on point with their database and registration systems, the federal government can arrange for a kind of data exchange or something of sort!

I wouldn't be surprised if come next election the FG is budgeting another 100 billion for voters registration. it's absurd really, nothing works in Nigeria, absolutely nothing
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2011
POTUT:

This will work fine in the State capitals and places like Warri & Aba. I bet you the remote LGA DO NOT have MTN/GLO offices.

We might as well save our breathes for complaining. It is a systemic problem. can we all stop to imagine for one second the following:

(Many people even in the hinterlands and valleys would have access to surface mail using REGISTERED P.M.Bs & P.O.Boxes that are close to them)

(All persons 18 and above who drive would be known, finger-printed and face scanned every 3 years on expiration/renewal cycles)

3. that Land C of Os (for land ownership) were duly registered all over the country

(Of all the above, we would be able to identify new, active and inactive records and annotate as appropriate)

6. that NECO & JAMB (which are FULLY Nigerian Exam Bodies) students was being properly administered and recorded
(All our secondary school students sitting for the exam and becoming undergrads would be known to have reached voting age)

There are more Points of Reference, but the foregoing are just a few. The icing on the cake is that INEC would only need to constitute a SYNERGY Committee across board and using simple VENN DIAGRAM/SET THEORY, compile an accurate and up to date VOTERS REGISTER.

When the register is published, all persons who did not see their names on it can file a complaint and the same Synergy Committee would annotate as appropriate.
Are you all with me?

I like the way you itemized that. Definitely would have gone better if INEC had taken advantage of those resources. That said, I am concerned about data !
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by POTUT(m): 7:21pm On Jan 27, 2011
If you are looking for data integrity, INEC would disappoint you.

Truly, they have nothing to cross reference with. The last national ID exercise was unsuccessful in 2001. People in the hinterland have nothing to show as identification before they can be registered.

Secondly, when the scanners were seen to be malfunctioning, some people were asked to register without scanning their fingers.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Moves: 7:31pm On Jan 27, 2011
POTUT:

Are you all with me?

It is not that they dont know the above, but it wont make them money, we have an Identity management centre but it is under utilised, That said biometric scanning in itself is time consuming and attempting to do it with untrained staffs. makes it more difficult, experienced this whilst scanning for the nigerian passport,

The most important thing am looking out for is the Data Integrity, centralised collation to ensure that it One man One Vote , the pains of registering and amount expended would be wasted if this is not achieved or abandoned midway, Cos knowing naija politicians and there desperation, One Biometric could be used for 10 names, All the other issues can be excused at the teething problem of a developing nation and a nation in technological  infancy
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by tlops(m): 8:27pm On Jan 27, 2011
One thing that I think will help us move forward as a nation is the use of Personal number/SS No (or whatever we choose to call it). One it will solve the problems of NPC and INEC to mention a few.

If there is a database of the populace u can extract data for (eligible) voters and just send them their voter's card. pple will not need to leave their jobs to queue for some "caricature" card.

I was surprised to receive my voters card last year (during the general election), I did not even know I was qualified to vote, until I was sent the card.

the govt should instead invest this money in such ventures.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by marcus1234: 9:13pm On Jan 27, 2011
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by IbroYaya: 9:23pm On Jan 27, 2011
I strongly agree that inec needs more funds, but this is as a result of the unprofessional manner the whole exercise was handled at the beginning.
Jega didnt do his homework well before commencing this exercise.  There should have been  a proper forecast of the exact time it will take to complete the registration. This would have been done by conducting a mock registration  to checkmate all the hitches in the process before commencing the proper exercise. If these were done earlier, he wouldn't have been asking for extension or more funds.

The fund should be given to him, because we just have to get this process right. Jega should be more professional.
This is just registration . What of if the main election comes? will be asking for extension or more funds?
Jega learn from this experience and move the nation forward.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Reference(m): 10:04pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ibro Yaya:

I strongly agree that inec needs more funds, but this is as a result of the unprofessional manner the whole exercise was handled at the beginning.
Jega didnt do his homework well before commencing this exercise.  There should have been  a proper forecast of the exact time it will take to complete the registration. This would have been done by conducting a mock registration  to checkmate all the hitches in the process before commencing the proper exercise. If these were done earlier, he wouldn't have been asking for extension or more funds.

The fund should be given to him, because we just have to get this process right. Jega should be more professional.
This is just registration . What of if the main election comes? will be asking for extension or more funds?
Jega learn from this experience and move the nation forward.

I don't quite agree with you here. Pls refer to the pictures posted by Violent on page 1. If I'm not mistaken are those not INEC materials dumped in a heap in full view of the public. Are they not supposed to be items of high security value. If someone drives in and helps himself with a truck load what will Jega say. Accountability and probity is non existent here and Jega does not deserve a cent more, credible elections or not. We should not accept a gun to our heads because we think INEC alone can guarantee credible elections. This waste has got to stop. If he feels he is serving this nation, then he and his men have to roll up their sleeves, work hard and make the necessary sacrifices for that to happen. They should not milk the nation dry because of our desperation. Utter rubbish. Free and fair elections ko, fee and fare elections ni.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by IbroYaya: 10:37pm On Jan 27, 2011
Reference:

I don't quite agree with you here. Pls refer to the pictures posted by Violent on page 1. If I'm not mistaken are those not INEC materials dumped in a heap in full view of the public. Are they not supposed to be items of high security value. If someone drives in and helps himself with a truck load what will Jega say. Accountability and probity is non existent here and Jega does not deserve a cent more, credible elections or not. We should not accept a gun to our heads because we think INEC alone can guarantee credible elections. This waste has got to stop. If he feels he is serving this nation, then he and his men have to roll up their sleeves, work hard and make the necessary sacrifices for that to happen. They should not milk the nation dry because of our desperation. Utter rubbish. Free and fair elections ko, fee and fare elections ni.

What you are saying is in order, but my point is that we just need to get this election process right in all aspects.

Inec have made their blunders and that is what is leading to this excess demand. Not giving them the required money will surely amount to the electoral failure.

My suggestion is that the money needed should be given first, after a successful conduct of the elections, then inec and its leadership can be probed
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by violent(m): 10:48pm On Jan 27, 2011
Ibro Yaya:

What you are saying is in order, but my point is that we just need to get this election process right in all aspects. 

Inec have made their blunders and that is what is leading to this excess demand.  Not giving them the required money will surely amount to the electoral failure.

My suggestion is that the money needed should be given first, after a successful conduct of the elections, then inec and its leadership can be probed

How do we even know that additional funds will simply make all our problems vanish?. . . .we don't!

If someone can mismanage 87 billion, what's to stop him from mismanaging an extra 6.6 billion?
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by pingpong1: 11:41pm On Jan 27, 2011
I could have done this registration for just 2 Billion - Materials and all. See hammering by Jega and co.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by 1025: 11:46pm On Jan 27, 2011
It wuld be beta if he's given d keys 2 d vault of d national treasury. So dat anytym he needs money, he can go take it by himself. All dese incessant request 4 money is tiring.

@Coolabbie,
u just said my mind. jonathan is under hostage now. he offended the northerners by taken over their second tenure and in other to make things up for them, he always want to make them happy.
let jonathan give jega a blank cheque to enable him collect funds at will.
we are just shouting at this level of registerations, what will nigerians do when the voting propare comes arround?
N87b plus N6.6b for just that black and white plain sheet of paper in the name of registeration card.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by mozkunzult: 12:02am On Jan 28, 2011
ooooooo jega don harmmer he should pls pay those that register like 20k each. that would be 120 million people x 20,000= 2.4billion change go still remain grin
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by mrtjchrist(m): 3:58am On Jan 28, 2011
, this is a colossal amount of money,
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 4:48am On Jan 28, 2011
violent:

How do we even know that additional funds will simply make all our problems vanish?. . . .we don't!

If someone can mismanage 87 billion, what's to stop him from mismanaging an extra 6.6 billion?

Have we concluded then that this was a case of mismanagement?
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by MMM2(m): 8:16am On Jan 28, 2011
oh God, some1 is get richer again.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by violent(m): 8:46am On Jan 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Have we concluded then that this was a case of mismanagement?

Mismanagement, shoddy planning, and Poor Judgement.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Dreamchaser1(f): 10:09am On Jan 28, 2011
Ok, me thinks jege should tell us how the previuos cash was spent, kobo for kobo, naira for naira and tell us how much is remaining, before asking for another. Shikina
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by 04kaa: 11:28am On Jan 28, 2011
6 what?
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by edey2real: 12:43pm On Jan 28, 2011
Don't even knw wat to say.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by tlops(m): 5:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
Anyway I need #20 million to register to vote. shocked shocked
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Dede1(m): 5:19pm On Jan 28, 2011
This is an insidious and reckless waste of resources to placate their so-called international community masters as a show of compliance to the insanity regarded as“new world order” doctrine.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by banom(m): 7:45pm On Jan 28, 2011
Jega wants to tactically finish our money all in the name of organizing 2011 election for us . Nawa ooo
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by poweredcom(m): 12:57am On Jan 29, 2011
Hay may be this man wan fnd way to pocket this 6.6 , after a hard work done, no profit///kai men na format wey im wan us hammer oooo
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 1:17am On Jan 29, 2011
banom:

Jega wants to tactically finish our money all in the name of organizing 2011 election for us . Nawa ooo

Jega is part of your Fresh Air campaign . . . so you ought to REJOICE!
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by mrofficial(m): 1:50am On Jan 29, 2011
Nowadays, all we hear is billion. hmmm, next level.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by bignaija(m): 5:14am On Jan 29, 2011
[size=30pt]cheap internet packages check my blog below [/size]
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by banom(m): 2:02pm On Jan 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Jega is part of your Fresh Air campaign . . . so you ought to REJOICE!

sorry . who told you i am campaigning ? i am only advocating for FRESH AIR IN MY DEAR COUNTRY NIGERIA.
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Kobojunkie: 4:21pm On Jan 29, 2011
banom:

sorry . who told you i  am campaigning ? i am only advocating for FRESH AIR IN MY DEAR COUNTRY NIGERIA.
Do you really walk around convinced all those around you are as gullible as you think them? undecided
Re: Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn by Wantintin: 12:17pm On Jan 31, 2011
Please when is the voters registration exercise ending. Please someone help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

INEC Recruiting APC Members As Adhoc Staff 4 Edo 2016 Gubernatorial Election:PDP / Even Tinubu Or Anybody Cannot Stop This Man From Becoming President! / I Regret Supporting Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.