Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic (10831 Views)

The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria / Nigerian Fulani Militants Named As Fourth Deadliest Terror Group In World / 'Jonathan Refused To Approve Fourth Mainland Bridge' – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:00am On Jan 31, 2011
My map shows the boundaries. And I have been to these areas. I know the Yoruba areas of Benin. Togo is practically all Ewe in the Southern region. The Volta Region which is Ghana's Eastern section of the country is all Ewe.

Now how can you tell me what I have seen with my two eyes?

Plus, I have lived in Ghana and I used to go to Lome quite often?
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by ekubear1: 5:00am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche, take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Atakpam%C3%A9

We've been in Togo for 240+ years now.

That I think is enough time to qualify as natives.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Chyz2: 5:01am On Jan 31, 2011
alj harem:

a people living in western and southwestern Nigeria (10 to 12 million persons in 1972, according to rough estimates); Dahomey (more than 200, 000 persons), where they are called the Nago or Anago; and Togo, where a small number lives.

The ethnic Yoruba groups include the 6yo, Ife, Ijesha, and Egba. They all consider themselves a single people and have a single culture. They speak the Yoruba language, which has a number of dialects. The Yoruba language has its own literature; newspapers are published in the language, and it is used for instruction in the schools. Islam and Christianity coexist among the Yoruba, along with a polytheism with a well-developed pantheon of gods. States existed among the Yoruba long before the arrival of Europeans in West Africa (in the 15th century). The Yoruba were the creators of remarkable bronze and terra-cotta sculptures that flourished from the 12th to the 14th century and that were possibly associated with the more ancient Nok culture (end of the first millennium b.c.). The Yoruba art of bronze-casting was taken up by the Benin peoples. The chief occupation of the Yoruba is farming (yams, cacao). Among the Yoruba, developing capitalist relations are closely intertwined with strong survivals of earlier social structures.

REFERENCES
Ismagilova, R. N. Narody Nigerii. Moscow, 1963.
Forde, D. The Yoruba-speaking Peoples of Southwestern Nigeria. London, 1951.
Johnson, S. The History of the Yorubas: From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the British Protectorate. London, 1921.

Source?
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:02am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche_:

My map shows the boundaries. And I have been to these areas. I know the Yoruba areas of Benin. Togo is practically all Ewe in the Southern region. The Volta Region which is Ghana's Eastern section of the country is all Ewe.

Now how can you tell me what I have seen with my two eyes?

Plus, I have lived in Ghana and I used to go to Lome quite often?
alj harem:

was the same response from the Onidigny of Idigny, another Yoruba settlement in Benin as well as from the Onisakete of Sakete. With each Yorubaman expected to have an unlimited number of children, no wonder Yorubaland had, over the centuries, been able to extend to a vast area of West Africa, holding tenaciously to the inherited culture.

And when the European powers met in Berlin from 1884 to 1885 to partition Africa, Yorubaland was partitioned into three. One in Nigeria, the second in Benin and the third in Togo.

Although the Yoruba, today, are estimated at about 30 million in Nigeria, they are, according to the last population census, just about one million (15 per cent of the population) in Benin. The French encyclopaedic Dictionary Larousse (1988), put the figure for Togo also at one million, a figure which people say, is rather exaggerated.

Benin Republic is now made up of 12 provinces. Porto-Novo is the political capital of the country and it is there you have the parliament, even though, for reason of convenience and political calculations, the various heads of state have, since independence, preferred to stay in Cotonou.

Porto-Novo is called "Ajase" (or Ajache) by the Yoruba. The Gouns call it Hogbonu (or Hogbonou).

http://www.beninensis.net/benin_anango.htm

this is a website from benin

you need to know what you are talking about undecided

even the yorubas in benin are saying the same thing

tell me how ijaws jumped over itsekiris in delta and claim some part of ondo undecided
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:03am On Jan 31, 2011
eku_bear:

EzeUche, take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Atakpam%C3%A9

We've been in Togo for 240+ years now.

That I think is enough time to qualify as natives.

I know about that battle. The Oyo Empire was trying to help the Dahomey Kingdom against the Ashanti Empire. Last time I checked, Dahomey was not a Yoruba kingdom. It was a Fon Kingdom!
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Obiagu1(m): 5:03am On Jan 31, 2011
@ asha80, it seems you didn't understand what I was talking about. It's not about competing with them in their deveoped cities and towns, rather is about developing new towns and  cities on our own which may bear Igbo names.

I want future Igbo generations to study me like Eri is being studied. When you hear about a town in Gabon with an Igbo name, then know that it is that guy you were discussing with on NL. My thought about migration did not start together, only the thought of Gabon came up resently.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by ekubear1: 5:03am On Jan 31, 2011
Dude, the map you yourself posted shows it!

Nago = Yoruba.

The town mentioned is a Yoruba town.

Founded by the Yoruba people, Atakpamé, the fifth largest city in Togo by population (84,979 inhabitants in 2006), is a city in the Plateaux Region of Togo. It is an industrial centre and lies on the main north-south highway, 161 km north of the capital Lomé. It is also a regional commercial centre for produce and cloth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atakpam%C3%A9

So in what sense are Yoruba not native to Togo?
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:04am On Jan 31, 2011
alj harem:

this is a website from benin

you need to know what you are talking about undecided

even the yorubas in benin are saying the same thing

tell me how ijaws jumped over itsekiris in delta and claim some part of ondo undecided

I am not arguing about Benin. I already know there are Yorubas in Benin. But not in Togo.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:04am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche_:

I know about that battle. The Oyo Empire was trying to help the Dahomey Kingdom against the Ashanti Empire. Last time I checked, Dahomey was not a Yoruba kingdom. It was a Fon Kingdom!
dahomey was not what!!!!!!! what are you talking about brother,.,. learn your history

Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by asha80(m): 5:04am On Jan 31, 2011
physicsmhd thanks for the posts.

i can now understand the ill feelings towards igbos.it seems it is not a nigerian thing.why do i get the feeling too that the ghanian hostlity towards nigerians doing business in ghana is not because of the igbos there?
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:06am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche_:

I am not arguing about Benin. I already know there are Yorubas in Benin. But not in Togo.

Yoruba and Aja
The Yoruba and the Aja have been living togeteher betweenn Nigeria and Togo for cenruries. The Yoruba are spread East and West of the Aja who seems to be a later incursion in the region cutting the Yoruba into two. The Aja, made up principally of the Egun'Gun), Fon, Arada and other smaller groups in southern Benin are closeley related by language, belifes, economy, political and social systems. Large area of the Yoruba-Aja country were, at various periodss, under the same political authority.
They share the same origin: Ile-Ife. The Aja's supreme deity("Lisa" from the Yoruba "Orisa"wink is Mawu, no other person than the Yoruba Orisa "Orisa Nla" or Obotala, the divinty of creation. The Ajaq also practise the cult of the Yoruba Sango(Xevioso) and Esu'Legbara).

http://siyanbola.esmartweb.com/Aromiyo/Yoruba/yoruba.htm
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:07am On Jan 31, 2011
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:07am On Jan 31, 2011
yorubas writings in togo church
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:09am On Jan 31, 2011
Why are we even arguing about the Yoruba on an Igbo thread? grin grin grin
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by ekubear1: 5:10am On Jan 31, 2011
Anyway, let's not derail the thread with this discussion; I guess it is now clear that Yoruba are natives of Togo.

Back to Obiagu's idea to found a new homeland  grin
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:11am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche_:

Why are we even arguing about the Yoruba on an Igbo thread?  grin grin grin

oboy, you and chyz were arguing on something you do not know undecided

why
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:11am On Jan 31, 2011
eku_bear:

Anyway, let's not derail the thread with this discussion; I guess it is now clear that Yoruba are natives of Togo.

Back to Obiagu's idea to found a new homeland  grin

So the Ede Nago are Yoruba? Wonders never amaze me. Do they consider themselves Yoruba? shocked I find this new found information fascinating.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:12am On Jan 31, 2011
alj harem:

oboy, you and chyz were arguing on something you do not know undecided

why

I have lived in Ghana and been to Togo countless times. I didn't hear any Yoruba being spoken. Maybe because I was in Lome, which is in the Ewe heartland, that is why I didn't hear the language.

But you can say that there are no native Yorubas in GHANA!
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:12am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche, Oyo controlled Dahomey at some point and then lost control of them when they got more powerful hence the ascendancy (expansion) of the Fon which cleaved away the Western Yoruba called the Nago (an insulting name given to them by the Fon) of Togo from the rest of the Yoruba.

How hard is that to grasp?

Also, who are that group called "Bini" next to the Ashanti and all those other groups on that map you posted? Who are they? I kind of want to know where they got that name.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:13am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche_:

So the Ede Nago are Yoruba? Wonders never amaze me. Do they consider themselves Yoruba?  shocked I find this new found information fascinating.

yoruba people in togo grin grin grin grin grin grin

just like itsekiri cry cry cry
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by asha80(m): 5:13am On Jan 31, 2011
Obiagu1:

@ asha80, it seems you didn't understand what I was talking about. It's not about competing with them in their deveoped cities and towns, rather is about developing new towns and  cities on our own which may bear Igbo names.

I want future Igbo generations to study me like Eri is being studied. When you hear about a town in Gabon with an Igbo name, then know that it is that guy you were discussing with on NL. My thought about migration did not start together, only the thought of Gabon came up resently.

it will only make sense if the igbo language is preserved there otherwise it ould be a waste as you simply assimilate with the culkture there and your trace kaput.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Onlytruth(m): 5:14am On Jan 31, 2011
I really think that this thread was derailed by Obiagu and Ezeuche.

This Gabon thing should be a new thread on its own.

I ain't leaving Nigeria for anyone, rather I would even expand more in Nigeria.  cool

All I need is to be strong and courageous.

If I get a functioning international airport in Enugu from Jonathan's presidency, I would take it and wait for my turn.

Time has a way of favoring those who wait.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 5:16am On Jan 31, 2011
@ Harem,

WETIN CONCERN YOU YOU WERE INSULTING THE YORUBAS ON THE OTHER THREAD NOW YOU ARE SUPPORTING THEM undecided
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by ekubear1: 5:16am On Jan 31, 2011
I think Yoruba people peaked in the late 1700s, early 1800s. Then were great again in the Western region under Awolowo. Since then have been on the decline. . .  undecided

It pains me.

Some sort of malaise, and I don't know what caused it. . .

We need to be revitalized.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:16am On Jan 31, 2011
EzeUche_:

I have lived in Ghana and been to Togo countless times. I didn't hear any Yoruba being spoken. Maybe because I was in Lome, which is in the Ewe heartland, that is why I didn't hear the language.

But you can say that there are no native Yorubas in GHANA!

i know, who would believe itsekiris are part of yorubas undecided if i talk to an itsekiri man i would think he is an edo man

there are different diclent in yoruba i think undecided

if you go to togo today you would think there are no yorubas there but if you ask them they will tell you they are yorubas

there dressing and language is different just like itsekiri is undecided
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:18am On Jan 31, 2011
Onlytruth:

I really think that this thread was derailed by Obiagu and Ezeuche.

This Gabon thing should be a new thread on its own.

I ain't leaving Nigeria for anyone, rather I would even expand more in Nigeria.  cool

All I need is to be strong and courageous.

If I get a functioning international airport in Enugu from Jonathan's presidency, I would take it and wait for my turn.

Time has a way of favoring those who wait.

This thread has gotten interesting. Who cares if the thread was derailed? The discussion has turned historical.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 5:18am On Jan 31, 2011
alj harem:

i know, who would believe itsekiris are part of yorubas undecided if i talk to an itsekiri man i would think he is an edo man

there are different diclent in yoruba i think undecided

if you go to togo today you would think there are no yorubas there but if you ask them they will tell you they are yorubas

there dressing and language is different just like itsekiri is undecided

Never, ever, talk about my ethnic group. Two faced-idio.t!
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:18am On Jan 31, 2011
jason123:

@ Harem,

WETIN CONCERN YOU YOU WERE INSULTING THE YORUBAS ON THE OTHER THREAD NOW YOU ARE SUPPORTING THEM undecided

me insult yorubas where undecided

i love yorubas just like as i love igbos

in fact my name is now ALHAJI ABDULHAREM UCHEZE CIROMA TUNDE angry
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 5:19am On Jan 31, 2011
jason123:

Never, ever, talk about my ethnic group. Two faced-idio.t!

why are you angry undecided

you better claim the eff down
angry angry
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 5:20am On Jan 31, 2011
Wow! The Oyo Empire was truly a force to be reckoned with. They even defeated the mighty Asante Confederacy in battle. And anyone who knows the Asante people will understand that the Ashanti were warriors.

The Ashanti even raided their Muslim neighbors for slaves instead of the other way around.

It is interesting how the Ashanti terrorized their Muslim Northerners while Oyo was falling because of the Fulani conquest.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by asha80(m): 5:20am On Jan 31, 2011
eku_bear:

I think Yoruba people peaked in the late 1700s, early 1800s. Then were great again in the Western region under Awolowo. Since then have been on the decline. . .  undecided

It pains me.

Some sort of malaise, and I don't know what caused it. . .

We need to be revitalized.

the civil war affected the igbos better believe it.the war simply made the igbos to be more individualistic than they were previously.

as for the yorubas maybe they were victim of their own success(education wise)
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Obiagu1(m): 5:21am On Jan 31, 2011
asha 80:

it will only make sense if the igbo language is preserved there otherwise it ould be a waste as you simply assimilate with the culkture there and your trace kaput.

You're right. Igbo has to be spoken there since more Igbos will be attracted to the town if it is progressive.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

20 Taraba APC Aspirant Quit Party, Join UDP / Kaduna NURTW Pays Over N5m To Secure Release Of Kidnapped Drivers / Atiku: Nigerians Are Proud Of PDP's Records In 16 Years When Compared To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.