Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing (2623 Views)

If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? / We Are Not Under The Laws But Are Expected To Obey The Law / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Judybash93(m): 1:16pm On Jul 13, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Ha! Na wah oh, again when did Bible instruct any one to own slaves?

And I can see that you are using that wicked bible that insist on calling it "slaves" which is a wickedness and which I know that the Lord will Never ever Support, but you love that word and that bible because it fuels your hatred for God and it propells your anger towards him.

KJV calls it servant which is acceptable, because servants are employees with Natural Rights but slaves are possessions.

I am an authority on the because it is my Job to go after all forms of Bads, wrongs, wickedness and evil!

And while you referred me to Exodus 21:20, you therefore must have seen what God had in mind in Verse 2, but you would discard that one and not see it because you want to Hate, which says

"If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing."

Among other Acceptance and Naturalization Procedures, if he chooses to be an Isrealite.

Does any of these Laws sound Wicked?

Exodus 21:20 & 21
"20And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished."

Do we not Scream and are wont to hit our employees when they do wrong?

Is this not a Law of Reasonable Correction breach of which You Shall Be Brought Before A Just Court of Righteous Men for Just Evaluation and Judgment?

Verse 21
"21Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money."

Do you not know that it is the Law of Reasonable Cause of Death, which is any harm causing death, brought upon an employee, within 2 days, the employer is liable for killing in verse 1.

And you do not know that The Righteous Judges in the Land heard all matters and gave judgment to the people, including servants.

Isreal would not be a Holy Nation if it Condoned any faoe of wrongdoing not to talk of even wickedness, which I know you are searching to impugn on the Lord!

The issue i was trying to raise is that both of us can cherry pick from the Bible and come to different conclusions. Moreover the Bible condones slavery. I don't how you can justify that. The same Bible that says thou shalt not kill is the same Bible where God instructed people to annihilate a group of people for not believing in him/her. It's also the same book where the wages of adultery is stoning.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 1:31pm On Jul 13, 2020
Judybash93:

The issue i was trying to raise is that both of us can cherry pick from the Bible and come to different conclusions. Moreover the Bible condones slavery. I don't how you can justify that. The same Bible that says thou shalt not kill is the same Bible where God instructed people to annihilate a group of people for not believing in him/her. It's also the same book where the wages of adultery is stoning.

You raised issues, I answered you have not rebutted, you raise another one I yet again replied and you did not rebut.

And you are here again another fresh issue. Even in the light of Clear Truth, Proven by Laws, you see Wickedness.

A Wickedness established by wicked people, which the Good will Never Do.

But You Do Not Listen to the Good, Yet You expect not to have Rapes, Robbings, Kidnappings, Murders and you guys have filled the earth with your Wickedness.

This world ain't seen nothing yet, you guys are going eat your Wickedness and Evil until it comes out of your eyes, your noses, your ears and your pores.

And you shall all cry for the wickedness but the Lord is Never going to hear.

You have been severally warned you can not plant stone and harvest yam, Never

The world has planted Wickedness, They are going to eat Wickednesses.

They crying for corona virus, and murders, More is Coming!

The world ain't seen nothing yet!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Judybash93(m): 1:37pm On Jul 13, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

You raised issues, I answered you have not rebutted, you raise another one I yet again replied and you did not rebut.

And you are here again another fresh issue. Even in the light of Clear Truth, Proven by Laws, you see Wickedness.

A Wickedness established by wicked people, which the Good will Never Do.

But You Do Not Listen to the Good, Yet You expect not to have Rapes, Robbings, Kidnappings, Murders and you guys have filled the earth with your Wickedness.

This world ain't seen nothing yet, you guys are going eat your Wickedness and Evil until it comes out of your eyes, your noses, your ears and your pores.

And you shall all cry for the wickedness but the Lord is Never going to hear.

You have been severally warned you can not plant stone and harvest yam, Never

The world has planted Wickedness, They are going to eat Wickednesses.

They crying for corona virus, and murders, More is Coming!

The world ain't seen nothing yet!

Yet, your god is so merciful. I see no reason to refute anything that isn't grounded in reason. You said the world was full of rapists and all em bad people and that's why good decided to destroy the world and you accept that. Why should i respond to that?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
sonmvayina:

In light of Amos 3 :7.. Who did he tell about this plan?

I really want to understand why you people keep insisting this was God's plan?

Amos 3 already tells you Everything Began in Egypt!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 1:51pm On Jul 13, 2020
Judybash93:

Yet, your god is so merciful. I see no reason to refute anything that isn't grounded in reason. You said the world was full of rapists and all em bad people and that's why good decided to destroy the world and you accept that. Why should i respond to that?

Fools are deceiving you with mercy talk so that you can go on and carry on your usual Wickedness.

You did not hear "He beareth not the sword in vain"

Keep Screaming Mercy until the Sword Chops you into Pieces.

Is it me who is getting the blow from the Sword? Nope

There is nothing to respond to, I am saying that the world has planted evil and Wickedness, it Shall Eat it Bountifully!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Acehart: 1:54pm On Jul 13, 2020
Judybash93:

If slavery was never mentioned in the Bible, would it exist? Slavery existed before a dot in the Bible was penned, it still exists after the Bible was written; so how then do you blame the Bible for the furtherance of slavery?

I would like you to know that God knew slavery existed, and his desire was: when his people get their country, not one person would be a poor fellow or a slave, forever: Concerning these, God said:

1. For when I bring them into the land flowing with milk and honey, which I swore to their fathers, and they have eaten and are satisfied and become prosperous, then they will turn to other gods and serve them, and spurn Me and break My covenant.

2. If a countryman of yours becomes so poor with regard to you that he sells himself to you, you shall not subject him to a slave's service.

3. However, there will be no poor among you, since the Lord will surely bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance to possess, if only you listen obediently to the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all this commandment which I am commanding you today.

Point 2, shows you that God in his infinite knowledge knew a time would arise where one of his people would voluntarily offer his/herself for slavery; in His own land, He decreed that there shall be no slave. Point 1 and 3, shows you the possibility of the people breaking the covenant and thereby, engaging in slave services.

God goes on to say: “If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks. You shall generously give to him, and your heart shall not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all your undertakings. For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.”

Slavery arises when men are stingy to the fellow men, and cause hardship to their fellow men; and God knew this and put safeguards to prevent slavery. But your subjective and incomplete evaluation of the scriptures has allowed you to disdain and even disrespect the God of Israel

You said: God instructed people to annihilate a group of people for not believing in him/her. I would have liked to ask you to furnish us with specific places in the Bible were God ordered the annihilating of a group of people based on their lack of belief in Him; I think I should ask you to do so; please, do so.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 2:00pm On Jul 13, 2020
Acehart:

If slavery was never mentioned in the Bible, would it exist? Slavery existed before a dot in the Bible was penned, it still exists after the Bible was written; so how then do you blame the Bible for the furtherance of slavery.

I would like you to know that God knew slavery existed, and his desire was when his people get their country, not one person would be a poor or a slave, forever: Concerning these, God said:

1. For when I bring them into the land flowing with milk and honey, which I swore to their fathers, and they have eaten and are satisfied and become prosperous, then they will turn to other gods and serve them, and spurn Me and break My covenant.

2. If a countryman of yours becomes so poor with regard to you that he sells himself to you, you shall not subject him to a slave's service.

3. However, there will be no poor among you, since the Lord will surely bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance to possess, if only you listen obediently to the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all this commandment which I am commanding you today.

Point 2, shows you that God in his infinite knowledge knew a time would arise where one of his people would voluntarily offer his/herself for slavery; in His own land, He decreed that there shall be no slave. Point 1 and 3, shows you that the possibility of the people breaking the covenant and therefore, engaging in slave services.

God goes on to say: “If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks. You shall generously give to him, and your heart shall not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all your undertakings. For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.”

Slavery arises when men are stingy to the fellow men and God knew this and put safeguards to prevent slavery. But your subjective and incomplete evaluation of the scriptures have allowed you to disdain and even disrespect the God of Israel

You said: God instructed people to annihilate a group of people for not believing in him/her. I would have liked to ask you to furnish us with specific places in the Bible were God ordered the annihilating of a group of people based on their lack of belief in Him; I think I should ask you to do so; please, do so.

Thank you for supplying this answer.

Many may not know how to properly answer her, but I know that there are some out there who can answer.

But she is bent on seeing God as evil, as the wicked bible she likes has helped her to maintain.

And with that soul, her evil eye will not let her see.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by sonmvayina(m): 2:12pm On Jul 13, 2020
truespeak:

Amos 3 already tells you Everything Began in Egypt!

The Lord does nothing without first revealing it to his servant, the prophet..

Which prophet prophesied that the Messiah was coming to die for sins? Who did God reveal the Jesus story to?

Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by truespeak: 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2020
sonmvayina:

Which prophet prophesied that the Messiah was coming to die for sins? Who did God reveal the Jesus story to?

Did you not hear that Abraham was a Prophet?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Judybash93(m): 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2020
Acehart:

If slavery was never mentioned in the Bible, would it exist? Slavery existed before a dot in the Bible was penned, it still exists after the Bible was written; so how then do you blame the Bible for the furtherance of slavery?

I would like you to know that God knew slavery existed, and his desire was when his people get their country, not one person would be a poor fellow or a slave, forever: Concerning these, God said:

2. If a countryman of yours becomes so poor with regard to you that he sells himself to you, [b]you shall not subject him to a slave's service[
/b].

Point 2, shows you that God in his infinite knowledge knew a time would arise where one of his people would voluntarily offer his/herself for slavery; in His own land, He decreed that there shall be no slave. Point 1 and 3, shows you the possibility of the people breaking the covenant and thereby, engaging in slave services.

Slavery arises when men are stingy to the fellow men, and cause hardship to their fellow men; and God knew this and put safeguards to prevent slavery. But your subjective and incomplete evaluation of the scriptures has allowed you to disdain and even disrespect the God of Israel

Considering god to be all knowing, he could have told them to abolish that practice. Wasn't there any other means of making people not suffer without subjecting them to that

My bad
These texts might not be based on their lack of believes but these are points where God had to wipe people off the face of the earth

Numbers 11:1-3
Numbers 16:35
Numbers 25:9
2 Kings 17:25
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Judybash93(m): 2:23pm On Jul 13, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Fools are deceiving you with mercy talk so that you can go on and carry on your usual Wickedness.

You did not hear "He beareth not the sword in vain"

Keep Screaming Mercy until the Sword Chops you into Pieces.

Is it me who is getting the blow from the Sword? Nope

There is nothing to respond to, I am saying that the world has planted evil and Wickedness, it Shall Eat it Bountifully!

Okay boss. Have a nice day
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Acehart: 2:26pm On Jul 13, 2020
sonmvayina:

1. Which prophet prophesied that the Messiah was coming to die for sins?

2. Who did God reveal the Jesus story to?

Here are your answers:

1. Daniel 9:26 And after the sixty-two weeks [of years] shall the Anointed One be cut off or killed and shall have nothing [and no one] belonging to [and defending] Him.

2. He would be a descendant of King David (Isaiah 11:1-5).

• He would be born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2).

• One would precede Him who would announce His coming (Isaiah 40:3-5; Malachi 3:1).

• His own people would reject Him (Isaiah 53:3).

• A friend would betray Him (Psalms 41:9).

• The price for His betrayal would be 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12).

• The 30 pieces of silver would buy a potter’s field (Zechariah 11:13).

• Wicked people would pierce His hands and feet (Psalms 22:16).

• He would suffer execution but without the breaking of any of His bones (Psalms 34:20).

• Others would cast lots for His garments (Psalms 22:18).

• He would be buried with the wealthy (Isaiah 53:9). Jesus Would Not Stay Buried but Rose from the Dead (Psalm 16:10)

• God would resurrect Him from the grave (Psalms 16:10). Jesus was Silent before His Accusers (Isaiah 53:7)
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Acehart: 2:50pm On Jul 13, 2020
Judybash93:

Considering god to be all knowing, he could have told them to abolish that practice. Wasn't there any other means of making people not suffer without subjecting them to that

My bad
These texts might not be based on their lack of believes but these are points where God had to wipe people off the face of the earth

Numbers 11:1-3
Numbers 16:35
Numbers 25:9
2 Kings 17:25

The bolden is not coherent. Please, make me understand what you are saying. Secondly, when quoting someone, to avoid deviations, we should stick to what was said: He or she mentioned annihilation based on unbelief; my question was based on her object - unbelief. However, you have asked your question based God intents and purposes. God does whatever He likes; can a broken plate ask the housewife why she threw it into the garbage can?

You listed a few bible texts to indicate that God is a mass murderer; It would have been nice of you to show us why the antagonists and destiny derailing agents were wiped off. It would have been a wonderful gesture to reveal why false prophets were killed by God. It would have been nice, also, to disclose to us why you God chose to cause a pandemic to kill 24,000 people who chose to be a pandemic among his people and would rather chose to Bleep prostitutes instead of moving forward in life after forty years of stagnation. It would be all the more nicer if you would disclose why God caused lions to kill people who would not love each other but defile themselves and break every sane law known to man: These are the scriptures you have to me to show that God is kind in limiting the years of man sworn to commit every abominable thing - isn’t that mercy?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Judybash93(m): 3:14pm On Jul 13, 2020
Acehart:

The bolden is not coherent. Please, make me understand what you are saying. Secondly, when quoting someone, to avoid deviations, we should stick to what was said: He or she mentioned annihilation based on unbelief; my question was based on her object - unbelief. However, you have asked your question based God intents and purposes. God does whatever He likes; can a broken plate ask the housewife why she threw it into the garbage can?

You listed a few bible texts to indicate that God is a mass murderer; It would have been nice of you to show us why the antagonists and destiny derailing agents were wiped off. It would have been a wonderful gesture to reveal why false prophets were killed by God. It would have been nice, also, to disclose to us why you God chose to cause a pandemic to kill 24,000 people who chose to be a pandemic among his people and would rather chose to Bleep prostitutes instead of moving forward in life after forty years of stagnation. It would be all the more nicer if you would disclose why God caused lions to kill people who would not love each other but defile themselves and break every sane law known to man: These are the scriptures you have to me to show that God is kind in limiting the years of man sworn to commit every abominable thing - isn’t that mercy?

"God does whatever He likes; can a broken plate ask the housewife why she threw it into the garbage can?"

Wow!!! How does this analogy even fit what you're saying?

How can you demonstrate this?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Acehart: 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2020
Judybash93:

"God does whatever He likes; can a broken plate ask the housewife why she threw it into the garbage can?"

Wow!!! How does this analogy even fit what you're saying?

How can you demonstrate this?

God is the housewife
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Jul 13, 2020
Anigreat:
It's only in old testament that i have seen the word "tithe" been mentioned.

There's no place in the new testament that directly speak on tithing except in the old testament.

Most christians, preachers of the gospel, pastors etc. Do not subscribe to the laws of the old testament, as they feel , the laws was given to the Jews back then, and the laws are no longer effective since Jesus Christ came to die on earth.

If we're not under laws but grace as most preachers would make us to hear; that Jesus christ rendered the laws useless since from the day he died on the cross. Why then can we for go all the commandments of the old testament, why do we stick to tithing.

I'm just a curious christian, i need an answer to my question. Thanks!

One word, Ignorance!
Many so-called Christians remain ignorant of who Jesus Christ really is and what role He ought to occupy in their lives, beliefs and conducts.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2020
truespeak:

I can and I always can. The Law does not Prohibit me from doing it even Today.

It's my animals, it's my land, it's my sacrifice!

grin

Such is not needed in the new dispensation. That is why Jesus is referred to as the lamb of God whose blood was shed on calvary. We need no bloodshed again.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by sonmvayina(m): 6:59pm On Jul 13, 2020
truespeak:

Did you not hear that Abraham was a Prophet?

Lol... Very funny.. Just like captain America was a real American soldier..
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by WizzyVine: 9:34pm On Jul 15, 2020
Judybash93:

I'm not in bonds. Your response isn't understandable, what does your answer have to do with what i said btw... So, you believe that the polar bears made a journey from the artic to the Middle East? Moreover, the flood was apparently something that was worldwide, what did the other people on other continents do since God was only communicating with Noah in the middle East...

Don't be confused. As at that time, human beings have not spread. The human race began to spread only after the flood. Years after the flood, In Genesis 11, they built a tower to keep themselves together. God confused their language, and then they spread into various continents.

According to Genesis 10:25 and 1 Chronicles 1:19, it was during the time of Peleg that "the earth was divided" – this is after the failure of Nimrod's Tower of Babel.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by WizzyVine: 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
Kobojunkie:

What church/denomination do you belong to? undecided

I belong to the body of Christ.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by WizzyVine: 9:40pm On Jul 15, 2020
sonmvayina:

Lol... Very funny.. Just like captain America was a real American soldier..

He's correct. Abraham was a Prophet: Genesis 20:7.
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On Jul 15, 2020
WizzyVine:
I belong to the body of Christ.
Oh ok. Do you listen to particular pastors either online or in person?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by sonmvayina(m): 10:31pm On Jul 15, 2020
WizzyVine:

What did he prophesy about?
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by WizzyVine: 10:51pm On Jul 15, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Oh ok. Do you listen to particular pastors either online or in person?

I listen to so many pastors but I listen more to the Holy Spirit. As far as the scripture is concerned, I cannot be confused, for "He teaches me all things."
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by WizzyVine: 10:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
sonmvayina:

God said he is, and I believe it. But wait, what is your definition of a prophet? A prophet is anyone who tells forth or foretells the Word of God by the help of the Holy Spirit. Did you read that scripture I quoted above, or you want to query the Holy Spirit who wrote the Scripture? Talking about Abraham, that verse reads "...for he is a prophet."
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by xproducer: 6:12am On Jul 16, 2020
Judybash93:

We were told that the Bible is the inspired word of god. How did you as an individual believe in this? You seem to believe the Bible wholeheartedly...

====

I thank the Lord GOD... call it grace.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

Romans 10:12-14
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 7:38am On Jul 16, 2020
WizzyVine:

Thank You WizzyVine!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Dtruthspeaker: 7:59am On Jul 16, 2020
sonmvayina:

Is A True Prophet not Appointed by God Himself? Genesis 20:7

Is a Prophet not also one who hears from God? Genesis 15:13-15.

Is a Prophet not also one who speaks with God? Genesis 17: 3-22

Is a Prophet not one who speaks and God Confirms his word? Genesis 20:17

But we know that you are a Hater of God and you really do not have any business here, so get out of this thread and go to your own people's thread!
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by sonmvayina(m): 11:42am On Jul 16, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Is A True Prophet not Appointed by God Himself? Genesis 20:7

Is a Prophet not also one who hears from God? Genesis 15:13-15.

Is a Prophet not also one who speaks with God? Genesis 17: 3-22

Is a Prophet not one who speaks and God Confirms his word? Genesis 20:17

But we know that you are a Hater of God and you really do not have any business here, so get out of this thread and go to your own people's thread!

You are really not well at all
Re: Why Do Christians Reject Old Testament Laws But Stick To Tithing by Naijanascam: 8:35pm On Jan 07, 2022
Because it concerns money............ remove money from ministry many of them will fold up and look for other ways of getting their daily bread

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Convert To Islam / Do Catholics actually Worship Mary Mother Of Jesus / Bishop David Oyedepo: Prophetic Instructions To All Winners' Family Worldwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.