Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic (10834 Views)

The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria / Nigerian Fulani Militants Named As Fourth Deadliest Terror Group In World / 'Jonathan Refused To Approve Fourth Mainland Bridge' – Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Onlytruth(m): 6:08am On Jan 30, 2011
The president's own tribesmen are up in arms and some fools are here mourning "Igbo loss of power to Ijaw"
SMH!  cry cry
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 6:09am On Jan 30, 2011
My Struggle -

Main thesis: Nigerian Peril

How the Nigerian state has been able to keep the Igbo people in bondage. Our region used as vanquished territory. And always reminded of our defeat.

Nationalist vs. Secessionist

Christian Igbos vs. Muslim Hausa

Igbo elite vs. Igbo people

Igbo liberals vs. Igboist

Conclusion:
The rise of a new Igbo nation-state on the ashes of Nigeria.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 6:14am On Jan 30, 2011
EzeUche_:

My Struggle -

Main thesis: Nigerian Peril

How the Nigerian state has been able to keep the Igbo people in bondage. Our region used as vanquished territory. And always reminded of our defeat.

Nationalist vs. Secessionist

Christian Igbos vs. Muslim Hausa

Igbo elite vs. Igbo people

Igbo liberals vs. Igboist

Conclusion:
The rise of a new Igbo nation-state on the ashes of Nigeria.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;Dlol lol lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;Dlol lol lool grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

you are the funniest guy i have ever seen posting grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 6:20am On Jan 30, 2011
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. -Mahatma Gandhi

The laughed at a certain someone, until he improved his nation's arsenal, ripped apart a particular treaty and declared war. I will not name this person, but history always repeats itself.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by aljharem(m): 6:22am On Jan 30, 2011
EzeUche_:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. -Mahatma Gandhi

The laughed at a certain someone, until he improved his nation's arsenal, ripped apart a particular treaty and declared war. I will not name this person, but history always repeats itself.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin kai brother, no kill pesin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin
grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 6:26am On Jan 30, 2011
Ezeuche, you are disheartened but you are taking this overboard. Just ignore any fool that mocks himself not you,okay?
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by alex101(m): 6:38am On Jan 30, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: EzeUche_
The most important thing to note is that Jonathan is not representing the Ijaw. If he were, MEND would not be threatening to resume bombing of oil installations.

I really think that for the first time in a very loooooooooooong time, Ndigbo are actually doing first things first.

I am deeply suspicious of all these non-Igbos who write these articles as if the world would end if an Ijaw or any other Eastern minority operates at the center of evil Nigeria more than us.

NO THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT AND WE LOSE NOTHING.

These same people would wear masks and accuse us of dominating the Eastern minorities and always recite Eyo Ita issue.

Now they are crying that Ijaws are "ahead of Igbo" in national politics. Only a fool would believe that. cool
But even if so, why is it any of their business? Could they love us more than we love ourselves? Definitely not.

I would even want Ndigbo to wait until whenever Jonathan leaves office before attempting the presidency again.

Nigeria is not ending tomorrow, and even if it does, we will still have our Eastern brothers to live with.

Enuff said.

May the wisdom of Solomon and the greate Kings of old be with you and your lineage. AMEN!

@ Ezeuche and Obiaju, think very well, why are our enemies so concerned about our so called political well being all of a sudden. We wll get the no 1 spot at the appropriate time
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 6:40am On Jan 30, 2011
alex101:

May the wisdom of Solomon and the greate Kings of old be with you and your lineage. AMEN!

@ Ezeuche and Obiaju, think very well, why are our[size=14pt] enemies [/size]so concerned about our so called political well being all of a sudden. We wll get the no 1 spot at the appropriate time

SMDH!!!!
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by EzeUche2(m): 6:42am On Jan 30, 2011
alex101:

@ Ezeuche and Obiaju, think very well, why are our enemies so concerned about our so called political well being all of a sudden. We wll get the no 1 spot at the appropriate time

I am tired of waiting. 43 years is too long! Too long indeed. Sometimes you have to take it! Power recognizes power. If you are strong enough, you take it! I tire 4 these political games.

Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Kobojunkie: 6:47am On Jan 30, 2011
roflmao!!!
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Katsumoto: 6:56am On Jan 30, 2011
Ibime:

According to Obahiagbon, what did the Hoi Polloi of the Oduduwa Republic gain from Obasanjo's presidency?

You common folk should stop worrying about a couple of positions for some members of the parasitic elite who never filter anything down to you.

My kinsman GEJ is President ATM, but I don't see any dividends filtering down to the Ijaw people, now or in the next 8 years, except some friends and family members of his who would have greater access to the National cake.

Why should an umu-Igbo sit in his house in jand cheering on the likes of Nnanami, Orji, Odili or any other ingrate? Fa Fa Fa foul!

But like Eziachi said, Nigeria is a jungle where the masses hope for one of their tribesmen to have an opportunity to steal a piece of the National Cake whilst cheering helplessly from the sidelines.

In the words of the lyrical gymnast Patrick Obahiagbon, why should any reasonable Ndigbo cheer on his kinsman to join the purveyors of necrophilic nepotism and parasitic parapo-ism!!!

Nice one Ibime

Of what relevance is it to you if your kinsman is the president and your situation does not improve? Give me an Ibibio who will transform Nigeria and I'll take him over a dunce from my E.G.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by 9javoice1(m): 7:01am On Jan 30, 2011
who blv that south Africa will gain independent
who blv a black will ascend the throne of power in America
who blv that Ghana will ever rise again
who blv that Russia will remain in world super 5
who blv Nigeria will get independent without a war with the Brit's
who blv power will ever come a Yoruba in 1999
who will ever blv that an ijaw man will become Nigeria president today
who will ever blv that in a country like Nigeria the Hausa/Fulani group will be the super power
so nobody need to blv it before an igbo man ascend to the throne of power in Nigeria

sorry to say, all northern past Nigeria leaders disappointed the north, obasanjo abiola etc disappointed Yoruba's, gej is now disappointing the ijaws, so igbo leaders disappointing us is not so much big deal for now.

See, an ijawman is never a problem to an igbo man and an igbo man is not a problem to an ijaw man. we can see the strategy clearly, its simple for the igbos to turn from gej and loose Finlay,  'no' we ca never took that route they are our dear brothers. if we have differences we can settle it indoors. our main opponent is the Hausa/Fulani's.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Justcash(m): 7:02am On Jan 30, 2011
[b]You guys are getting it so wrong. What Igbos, and Easterners in general (Forget the freaking South south nonsense) need is outright separation from Nigeria as a nation. A nation of 50 million people, with less diversity in terms of culture will be easier to manage and control. This is not about resources, it is about having the political will, passion and chance to move a nation forward. The North, East and West are entirely different nations. They are naturally meant to exist on their own. This is why there will never be progress until Nigeria allows nature to take it's course.
Igbo presidency or Ijaw presidency will solve nothing. They are all the same set of politicians that can turn an Aboki dominated army on their people, if there is a protest against them. Look at what is happening in Egypt and compare it to what is happening in Jos. In Egypt, the police and military exercise alot of restraint when dealing with protesters. In Jos, Bornu, Maiduguri etc, the military and police aid their ethnic people to slaughter the Beroms, Igbos and Yorubas like rams. Will an Oduduwa army embark on a slaughtering spree in an Odudwa republic because their countrymen are protesting? Well, I know that a Biafran military will not kill Biafrans for carrying placards in the streets.
Igbos and Ijaws are Easterners (Going by the original arrangement of Nigeria). So, an Ijaw holding power is equal to an Igbo holding power. The simple reason why the Aboki politicians are restless is because their "South-South" Scheme used to divide Eastern Nigeria is working against them now.
Nigeria needs to divide simple and short.
[/b]
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by alex101(m): 7:04am On Jan 30, 2011
Only a fool will take this writer of  yoruba extraction as being "concerned" for Ndigbo political plight. Everybody seem to be trying to extinguish the fire in the SE while ignoring the fire that is engulfing their zone. To my Igbo brothers, I sense a "political trap" to set us against our eastern minorities. Our support for GEJ should not waver, we must remain steadfast in our support so as to put the Eyo Ita issue to rest once and for all.

The enemy is despearate and does not want to see a political union between SS and SE, hence trying to sow the seed of acrimony. Ohaneze saw this game of desperation and has defeated in their devilish game. The so called "experts" on Igbo affairs have a problem with a minority (Jonathan) ruling Nigeria, and Ndigbo does not.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Kobojunkie: 7:04am On Jan 30, 2011
[size=14pt]ROFLMAO!!![/size]
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by dempeople(m): 7:12am On Jan 30, 2011
I want:

1) A second niger bridge with 2 or more lanes on it.

2) Sorting of the issue of abandoned properties of PH.

3) Building a new international terminal at Enugu airport.

4) Finishing the Onitsha Riverport.

5) Creation of a 6th state for the SE to level with other zones in the federation.

6) Recognition of Anambra as an oil producing state which will come with benefits which other ND states enjoy such as increased Fed. allocation.

7) Building of power stations at Enugu to be powered by coal and natural gas respectively which would supply the SE and most of the SS with electricity.

8  Compensation of affected Ndigbo who had significant* cash in their bank accounts prior to the civil war. Though it might be cumbersome and illogical to do so, I'll settle for economic packages for the SE and SS to compensate them for the civil war and environmental pollution of their areas respectively.

9) Checkmating the erosion crisis ravaging the SE.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* = at least £1000 or more.

These are not too much to ask (or demand). I'll vote for anyone who would ensure these demands. Even Awo can have my vote from the grave as far as these demands are assured.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 7:14am On Jan 30, 2011
dem_people:

I want:

5) Creation of a 6th state for the SE to level with other zones in the federation.

6) Recognition of Anambra as an oil producing state which will come with benefits which other ND states enjoy such as increased Fed. allocation.

7) Building of power stations at Enugu to be powered by coal and natural gas respectively which would supply the SE and most of the SS with electricity.

8  Compensation of affected Ndigbo who had significant* cash in their bank accounts prior to the civil war. Though it might be cumbersome and illogical to do so, I'll settle for economic packages for the SE and SS to compensate them for the civil war and environmental pollution of their areas respectively.

9) Checkmating the erosion crisis raving the SE.

These are not too much to ask (demand). I'll vote for anyone who would ensure these demands. Even Awo can have my vote from the grave as far as these demands are assured.

HA,HA! Bros, you be thief? grin grin grin No region has that now.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by dempeople(m): 7:20am On Jan 30, 2011
jason123:

HA,HA! Bros, you be thief? grin grin grin No region has that now.

grin
For most of my points, I'm also talking about boosting Nigeria's economy and the creation of massive job opportunities. If there's gonna be an economic boom in Nigeria then, it must surely have to start from the SE otherwise, forget it.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:21am On Jan 30, 2011
Justcash:

[b]You guys are getting it so wrong. What Igbos, and Easterners in general (Forget the freaking South south nonsense) need is outright separation from Nigeria as a nation. A nation of 50 million people, with less diversity in terms of culture will be easier to manage and control. This is not about resources, it is about having the political will, passion and chance to move a nation forward. The North, East and West are entirely different nations. They are naturally meant to exist on their own. This is why there will never be progress until Nigeria allows nature to take it's course.
Igbo presidency or Ijaw presidency will solve nothing. They are all the same set of politicians that can turn an Aboki dominated army on their people, if there is a protest against them. Look at what is happening in Egypt and compare it to what is happening in Jos. In Egypt, the police and military exercise alot of restraint when dealing with protesters. In Jos, Bornu, Maiduguri etc, the military and police aid their ethnic people to slaughter the Beroms, Igbos and Yorubas like rams. Will an Oduduwa army embark on a slaughtering spree in an Odudwa republic because their countrymen are protesting? Well, I know that a Biafran military will not kill Biafrans for carrying placards in the streets.
Igbos and Ijaws are Easterners (Going by the original arrangement of Nigeria). So, an Ijaw holding power is equal to an Igbo holding power. The simple reason why the Aboki politicians are restless is because their "South-South" Scheme used to divide Eastern Nigeria is working against them now.
Nigeria needs to divide simple and short.
[/b]

1. There are lots of Ijaws in what was the Western region of Nigeria. I think asserting this idea of "Easterners" including Ijaws naturally when they might be a nation all on their own is not entirely accurate or honest. Wouldn't Ijaws in the East still have more in common with Ijaws in the West than they would have in common with other Easterners?

2. The "South- South" scheme seems to have Igbo, not Northern, origins: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-561386.0.html
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 7:21am On Jan 30, 2011
dem_people:

We're talking about boosting Nigeria's economy and the creation of massive job opportunities. If there's gonna be an economic boom in Nigeria then, it must surely have to start from the SE otherwise, forget it.

I was only mocking about. Bu, yeah, I feel you!
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Abagworo(m): 7:27am On Jan 30, 2011
A little piece from the archive.

Political Rivalry in Rivers State

By June 2001 , a rivalry had begun between Ijaw Chief Clark and Rivers Gov. Odili, whose position as governor of the region’s largest oil-producing state gave him control — with little transparency or oversight — over an annual budget of almost $1 billion (along with his government’s stake in illegal bunkering). The level of Rivers state revenues and those of its capital, Port Harcourt — hub of the entire oil-producing region — made Odili the Delta’s most powerful elected politician while Clark continued to pull the strings behind the scenes. Now that he was in the seat of power, Odili resented the challenge to state authority posed by the Clark-led INC and its activist wing, the IYC. While he was indeed a powerful politician in Rivers state, Odili was not an Ijaw. He was born into the minority Igbo tribe, the dominant tribe in the country’s “south- east geopolitical zone” (one of Nigeria’s six administrative regions; the Ijaw are the dominant tribe in the south-south zone). The fact that Odili’s tribal heritage was not Ijaw did not necessarily restrict his political power — oil income and PDP patronage gave him all the influence he needed.

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20090312_mend_nigeria_connecting_dots
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 7:30am On Jan 30, 2011
Abagworo:

By June 2001 , a rivalry had begun between Ijaw Chief Clark and Rivers Gov. Odili, whose position as governor of the region’s largest oil-producing state gave him control — with little transparency or oversight — over an annual budget of almost $1 billion (along with his government’s stake in illegal bunkering). The level of Rivers state revenues and those of its capital, Port Harcourt — hub of the entire oil-producing region — made Odili the Delta’s most powerful elected politician while Clark continued to pull the strings behind the scenes. Now that he was in the seat of power, Odili resented the challenge to state authority posed by the Clark-led INC and its activist wing, the IYC. While he was indeed a powerful politician in Rivers state, Odili was not an Ijaw. He was born into the minority Igbo tribe, the dominant tribe in the country’s “south- east geopolitical zone” (one of Nigeria’s six administrative regions; the Ijaw are the dominant tribe in the south-south zone). The fact that Odili’s tribal heritage was not Ijaw did not necessarily restrict his political power — oil income and PDP patronage gave him all the influence he needed.

What do you mean by this??
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by asha80(m): 7:43am On Jan 30, 2011
if only jason is a consistent guy.

your kinsman being a head of state might have carried weight during the millitery regime (ala abacha massively developing kano) but in this settting i do not see how it affects the commoner that presidents kinsman.

like i have said before,one yoruba guy came into s restaaurant where i was bragging about how igbo might not get presidency and all that only to later beg me for some money to help himself out of a situation only for me to tell him to go to ota and ask Obj.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Justcash(m): 7:43am On Jan 30, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

1. There are lots of Ijaws in what was the Western region of Nigeria. I think asserting this idea of "Easterners" including Ijaws naturally when they might be a nation all on their own is not entirely accurate or honest. Wouldn't Ijaws in the East still have more in common with Ijaws in the West than they would have in common with other Easterners?

2. The "South- South" scheme seems to have Igbo, not Northern, origins: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-561386.0.html

My point is that there is need to divide Nigeria. Let people choose their destinies. We cannot be tied down because Abokis needs to catch up.
If the South South decides that they want to be on their own, then why not? Igbos won't force them. Same with mid-belt and mid-westerners. But fact remains that we need to have the right to exercise how we want to exist before progress can be experienced.
Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is visibly Ijaw, yet with some sign of Igbo in him. So, If he has some Igbo blood flowing in him, then he is Igbo too. That is my point. Peter Odili is Igbo, but he is called a South Southerner.
There is need for Nigeria to divide into different parts. Until we do that, there will be no progress. It will continue to be 1 step forward, 50 steps backwards.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 7:49am On Jan 30, 2011
asha 80:

if only jason is a consistent guy.

your kinsman being a head of state might have carried weight during the millitery regime (ala abacha massively developing kano) but in this settting i do not see how it affects the commoner that presidents kinsman.

like i have said before,one yoruba guy came into s restaaurant where i was bragging about how igbo might not get presidency and all that only to later beg me for some money to help himself out of a situation only for me to tell him to go to ota and ask Obj.

Bro, all what I do with ezeuche and co is all jokes. Do not take me serious on those threads. Infact, I say it's all jokes before I leave such threads.
@ your reply
You said the absolute truth. It makes no difference whether their is your man there or my man. Its all the same.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Abagworo(m): 7:56am On Jan 30, 2011
jason123:

What do you mean by this??

I was just referring us to the point where Igbo lost relevance in Nigerian politics.The Edwin Clarke vs Odili feud was the political defeat of Igbo by Ijaw.Odili would have emerged Yar'Adua's VP and would have been our serving President.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by alex101(m): 8:00am On Jan 30, 2011
Justcash:

My point is that there is need to divide Nigeria. Let people choose their destinies. We cannot be tied down because Abokis needs to catch up.
If the South South decides that they want to be on their own, then why not? Igbos won't force them. Same with mid-belt and mid-westerners. But fact remains that we need to have the right to exercise how we want to exist before progress can be experienced.
Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is visibly Ijaw, yet with some sign of Igbo in him. So, If he has some Igbo blood flowing in him, then he is Igbo too. That is my point. Peter Odili is Igbo, but he is called a South Southerner.
There is need for Nigeria to divide into different parts. Until we do that, there will be no progress. It will continue to be 1 step forward, 50 steps backwards.

You are very correct, but haven't you realise that we have the "e go better" people who don't want to leave nigeria but will do everything possible to keep people like you in that nigerian dungeon. They will tell you that we need each other, we will be more powerful by staying together, blah, blah,

For me, thees are the people I fear more in terms of any secession than any govt./aboki action.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by jason123: 8:06am On Jan 30, 2011
alex101:

You are very correct, but haven't you realise that we have the "e go better" people who don't want to leave nigeria but will do everything possible to keep people like you in that nigerian dungeon. They will tell you that we need each other, we will be more powerful by staying together, blah, blah,

For me, thees are the people I fear more in terms of any secession than any govt./aboki action.

. . . . and this is where tribalism enters the discussion. Who are the "e go better" people? and why do you fear them more than the northerners? Why do you always blame the "e go better" people for anything?? Even if there is rain, you would still blame the "e go better" people, why??

Shango thor and Ezeuche
, this is the bad blood I was talking about that you did not believe.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:07am On Jan 30, 2011
Justcash:

I'm not denying that Nigeria would be better if split, nor am I denying that Jonathan is part Igbo.

What you seem not to have put even the least thought into is how it will be split, hence your assumption that Ijaws will go with the defunct Eastern region based on some similarities of culture.

I am advocate of a split, but blind secession is just a costly way to fail.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by dempeople(m): 8:08am On Jan 30, 2011
jason123:

Bro, all what I do with ezeuche and co is all jokes. Do not take me serious on those threads. Infact, I say it's all jokes before I leave such threads.
@ your reply
You said the absolute truth. It makes no difference whether their is your man there or my man. Its all the same.

My demands are still up. Tell your kinsmen (Itsekiris) and your cousins (Yorubas) to come on board and satisfy those demands for the benefit of all. Those demands constitute a major roadmap to the economic boom of Southern Nigeria.  cool

Abagworo:

By June 2001 , a rivalry had begun between Ijaw Chief Clark and  Rivers Gov. Odili, whose position as governor of the region’s  largest oil-producing state gave him control — with little  transparency or oversight — over an annual budget of almost  $1  billion (along with his government’s stake in illegal  bunkering). The level of Rivers state revenues and those of its  capital, Port Harcourt — hub of the entire oil-producing region  — made Odili the Delta’s most powerful elected politician  while Clark continued to pull the strings behind the scenes.  Now that he was in the seat of power, Odili resented the  challenge to state authority posed by the Clark-led INC and its  activist wing, the IYC. While he was indeed a powerful politician  in Rivers state, Odili was not an Ijaw. He was born into the  minority Igbo tribe, the dominant tribe in the country’s “south- east geopolitical zone” (one of Nigeria’s six administrative  regions; the Ijaw are the dominant tribe in the south-south  zone). The fact that Odili’s tribal heritage was not Ijaw did not  necessarily restrict his political power — oil income and PDP  patronage gave him all the influence he needed.

I wouldn't necessarily agree categorically that the Ijaw defeated Ndigbo for V.P slot of 2007. Even Clarke knew that victory never emanated from him but from forces beyond in Abuja. The powers that be saw to it that Odili wouldn't emerge. It wasn't even as simple as, that the SS were more politically savvy, attractive etc. Sometimes I feel that Ekwueme and other Igbo leaders never played their cards right on time or maybe, they were much more preoccupied with producing the President without much thought for other aspects of power.
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Chyz2: 8:23am On Jan 30, 2011
dem_people:

I want:

5) [s]Creation of a 6th state for the SE to level with other zones in the federation. [/s]

6) [s]Recognition of Anambra as an oil producing state which will come with benefits which other ND states enjoy such as increased Fed. allocation[/s].

8  [s]Compensation of affected Ndigbo who had significant* cash in their bank accounts prior to the civil war. Though it might be cumbersome and illogical to do so, I'll settle for economic packages for the SE and SS to compensate them for the civil war and environmental pollution of their areas respectively.
[/s]
9) Checkmating the erosion crisis ravaging the SE.

These are not too much to ask (or demand). I'll vote for anyone who would ensure these demands. Even Awo can have my vote from the grave as far as these demands are assured.

#5. Never give a exact number of states.It is better to ask for the equal amount as every other region. If all have 6 already and you all are given one more,which is likely to happen, you will still be marginalized.All will have 7 or 8 while you just have 6.

#6.Its better the oil stays untapped,"Onye ma echi".

#8. We showed ourselves to be resilient and we were able to elevate ourselves from the ashes to once again be the most wealthiest tribe in nigeria.Our ethnic story of From rags to riches is embedded in the history books. We need no reparations.

cool
Re: Ndigbo In The Fourth Republic by Onlytruth(m): 8:29am On Jan 30, 2011
Posted by: Abagworo

I was just referring us to the point where Igbo lost relevance in Nigerian politics.The Edwin Clarke vs Odili feud was the political defeat of Igbo by Ijaw.Odili would have emerged Yar'Adua's VP and would have been our serving President.

This statement is wrong on several fronts. Frankly, you don't sound Igbo these days. undecided

There was NEVER a competition between Igbo and Ijaw for the VP position in 2007.
Peter Odili wasn't even gunning for VP. He was gunning for president. It all began and ended with Obasanjo and some Northern power brokers. Odili was the front runner to succeed Obasanjo until few days to the PDP presidential primary when Obasanjo did a volte-face and chose Yar adua instead.

The forces that chose Jonathan for VP position over any other southerner had their own agenda, and Ijaw had NOTHING to do with it, unless if you believe that MEND forced them.  undecided

Unfortunately for them, their plan is backfiring because Jonathan realizes that he cannot rule Nigeria without solid Igbo backing, and he set out to free himself by firing the army chief and reorganizing the military in ways they never expected. Now they are running around like headless chicken.
This story is part of a desperate scheme to incite the Igbo against their minority neighbors.
Make no mistake about it, the main "boogieman" in Nigeria is the Igbo. NEVER FORGET THAT.

I will repeat it again: There is no competition between Ndigbo and any of the minority groups in Eastern and southern Nigeria.

NONE WHATSOEVER.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Raphael Igbokwe Defects To APC / Petrol Price Hike, Water Resources Bills Test Senate’s Representation Role / Terrorism: Court Strikes Out Kanu’s Suit Against CJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.