|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 3,108,331 members, 7,670,400 topics. Date: Friday, 08 December 2023 at 10:06 AM
|40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 7:33am On Jul 13, 2020|
I stand to be corrected on this but I think African tradition is gradually going to oblivion in preference for the Western style of doing things. one such example is in the area of communication were African elders were known for having a unique way of expressing themselves with words laced with wisdom. here is a compilation of my favorite African proverbs/wise saying from elders.
1. the tongue cannot claim to be ignorant of what the teeth is chewing.
2. until a woman marries twice she will not know which is better.
3. no matter the height of a camel the owner knows how to ride it.
4. if an abomination is committed for too long it becomes a tradition.
5. the Royal sculptor cannot make a mortar from plantain.
6. if the eye claims to be watching then let it narrate what the mouth said.
7. that a person is wealthy does not mean that he consumes more salt than his neighbours.
8. when the vulture takes a bath it becomes more ugly.
9. salt is never infested with worms.
10. a farm is not abandoned because it is full of weed.
11. it is other people's children that are sent on late night errands.
12. the day a debtor beats up his creditor is the day the debt is settled.
13. it is a foolish dog that barks at what the lion saw and ran away.
14. the hawk that picked the tortoise for dinner will go to be with an empty stomach.
15. a decaying plantain says it is ripening.
16. an idle person is recognized by the way he ties his wrapper.
17. sorry does not heal a wound but it can clean it.
18. a single finger cannot remove lice from the head.
19. one cannot predict the temper of the chick in the egg.
20. the meat that one forbids one cannot divide with his teeth.
21. a person that wants to tell a lie will say that his witness is in a distant town.
22. no matter how one threats a sleeping child when he wakes he would look for his mother.
23. a child is crying because his mother went to the market. what will an orphan child do?
24. if one does not eat beans he can't excrete beans.
25. it is because of the big bush meat that the hunter sews a big bag.
26. one doesn't pick his eyes same way he does his nose.
27. the nose doesn't perceive its own odour.
28. a soldier who survives a war boasts that his charm were effective.
29. it is a vain boast, a termite cannot devour or destroy a rock.
30. flies cannot support any other person if the person with sore is around.
31. it is easier to wake up a man sleeping than one pretending to sleep.
32. no matter how white the lizard's excreta may be it must have a dark spot.
33. neither the person who rushes or the person who walks slowly but steadily will sleep on the road.
34. the palm nut which ripens on a path way is for everyone to pluck.
35. an old woman who sells rotten fish recognises a blind fly.
36. a goat that keeps the company of a dog soon learns how to eat excreta.
37. one does not construct a palm oil factory simply because of one ripe palm tree.
38. a face is not washed with peppery water.
39. it is the finger that fits into the nose that is used to pick it.
40. a person should not seek to out-laugh he who lost his lips in a laughing contest.
feel free to add yours!
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by khengxlei(m): 7:40am On Jul 13, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by Openbusiness3: 7:41am On Jul 13, 2020|
Ok. I will read it later. Check my signature to buy intelligent dispenser. Best quality North America product with warranty
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by tayebest(m): 7:46am On Jul 13, 2020|
The teeth that a dog use to play with her puppies, will be use to caution them when they also go wrong!
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by tayebest(m): 7:52am On Jul 13, 2020|
It is when mosquito lands on your scrotal sac you'll understand why patience is always a virtue!
5 Likes 1 Share
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 8:21am On Jul 13, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 8:22am On Jul 13, 2020|
Openbusiness3:OK...I will check ur signature later.
Openbusiness3:OK...I will check ur signature later.
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 8:23am On Jul 13, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 8:24am On Jul 13, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by MajorOvakporaye(f): 9:54am On Jul 13, 2020|
yansh wey too big, na fat prick dey fit handle am.
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 10:03am On Jul 13, 2020|
MajorOvakporaye:that one dey!
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by OKUCHI11(m): 10:08am On Jul 13, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by xxxXXXxxx: 11:14am On Jul 13, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 13, 2020|
Women are not even seeing husbands to marry and you're talking marrying twice. This could be some 19th century proverbs
MajorOvakporaye:funny but truth
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by AreaFada2: 2:54am On Nov 28, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 2:55am On Nov 28, 2020|
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by Nazgul: 4:59am On Nov 28, 2020|
tayebest:It would be better put this way.
It's when a mosquito lands on your scrotum that you'll know there are other ways of resolving issues without using violence.
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by paulolee(m): 5:40am On Nov 28, 2020|
na only stick naim kno wetin e see inside kpekus wey mk am vomit.. 2..no matter how kpekus water small reach, e de reach stick baff..
|Re: 40 Witty African Proverbs!!!! by brain54(m): 6:23am On Nov 28, 2020|
14 Erogenous Zones In A Woman’s Body Every Man Needs To Know. / Man Refused To Pay After Having Sex With A Prostitute ,see What Happened To Him / Share Your Experience About Any Tom & Jerry Relationship You Know
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106