Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK (54504 Views)

Immigration Stops 20 Intending Passengers From Leaving Nigeria At Lagos Airport / Joe Igbokwe: "Air Peace Blocked Me From Travelling, Shocked Me" / DON'T LISTEN TO Anyone Who Discourages You From Travelling Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 12:23pm On Jul 11, 2020
laiperi:
You know if you hate insult from ignoramus, stay away from social media.
But sometimes you are compelled to correct misinformation. Otherwise you care more about your prestige than the country.

Just imagine the question below. Simple information he could get where he is.

I haven't read or come across any understandable places in the UK that treat foreign doctors badly , you made the allegation and i'm asking you to provide an evidence to back that up.

Let me pretend as if i did not see your insult

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 11, 2020
TruthSpeaker:

IT SEEMS AS IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRAVELLED OUT OF NIGERIA SINCE YOU WERE BORN. THE AIRLINE IS NOT EVEN SUPPOSE TO LET THEM TRAVEL FOR NOT HAVING A VALID UK VISA STAMPED ON THEIR NIGERIA PASSPORT. IF THEY HAD MADE IT TO THE UK, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN DEPORTED ON ARRIVAL AND THE AIRLINE HEAVILY FINED. THE ONLY WAY THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IS IF THE UK IMMIGRATION ALREADY HAD A WAVIER FOR THEM IN PLACE DUE TO NEED OF DOCTORS AS A RESULT OF COVID-19.
But each of them was in possession of an ETD. In a situation like this, medical personnel can travel without a visa ,same applies to envoys and diplomats. The ETD had already covered them. The Nigerian government was only afraid of reactions which could trail this, should they be allowed to travel. Maybe if they were 5 people max, there couldn't have been an issue. The number was intimidating especially in such a global pandemic as this when countries are recalling retired medics to help them due to inadequacy in the number of medical personnel.

It would have been a disgraceful thing and santions would have been applied by those International organisations planning to send covid-19 relief funds to Nigeria. The immigration just saved our govt the global disgrace, especially with the recent news of lagos state govt sacking frontline workers at isolation centres when the number wasn't even enough. What the immigration said about visa didn't hold water because even if you're in possession of a valid visa , they could still prevent you from travelling due to one reason or the other. I have a colleague who's an anaesthetist. A couple of foreign airlines still operate here and Turkish is one of them. His visa had expired buy was issued an ETD being a medical doctor.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 12:44pm On Jul 11, 2020
fairfora:
But each of them was in possession of an ETD. In a situation like this, medical personnel can travel without a visa ,same applies to envoys and diplomats. The ETD had already covered them. The Nigerian government was only afraid of reactions which could trail this, should they be allowed to travel. Maybe if they were 5 people max, there couldn't have been an issue. The number was intimidating especially in such a global pandemic as this when countries are recalling retired medics to help them due to inadequacy in the number of medical personnel.

It would have been a disgraceful thing and santions would have been applied by those International organisations planning to send covid-19 relief funds to Nigeria. The immigration just saved our govt the global disgrace, especially with the recent news of lagos state govt sacking frontline workers at isolation centres when the number wasn't even enough. What the immigration said about visa didn't hold water because even if you're in possession of a valid visa , they could still prevent you from travelling due to one reason or the other. I have a colleague who's an anaesthetist. A couple of foreign airlines still operate here and Turkish is one of them. His visa had expired buy was issued an ETD being a medical doctor.

You mean Emergency travel Document?
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 11, 2020
justwise:

You mean Emergency travel Document?
Yes sir
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 12:54pm On Jul 11, 2020
fairfora:
Yes sir

They can not use such document to travel to the UK as they are not British citizens.

ETD are not issued to foreigners.

Those doctors needs tier 2 visa to travel and work in the UK, there is nothing emergency here.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Correcto: 1:06pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lol send me link so I can educate you. You guys are funny. Home Office or NHS ?
murphyibiam15:

The NHS granted them visa waiver already
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 11, 2020
justwise:

They can not use such document to travel to the UK as they are not British citizens.

ETD are not issued to foreigners.

Those doctors needs tier 2 visa to travel and work in the UK, there is nothing emergency here.
You're right( valid for british citizens ONLY) but in a global pandemic as this, vis a vis their profession, an non-british citizen can also apply for one by contacting the embassy. I'm quite aware of a tier-2 visa very well.

Please read the below for more.

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-high-commission-abuja.

I did a screenshot capturing it as below as well.

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 11, 2020
murphyibiam15:

You know nothing kiddo
Guy, why not leave this monker alone? There are lots of over sabi peeps on NL who don't even know a jack. I do save myself all the needless stress by ignoring most of them, which I think you should also do with the exception of justwise
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by murphyibiam15(m): 1:30pm On Jul 11, 2020
fairfora:
Guy, why not leave this monker alone? There are lots of over sabi peeps on NL who don't even know a jack. I do save myself all the needless stress by ignoring most of them, which I think you should also do with the exception of justwise
Thanks man.. I will from henceforth

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by laiperi: 1:32pm On Jul 11, 2020
My main beef here is about poaching of African doctors but looking at stats, Nigerian and Egyptian doctors may be more coming from Africa, Indian doctors make up most of the foreign doctors in UK.

So they put up Civil Rights defence against Rural and Remote areas slave labor, discrimination in major cities and ensure that the 2 to 3 years restraining of Indian doctors reduce blatant failure of immigrant doctors.

For African doctors, those are medicine after death. How do we correct social greed perpetrated by the parents of the privilege brats that come here crying like the poor?

If this trip fails, there are more coming. We must change the training of our doctors for the outside world. As someone suggested above, include more traditional training as poison pill for outside recruiters poaching our children.

This thread is good but we must act and turn off the gas instead of fighting the flame.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Correcto: 1:34pm On Jul 11, 2020
From a recruitment director of a Healthcare Firm. I thought you were going to reference NHS or Home Office. No wonder your colleagues were turned back. I hope you didn't pay that director, because if did you have been scammed. Go to Home Office official website to get accurate information. Nigerians are not issued visa on arrival.
murphyibiam15:

You know nothing kiddo
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 1:42pm On Jul 11, 2020
fairfora:
You're right( valid for british citizens ONLY) but in a global pandemic as this, vis a vis their profession, an non-british citizen can also apply for one by contacting the embassy. I'm quite aware of a tier-2 visa very well.

Please read the below for more.

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-high-commission-abuja.

I did a screenshot capturing it as below as well.

Bro this is not the same, you are misinterpreting that link.

You may be a UK resident but not a British citizen which is what that link is referring to.

People holding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) who are stranded abroad or lost their biometric visa card abroad can apply for ETD but a foreigner with no link to the UK can not apply for ETD to travel to the UK.

Those doctors are coming to the UK to work and its not an emergency situation.

If you are a Nigerian studying in the UK and lost your passport or it got stolent when visiting Nigeria you can contact the British embassy to get the visa reissued or some ETD to allow you renter the UK.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 11, 2020
murphyibiam15:

Lefu.. They changed the law for those Drs, check the NHIS website.. Nigerian immigration people don't read
or maybe the immigration ppl knew and did it on purpose as in following directive from above not to let any nigerian doctor leave the country.there is nothing nigerian dont know cheesy.they are not as ignorant as the nigerian police and nigerian military.those guys know their onions and the latest immigration laws installed.i am sure they knew about the law if there was a law of such but just prevented the doctors leaving cos they might be following orders from above.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 11, 2020
murphyibiam15:

You're a stack illiterate and a coconut head who did not even see the firewalls of elementary school

NHS granted them visa waiver.. Dundee

You're obviously disillusioned and 'severely pained'. They didn't have their papers and proper documentation, that's why they weren't allowed to fly. Flooding this thread with your opinions won't change anything.
The letter you manufactured is quite convincing though, but what's your proof that all the 58 doctors had and tendered those letters?

I smell play, why 58 doctors rather than 42? They obviously wanted to smuggle their colleagues to the UK.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by ihesiuloa(m): 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2020
justwise:

Did you read and understand the attachment? Did you realise that the recruitment agency has no power to issue visa waiver as they promised in that attachment?

This reminds me of crystal service scam in 2009 when about 8 thousand Nigerians were scammed with job in Canada, the recruiter was about to convince they to gather in national stadium to be picked up by chartered flight to Canada.

Yes among them were doctors, bankers, teachers etc all got scammed.
Yes, I remembered that year, I was also one of the victims promised of a cruise ship job back then to work in Canada, I did so many documentations and scans which I sent through the address given, I even scanned my international passport and sent it along with other documents, but when it got to the time they requested for money to be sent along with the docs' I smelt a rat and I discontinued with them.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 3:23pm On Jul 11, 2020
ihesiuloa:

Yes, I remembered that year, I was also one of the victims promised of a cruise ship job back then to work in Canada, I did so many documentations and scans which I sent through the address given, I even scanned my international passport and sent it along with other documents, but when it got to the time they requested for money to be sent along with the docs' I smelt a rat and I discontinued with them.

I hope this is not like this case https://www.nairaland.com/706047/crystal-service-immigration-scam/23

The scammer and his agents made close to 1B naira from the scam.

You will not believe that those Nigerians in that link went to national stadium to be picked up by charted flight to Canada.

Shocking..like i said i hope this is not close to it

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Bernice4ozodo(f): 3:35pm On Jul 11, 2020
Hmmmm..... Nigerians govt don't knw what dey have until dey lose it,for well 58 educated doctors to leave for Nigeria u think necessary plans has not bin made Was it not the same Nigerian govt/ abi na CECC sumtin that invited 14 Chinese doctors from china to do what exactly?.......the country don tire everybody even to give relief packages we no see,the system is totally corrupt....make dem sell the country give me my own share abegy
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by famzynet: 4:16pm On Jul 11, 2020
thiagoteres:

Please put a phone call through to home office and verify.
Lots of policies were dynamic at the peak of pandemic.
health surcharge was scrapped by government for NHS workers,yet those applying for visa extension after the announcement still paid. They are only just been refunded now. Yet this bit is not on the government website.
I am certain of what I wrote .

No need replying those guys saying your info is false. You just gave them a good example of what is going on and not yet in the UK website.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by famzynet: 4:20pm On Jul 11, 2020
Yankee101:
Tell them

Most nigerian students don't realize government universities are cheap because they're tuition free

No Nigerian university is tuition free. You don't compare school fees in US or UK with that of Nigeria just as you don't compare minimal wage. Lower minimum wage,lower school fees.
You won't expert Nigerian students to pay 5million per section and you pay them salary of 70k after graduation.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Yankee101: 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2020
Lol. All govt unis are tuition free

Go and find out

What you pay are fees (computer, maintenance etc) not tuition. The govt gives monthly subventions in place of your tuition. Only international students in Nigeria pay tuition

famzynet:

No Nigerian university is tuition free. You don't compare school fees in US or UK with that of Nigeria just as you don't compare minimal wage. Lower minimum wage,lower school fees.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 11, 2020
DrFunmisticGlow:
we are saying the same thing. You are offered terrible, low quality free education. But other countries schools pump money into their schools.
Nigeria's educational system is simply a case of awoof dey purge belle. So making the free education sound like something only doctors benefit from when in fact every course benefits from it is wrong. The doctors have paid their dues, they did their internship, they served your silly country in remote villages without basic amenities. They owe you guys nothing, and are free to progress their career in any country they please. Afterall, people who study other courses like tech and engineering also run away abroad, why are you not holding them accountable?

Calling me names is not a nice way to argue, it shows ignorance. I am not ignorant, i know that many doctors have student loans that are over $500k dollars. But what you don't know is that the nigerian doctor who goes to that country for residency also pay those loans. So it's the same thing.

To start with, I'm not asking doctors not to run away. Everyone seeks a greener pasture. And of course, many of us got free education which we know and some of us are very grateful for. Acknowledging the government on that is not out of place.

If you were to get the quality of education we have now, as shitty as it might be to you, without the intervention of government, you might be a school drop out or might never have attempted tertiary education in the first place. The government is bad but we don't have to take some things away from it.

Again, the reason why i was specific about doctors is because it's the bone of contention here and apparently, it cost more to train a doctor than any other professional in the university.

I also think you're mistaking to compare Ghana universities to Nigerian universities by insisting we're shitty in the face of Ghana's education system because they pay more. I'm afraid a lot of Nigerians might have gotten shitty education, as you might have called it, but you don't have to compare it to Ghana, whose education I don't consider better. Its best university, predictably University of Ghana, at best, is according to the reputable THE ranking on the same pedestal with UNILAG on meaningful ranking index. There's absolutely nothing that makes it better.

I'm sorry if you felt attacked by my previous comment. I just couldn't resist the urge. Looked at the bold and ask yourself what the fuse is exactly. Truth is my shitty country is mine and yours as well. If that reality is too hard to accept, good luck to you.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by pacificom: 5:04pm On Jul 11, 2020
0taPiaPia:

Only in your dreams... because Fg paid their school fees abi ?
They should be loyal to their country. Doctors are well paid even in Nigeria and there is job security for them.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by laiperi: 5:33pm On Jul 11, 2020
pacificom:

They should be loyal to their country. Doctors are well paid even in Nigeria and there is job security for them.

You know what, we all should be loyal to this country, not doctors alone. We need some incentives or deterrent to enforce this. Look at the children of the privileged. They send their children to the best schools at home and abroad. So you should not be surprised that they are the first to complain about Nigeria because they feel entitled than other professionals or the poor and will disown their loyalty or the country like the poor that have nothing.

One of my beef with them is that in the countries they run to, the privileged champion the cause of the poor, the rich bequest their wealth to good causes. And for the first time, children of the privileged whites came out, outnumbering blacks in the demonstrations.

As I stated before those Indians that make up the majority of foreign doctors in UK fight for their Civil Rights, discrimination, exploitation of Rural and Remote areas doctors. One of my brothers here feign ignorance of Rural or Remote areas in Europe or America, Western world for short.

So educate me how we can have loyalty to Nigeria when selfishness and greed override everything.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 5:44pm On Jul 11, 2020
laiperi:

You know what, we all should be loyal to this country, not doctors alone. We need some incentives or deterrent to enforce this. Look at the children of the privileged. They send their children to the best schools at home and abroad. So you should not be surprised that they are the first to complain about Nigeria because they feel entitled than other professionals or the poor and will disown their loyalty or the country like the poor that have nothing.

One of my beef with them is that in the countries they run to, the privileged champion the cause of the poor, the rich bequest their wealth to good causes. And for the first time, children of the privileged whites came out, outnumbering blacks in the demonstrations.

As I stated before those Indians that make up the majority of foreign doctors in UK fight for their Civil Rights, discrimination, exploitation of Rural and Remote areas doctors. One of my brothers here feign ignorance of Rural or Remote areas in Europe or America, Western world for short.

So educate me how we can have loyalty to Nigeria when selfishness and greed override everything.

You are good at making allegations with no evidence to back them up.

Like i said before..mention those remote areas in the UK or western countries where foreign doctors are maltreated as you clamined

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by mindtricks: 5:45pm On Jul 11, 2020
baby124:
Some Nigerians are stupid sha. How do you sell yourself so cheap? You go there without visa, they use you and pay whatever then dump or deport you after Covid is over for not coming through the right channels. Then you will come on NL after creating 100 usernames to cry out for help back to Nigeria. Giving some hellish stories. Doctors wey no get sense.

It ain't good that you are called "baby".
Things have long fallen apart, people can't be stopped seeking a way out.
Naija is messed up big time.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by missjekyll: 5:59pm On Jul 11, 2020
laiperi:
I can see that you are not well trained at home and in school.

What you are reaping is what those that trained you created. They think they were spiteful, especially to the poor and those that are unconnected to get their children into medical schools.

Now, look at their product, You! Asking question the way you were brought up. I can imagine how you talk to patients.

Educated illiterate who thinks he can get into Britain with the chartered plane of an Agent of Death. Many of them advertise for gullible dummies like you.

Once you get to your destination in Libya, they will ask which of you have more experienced in butchering. They will take out all the organs they need. No need for outside doctors.

Chartered Plane eh?

Mein gott. Such bitterness. I m so sorry,maam. But the truth is that you cannot stop these doctors from leaving. They have passed their uk qualifying exams,they are fully UK Licensed. They also have all gotten UK jobs. Their employers values them so highly that they have hired a private jet for them. No amount of witchcraft can stop them.

If you had a chance,you would jump at the opportunity. I m sure. Absolutely hilarious .

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by missjekyll: 6:14pm On Jul 11, 2020
Justwise

I am a bit surprised at you to be honest. A very wise person once said the more I learn ,the more I realise I know nothing.

Stand down please. Everyone is working from home.Websites are not getting updated as frequently. Not everything can be found on the internet anymore. I have it on good authority that the travel documents were perfectly in order. 56 of them had visa waivers. 2 had valid visas.

Learn to leave room for dissenting opinions. Even Priti Patel the home secretary wont argue the way you are arguing here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Truck Crashes Into A Shop At Ojodu, Lagos After Brake Failure This Evening (Pic) / The Bus Terminal That Ambode Is Building At Agege (PHOTO) / Enugu And Lagos In The List Of 100 Resilience Cities In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.