Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,473 members, 7,854,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:17 AM

Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt (14567 Views)

I Dreamed And Saw Where Buhari Was Leading Prayers In Church. / History Of 10 Muharram 2015 - Muharram Short Speech, Essay, Prayers In Urdu / 5 Reasons Why Christians Dont Receive Answers To Their Prayers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by estatenig(m): 3:09pm On Feb 04, 2011
This is what it means to live in peace and unity, that is the Nigerian prayer!
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by banom(m): 3:32pm On Feb 04, 2011
To happen in Nigeria ? I dey Laugfffffffffh
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Igonih(m): 3:54pm On Feb 04, 2011
Will Muslims do this for Christians? Will they form a protective ring around Christians while Christians say their prayers? I hope so.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by ken82(m): 5:11pm On Feb 04, 2011
I really envy these guys and their togetherness
i wish this could happen in naija
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by showstopa: 6:27pm On Feb 04, 2011
I wonder why I am not excited to see this picture.Is it not in Egypt that in the past 2 xmases have bombed churches and gotten people killed.
Suddenly they are acting all lovey dovey. mschew.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Righton: 6:33pm On Feb 04, 2011
^^^

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-582664.0.html

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/3365.aspx

Egypt's Muslims attend Coptic Christmas mass, serving as "human shields"

Egypt’s majority Muslim population stuck to its word Thursday night. What had been a promise of solidarity to the weary Coptic community, was honoured, when thousands of Muslims showed up at Coptic Christmas eve mass services in churches around the country and at candle light vigils held outside.
From the well-known to the unknown, Muslims had offered their bodies as “human shields” for last night’s mass, making a pledge to collectively fight the threat of Islamic militants and towards an Egypt free from sectarian strife.

“We either live together, or we die together,” was the sloganeering genius of Mohamed El-Sawy, a Muslim arts tycoon whose cultural centre distributed flyers at churches in Cairo Thursday night, and who has been credited with first floating the “human shield” idea.

Among those shields were movie stars Adel Imam and Yousra, popular Muslim televangelist and preacher Amr Khaled, the two sons of President Hosni Mubarak, and thousands of citizens who have said they consider the attack one on Egypt as a whole.

“This is not about us and them,” said Dalia Mustafa, a student who attended mass at Virgin Mary Church on Maraashly Street. “We are one. This was an attack on Egypt as a whole, and I am standing with the Copts because the only way things will change in this country is if we come together.”

In the days following the brutal attack on Saints Church in Alexandria, which left 21 dead on New Year’ eve, solidarity between Muslims and Copts has seen an unprecedented peak. Millions of Egyptians changed their Facebook profile pictures to the image of a cross within a crescent – the symbol of an “Egypt for All”. Around the city, banners went up calling for unity, and depicting mosques and churches, crosses and crescents, together as one.

The attack has rocked a nation that is no stranger to acts of terror, against all of Muslims, Copts and Jews. In January of last year, on the eve of Coptic Christmas, a drive-by shooting in the southern town of Nag Hammadi killed eight Copts as they were leaving Church following mass. In 2004 and 2005, bombings in the Red Sea resorts of Taba and Sharm El-Sheikh claimed over 100 lives, and in the late 90’s, Islamic militants executed a series of bombings and massacres that left dozens dead.

This attack though comes after a series of more recent incidents that have left Egyptians feeling left out in the cold by a government meant to protect them.

Last summer, 28-year-old businessman Khaled Said was beaten to death by police, also in Alexandria, causing a local and international uproar. Around his death, there have been numerous other reports of police brutality, random arrests and torture.

Last year was also witness to a ruthless parliamentary election process in which the government’s security apparatus and thugs seemed to spiral out of control. The result, aside from injuries and deaths, was a sweeping win by the ruling party thanks to its own carefully-orchestrated campaign that included vote-rigging, corruption and widespread violence. The opposition was essentially annihilated. And just days before the elections, Copts - who make up 10 percent of the population - were once again the subject of persecution, when a government moratorium on construction of a Christian community centre resulted in clashes between police and protestors. Two people were left dead and over 100 were detained, facing sentences of up to life in jail.

The economic woes of a country that favours the rich have only exacerbated the frustration of a population of 80 million whose majority struggle each day to survive. Accounts of thefts, drugs, and violence have surged in recent years, and the chorus of voices of discontent has continued to grow.

The terror attack that struck the country on New Year’s eve is in many ways a final straw – a breaking point, not just for the Coptic community, but for Muslims as well, who too feel marginalized, oppressed, and overlooked by a government that fails to address their needs. On this Coptic Christmas eve, the solidarity was not just one of religion, but of a desperate and collective plea for a better life and a government with accountability.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by dexmond: 7:41pm On Feb 04, 2011
Can a devout alfa-like Muslim love his infidel neighbuor?
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Sweetnecta: 8:12pm On Feb 04, 2011
@dexmond; The word "INFIDEL" appears in the Bible.

It does not appear in the Quran at all.

If you see it in the Arabic Quran, please type out the word for us in Arabic so that we can go in the Quran to check your "knowledge".

How does anyone know that the people who were not praying are christans? Consider this, muslims are the security personnel in Islamic functions in countries where we are even minorities. Apart from saying that the people in the picture are police officers, I find it hard to swallow that Christians will be protecting muslims in the public, in a country such as Egypt where the majority by far are muslims.

It is almost similar to protestant christians in Trafalgar or Piccadilly in England are going to be "protected" by muslims or hindus or sikh! It is not muslims who by and large need protection in Egypt that Christians should come to their aids in the Public eye. It is the majority that needs to protect the minority and the muslims are the majority and hold power of authority in Egypt. Until somebody can "proof" that the human ring are Christians, it is safe to say that they are Muslims, who will make their own prayers, after the large mass of worshipers are done.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Brownhacks(m): 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2011
God help us in nigeria to live in peace with muslims
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Jenifa1: 9:15pm On Feb 04, 2011
that's nice. but can it last?
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Nobody: 4:14am On Feb 05, 2011
egypt, egypt, egypt.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by uglybetty: 8:06am On Feb 05, 2011
Who send them?
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by queensmith: 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2011
to be honest it makes sense- its nothing to do with religion. They are all the same ethnically. The same can happen if a tribe of yorubas were unlawfully attacked by religious militants. We fight for ourselves regardless of religion.

What is happening in jos is an ethnic battle rather than a religious one- igbos dont care much for christianity, but they dont take shit from nobody. Theyll give you what you give them in 10-fold.

For some to now insinuate that the way the igbo's are behaving is representative of a christian nature truly baffles me, if anything its the total opposite. Muslim militants are known all over the world to simply bully communities with no retaliation. The igbos are simply showing you they cannot be bullied.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Righton: 7:47pm On Feb 05, 2011
uglybetty:

Who send them?
Precisely. Especially as you, an individual in Nigeria, know better than those people in Egypt what is in their best interests.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Ify27(m): 10:05pm On Feb 05, 2011
the citizens of Egypt are doing what the citizens of Nigeria are scared to do

FIGHT THEIR GOVERMENT FOR WHATS RIGHT!!!

YOU GUYS WANNA ARGUE AND ABOUT ELECTIONS AND KILL YOUR OWN PEOPLE

THE EGYPTIANS ARE SHOWING SIGNS OF UNITY REGARDLESS OF RELIGION!!!!

WE NEED TO TAKE A HARD LESSON BECAUSE WE ARE FAILING IN THE CLASS OF LIFE!!
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by almoner(m): 10:59am On Feb 06, 2011
Together, we can do it!
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by almoner(m): 11:08am On Feb 06, 2011
Together, we can do it!
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by Fearcom(m): 11:51pm On Feb 07, 2011
i'm my brother's keeper. smiley
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by CGKing(m): 6:45am On Feb 08, 2011
Watch ur backs too brethren, the muslims may stab u behind when their prayer is done.
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by apella: 12:38pm On Feb 08, 2011
@keminuga,u're either narrow minded or totally blind.why do we luv 2 see d bad part instead of holdin on n make use of d good u see. tongue tongue tongue. @e-herbal u don talk am finish, u so brilliant kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt by TheClown: 4:39pm On Feb 10, 2011
Some people have been asking 'can Muslims do same for xtains in naija?'. I tell you, my Muslim cousins would not only do same for me but attack a fellow Muslim on my behalf!

The problem with the core north is that Christianity is alien to them, many families don't have Christians so they see other Christians as strangers and enemies and kill them without thinking twice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Killing In Self-defence Is It A Sin Before God? / Who Says Bishop David Oyedepo Is Not A Living Legend? / Powerfull Spiritual Command with six and seven books of moses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.