Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,643 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him (42676 Views)

Peter Obi Celebres Olusegun Obasanjo On His 86th Birthday (Photo) / Olusegun Obasanjo Celebrates His 86th Birthday / Yakubu Gowon Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by queenitee(f): 8:43am On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

Do you have soft copies of some of his books?
Can you please share if you come across any?
Good morning
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Dididrumz(m): 8:43am On Jul 13, 2020
emkz:
Hushpupi's gay thread hit 8 pages. Let us promote Wole Soyinka's thread to double that, if not for anything, to prove that we celebrate our iconic figures that make our country proud.

Wole Soyinka famously published a full page newspaper advert where he rubbished IBB for wishing him a happy 80th birthday.

He cofounded the famous pirates confraternity, whose objectives were to fight for the rights of black students.

He finished with an upper second class degree from the University of Leeds.

He went through three/four wives and was recently diagnosed with cancer.

He and Obasanjo intensely hate each other, I hope to understand why some day.

He and Chinua Achebe respected each other.

He has a deep, powerful and commanding voice that gets everyone's attention whenever he speaks.

Dear Nairalanders, write your impressions about Wole Soyinka even if you quote others like the OP, this is a man we must celebrate in the face of Hushpupi, Magu. And perhaps, the education Moderators can serialize exploits of Nigerian academics abroad who can inspire the readers. News from Hushpupi, Magu, PDP and APC can be very depressing.

PS: I hope Nollywood does a movie on him soon.

They really need to make a movie about Him.
And it's best to do that before He passes on.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 13, 2020
queenitee:

Can you please share if you come across any?
Good morning
All right.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Goodybagyo1(m): 8:50am On Jul 13, 2020
Cultist
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday WS, the undisputed icon.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by queenitee(f): 8:52am On Jul 13, 2020
gensteejay:

All right.
Thank you
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by phemmyfour: 8:53am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

No, what it shows is that there’s a lot we don’t know. 1000 years from now it may be found that health experts of today were full of shít!
you are wrong. The way our body reacts to what we eat or drinks differs. WS might just belong to the 1% that gets away with it.

Since you are not sure of your body capability, why not stay it water. At least its proven 100%....no one stay with water and regrets later
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Buffalo2(m): 8:54am On Jul 13, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
Nothing like a true icon living to a ripe old age!
HBD to a true legend!

But this shows it’s not from eating vegetables and avoiding danger and all that. WS didn’t do any of that. Infact I heard he didn’t drink water for ten years - only wine! The way he lived guaranteed he’d die young. Yet here we are!
Do you mind those "drink water, eat vegetables and sleep 8 hours a day" apostles? All na wack to me. Live life as it pleases you and enjoy it to the fullest
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by babytoun: 8:54am On Jul 13, 2020
McTobe:
Founders Day Celebration Sally at PC Ankor Points Nationwide

see what I said ...
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by HBB1(m): 8:57am On Jul 13, 2020
Most men only exist...

Wole Soyinka however, has lived!

Legend!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by aswani(m): 8:59am On Jul 13, 2020
Can I just also mention that, apart from those that sadly died in the war, Wole Soyinka suffered more than most for the cause of Biafra?

He was not only imprisoned in Kirikiri prison during the war, he was also put in solitary confinement and chained to the floor.

This is a Yoruba man who could have easily kept his mouth shut and carried on in his life during that dark period on the Nations history.

Instead he decided to voice his opinion loudly and clearly about the unfairness of the war which cost him his freedom amongst other things.

Just something worth bearing in mind.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Aarondan(m): 9:01am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:
Born Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka on the 13th July, 1934 into a Yoruba family—Remo—in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. He is a playwright, poet, essayist and an activist.
Uncommon Facts about him:

9. Happy birthday emeritus

Seun, I learnt you are also an alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University. Please take note that the Ori-Olokun that is found in the Museum is only a travesty. It is also quite unfortunate that the same fake image is used as the University Crest while the real artifact remains somewhere close to London

Source: His books, majorly his personal memoirs
Lalasticlala, I spent my weekend preparing this . Kindly let me take your position in posting this one Birthday for today
I'm currently sipping from a bottle of Heineken in honour!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Malawian(m): 9:04am On Jul 13, 2020
Me and Captain Blood dey share birthday? Msheew.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 13, 2020
Sammy07:

Go and read his book "Dawn or Idanre" you'll see where he said it.
Can you post proofs from prof. Wole Soyinka's books or poems where he categorically stated he worships Ogun?

As far as I can tell, he's one of the foremost atheists and irreligionists in Nigeria and Africa.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_Africa

In his book, "Climate of Fear: The Quest for Dignity in a Dehumanized World", which was published in 2007, he said, "I already had certain agnostic tendencies—which would later develop into outright atheistic convictions— so it was not that I believed in any kind of divine protection."

In an interview with the Academy of Achievements in 2009, while answering a question about religion, he said: "I learned very early of traditional deities (of the) Yorùbá: Ogun, for instance, God of Iron, the Road, Poetry, et cetera; Shango, God of Lightning.

"I found the traditional religions far more fascinating, because they didn’t force me to go to the regular service and dress up and things like that. A bit more relaxed, more humanist in my view. But it didn’t mean that I didn’t like the other religions either. I was a member of the church choir quite early, because I liked music, and in any case, as a son of the headmaster who was also a deacon...

"I think both my parents tried too hard, so I rebelled quite early and found myself more attuned to a comparative approach to religions, comparative." https://achievement.org/achiever/wole-soyinka/#interview

He considers Ogun as his Muse (a source of inspiration and patron) but doesn't worship him as God.

Therefore, he's an atheist not an Ogun worshipper.

CC: Officialgarri

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by babytoun: 9:06am On Jul 13, 2020
After reading no 3 and no 17 and you still believe the group he formed on campus wasn't a cult group ...your brain needs a reset ..

NO HONOUR FOR THE GRAND PATRON OF CAMPUS CULTISM IN NIGERIA
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by sesan85(m): 9:06am On Jul 13, 2020
Sailor22:
Without Christ. He is nothing.
To hell with your non-existent Christ!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by kindredspirit(m): 9:08am On Jul 13, 2020
An Ahoy and many more Ruff Sayles Oh my Cap'n Blud of Tortuga !
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by sesan85(m): 9:09am On Jul 13, 2020
Enyimbamercedes:
He supported Buhari to power and called the former First Lady a hippopotamus. He was paid back in full by Femi Adeshina calling him a fiction writer
Whatever, Osu Boy! Keep crying over the Nobel Prize he won because the tribalistic old clown Achebe couldn't win it. We're enjoying your tears!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by usah4(m): 9:09am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy Birthday Soyinka
More strength to your old bones
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by ProfOlu(m): 9:15am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:
Born Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka on the 13th July, 1934 into a Yoruba family—Remo—in the city of Abeokuta, Ogun State. He is a playwright, poet, essayist and an activist.

Seun, I learnt you are also an alumni of Obafemi Awolowo University. Please take note that the Ori-Olokun that is found in the Museum is only a travesty. It is also quite unfortunate that the same fake image is used as the University Crest while the real artifact remains somewhere close to London

Lalasticlala, I spent my weekend preparing this . Kindly let me take your position in posting this one Birthday for today

Happy birthday to an icon, he is a great man, he has traverse the whole world. come and see how white men use to applaud him. In fact, he is resected all over the world for his path, and legacy.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by ProfOlu(m): 9:16am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:

Happy birthday to this English giant, an icon, he is really a great man, he has traverse the whole world. come and see how white men use to applaud him. In fact, he is resected all over the world for his path, and legacy.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by gowonmaharajah(m): 9:19am On Jul 13, 2020
crazygod:
With all his great mind, I am tempted to say he is one of the reasons why Nigeria is like this. From introducing secret cult to our universities in his young age to introducing that disaster (bubu) to Nigerians in his old age. Happy birthday sha
well,maybe you are wrong. the real aim of cultism initially has been long messed up by our youths.you know how Nigerians mess everything up,even the good things.

and how did he introduce Buhari to Nigerians?
weren't everybody visibly vexed and tired of Jonathan's administration?
everybody wanted him out of office that year.it's a fact you can't deny.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by ProfOlu(m): 9:27am On Jul 13, 2020
Officialgarri:

Happy birthday to this English giant, an icon, he is really a great man, he has traverse the whole world. come and see how white men use to applaud him. In fact, he is resected all over the world for his path, and legacy.and

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by crazygod(m): 9:28am On Jul 13, 2020
gowonmaharajah:

well,maybe you are wrong. the real aim of cultism initially has been long messed up by our youths.you know how Nigerians mess everything up,even the good things.

and how did he introduce Buhari to Nigerians?
weren't everybody visibly vexed and tired of Jonathan's administration?
everybody wanted him out of office that year.it's a fact you can't deny.
By 'everybody', I guess you are generalizing it? Well I don't. I was never a fan of buhari right from day 1. I will rather choose the lesser evil which was GEJ. I have always opined that Buhari never had ideas even when he was campaigning but people decided to vote based on emotions and pity while some of us voted logically. And yes. He introduced Bubu to Nigerians because he is influential and an opinion leader. Nigerians love opinion leaders.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by gowonmaharajah(m): 9:34am On Jul 13, 2020
funnily this man is what I use as my phone wallpaper.
and I also hear that when he speaks no ordinary student/person understands him.

86 years is a long one to me though.
in this corruptible world?Lol
lemme just spend my 67 jejely and go back to God.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 13, 2020
Capo capo.. Happy birthday CBT
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by net75: 9:45am On Jul 13, 2020
Happy birthday sir!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by ekestic1976(f): 9:47am On Jul 13, 2020
Gerrard59:

You should know by now that so-called curses through the Internet do not work. OP reeled out uncommon facts about WS and I added one. Why are you pissed up? Was WS not 50 years old when Buhari became HoS in 1983?

Modified: I went through your posts and unsurprisingly, you are a chronic, vile and hungry tribalist.

So you're not a tribalist, en? Pele o, the great nationalist. Your leading light Zik of Biafra was also a nationalist, but see now where his nationalism and Nigerianess have left you his blind and conceited followers. Everyone is rejoicing with an old man on his birthday, but you chose to dig up untruths about his past. If you weren't a tribalist you would quite spontaneously have rejoiced with him. One day, you prople will know that much of your troubles in Nigeria are self-inflicted.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by kareemkamil(m): 9:54am On Jul 13, 2020
Better icon
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Biodun1929(m): 10:00am On Jul 13, 2020
Sailor22:
Without Christ. He is nothing.

Lol! He is one of the most celebrated black men of the last 100 years. This is a fact. Keep living in your delusion.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by InvertedHammer: 10:00am On Jul 13, 2020
/

#2, #4: a coward

#3, #17: a blood-thirsty cultist

#13: a hypocritical frenemy.

A good poet nonetheless.

/
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today: Uncommon Facts About Him by Gerrard59(m): 10:10am On Jul 13, 2020
ekestic1976:

So you're not a tribalist, en? Pele o, the great nationalist. Your leading light Zik of Biafra was also a nationalist, but see now where his nationalism and Nigerianess have left you his blind and conceited followers. Everyone is rejoicing with an old man on his birthday, but you chose to dig up untruths about his past. If you weren't a tribalist you would quite spontaneously have rejoiced with him. One day, you prople will know that much of your troubles in Nigeria are self-inflicted.

I didn't mention any ethnic group so I'm surprised you assume I'm Igbo, I could be Ibibio or Kalabari. @Bold: Which untruth? He didn't support Buhari in 2015? He wasn't 50 as at when Buhari was HoS? I'm not the one who supported a relic to replace a man whosr administration had 7% GDP growth rate but currently below 2%. So where did I lie? undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Obaseki: I Will Make My Next Move After Meeting With President Buhari / Apostle Suleman Supports Peter Obi / Governor Umahi's Cement Technology Road In Ebonyi, The Most Durable Anywhere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.