Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him (42625 Views)

Peter Obi Celebres Olusegun Obasanjo On His 86th Birthday (Photo) / Olusegun Obasanjo Celebrates His 86th Birthday / Yakubu Gowon Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by TuFab(f): 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday sir...I love u.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by JastSiryin(m): 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2020
since he "habitually scooped up his student’s brains after filling them with knowledge"... That sentence was like a punchline. Damn! That shit hit different grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by PrinceKenne(m): 6:55pm On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday to the man I cherish so much
The the man I look up to academically
An epitome of courage
The voice himself
A Noble Laurette
Here is wishing you more prosperous years in sound health sir

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by LilWarshy(m): 7:49pm On Jul 13, 2020
yemiosinbajo:
Damn, Soyinka is not an Ogun worshiper. He is an atheist! The first fact on your list is arrogantly wrong!!
Soyinka is proudly traditional worshipper just like his cousin Fela. Maybe you misinterpreted one of his interview when he was talking about God or something similar.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 13, 2020
LilWarshy:

Soyinka is proudly traditional worshipper just like his cousin Fela. Maybe you misinterpreted one of his interview when he was talking about God or something similar.
He's not a traditional worshipper. He only acknowledges and has deep respect for Yoruba's traditional deities, majorly Ogun, myths and legends.

Having reverence for a god or a great person is different from believing in or worshipping such as God.

This interview conducted in Belgium debunks the misinformation OP is peddling in that article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hE9m0qC-Pk

https://www.nairaland.com/5988006/wole-soyinka-not-ogun-worshipper
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 13, 2020
Mind you, most of those deities were normal humans that lived in the ancient past and were diefied by people for achieving extraordinary feats.

But the people that diefied and worshipped them had added too much exaggerations to their traits and achievements, making them appear as objects of myth.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by LilWarshy(m): 8:54pm On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

He's not a traditional worshipper. He only acknowledges and has deep respect for Yoruba's traditional deities, majorly Ogun, myths and legends.

Having reverence for a god or a great person is different from believing in or worshipping such as God.

This interview conducted in Belgium debunks the misinformation OP is peddling in that article.

'Acknowledges and having respect for Yoruba's traditional deities' what is the difference. Yoruba spirituality is not religion anyway, I may be wronged using the word 'Worshipper' instead. I've watched the interview some times ago, he was just trying rounding perspective.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by imustsaymymindo: 10:30pm On Jul 13, 2020
Extra: He was a musician at some point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Adasun(m): 10:57pm On Jul 13, 2020
okoeye:
Direct UK used laptops @ affordable prices
just like dat?no info
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 11:55pm On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

I appreciate your contribution but I had no intention of responding to you because of your attempt to turn the thread into one full of arguments.

I'll be quick. What is atheism? When you define atheism properly, then you will see no reason for creating a counter thread.
You keep talking about muse. If one beliefs in the existence of a god, does that still make him an atheist?
Soyinka has repeatedly made reference to Ogun, spoken and written extensively about a "god". Does that still make him an atheist?
There are logical and technical reasonings and sides to things and it's not necessary trying to dispute them.

As for the video, I have watched it months back repeatedly that I could almost quote him word for word. That's how much I am into him. It did not in anyway dispute the fact that he believes or doesn't believe in Ogun.
If one doesn't believe in a Christian god—or a Muslim, it doesn't make one an atheist. Okay?
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 12:06am On Jul 14, 2020
LilWarshy:

'Acknowledges and having respect for Yoruba's traditional deities' what is the difference. Yoruba spirituality is not religion anyway, I may be wronged using the word 'Worshipper' instead. I've watched the interview some times ago, he was just trying rounding perspective.
Perhaps, if i had seen your comment earlier, I wouldn't have bothered explaining to him what atheism is like I did in the comment above
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 14, 2020
Officialgarri:

I appreciate your contribution but I had no intention of responding to you because of your attempt to turn the thread into one full of arguments.

I'll be quick. What is atheism? When you define atheism properly, then you will see no reason for creating a counter thread.
You keep talking about muse. If one beliefs in the existence of a god, does that still make him an atheist?
Soyinka has repeatedly made reference to Ogun, spoken and written extensively about a "god". Does that still make him an atheist?
There are logical and technical reasonings and sides to things and it's not necessary trying to dispute them.

As for the video, I have watched it months back repeatedly that I could almost quote him word for word. That's how much I am into him. It did not in anyway dispute the fact that he believes or doesn't believe in Ogun.
If one doesn't believe in a Christian god—or a Muslim, it doesn't make one an atheist. Okay?
You don't understand what atheism is all about? Atheism is broad. Atheism means disbelief in the existence of a god.

Some atheists see beings worshipped by religious people as mere humans, not gods.

Also, reverence (showing deep respect) for a person is different from worship. Your number one point is simply misinformation.

No argument about it.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Officialgarri: 12:20am On Jul 14, 2020
gensteejay:

You don't understand what atheism is all about? Atheism is broad. Atheism means disbelief in the existence of a god.

Some atheists see beings worshipped by religious people as mere humans, not gods.

Also, reverence (showing deep respect) for a person is different from worship. Your number one point is simply misinformation.

No argument about it.
And did Soyinka address Ogun in his books as a god or not?
Kindly watch that video you posted and understand his perspective on religion.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 12:31am On Jul 14, 2020
Officialgarri:

And did Soyinka address Ogun in his books as a god or not?
Yes, as a god. There's difference between saying "Ogun is a god in Yorubaland" and "saying Ogun is my god."

If I say Allah is the Muslim god, that's different from saying Allah is my god as a Muslim.

And if you're familiar with Yoruba history, especially before Christianity and Islam entered Nigeria, you will know many of those gods and goddesses were real people that ruled different parts of Yorubaland and were deified due to some extraordinary feats they achieved for their people.

If people like WS, Messi, Ronaldo lived in the era of Ogun, Sango, Eshu, and co, humans in that period (due to their low level of intelligence and scientific development then) would have deified and worshipped them.

A number of atheists don't just regard those deities as gods, but as normal humans that were deified by primitive people due to their low level of intelligence.

So, if an atheist considers Ogun, for instance, as his muse, it doesn't mean he regards him as his own god but as a source of inspiration (which doesn't really have to involve worship but reverence).

Nowhere did WS say he worships Ogun as God.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by McTobe(m): 11:47am On Jul 14, 2020
What did you say? That Prof WS is to be blamed for cultism in Nigerian Higher institutions? So your Dad is to blame for all your misbehaviors as because he was a co-player in a procreative process that brought you into being. How about that. National Association of SEADOG(NAS) is in all states of the federation and you are not more responsible than the members neither do you contribute more to the course of the downtrodden and oppressed than that association. So be more logical in your reasoning my friend.
babytoun:

see what I said ...

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by funlo2013: 12:25pm On Jul 14, 2020
Give your hear to Christ today!. Tomorrow may be too late!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 20, 2020
Happy Birthday to the Professor.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2020
Nooil:

You didn't add he dedicated his Nobel lecture to Nelson Mandela and the fight for freedom. For those who speak less of him to know. Badradio
tongue
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 06, 2020
Nooil:

I knew it! I knew he cannot remain an atheist. No one remains an atheist. Atheism is nothingness, which leads to emptiness and translates to death. Humans cannot exist in nothingness. It's why we have our imaginations. I always knew Wole cannot be an atheist. I wanted to carry out research, but there is no need.

Cc Xafra
Madeinchenzen
Badradio
Caplocks
tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari's Executive Order Number 6 / 2023: Osinbajo’s Presidential Posters Flood Osun / Omoyele Sowore Reacts After Being Accused Of Having Over $1 Million. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.