Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality (33270 Views)

Mohbad Appears On New York Times Square’s Billboard (Video) / Dan Foster Dies Of COVID-19 Disease - Independent.ng / Tiwa Savage's 49-99 Appears On New York Times Square Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by YaksonFCA(m): 2:35pm On Jun 27, 2020
RIP the Big Dawg
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by darams4all(m): 3:10pm On Jun 27, 2020
The big dawg with the unique voice. I miss this man. He transformed radio broadcasting in Nigeria. Such a smooth talker. I miss this man. Never believed you could leave so soon.
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by emerich(m): 3:11pm On Jun 27, 2020
Theoarhics:
This man gave me hope back then when I was living in Lagos as far back as 2001- 2004 as a houseboy with all the maltreatment and pains I went thru ,hearing his voice on cool Fm 96.9 gave me some kind of joy. It made me bare the abuses for sometime instead of running away back to Benin. I love you Dan...will always remember you
You write so brilliantly, considering your past and how you began.....

2 Likes

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by Iceiscold: 3:18pm On Jun 27, 2020
No radio fan even those of us outside eko who nu know Dan Foster...such a great radio icon.rip

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by 2shure: 3:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
I liked him during idols as a judge
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by Ladymillion(f): 3:33pm On Jun 27, 2020
Goodnite big Dawg!
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by iammarvellux(m): 3:58pm On Jun 27, 2020
Will miss that voice so much.

Rest in peace BIG DAWG.

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by judedwriter(m): 4:02pm On Jun 27, 2020
Dan foster made me fall in love with radio.

His voice was so unique and he was such an entertainer. I never had a dull moment listening to him.

At least, thank God he fulfilled his destiny doing what he knows how to do best on radio... Rip Dan, thanks for the priceless moments on radio.

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by OJURONGBE1(m): 4:04pm On Jun 27, 2020
tommy589:

He made listening to radio presentation interesting to many. I used to wonder what was offered to him as salary to choose working as a presenter here. I now understand why

Rip

In one of the interview he granted last year, his take home salary was 1.6m a month before he left cool FM for inspiration FM. That aside other pay he earned anchoring shows like idols .
Imagine getting paid that much for what you love to do.

3 Likes

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by chyket(m): 4:12pm On Jun 27, 2020
I never met this Guy in person but I felt a personal loss when I learnt He is dead.
I never missed his early morning shows during my banking days in the early 2000s and he was very vibrant and unique in his radio presentations.
May his soul rest in perfect peace Amen.

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by Okoroawusa: 4:45pm On Jun 27, 2020
Dan Foster died at the wrongest time!

Chai!....onwu di njo!
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by Theoarhics: 4:57pm On Jun 27, 2020
emerich:

You write so brilliantly, considering your past and how you began.....

Thanks. I'm now a banker.
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by emerich(m): 5:41pm On Jun 27, 2020
Theoarhics:

Thanks. I'm now a banker.
Wow! So cool, you never let your humble beginning serve as a deterrent to your success story, keep soaring high bro....
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by TamiOkoroDedeh(f): 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2020
I was already a fan of Cool FM when I first tuned in 1999. Mark Silvia, another American, handled the Good Morning Nigeria Show and he wasn't bad, but I also loved Dare, then a Music student at UniLag. I can still remember the very first time I heard Dan Foster. I wondered why Mark's voice had changed until I realised it wasn't Mark. Something drew me to this boisterous American, and before long I became a huge fan. Listening to the GMN Show became a ritual I never missed, and my father nearly banned me from listening to him, but to me Dan was king. Nigerian radio didn't know what had hit it, but boy, were we ready.

This wasn't the first time an American accent mesmerised us on air - IBC FM Owerri gave us Paulina Anyanwu in the 80's - but how many media personalities inspired their audience? He always had a story to tell, and most were funny, especially his encounter with Japanese prostitutes as a US Marine, or the relationship with his father back in Washington. Before long I developed a serious crush on him, but stoppef listening when I discovered he'd already found a girlfriend.

I left Nigeria in 2003 but continued to follow his progress. He became a judge on West African Idols and Nigeria's Got Talent, and even had planned to open his own radio station, but that was never to be. Dan inspired a new breed of Nigerian OAPs, thus expanding the media industry, but most importantly he was one of us. He believed in this country more than the average Nigerian did, and he stayed with us despite the circumstances we faced as a nation. Yes, he was no angel (Three girlfriends in different parts of the country?), but he had a beautiful family when he eventually settled down, and my heart breaks for those children he left behind.

Thank you for everything Dan, and rest in peace. We shall never forget you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by higgs: 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2020
RIP

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by glad7: 6:49pm On Jun 27, 2020
May his gentle soul rest in peace
Amen.
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by emeone: 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2020
Your Sunday programme was the Best!
Sleep well.
Till we meet again!
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by Theoarhics: 9:35pm On Jun 27, 2020
emerich:

Wow! So cool, you never let your humble beginning serve as a deterrent to your success story, keep soaring high bro....

Thanks again
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by Ayobami7(m): 10:01pm On Jun 27, 2020
Rip
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by bhella10: 10:39pm On Jun 27, 2020
OLDESTWARRIBOY:
When will New York times pay tributes to Abba Kyari & Abiola Ajimobi.

After all the looting sent to USA, sending their kids to study there, did'nt Mr kyari studied there as well? All the medical tourism?

We won't take this.
Somebody help me with that Orubebe Meme

ogbeni gb'enu e soun pelu Kati Kati. Ki la wi ki lo n so? Oin....
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by kcbaba007: 12:31am On Jun 28, 2020
ikorodureporta:

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/obituaries/dan-foster-dead-coronavirus.html

Dan foster told me too that he would want to start a radio station..... When I met him in lekki..... I'm a great fan of his

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by EagleSquare1(m): 1:29am On Jun 28, 2020
Rest Peacefully Dan Foster.
God knows how much we’ll miss you. You were Godsent. Your voice was just all we needed to calm down in the heat of the heavy traffic of the Lagos roads. Ride on Top Dawg, we are right you.
Be restful on the fact that your wife and kids are in good hands. We love you Dan!

ikorodureporta:

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/obituaries/dan-foster-dead-coronavirus.html

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by gentlestdude(m): 4:03am On Jun 28, 2020
anonymous1759:
The good old days of coolfm. ( Rickdicks dees top 40,Sunday request show, Sunday gospel in the morning.) Dan Forster, Daddy freeze was just Freeze back then, Valerie, Ejike Nigeria's must fly Gbemi, olisa etc) all these guys made Radio Fun RIP Dan.
Please add Tosin bucknor 'Area mama'

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by Jarus(m): 7:48am On Jun 28, 2020
OLDESTWARRIBOY:
When will New York times pay tributes to Abba Kyari & Abiola Ajimobi.

After all the looting sent to USA, sending their kids to study there, did'nt Mr kyari studied there as well? All the medical tourism?

We won't take this.
Somebody help me with that Orubebe Meme

Do your search well before writing.

UK’s The Economist is as influential as NYT.

This is their tribute to Kyari

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2020/04/23/abba-kyari-who-tried-to-clean-up-nigeria-dies-of-covid-19
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 9:48am On Jun 28, 2020
Jarus:

Do your search well before writing.

UK’s The Economist is as influential as NYT.

This is their tribute to Kyari

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2020/04/23/abba-kyari-who-tried-to-clean-up-nigeria-dies-of-covid-19

What about Abiola
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by emmykey0128(m): 10:33am On Jun 28, 2020
Rickdeees and d weekly top 40 was d bomb,
I leave church early so that can come home to listen to it on my small palito radio, Dan foster good morning show, olisa, cool daddy freez,,chemistry, lakeside, mhen I miss coolfm that year, RIP dan foster ariya riya lol
anonymous1759:
The good old days of coolfm. ( Rickdicks dees top 40,Sunday request show, Sunday gospel in the morning.) Dan Forster, Daddy freeze was just Freeze back then, Valerie, Ejike Nigeria's must fly Gbemi, olisa etc) all these guys made Radio Fun RIP Dan.

2 Likes

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by bassette(m): 12:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
ikorodureporta:

I feel his loss so bad. He had such a big influence on his audience including me. Rest on "Big Dawg".. Always love you
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by bassette(m): 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
TamiOkoroDedeh:
I was already a fan of Cool FM when I first tuned in 1999. Mark Silvia, another American, handled the Good Morning Nigeria Show and he wasn't bad, but I also loved Dare, then a Music student at UniLag. I can still remember the very first time I heard Dan Foster. I wondered why Mark's voice had changed until I realised it wasn't Mark. Something drew me to this boisterous American, and before long I became a huge fan. Listening to the GMN Show became a ritual I never missed, and my father nearly banned me from listening to him, but to me Dan was king. Nigerian radio didn't know what had hit it, but boy, were we ready.

This wasn't the first time an American accent mesmerised us on air - IBC FM Owerri gave us Paulina Anyanwu in the 80's - but how many media personalities inspired their audience? He always had a story to tell, and most were funny, especially his encounter with Japanese prostitutes as a US Marine, or the relationship with his father back in Washington. Before long I developed a serious crush on him, but stoppef listening when I discovered he'd already found a girlfriend.

I left Nigeria in 2003 but continued to follow his progress. He became a judge on West African Idols and Nigeria's Got Talent, and even had planned to open his own radio station, but that was never to be. Dan inspired a new breed of Nigerian OAPs, thus expanding the media industry, but most importantly he was one of us. He believed in this country more than the average Nigerian did, and he stayed with us despite the circumstances we faced as a nation. Yes, he was no angel (Three girlfriends in different parts of the country?), but he had a beautiful family when he eventually settled down, and my heart breaks for those children he left behind.

Thank you for everything Dan, and rest in peace. We shall never forget you.

This is the best tribute I have read on Dan.. Thank you for putting this out.
Thank you Dan

1 Like

Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by bassette(m): 12:58pm On Jun 28, 2020
Theoarhics:
This man gave me hope back then when I was living in Lagos as far back as 2001- 2004 as a houseboy with all the maltreatment and pains I went thru ,hearing his voice on cool Fm 96.9 gave me some kind of joy. It made me bare the abuses for sometime instead of running away back to Benin. I love you Dan...will always remember you
This touched me. Life is beautiful..isn't it?
Love you Dan
Re: Dan Foster: New York Times Pays Tribute To Late Radio Personality by XAUBulls: 9:08am On Jan 02, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Linda Osifo Grants Her Mother's Wish With Surprise Visit In Canada (Pix, Video) / Alexreports With His Wife & Two Kids - Churchill & Maduka (video, Photos) / D.J Cuppy Takes A Pose With A Nairalander.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.