Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,027 members, 7,956,803 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:27 PM

Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book (4742 Views)

How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino / Some Igbo Folklore Songs Long Forgotten / Google Honours Olaudah Equiano, Freed Slave Who Supported The British Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AmuDimpka: 10:38am On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

And you didnt post thier aftermath screenshot and ogbemudia took back edo state and drove the Flattino soldiers.....

If we the weaponries to defend ourselves, we will conquer the full south east without sweat

Abi you think say we be yoruba

Mugu

Mouth... Conquer gelegele first be lfore we can take you serious with your two LGA which is Egor and Oredo

LoL
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by davidnazee: 11:13am On Jun 30, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Aya Idu na Oba was fought by Anioma communities in Delta State. Agbor, Ubulu-Uku, the Umuezechime clans in Aniocha, Ibusa, etc. No Southeast community fought any Aya Idu na Oba. If you claim otherwise mention one SE town that fought any such war and back it up with references.

A Facebook post from an obscure unknown person ranting incoherently about Annunaki and Sumer and Atlantis is not a reference, sir. I can go on my Facebook wall this minute and type that my village warriors in Illah flew on tortoises to Mexico to help Emperor Montezuma fight the Spanish, and someone will share the link as evidence that it happened. Give me a proper reference from a reliable source. A link that mentions specific towns in the Southeast that went to war with Benin. This thing is not a reference.

Please can you provide evidence that Aya idu na oba was fought by the western Igbos and not the easterners.

It’s not only a Facebook post.. there are many articles about the story.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by davidnazee: 11:15am On Jun 30, 2020
Shiver99:

Nope, that never happened.
He was simply reciting the poor and crude knowledge of Africa that was prevalent in Europe then. From the perspective of Europeans then, the kingdom of Benin stretched all the way from western Nigeria to east Africa, neighbouring modern day Ethiopia. This was because these were the few Africans they had actually met.

Think of it this way, in the minds of Nigerians every Asian with slitted eyes and white skin is Chinese. Except this comes from generalisation and not just pure Ignorance like the Europeans . Asians reading historical Nigerian literature, if they didn't know their history, would assume every oriental Asian i.e Cambodian, Laotian, Vietnamese, Kazakhstan, were part of a secret ancient Chinese empire.

Olaudah made sure to clarify after saying that his town was under benin ; that he nor anybody he knew had ever heard of the benin empire in their lives.

Please provide evidence of this clarification by Olaudah.. if you can’t then Olaudah is right that Benin Kingdom ruled over southeast Igbos too.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by RedboneSmith(m): 11:19am On Jun 30, 2020
davidnazee:

Please can you provide evidence that Aya idu na oba was fought by the western Igbos and not the easterners.

It’s not only a Facebook post.. there are many articles about the story.

You're the one saying the southeast fought Aya Idu. Therefore the onus is on you to prove it., not me. 'There are many articles'. Bring them.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by gregyboy(m): 11:29am On Jun 30, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Mouth... Conquer gelegele first be lfore we can take you serious with your two LGA which is Egor and Oredo

LoL

Gelegele has already been ocvupied by benins and the ijsw chiefs has been released after he begged
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AreaFada2: 1:43pm On Jun 30, 2020
davidnazee:

It’s in recorded history bro, if you research you will find.
The first educated Igbo man, Olaudah Equiano born 1725, wrote in his book about his birth place in present day Anambra state and said they were ruled by the Benin Kingdom and subjects to the Oba of Benin.
Davidnaze, gregyboy

These people say things that confirmed Olaudah's Igboness are correct, but when it comes to those that show Benin sovereignty over Igbo land, they say he was too young to know correctly. grin cheesy

But something interesting came up I think at number 4. It shows what we have always said that just 200 years ago, a single Igbo identity didn't exist. Same in Yorubaland.

Whereas by 1470s, Europeans were already writing about Benin Empire, its powerful king and his dominance over huge parts over that area of West Africa. People can try to hide the truth, but truth is like pregnancy, you cannot hide it forever.

They Yorubas claim that a Benin man told Europeans that there was one powerful "Organe" inland. They believe that story, but not others written by Europeans. So why did the European not go to seek out the so called more powerful "Organe"? grin cheesy

Organe, if such even existed, may well have been a shrine or priest somewhere inside Benin Empire, who knows?

Fact is in what is now Southern Nigeria, there were only small tribal chiefdoms. Both in Igbo & Yorubaland. Only Oyo later captured some other Yoruba chiefdoms. About 240 years after Benin grew as an empire in 1440 AD.

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by gregyboy(m): 1:56pm On Jun 30, 2020
AreaFada2:

Davidnaze, gregyboy

These people say things the confirmed Olaudah's Igboness are correct, but when it comes to those that show Benin sovereignty over Igbo land, they say he was too young to know correctly. grin cheesy

But something interesting came up I think at number 4. It shows what we have always said that just 200 years ago, a single Igbo identity didn't exist. Same in Yorubaland. Whereas by 1470s, Europeans were already writing about Benin Empire, its powerful king and his dominance over huge parts over that part of West Africa. People can try to hide the truth, but truth is like pregnancy, you cannot hide it forever.

They Yorubas claim that a Benin man told Europeans that there was one powerful "Organe" inland. The believe that story, but not other written by Europeans. Why did the European not go to seek the socalled more powerful "Organe"? grin cheesy

Fact is in what is now Southern Nigeria, there were only small tribal chiefdoms. Both in Igbo & Yorubaland. Only Oyo later captured some other Yoruba chiefdoms. About 240 after Benin grew as an empire in 1440 AD.

Nor mind dem, naso one igbo osagyefo98 Said his aim is to denial benin and anioma people any from of historical connections inorder to make perfect Biafra country
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Nor mind dem, naso one igbo osagyefo98 Said his aim is to denial benin and anioma people any from of historical connections inorder to make perfect Biafra country

Which is a fact.

There is no need encouraging what is not existing and as such should be rooted out.

Those encouraging or agree to such myth or stories do so out of Ignorance.

Their history starts and ends in Igboland.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 30, 2020
AreaFada2:

Davidnaze, gregyboy

These people say things the confirmed Olaudah's Igboness are correct, but when it comes to those that show Benin sovereignty over Igbo land, they say he was too young to know correctly. grin cheesy

But something interesting came up I think at number 4. It shows what we have always said that just 200 years ago, a single Igbo identity didn't exist. Same in Yorubaland. Whereas by 1470s, Europeans were already writing about Benin Empire, its powerful king and his dominance over huge parts over that part of West Africa. People can try to hide the truth, but truth is like pregnancy, you cannot hide it forever.

They Yorubas claim that a Benin man told Europeans that there was one powerful "Organe" inland. The believe that story, but not other written by Europeans. Why did the European not go to seek the socalled more powerful "Organe"? grin cheesy

Fact is in what is now Southern Nigeria, there were only small tribal chiefdoms. Both in Igbo & Yorubaland. Only Oyo later captured some other Yoruba chiefdoms. About 240 after Benin grew as an empire in 1440 AD.

Igbos are Republican in nature and not aggressor looking for who to lord over or rule. They maintain their space without inch of it moving...

So the history of bini-igbo doesn't match at all and as such....such tales must be discouraged.

On the other hands Bini-Yoruba narratives, the money you try to break it, the more it tangles together. Both are same coin with same history and historical connection. If Someone can answer Tunde, Olusegun, Abidemi etc in Bini then it shows clearly how far the two are inter-twined.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
davidnazee:

Mugu I guess China was afraid or weak that’s why they built a wall..
indigenous people of Agbor are not Igbo. Go and ask their Obi.. he is the ruler of Agbor.

Your Biafra ends on the eastern side of river Niger.

Lol

Are you sure, you aren't into land grabbing business?

We have yorubas on open arms waiting for their brothers(Edo) to come back and here u are looking the other way to grab land.

Be guided.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, when an inyamiris is pained slander becomes is tool

We were all here on nairaland when fellow nlanders were crying on behalf of ijaw, and we heard all forms bullshit talks from ijaw and how they will rain cat and dog on edo people, if dem do anyhow.....
Thier king ended up jailed thesame nalander cried on thier behalf too

See igbo man, we aint yorubas you tell shit, if una do anyhow una go see anyhow anofia.....

Mumu igboman

Mugu wen you be

Why cursing him?

He is only protecting his territory from external aggression.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by RedboneSmith(m): 3:05pm On Jun 30, 2020
The funny thing here is that I even come from the so-called Western Igbo, where Benin's power was evident, and I am not denying the evidence of that power there. So when I say it did not reach the southeast that does not stem from any ethnocentric desire to deny Benin imperial might. It stems from the fact that the evidence for that might in the east is... NIL. We know the stories of Benin adventure in Akure, Owo, Lagos, Agbor, Ubulu-Uku. We know the names of the war generals and princes involved in the campaigns there. Where are the Benin-East stories? Who were the generals? Who were the princes? Conveniently forgotten? Or never happened? A 'historical reality' that only one writer, who said Benin and Ethiopia were neighbours, recorded? grin

While we are on the subject of Equiano sef, let it be remembered that some historians still make the case that his homeland was in Anioma. So, there. And at least one historian has argued that he was born in South Carolina.

A book can be excellent in some regard and still be inaccurate in other regards. In fact, this is true of all great books, and Equiano's book is no exception. Herodotus is the Father of History and his book is still widely praised by the same historians who will still tell you that some of what he wrote was hearsay or widely exaggerated.

4 Likes

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by gregyboy(m): 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Why cursing him?

He is only protecting his territory from external aggression.

I didn't curse him because he was protecting is territory, i insulted him because he lied on the various point he gave
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AmuDimpka: 7:12pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Gelegele has already been ocvupied by benins and the ijsw chiefs has been released after he begged

Go and Chase Ijaw away ... They would descend on you ...
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AmuDimpka: 7:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Blablabla

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AmuDimpka: 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Choi

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AmuDimpka: 7:17pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Chai

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by gregyboy(m): 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Go and Chase Ijaw away ... They would descend on you ...

He concern you,

Go drive fulani herdsmen from the yeast
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AmuDimpka: 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2020
gregyboy:

He concern you,

Go drive fulani herdsmen from the yeast

Where again if I might ask? Tell me the name of the place....
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by davidnazee: 12:45am On Jul 01, 2020
RedboneSmith:
The funny thing here is that I even come from the so-called Western Igbo, where Benin's power was evident, and I am not denying the evidence of that power there. So when I say it did not reach the southeast that does not stem from any ethnocentric desire to deny Benin imperial might. It stems from the fact that the evidence for that might in the east is... NIL. We know the stories of Benin adventure in Akure, Owo, Lagos, Agbor, Ubulu-Uku. We know the names of the war generals and princes involved in the campaigns there. Where are the Benin-East stories? Who were the generals? Who were the princes? Conveniently forgotten? Or never happened? A 'historical reality' that only one writer, who said Benin and Ethiopia were neighbours, recorded? grin

While we are on the subject of Equiano sef, let it be remembered that some historians still make the case that his homeland was in Anioma. So, there. And at least one historian has argued that he was born in South Carolina.

A book can be excellent in some regard and still be inaccurate in other regards. In fact, this is true of all great books, and Equiano's book is no exception. Herodotus is the Father of History and his book is still widely praised by the same historians who will still tell you that some of what he wrote was hearsay or widely exaggerated.

Bro if you are 100% Igbo then your ancestors are not indigenous to delta state but rather migrants who came across the Niger from the east. North delta is not originally Igbo land.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by davidnazee: 12:54am On Jul 01, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Bro is it because Olaudah wrote that Benin Kingdom once ruled eastern Igbos you are calling his book false?
I think you Igbos should rather be happy because his book is evidence that Igbos existed in 16th century.. because there’s no other mention of Igbos in history prior to the end of the 19th century.. even Igbos can’t recount their history beyond 19th century.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by davidnazee: 1:05am On Jul 01, 2020
AreaFada2:

Davidnaze, gregyboy

You are right bro
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 01, 2020
gregyboy:

I didn't curse him because he was protecting os territory i insulted him because he lied on the various point he gave

He didn't lie. He is only trying to be realistic.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 01, 2020
davidnazee:

Bro is it because Olaudah wrote that Benin Kingdom once ruled eastern Igbos you are calling his book false?
I think you Igbos should rather be happy because his book is evidence that Igbos existed in 16th century.. because there’s no other mention of Igbos in history prior to the end of the 19th century.. even Igbos can’t recount their history beyond 19th century.

Happy that a little boy that his brain was still on formative stage wrote a book that the points raised can't be proved...

Such history doesn't exist and I have consistently said it here that Bini-Yoruba history remains the only sound and convincing history even to this day.

Hearing the stories, you will fully agree that these two people edo-yorubas are of same stock. Why because you don't look for points to prove such as many critical facts are there to prove it. ..The tundra, the oluseguns, the rotimis, the Obas etc are what is been shared by both that someone will have no doubt to agree...

All come to history with equity and fairness.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 01, 2020
davidnazee:

Bro if you are 100% Igbo then your ancestors are not indigenous to delta state but rather migrants who came across the Niger from the east. North delta is not originally Igbo land.

No, it was originally Yorubas right?

Because saying DN is Edos invariably means you are tagging them Yorubas..

Be guided.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by RedboneSmith(m): 2:11pm On Jul 01, 2020
davidnazee:

The way Nairalanders and Nigerians in general hold conversations is weird. When did the topic of the conversation shift to whether the area that I come from is 100% Igbo or not? All along we've been talking about Benin, Equiano and the Southeast. I mentioned where I'm from in passing and you shift the topic to my people's identity question? Even after I purposely used the expression "so-called" in an attempt to avoid this derailment and stay on topic?

Weird.

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by RedboneSmith(m): 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2020
davidnazee:

How many times am I going to say that I'm not calling the book false?

How many times am I going to say that even the best books are likely to have one or two points that will raise the eyebrow of critical scholars? How many times?

Benin people respect Egharevba and his work, don't they? They even have a lecture series or an award (I'm not sure which) named after him. Still Benin people today do not agree with everything Egharevba had to say about Benin history, and that is totally understandable.

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by AreaFada2: 2:32pm On Jul 01, 2020
davidnazee:

You are right bro
Sorry I wrote that post in a hurry. Good that you got my point despite the many errors in it.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by bigfrancis21: 5:30am On Jul 03, 2020
HERE ARE SOME IGBO WORDS IN OLAUDAH EQUIANO'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY BOOK.

Sources:
✓ THE LIFE OF OLAUDAH EQUIANO OR GUSTAVUS VASSA THE AFRICAN WRITTEN BY himself published in 1837.

It's important to note that the accounts of OLAUDAH EQUIANO'S childhood picture about the Igbo customs and manners dates back to his birth year (1745).

Here are some Igbo words in his book, if you have any please do contribute:

1. Essaka: Essaka is the anglicized form of the original Igbo word ISSEKE(a community located in Ihiala local government area, Anambra state). It seems Essaka(Isseke) was the birth place of Olaudah Equiano. Citing from page 9 of his autobiography:
"...This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts : in one of the most remote and fertile of which, was born,
in the year 1745, situated in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. The distance of this province from the capital of Benin and the sea coast must be very considerable..."

2. Embrenche: This is an anglicized form of the original Igbo word M[G]BURICHI(an act of facial scarification in Igboland which depicts -honour or Noble-). From his book on page 9;
"...My father was one of those elders or chiefs I have spoken of, and was styled Embrenche ; a term, as I remember, importing the highest distinction, and signifying in our language a mark of grandeur. This mark is conferred on the person entitled to it, by cutting the skin across at the top of the forehead, and drawing it down to the eye-brows : and while it is in this situation applying a warm hand, and rubbing it until it shrinks up into a thick weal across the lower part of the forehead..."

3. Eadas: This should be "Ede" in the Igbo language which means Cocoyam. From his book on page 13 and 42
"...Our vegetables are mostly plantains, eadas, yams, beans, and Indian corn...I shall therefore only observe, that in all the places where I was, the soil was exceedingly rich ; the pumpkins, eadas, plaintains, yams..."

4. Oye - Eboe: It's crystal clear that the Igbo word "Onye-Igbo/Ibo" was corrupted to "Oye-Eboe". Igbos who are from a particular district call other Igbos of other districts "Onye Igbo" if they don't know your name or your home town. And it's likely that the frequent usage of the term ONYE IGBO by Igbos made the Europeans to tag all Igbo speaking people as Igbo(NB- During the pre colonial times of the Igbos, no Igbo identified himself/herself as an Igbo person; they commonly identify themselves with the name of their districts like Isuama, Ohafia, Agbaja, Onitsha, Abor, Nri etc). From page 16;
"...These are sometimes visited by stout mahogany-colored men from the south-west of us: we call them Oye-Eboe, which term signifies red men living at a distance..."
–It is likely those mahogany stout men were Arochukwu men who dispersed in all IGBO areas for slaves–

5. Eboe- An anglicized form of "Igbo". From page 17;
"...The West India planters prefer the slaves of Benin or Eboe, to those of any other part of Guinea, for their hardiness, intelligence, integrity, and zeal..."
The Igbos during pre colonial era paid tributes to the Benin kingdom –which means they were subjects to the Oba of Benin–
"...our subjection to the king of Benin was little more than nominal ; for every transaction of the government, as far as my slender observation extended, was conducted by the chief or elders of the place..." - page 9

6. Olaudah- Olaudah is no form of anglicized Igbo word. Some Igbos still bear that archaic name as Olauda. OLA in the Igbo tongue means Wealth, riches etc and UDAH in the central Igbo/Isuama dialect means LOUD/CELEBRATED. I think if they (Ola+Udah meanings in Igbo) are juxtaposed with OLAUDAH'S narrative, they are related and close. From his book on page 23:
"...I was named Olaudah, which in our language signifies vicissitude, or fortunate ; also, one favored, and having a loud voice and well spoken..."

7. Ah Affoe Way Cah: It's a corruption of the Igbo words "Afor Nwoke"(pronounced Ah-for Wo Keh). Afor means a lot in Igbo - Year, Stomach, name of a market day -. Nwoke simply means man.
Page 24, "...They calculated our time, and foretold events, as their name imported, for we called them Ah-affoe way-cah, which signifies calculators or yearly men, our year being called Ah-affoe..."

8. Ah-affoe: "Afor"(meaning year in the Igbo tongue) is same with Ah-affoe. It was just corrupted! Reference same as 7.

@bold...Ah Affoe Way Cah is actually afo nwa ika, ancient men who knew how to calculate the start and end of each linear year.

To better understand Olaudah's Igbo words, you need to first establish his Igbo orthography which he used, because as of the time of his biography modern day Igbo onwu orthography had not been created.

'ay' in 'way' is actually pronounced 'ai' or 'eye', 'cah' would be 'ka'. 'way-cah' = 'wa-ay-cah' = nwa ika.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Yujin(m): 10:48pm On Jul 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Igbos have in their oral history account of a war of resistance they fought against Benin Kingdom were thousands of fighters died on both sides. The war wasn’t fought in the west but deep in the southeast in Anambra and surrounding areas.

If you take that account plus Equiano’s story it seems very true that Benin Kingdom ruled in southeast Igboland maybe the rule wasn’t very long probably due to Igbo aggressive nature and the land not economically viable unlike the Yorubas that Benin Kingdom ruled for over 700years.
Lol. You're a big clown. I guess you're just trolling.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Yujin(m): 10:50pm On Jul 10, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Minority...you would always be defeated..make noise again

You know see as Ijaw take gelegele from una ..una with una weak elders no fit do anything
He's a pained Yeriba not a Bini.
Re: Some Igbo Words In Olaudah Equiano's Autobiography Book by Yujin(m): 11:12pm On Jul 10, 2020
RedboneSmith:

The way Nairalanders and Nigerians in general hold conversations is weird. When did the topic of the conversation shift to whether the area that I come from is 100% Igbo or not? All along we've been talking about Benin, Equiano and the Southeast. I mentioned where I'm from in passing and you shift the topic to my people's identity question? Even after I purposely used the expression "so-called" in an attempt to avoid this derailment and stay on topic?

Weird.
Lol. You can save the argument by telling him you're not Igbo. His attack is strictly against Igbos. Igbos give some people nightmares.
Delta North remains Igbo territory. Anthropologists are aware of the foray of nearby tribes into the area and today these tribes have been acculturated and it's our desire that we maintain a single identity without recourse to the search for ancestry because some of our own people forayed into the territories of those neighbouring tribes and have been acculturated over there.
Let's be proud of our present heritage.
Kudos to your responses to that clown. I couldn't have said them better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Far From Home, Yoruba Community Makes Home In Delta State- King Ayo (pic) / Labor Day Parade In Ny / Why Do The Bini So Love And Respect Thier Oba Unlike Other Tribe Do 2 Their King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.