Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing (2625 Views)

If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? / We Are Not Under The Laws But Are Expected To Obey The Law / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 4:06pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

Why are you not sacrificing animals to God ?

I can and I always can. The Law does not Prohibit me from doing it even Today.

It's my animals, it's my land, it's my sacrifice!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

grin He does not know!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

Do you do it as stipulated in the old covenant though?
Cause you ought to do that at least once a year.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
do you do as stipulated in the old covenant though? Cause you ought to do that at least once a year

I can is what I said, meaning I am free to do so if I want.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 4:15pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

I can is what I said, meaning I am free to do so if I want.
The old covenant heeps curses on those who disobey. You have no freedom as you claim there. So get back to telling us that you do indeed live the old covenant or you don't , remembering that God above will hold you to your testimony here.

And by the way, you also ought to eat your tithe for first two years and on the third year, give your tithe to the Levite that God assigned your family to pay it to.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 4:17pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
from wikipedia

On the old Covenant, Jesus Christ did not abolish or amend it. He instead presented us with a new one as promised by God in Jeremiah 31, and Ezekiel 36

A Will is Always Made by the Living Covering Matters which He Has Made No Pronouncement Upon!

Hence Christ, From the Beginning Was Answering This Question in Advance, Immediately He Commenced His Teaching and Therefore, has Pronounced On It and therefore, it takes Effect!

If He wanted to Stop it's Effect, He Shall Pronounce On it Again, As He has Always Done Before, for Other Laws, Which He Has Not Done, even till today!

I am Sure You Do Not Know that Christ is A Lawyer, So He Always Knows What He is Saying and Doing!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by jmoore(m): 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2020
butterfly777:

Testament is after death? So, the Old Testament is after whose death?
You are not getting it. A new testament takes effect after death.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
The old covenant heeps curses on those who disobey. You have no freedom as you claim there. So get back to telling us that you do indeed live the old covenant or you don't , remembering that God above will hold you to your testimony here.

And by the way, you also ought to eat your tithe for first two years and on the third year, give your tithe to the Levite that God assigned your family to pay it to.

First the curses was for the whole of the Commandments, specifically starting with House Abraham being the beginning of the Contract upon the first Consecrated and Holy nation who He Personally came to sign the Agreement with them upon Mount Sinai and they verily Agreed.

If it was successful in Isreal, you would not be saying what you say because I would be living in Isreal and doing It there with them!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 4:37pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

You are not getting it. A new testament takes effect after death.

And we are saying a Testament Is Always made by A Living Person, it is Not A will.

A will is a Special Testament made by the Living, in Preparation for his demise, Covering Matters he has Not Settled Before His Death or he shall not be able to settle before his death.

Therefore, what you call New Testament did not Come into Effect Before His death (which is not a death but we little people call it death), But It Was In Effect Immediately it was Declared, as an Affidavit!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

First the curses was for the whole of the Commandments, specifically starting with House Abraham being the beginning of the Contract upon the first Consecrated and Holy nation who He Personally came to sign the Agreement with them upon Mount Sinai and they verily Agreed.

If it was successful in Isreal, you would not be saying what you say because I would be living in Isreal and doing It there with them!
What are you talking about? undecided

I mean the curses associated with the Old covenant as specified in Deuteronomy 28. Those curses are on those who do not obey the commandments just as the blessings are for those who obey the commandments. undecided

The old testament laws have nothing to do with Abraham , neither did Abraham sign it. Moses was the one who God gave it to and it was ratified before the people of Israel entered the land of Canaan. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 4:47pm On Jul 12, 2020
butterfly777:
Who says tithing has gone with the Old Testament? Read your Bible.

Jesus says we should tithe, without neglecting other doctrines of God.

Luke 11:42.
But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

Like many other doctrines of God, tithing started in the old testament and continues in our new testament.

Be blessed.

Oh oh ooh! grin This is Another Good One! I have not seen these words in a long time.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 4:51pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
from wikipedia

On the old Covenant, Jesus Christ did not abolish or amend it. He instead presented us with a new one as promised by God in Jeremiah 31, and Ezekiel 36

Christ did not abolish nor amend the Law, meaning that the Law continues to Operate and in fact to clear all doubts and foreknowing that people like you shall surely arise, He Expressly and Clearly and unequivocally stated that "no jot, or comma or full stop or tittle, or letter of the Law shall Pass Away (even though people wish it would) but Must All Be Fully Filled" (to the last drop).

And again, "Heaven and Earth shall pass away but my Word (including this very word above) shall Never Never Pass Away!

So there is no new law but rather the same law expounded and explained for all to men to understand in detail!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

Christ did not abolish nor amend the Law, meaning that the Law continues to Operate and in fact to clear all doubts and foreknowing that people like you shall surely arise, He Expressly and Clearly and unequivocally stated that "no jot, or comma or full stop or tittle, or letter of the Law shall Pass Away (even though people wish it would) but Must All Be Fully Filled" (to the last drop).

And again, "Heaven and Earth shall pass away but my Word (including this very word above) shall Never Never Pass Away!

So there is no new law but rather the same law expounded and explained for all to men to understand in detail!

Just because a old Covenant is still in existence does not mean a new one cannot exist.

Also, are you then suggesting that God lied in Jeremiah 31 and Ezekiel 36 about a new covenant? undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
What are you talking about? undecided

I mean the curses associated with the Old covenant as specified in Deuteronomy 28. Those curses are on those who do not obey the commandments just as the blessings are for those who obey the commandments. undecided

The old testament laws have nothing to do with Abraham , neither did Abraham sign it. Moses was the one who God gave it to and it was ratified before the people of Israel entered the land of Canaan. undecided

"Ratified" you must be a lawyer or studying law, interesting.

Deuteronomy is About Moses, in his final days, Reminding the People to Keep and Obey The Laws, He had Obtained from God already, which he painstakingly went through each one of them, for his own personal confirmation that he has delivered God's Laws to his people.

The Laws were given an Issued in Mount Sinai from Exodus 19 to 40, where Abraham's Children are Claimed by the Lord, in Line with the Agreement God Had with Abraham.

The Contract with Isaac and Jacob is Simply A Restatement of it. Nothing was added to it, Nothing was removed from it which is what Truespeak is saying.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by sonmvayina(m): 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

God bless your soul.. They don't know by saying new, they are accusing God of mistake...
I pity them..
The new convenant was a renewal of the convenant at Sinai... It was a convenant of everlasting peace... It has not happened because the world, is still at war. Isaiah captured it when he said "they will beat their sword into ploughshares... And they shall learn of war no more" the Messiah was supposed to usher in the era of peace in his first attempt.. No mention of second coming..

In the case of tithes, the Israelites practiced theocracy. God was their king and tithe was a form of tax.. 10% of your harvest. Which the leviites where commanded to collect for maintaining the temple and caring for the less privileged in the society... But Nigeria is a democracy.. We are expected to pay our tax to the government.. Joshua chapter 1and 2

Those paying tithe to pastors should be arrested for tax eversion and the pastors collecting should be arrested for fraud..
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Deuteronomy is About Moses, in his final days, Reminding the People to Keep and Obey The Laws, He had Obtained from God already, which he painstakingly went through each one of them, for his own personal confirmation that he has delivered God's Laws to his people.

The Laws were given an Issued in Mount Sinai from Exodus 19 to 40, where Abraham's Children are Claimed by the Lord, in Line with the Agreement God Had with Abraham.

The Contract with Isaac and Jacob is Simply A Restatement of it. Nothing was added to it, Nothing was removed from it which is what Truespeak is saying.

Ok. But I don't see the addition of that is relevant to the discussion or the questions I asked. undecided
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Ok. But I don't see the addition of that is relevant to the discussion or the questions I asked. undecided

Your earlier answer in rebutal to Truespeak was to the effect that what people call old Testament is Abolished and Rendered Inoperative, but we are saying until it is Expressly Repealed, as it was Expressly Made, it Remains in Force and in Effect Forever!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by jmoore(m): 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

And we are saying a Testament Is Always made by A Living Person, it is Not A will.

A will is a Special Testament made by the Living, in Preparation for his demise, Covering Matters he has Not Settled Before His Death or he shall not be able to settle before his death.

Therefore, what you call New Testament did not Come into Effect Before His death (which is not a death but we little people call it death), But It Was In Effect Immediately it was Declared, as an Affidavit!

Interpret from a biblical point of view!!

See verses below for better insight.

Hebrews 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

9:16 In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it,

9:17 because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.

9:18 This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Your earlier answer in rebutal to Truespeak was to the effect that what people call old Testament is Abolished and Rendered Inoperative, but we are saying until it is Expressly Repealed, as it was Expressly Made, it Remains in Force and in Effect Forever!
Jesus Christ never abolished or repealed the Old covenant laws.

However, He did put forth a new Covenant which is what Truespeak disputes.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 5:20pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Just because a old Covenant is still in existence does not mean a new one cannot exist.

Also, are you then suggesting that God lied in Jeremiah 31 and Ezekiel 36 about a new covenant? undecided

I was very clear in my answer, for they are not my words but Christ's which is to the effect that the law stands and therefore requires no other law.

For the proclamation of another law by common and reasonable reason means something was wrong with the first, for even foolish man does not do something as foolish as just proclaiming another law except to rectify, correct the old law, how much more He who does nothing in Vain, and even if foolish man were to do so, God will Never do a foolish thing.

That is my stand!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 5:21pm On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

This is my stand!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 5:21pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

Hebrews 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

9:16 In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it,

9:17 because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.

Good, The Bible is The Book of Law and Life!

"Hebrews 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant"

By this statement, what New Thing can you see that happened when Christ Came?

I have seen one, which is the discarding of the use of "Unblemished Lambs and birds" being Substituted with the A Holy Lamb from Outside this World, Holy and Pure (and of course you know our Unblemished Lambs are not Holy when Compared to Him, so Therefore, He is Definitely Greater And Better than a Billion Unblemished Lambs and goats and dove) Only Available for Those of us who want God to Forgive us Our Offences in Line with the Commandment Already Provided for our Redemption, So That we can escape His Anger as Caused By the Offences we Daily give to Him, when we do not watch ourselves!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

I was very clear in my answer, for they are not my words but Christ's which is to the effect that the law stands and therefore requires no other law.
This is what Jesus also said

Matthew 11 vs 27-30 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

truespeak:

For the proclamation of another law by common and reasonable reason means something was wrong with the first, for even foolish man does not do something as foolish as just proclaiming another law except to rectify, correct the old law, how much more He who does nothing in Vain, and even if foolish man were to do so, God will Never do a foolish thing.

That is my stand!
Well, yes, something was wrong, and God decided a need for a new one.

Did God lie in JEREMIAH 31?

Did God again lie in Ezekiel 36?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 5:30pm On Jul 12, 2020
jmoore:

Thank God this Statement is Made by Paul, A Lawyer Himself who was simply Explaining to the Hebrews, How and What the Mighty and Glorious did what He did.

And Especially the Unexpected dying part, why it was necessary for Him to do it which Was In Fulfilment of the Commandment in Exodus, which you will see in Hebrews Chapters 3,4,5 to 9.

He Talks about Abiding with the Law of Sin Offerings Detailed in Exodus, word for word.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 5:41pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:

A law once is made remains in force until repealed. Additional laws can be made thereafter but until the law is repealed, it continues to operate and remains in force.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 5:44pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

A law once is made remains in force until repealed. Additional laws can be made thereafter but until the law is repealed, it continues to operate and remains in force.

the law was not abolished or repealed . Jesus was clear about that so that is over with. If you want to live by the old, without a promise of heaven and eternal life, that is your choice.

Now please answer the questions. Did God lie about a new Covenant in Jeremiah 31 and in Ezekiel 36?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 5:46pm On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Help me tell am ooo. We don dey do merry go round since grin
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 5:46pm On Jul 12, 2020
sonmvayina:

In the case of tithes, the Israelites practiced theocracy. God was their king and tithe was a form of tax.. 10% of your harvest. Which the leviites where commanded to collect for maintaining the temple and caring for the less privileged in the society... But Nigeria is a democracy.. We are expected to pay our tax to the government.. Joshua chapter 1and 2

Those paying tithe to pastors should be arrested for tax eversion and the pastors collecting should be arrested for fraud..

Tithe is not a Tax, even though they resemble each other.

Tax is a wicked Creation of men, but Tithe is Something Else, That is Good, and Good Children are already doing it.

And like Christ Asked Peter "who are the people that pay taxes, is it the Children of the House or Strangers?"

That question should give you an idea of what God Has in His Heart!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On Jul 12, 2020
truespeak:

Help me tell am ooo. We don dey do merry go round since grin
you are the one who keeps evading questions asked you only tp inject irrelevant information whenever you want.

Notice that i have asked you the very same question at least 4 times now and each time you have chosen to evade so you can inject another irrelevant detail
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On Jul 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Tithe is not a Tax, even though they resemble each other.

Tax is a wicked Creation of men, but Tithe is Something Else, That is Good, and Good Children are already doing it.

And like Christ Asked Peter "who are the people that pay taxes, is it the Children of the House or Strangers?"

That question should give you an idea of what God Has in His Heart!

NO, Tithe is the tax system God carefully set up in the old covenant for the descendants of Israel.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by sonmvayina(m): 5:53pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Concerning jerimiah 31,
Thank you for raising your important issue. Before I begin, I would just like to note that Christian and Jewish Bibles number the verses of Jeremiah 31 differently. The Christian Bible begins Chapter 31 one verse earlier than the Torah, beginning with what in the Torah is the final verse of Ch. 30. Thus, when Christians raise the issue of the New Covenant of Jeremiah 31:31, they are speaking of what to us is 31:30. Below I will follow the Jewish numbering.

Jeremiah (11:10), as well as Ezekiel (16:59) do say that as a nation, Israel broke its covenant with God. But the Torah clearly states that even so, God held firm in His relationship with us, renewing it in spite of Israel’s failings. Although Ezekiel 16:59 states that God will deal as harshly with us as we did with Him, verse 60 concludes: “I will remember My covenant with you of the days of your youth, and I will establish it for you as an everlasting covenant.

A similar theme appears in Leviticus 26. God enumerates terrible punishments He will inflict upon Israel for breaking His Torah, including annulling His covenant (v. 15). Yet at the end of the chapter (vv. 44-45), He promises:

“And even with this, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not be disgusted with them, nor will I abhor them to destroy them and break My covenant with them, for I am the Lord their God. And I will remember the covenant with the first ones, whom I took out of the Land of Egypt before the eyes of the nations, to be a God for them. I am the Lord.”

This in fact is a recurring theme throughout the Prophets – that in spite of Israel’s lapses, God will never let go of us nor allow us to lose sight of our cosmic mission. See especially Ezekiel 20:32-37, as well as Isaiah 54:8-10, Psalms 105:8-10 and Genesis 17:7.

Jeremiah 31:30 follows this same pattern. Although it does state that God will create a new covenant, it clearly states that it will be with the House of Israel and the House of Judah. It further continues that as part of the covenant God would place His Torah upon our hearts (v. 32). Thus, even though we had broken our original covenant with God, He will create a newer stronger one in its place – but still with Israel and again commanding us to observe His Torah. The new covenant did not abrogate the original one to keep the Torah nor was it directed towards all the nations. As vv. 34-35 continue, Israel will continue to be God’s nation so long as the sun shines, the moon rises, and the surf breaks upon the coast.

In addition, as is clear from the verses, this renewal of the covenant will be with both the houses of Judah and Israel (i.e., with both the southern kingdom of Judah and the northern kingdom of the Ten Tribes). This clearly did not occur in Jesus’s time, when the Ten Tribes had already been dispersed. Jeremiah also states that at the time of this renewal, there will be universal knowledge of God (“for they will all know Me” (v. 33)). This too did not occur in Jesus’s day but is rather a reference to the End of Days.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 5:53pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
the law was not abolished or repealed . Jesus was clear about that so that is over with. If you want to live by the old, without a promise of heaven and eternal life, that is your choice.

Now please answer the questions. Did God lie about a new Covenant in Jeremiah 31 and in Ezekiel 36?

Ehen na! That is what I have been saying since!

Now let me read Jeremiah and Ezekiel

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Gospel According To Judas / Efcc Probes Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Over Money Laundering / Theunusualmoon And The Christian God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.