Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty (56184 Views)

S. African Airways Reveals Upgraded Stylish Johannesburg Airport Lounge (PICS) / Johannesburg Lights Up For Christmas And Festive Season (PICS) / Lockdown: See How We Are Enjoying The Beautiful City Of Port Harcourt - PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by TMKsouth: 6:27pm On Jun 23, 2020
ghettochild:

Foreigners are blamed for everything like u see they already saying we ar d one making joburg dirty

I sympathize with you there. There's half truths and exaggeration in what they're saying. But to be honest, you have to ask why Joburg is the dirtiest whilst also the city with the highest foreign population. Most people don't feel a sense of entitlement to the city so they don't treat it like their home. So SA people look at the state of other African cities and begin joining the dots.

Personally, I think the SA government needs indoctrination schools where people are taught SA ethics like not littering. Hong Kong does it with people from mainland China. There's a lot of misunderstanding between locals and foreigners in SA that leads to these tensions.
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Minxie(f): 6:42pm On Jun 23, 2020
TMKsouth:

I sympathize with you there. There's half truths and exaggeration in what they're saying. But to be honest, you have to ask why Joburg is the dirtiest whilst also the city with the highest foreign population. Most people don't feel a sense of entitlement to the city so they don't treat it like their home. So SA people look at the state of other African cities and begin joining the dots.

Personally, I think the SA government needs indoctrination schools where people are taught SA ethics like not littering. Hong Kong does it with people from mainland China. There's a lot of misunderstanding between locals and foreigners in SA that leads to these tensions.

Actually that's not such a bad idea. I've also thought about it. There are several places dedicated to such orientation programs but unfortunately they aren't enough. I've noticed that there's a big difference between how we do things in SA and how people do it elsewhere and many foreigners struggle to adjust. They need some help to adjust to the new society. It's very unfair of us to just expect them to know how things work. Like people get so furious when someone just gets out of his/her car in the middle of the street to go buy something at a shop. Unfortunately many foreigners don't know that it pisses South Africans off. If you wanna piss people off, be a kak driver. So then obviously there's anger and frustration.

We definitely need government to assist refugees and others to learn their rights, the by-laws and cultures in SA. Also, there are some outright homophobic foreigners here who have no problem publicly shaming the LGBTQ community and it doesn't go well with locals. So I agree with you, we need programs. I actually want to volunteer at one here in Cape Town. If you have free time or anyone interested, you should look up these centres and give a helping hand. smiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by TMKsouth: 6:54pm On Jun 23, 2020
Minxie:

Actually that's not such a bad idea. I've also thought about it. There are several places dedicated to such orientation programs but unfortunately they aren't enough. I've noticed that there's a big difference between how we do things in SA and how people do it elsewhere and many foreigners struggle to adjust. They need some help to adjust to the new society. It's very unfair of us to just expect them to know how things work. Like people get so furious when someone just gets out of his/her car in the middle of the street to go buy something at a shop. Unfortunately many foreigners don't know that it pisses South Africans off. If you wanna piss people off, be a kak driver. So then obviously there's anger and frustration.

We definitely need government to assist refugees and others to learn their rights, the by-laws and cultures in SA. Also, there are some outright homophobic foreigners here who have no problem publicly shaming the LGBTQ community and it doesn't go well with locals. So I agree with you, we need programs. I actually want to volunteer at one here in Cape Town. If you have free time or anyone interested, you should look up these centres and give a helping hand. smiley

Standing in a queue is also something Nigerians struggle with in SA. Or being loud. That infuriates people! Blocking traffic with your car is also very inconsiderate.

People can't come here talking sh1t about South Africans, be they gay or anything else, that's for us to sort out - so disrespect wont be tolerated.

I'm actually also yearning to get involved in community service and I've noticed I've got a soft spot for the elderly and the poor. But I just never get to doing it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Minxie(f): 7:00pm On Jun 23, 2020
TMKsouth:

Standing in a queue is also something Nigerians struggle with in SA. Or being loud. That infuriates people! Blocking traffic with your car is also very inconsiderate.

People can't come here talking sh1t about South Africans, be they gay or anything else, that's for us to sort out - so disrespect wont be tolerated.

I'm actually also yearning to get involved in community service and I've noticed I've got a soft spot for the elderly and the poor. But I just never get to doing it.

Lol the differences are actually very funny. I have a friend who just threw whatever wrapper he had on the ground or out the window and after exploding with rage, i later had a talk with him about it and I told him that it will piss people off. My other friend kept wearing long jeans and t-shirts in summer and it was over 40 degrees every day. It took her quite long to learn that here we wear what the weather demands. Wearing shorts and a bikini top is completely normal. When she eventually left SA after getting her degree, she had a whole new wardrobe Lol !

You should get involved, it's very rewarding grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by TMKsouth: 7:21pm On Jun 23, 2020
Minxie:

Lol the differences are actually very funny. I have a friend who just threw whatever wrapper he had on the ground or out the window and after exploding with rage, i later had a talk with him about it and I told him
that it will piss people off. My other friend kept wearing long jeans and t-shirts in summer and it was over 40 degrees every day. It took her quite long to learn that here we wear what the weather 0 demands. Wearing shorts and a bikini top is completely normal. When she eventually left SA after getting her degree, she had a whole new wardrobe Lol !

@bold This is why SA people complain about the filth in Joburg.

Lol, cheesy When it comes to shorts and tees they are popular in CT and funny enough, Pretoria too. I've noticed not so much in Jhb. Maybe its the whole business vibe up here. Even convertible cars seem out of place in Jhb. But we know how to dress for the coast at least. cool

Okay, will try out some charity and let u know how it goes. My soul is yearning for it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by ghettochild(m): 7:21pm On Jun 23, 2020
TMKsouth:

Add me up on whatsapp
+27737839889
We need to get along
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by TMKsouth: 7:34pm On Jun 23, 2020
ghettochild:

Add me up on whatsapp
+27737839889
We need to get along

Will consider it.
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 23, 2020
Minxie:

Lol the differences are actually very funny. I have a friend who just threw whatever wrapper he had on the ground or out the window and after exploding with rage, i later had a talk with him about it and I told him that it will piss people off. My other friend kept wearing long jeans and t-shirts in summer and it was over 40 degrees every day. It took her quite long to learn that here we wear what the weather demands. Wearing shorts and a bikini top is completely normal. When she eventually left SA after getting her degree, she had a whole new wardrobe Lol !

I remembered the first time I littered when I moved to the Netherlands and was scolded by my teacher. I made sure I always found the nearest waste bin to dispose of any waste.

I agree when you said there needs to be some kind of re-orientation. It is common in some countries to dispose of waste wherever you deem fit.
If you don't re-orient migrants on the core norms and values of South Africa you can't get angry at them if they don't abide them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Minxie(f): 8:59pm On Jun 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

I remembered the first time I littered when I moved to the Netherlands and was scolded by my teacher. I made sure I always found the nearest waste bin to dispose of any waste.

I agree when you said there needs to be some kind of re-orientation. It is common in some countries to dispose of waste wherever you deem fit.
If you don't re-orient migrants on the core norms and values of South Africa you can't get angry at them if they don't abide them.

Unfortunately most South Africans don't know much about other African countries so they don't know that there is a difference in how things are done. They just assume that foreigners litter on purpose or drive kak on purpose.

Also, we react the same way to foreigners as we do to our own people. Like one day in the train this guy was sexually harassing this other colored girl. I feared for his life Lol because everyone knows you don't piss off a girl from the flats. And that girl was hardcore. Even the other South African guys had to calm down the situation out of fear that he might get hurt Lol ! Point is that that girl wanted to beat his ass up the same way she wouldve done if it was a South African guy. Anyway, these type of things may seem hostile to foreigners but it's actually just the way we are. We easily get angry when people don't act a certain way especially in public. I tell many foreigners to not get offended when people are a little rough because we are like that, very straight forward and we get to the point... sometimes a bit too harshly...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by ghettochild(m): 11:12pm On Jun 23, 2020
TMKsouth:

Will consider it.
Ok... Na ur hand e dey oo as it seem u r in diaspora too
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by TMKsouth: 11:15pm On Jun 23, 2020
ghettochild:

Ok... Na ur hand e dey oo as it seem u r in diaspora too

You lost me dude. Please say that in English. I'm South African.
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by JaceBlaze: 11:22pm On Jun 23, 2020
LeSudAfricaine:
Jayceon, the whole Diepkloof ext, Soweto looks better than Lekki trust me. No mall on Nigeria comes close to Soweto malls

I know my brother.Been there several times and I can tell you that this Lekki thing they keep bringing up is no match.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by TMKsouth: 11:24pm On Jun 23, 2020
LeSudAfricaine:
Jayceon, the whole Diepkloof ext, Soweto looks better than Lekki trust me. No mall on Nigeria comes close to Soweto malls

What are you talking about - we introduced them to malls. grin grin So dont stress about it too much. Here they are using Shoprite escalators as joyrides just recently. grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by TMKsouth: 11:41pm On Jun 23, 2020
Austine1212:

Soweto

And there's more from where this came from. cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Akinola100: 12:13am On Jun 24, 2020
SegFault:

Do your research properly animal of same sex mate bro. Let's remove religion from the equation please.
So are you trying to tell me that male and male or female and female animals mate?
Please, animals of same sex don't mate.
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by ghettochild(m): 1:10am On Jun 24, 2020
TMKsouth:

Means it's up to u. And i think u r in diaspora as well
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 24, 2020
Akinola100:
So are you trying to tell me that male and male or female and female animals mate?
Please, animals of same sex don't mate.
You haven't even done any research and you are just here going on and on.
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 24, 2020
TMKsouth:

You no sabi pidgin eya make una come carry una baco bag commot for road.
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 24, 2020
SegFault:

You no sabi pidgin eya make una come carry una baco bag commot for road.
gringringrin
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Jazzlite: 8:22am On Jun 24, 2020
TMKsouth:

Yep.
No meet-ups parties.. Long drives in convoys... Heck no Durban July this year.
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 24, 2020
Jazzlite:

No meet-ups parties.. Long drives in convoys... Heck no Durban July this year.

The would have just postponed it to October
Re: Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty by Akinola100: 9:16am On Jun 24, 2020
SegFault:

You haven't even done any research and you are just here going on and on.
Fine, I accept, but this country doesn't support the practice of homosexuality

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Young Lovers Die In A Motor Accident (Graphic Pictures) / South Africa Mulls Visa-free Status For Nigeria, China, India / Prince Charles Drives Classic 49 Year Old Aston Martin That Runs On White Wine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.