Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,098 members, 7,828,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Proper Stages of a Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Proper Stages of a Relationship (2286 Views)

The 3 stages that determine the outcome of any romantic affair. / Seven Stages Of How Men Fall In Love...a Must Read For Ladies / Is It Proper For Nigerian Guys To Toast A Lady On Social Media? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proper Stages of a Relationship by dablessed(f): 9:07pm On Jun 25, 2005
[I think the stages are] friendship, companionship, dating and intimacy. Could everyone please come up with what they think the correct order should be. I think the correct order, in my opinion should be FDIC: ( subject to criticism )

Friendship, should come first (at least get to know if the other person is worth dating)

Dating, which gives you a better understanding of the other person, it could be single dating or group dating.

Intimacy comes after dating! Moving a step ahead. Here, you are beginning to consider the other person as a marriageable material.

Companionship - This probably comes in when the guy proposes and all hands are on deck for the wedding or when 'friendship' has now migrated to 'marriage'

It's funny how the order is battered these days! E.g boy meets girl and the next we hear is 'they're married'. I feel there should be a place for friendship, dating and intimacy before marriage. Friends are discovered not made! It's sad that a lot people get married these days without actually discovering the other person.

Ok Nairaland users, please tell me what you feel the proper order should be.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by pkrix(m): 9:30pm On Jun 25, 2005
Friendship is synonymous to companionship. So, both of them should have been the very first thing I think.

Then Dating.

And then intimacy.

Intimacy should be forever for it is intimacy that makes a man and a woman live together as husband and wife and share each other's fate.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by dablessed(f): 9:42pm On Jun 25, 2005
I do not agree with u that friendship and companionship should be placed together. Does it mean that every one whom you're friends with will eventually be your companion? No i suppose is your answer.

All companions are friends but not all friends are companions, i would imagine.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by pkrix(m): 9:52pm On Jun 25, 2005
It's like a nice quote.

But how in a relationship matter will you differentiate between a companion and a friend?
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by dablessed(f): 10:03pm On Jun 25, 2005
pkrix:

It's like a nice quote.

But how in a relationship matter will you differentiate between a companion and a friend?

You will certainly know if the relationshiop you have with someone is friendship or companionship. Most times, companionship is deeper and you must have known the person to a certain extent. That's my opinion though. Doesnt mean i'm outrightly correct.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by dominobaby(f): 9:46am On Jun 26, 2005
Dablessed, your order is quite okay by me and i think it is ideal.
You know some men could be so funny, they really batter the "order".I have quite experienced such, a guy i once new when in secondary school (note we were just friends, exchanging pleasantries, I barely knew him)just walked up to me some 5 years later asking me to marry him in a few months time, just like that,and i was like what? I barely know you!

Really i think you have to become friends first then if you feel you could date him/her, go ahead and who knows.............
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Kenya(f): 6:58pm On Jun 26, 2005
I agree with dablessed.

Friendship is first because you have to get to know the other person enough to decide if you want to date them. This stage should be open with no commitments. We should be accepting people for who they are and be open to everything even if we don;t like it, we should ask questions here and be very observant. Pay attention to red flags. After this stage you decided if you want to date.

Dating second, because cause you are now getting to know about them a little deeper, you go places and do things together. This should be a slow paced thing.

Intimacy: Now you have developed a Genuine interest in them and may want to take a step further to share kissing, touching, over nights, deeper conversation and sex together.

Companionship 4th, because now you have a better idea of what you are dealing with all around. You are able to make a better decision about if you want to go further, such as marriage.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Seun(m): 7:23pm On Jun 26, 2005
dablessed, your question is a closed question. I have my own ideas about the order in which a relationship should progress, and I don't think I can fit it into your friendship/dating/intimacy/companionship model at all!
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by dablessed(f): 7:53pm On Jun 26, 2005
Seun:

dablessed, your question is a closed question.  I have my own ideas about the order in which a relationship should progress, and I don't think I can fit it into your friendship/dating/intimacy/companionship model at all!

Seun,

Feel free to share your own ideas and you do not have to follow the FDIC pattern at all! Like I said earlier, I am open to positive criticisms.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by jogego(m): 1:08pm On Jun 28, 2005
What a loadacrap. No offence meant, but the I think someone has been reading too much Mills & Boons or Cosmopolitan. Abeg people, this is real life. Real life does not follow any written scripts last time I checked. Small time, someone will say falling in love is controllable just like you flick on or off a switch.

So in what category would you put love at first sight? And nobody should PLEASE tell me that inot possible because it is. Life throws us curves that we are not prepared for at times. Thats what makes life so much more fulfilling. And please and please throwaway that script. It just doesnt go like that.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by shockreaction(m): 3:34pm On Jun 28, 2005
Friendship cannot be the first thing. Dating is the first.

Friendship comes if a dating offer is refused. For instance, I meet a girl that I like, I ask her out. She says yes, we start with the dating stage. She says no, but we can be friends, and I can decide to be friends or not to be friends with her.

From there on, it's intimacy and/or companionship depending on how the dating goes. Sometimes, friends can get intimate, which is unplanned.

So it's either
Dating -> Companionship/Intimacy
or
Friendship -> (rare) Intimacy -> Companionship.

There.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by bolasho(m): 4:48pm On Jun 28, 2005
@jogego:
Thank you, Jogego.

Since life is not a play/film where there is scripts and everydody act to it, you can't really predict how and what order one will go through in relationship. As you said there is sometimes love at first site.

But sometimes the order stuff can still work out .
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by oyin: 12:59pm On Jun 29, 2005
freindship comes after dating i suppose
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by mosiate(f): 3:20pm On Jun 29, 2005
i think for some peopple especially first timer and inexprience peopple that step will be very important for them to follow,but for people like jogego player for real he doesn't such step since he know what hee want.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by jogego(m): 4:21pm On Jun 30, 2005
mosiate:

I think for some peopple especially first timer and inexprience peopple that step will be very important for them to follow,but for people like jogego player for real he doesn't such step since he know what hee want.

abeg mosiate, won ma ni be rere e je oh!!!! they will not spoil your good oh!!! abeg na who tell you say I be player? I go sue you for defamation of character oh!!!! where are the lawyers in the house
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by dablessed(f): 4:40pm On Jun 30, 2005
jogego:

mosiate link=topic=598.msg8587#msg8587 date=1120054854:

I think for some peopple especially first timer and inexprience peopple that step will be very important for them to follow,but for people like jogego player for real he doesn't such step since he know what hee want.

abeg mosiate, won ma ni be rere e je oh!!!! they will not spoil your good oh!!! abeg na who tell you say I be player? I go sue you for defamation of character oh!!!! where are the lawyers in the house

Jogego,

Never mind.

I guess Mosiate only wanted to know if you were still an active member of the forum. I think she got an answer. grin
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Hndholder(m): 4:52pm On Jun 30, 2005
Too much grammar here. Companionship could occur without friendship but one thing normally lead to the other. No rigid formula.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by dablessed(f): 5:07pm On Jun 30, 2005
HND HOLDER:

Too much grammar here. Companionship could occur without friendship but one thing normally lead to the other. No rigid formula.

OND Holder,

I do not agree with you. How do you intend to be another person's companion when you have not taken time to know if you have things in common? Dont you think it could be disastrous?
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Motee(f): 7:33pm On Jun 30, 2005
I beg... i need to know also.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by mosiate(f): 10:45am On Jul 01, 2005
dablessed:

jogego link=topic=598.msg8801#msg8801 date=1120144871:

[quote author=mosiate link=topic=598.msg8587#msg8587 date=1120054854]

Jogego,

Never mind.

I guess Mosiate only wanted to know if you were still an active member of the forum. I think she got an answer. grin
[/quote]
dablessed,don't jogego he want to deny as if he not.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by vexxy(f): 2:32am On Aug 30, 2005
I would have to say that I can agree and disagree with your formula, dablessed.

From personal experience, some of my closest friendships have blossomed from dating first.  During the course of dating is when we get to know one another, become friends, and later became companions at times never being intimate. 

Then there are also times when I turn down those who ask me out after becoming friends with fear that the friendship will be destroyed if the dating doesn't work.  Sometimes once a person is placed in the "friends" category it's hard to see them as anything more.

(most guys hate to hear, "let's just be friends."  It can be seen as a refusal for anything more.)

How ever the start, whether dating or friendship comes first, intimacy should be saved for marriage.  I say that as one who became intimate with "boyfriends with whom I've been in serious relationships with" that never led to marriage and how I wish I could turn back the clock.

Also, I feel that companionship should be established before marriage.  Your marriage partner should be your friend, your companion, and a person you still date (it doesn't stop after becoming married).  How can you marry a person you are not a companion with already?
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Latoya(f): 4:14am On Aug 30, 2005
I really do agree wiv your views Vexxy.u have said it all
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Efani(m): 10:43pm On Aug 01, 2006
INTIMACY (FIRST AND FOREMOST)

DATING(IF THE SEX IS HOTT, THEN U WANNA DATE HER)

COMPANIONSHIP(IF THE SEX WAS BLAZING THEN U MIGHT WANNA MARRY HER)

NOW WUT WAS THA OTHER ONE AGAIN??
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Seun(m): 2:41pm On Aug 02, 2006
Mine is:
1) Friendship
2) Courtship
3) Marriage
4) Sex, babies, etc.
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Busta(f): 4:01pm On Aug 02, 2006
Seun:

Mine is:
1) Friendship
2) Courtship
3) Marriage
4) Sex, babies, etc.
@ seun i really hope u've been practicing that sha?

as for me:
- friendship
- courtship
- sex (gotta taste the banana and know wat i gotta deal with) grin
- marriage
- babies, etc
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Seun(m): 4:07pm On Aug 02, 2006
If the girl wants to shift the sex forward that will be really cool. I'm an atheist, so I don't mind.

The problem is with these girls that will have sex with you, and then go to church on Sunday to confess and claim that you are the one leading them into temptation. Then dump you later 'for God'. Hypocrites!
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Busta(f): 4:19pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ seun

awwww, pele sad
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by Seun(m): 4:49pm On Aug 02, 2006
Nothing like that has happened to me, please, but it has happened to other male 'unbelievers'!!
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by soulpatrol(f): 5:11pm On Aug 02, 2006
some people say sex after marriage, some say sex before. what if you wait till after marriage, and discover that your partner can't do the do? what then do you do? any opinions? cool
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by sage(m): 6:20pm On Aug 02, 2006
soulpatrol:

some people say sex after marriage, some say sex before. what if you wait till after marriage, and discover that your partner can't do the do? what then do you do? any opinions? cool

Then u do what u gotta do, which is to do the do do grin grin cheesy
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by ladygaga(f): 1:01am On Feb 03, 2010
If the girl wants to shift the intimacy forward that will be really cool. I'm an atheist, so I don't mind.

The problem is with these girls that will have intimacy with you, and then go to church on Sunday to confess and claim that you are the one leading them into temptation. Then dump you later 'for God'. Hypocrites!

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, ye mo gbe oh!!!!

mehn, dat really got me laughin!!!!
Re: Proper Stages of a Relationship by ladygaga(f): 1:06am On Feb 03, 2010
for me,i think i like the FCIM or FCMI, anywhich way i think it is genuineness and sincerity of intentions that matter eventually!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Men Now The Gold Diggers? / Leading me on or playing hard to get? / Is It True I Can Get A Real Girlfriend On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.