Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,588 members, 7,955,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:33 PM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him (43060 Views)

Peter Obi Celebres Olusegun Obasanjo On His 86th Birthday (Photo) / Olusegun Obasanjo Celebrates His 86th Birthday / Yakubu Gowon Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Enyimbamercedes: 7:35am On Jul 13, 2020
He supported Buhari to power and called the former First Lady a hippopotamus. He was paid back in full by Femi Adeshina calling him a fiction writer

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Mhizzard(m): 7:35am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy day
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Sammy07: 7:35am On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

Do you have soft copies of some of his books?
Nope

But check if you can download the PDF
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Samirana360(m): 7:36am On Jul 13, 2020
One of the founding fathers of cultism
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by coputa(m): 7:39am On Jul 13, 2020
tobechi74:
i love the fact that he still worships his tradituonal rekigion rather than imported one
If you love it,which do you worship.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Gerrard59(m): 7:39am On Jul 13, 2020
ekestic1976:

You're very impossible. Think you can reach up to Soyinka's age? No way!

You should know by now that so-called curses through the Internet do not work. OP reeled out uncommon facts about WS and I added one. Why are you pissed up? Was WS not 50 years old when Buhari became HoS in 1983?

Modified: I went through your posts and unsurprisingly, you are a chronic, vile and hungry tribalist.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:
Born Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka on the 13th July, 1934 into a Yoruba family—Remo—in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. He is a playwright, poet, essayist and an activist.
Uncommon Facts about him:

Seun, I learnt you are also an alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University. Please take note that the Ori-Olokun that is found in the Museum is only a travesty. It is also quite unfortunate that the same fake image is used as the University Crest while the real artifact remains somewhere close to London

Source: His books, majorly his personal memoirs
Lalasticlala, I spent my weekend preparing this . Kindly let me take your position in posting this one Birthday for today
I'm currently sipping from a bottle of Heineken in honour!
I respect him.He is a legend.
Happy birthday to him.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Joshkouture: 7:42am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:
Born Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka on the 13th July, 1934 into a Yoruba family—Remo—in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. He is a playwright, poet, essayist and an activist.

Seun, I learnt you are also an alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University. Please take note that the Ori-Olokun that is found in the Museum is only a travesty. It is also quite unfortunate that the same fake image is used as the University Crest while the real artifact remains somewhere close to London

Lalasticlala, I spent my weekend preparing this . Kindly let me take your position in posting this one Birthday for today

Can I also conclude that he was the founder and pioneer of Pyrates Confraternity in 1952.
Op I hope a sip of Heineken didn't make you forget that fact of all things.

Please be reminded that noble laureate is not Noble character.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Oksoluk10: 7:46am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday Sir,

I envy those that live up to 60, 70, 80 and above.

They're lucky ones. I don't even imagine myself

living up to those figures even at this my late

20's, life is boring to me already
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by seguno2: 7:47am On Jul 13, 2020
ChoCho54:
Las Las, ordinary Buhari decieved him.

grin cheesy

Bad girl.
Why do you utter wicked truth like this wink

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 7:50am On Jul 13, 2020
Although W.S was a chorister born into a Christian devoted home of an Anglican Minister and head master of a missionary school, he is today a devoted Ogun deity worshipper.
This is contrary to the popular belief that he is an atheist. His writings, memoirs, interviews and indulgence has proved him to believe so much in the Yoruba tradition and Ogun deity.
His book, Idanre was dedicated to Ogun deity.
Every year he sacrifices a ram for his family—or, to be specific, for his children.

I knew it! I knew he cannot remain an atheist. No one remains an atheist. Atheism is nothingness, which leads to emptiness and translates to death. Humans cannot exist in nothingness. It's why we have our imaginations. I always knew Wole cannot be an atheist. I wanted to carry out research, but there is no need.

Cc Xafra
Madeinchenzen
Badradio
Caplocks
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:

You didn't add he dedicated his Nobel lecture to Nelson Mandela and the fight for freedom. For those who speak less of him to know. Badradio
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Sebbs(m): 7:54am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday to you baba
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by babytoun: 7:54am On Jul 13, 2020
No birthday wish from me to the father of campus cultism in Nigeria
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 13, 2020
Joshkouture:

Can I also conclude that he was the founder and pioneer of Pyrates Confraternity in 1952.
Op I hope a sip of Heineken didn't make you forget that fact of all things.

Please be reminded that noble laureate is not Noble character.

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by lowaist101: 7:59am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday to prof Wole Soyinka
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by imdavid704(f): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2020
SweetCarrots:
Get in here
chai ordinary statue has left this country long time ago, the statue is chilling in London aaah God when
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by NewDelhi(m): 8:01am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:

No source? Some of the bullshit you write up there might be fake.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Burgerlomo: 8:09am On Jul 13, 2020
HBD sir. I wish you long life and good health. cool
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 13, 2020
HBD legend. My only wish is that you come back to Christ before leaving us. LLNP.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by seanwilliam(m): 8:23am On Jul 13, 2020
Oksoluk10:
Happy birthday Sir,

I envy those that live up to 60, 70, 80 and above.

They're lucky ones. I don't even imagine myself

living up to those figures even at this my late

20's, life is boring to me already
what are you going through ?? You are depressed....

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 13, 2020
emkz:

He went through three/four wives and was recently diagnosed with cancer.

I know he was diagnosed with prostate cancer which was treated. Is this another form of cancer?
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by PHAYOL81: 8:29am On Jul 13, 2020
jrusky:
No 6.

Every reasonable members read that No 6 again and again. Then keep the fact in your heart for future references

Quite true. And also no 16. Read and go through it again. There's a message in it for future reference.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by ChoCho54(f): 8:31am On Jul 13, 2020
seguno2:

grin cheesy

Bad girl.
Why do you utter wicked truth like this wink
You talk true you die, you talk lie you still die...Dino Omo Alaye

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by toprealman: 8:32am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
Nothing like a true icon living to a ripe old age!
HBD to a true legend!

But this shows it’s not from eating vegetables and avoiding danger and all that. WS didn’t do any of that. Infact I heard he didn’t drink water for ten years - only wine! The way he lived guaranteed he’d die young. Yet here we are!
You know what it means not to drink water for a day?
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by McTobe(m): 8:33am On Jul 13, 2020
Founders Day Celebration Sally at PC Ankor Points Nationwide
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 13, 2020
Damn the Nigerian Nathan Drake gringrin. This guy's adventures need to be recorded, if I get money I go make film of am I swear.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 8:37am On Jul 13, 2020
Thank you very much Lalasticlala or the mod that pushed my post to the promise land. You've made my day!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by optimusprime2(m): 8:38am On Jul 13, 2020
@he speaks French...
#Respect
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 13, 2020
Enyimbamercedes:
He supported Buhari to power and called the former First Lady a hippopotamus. He was paid back in full by Femi Adeshina calling him a fiction writer
Fiction writer. Is that an insult? Shift abeg. Jonathan and Buhari are both thieves the only difference is the latter is just a wasted dry vegetable.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Gee64: 8:42am On Jul 13, 2020
A literary giant.

An academic guru.

Happy Birthday to you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari: We Feared Jonathan will Not Accept Defeat - Vanguard / Boko Haram Attack: Governor Zulum Tackles Army After Attack On His Convoy / Federal Capital Cows: Cattle, motorists finding space on Abuja road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.