Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? (28599 Views)

Why Do People Frown At Using Left Hand / Facebook User Lashes Out At People Who Condemn Rites Done By Ooni's Queen / What Is Wrong With Using Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Orelafintun: 11:41am On Jul 15, 2020
Whao! FTC
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by nduchucks: 11:42am On Jul 15, 2020
Most Africans wipe their butts with the left hand after pooing. Hence it is considered an insult to use the same hand when handing something to elders.

Apologies to lefties.

7 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Fearlez: 11:43am On Jul 15, 2020
Because they are backward, ignorant and superstitious.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by mashcent(m): 11:43am On Jul 15, 2020
Damn
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Zenlife: 11:44am On Jul 15, 2020
Probably because most are right handed and wash off their yansh with left.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by iamgprince: 11:44am On Jul 15, 2020
According to our elders giving or receiveing something with your left hand is means disrespect and lack of manners

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Johnpaul01: 11:44am On Jul 15, 2020
J
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by OgThanos: 11:45am On Jul 15, 2020
They probably think it's charmed.
Because according to Nollywood movies, anything related to juju is done with the left hand
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by SmartyPants(m): 11:45am On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:
Make una respect our culture for once... We are Africans abeg

Some things are better left the way they are !!!

Some things? I thought you would have said all things.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by olowofariwo(m): 11:47am On Jul 15, 2020
Not culture but religiously rejected (Christian, Muslin etc)
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by jaxxy(m): 11:47am On Jul 15, 2020
Jamb Question. Lol
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Reelnah: 11:48am On Jul 15, 2020
Because the generation we are in, and d era social media, where no one give value or regards to culture....
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Liposure: 11:48am On Jul 15, 2020
People are just ignorant
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 11:49am On Jul 15, 2020
Because it is an ancestor mentality that was erroneously handed over to their mofo children...

.Tueh.....
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by ekestic1976(f): 11:50am On Jul 15, 2020
The same way Society sees white as good and black as evil. To think that the Bible says that everything that God created is good!

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Farki: 11:50am On Jul 15, 2020
Because people used their non dominant hand, which is usually the left hand, to wipe their ass.

Since using a hand in constant contact with the ass before the widespread use of soap people caused people to fall sick they blamed it on the left hand being evil.

Throughout the world people continue to enforce what is really a silly rule from a bygone era.

In the future I expect people to wear masks or avoid shaking hands without understanding why.

9 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by davidtemi(m): 11:50am On Jul 15, 2020
Ray360:
Lol. They believe the left hand is what you use to wash your bum bum. And that it would bring badluck.
very funny...but I'm a lefty and believe me sincerely if I buy frm u, ur business ll never remain d same...testimonies frm customers

Proudly lefty

7 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by SlyCharlie(m): 11:51am On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:

You deserve to still reside in the Stone age, where it was alleged that the likes of you swung from trees like monkeys.
Tradition my arse. it's pure stupidity to still practice it now. if I give you money with my left and you reject it, I'll used my left hand and put it in my pocket. Iranu

13 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Xisnin(m): 11:52am On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:

This is not an answer.
Respect is merited not deserved.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by olowofariwo(m): 11:53am On Jul 15, 2020
Not only culturally rejected, religion also reject esp. Christian and Muslims. But op, Can u use your right hand to clean your yansh after poo?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by dadtoyosi: 11:55am On Jul 15, 2020
NOTHING IS WRONG. IT'S JUST A CULTURE, ONE WHICH I BELIEVE SHOULD BE ERADICATED. IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY MEANING OR WHATSOEVER.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Oladat(m): 11:55am On Jul 15, 2020
Hezzyluv:
Na African mentality. God that created both hands, does it mean he made a mistake? make we stop dey use cutleries eat na.
No he didn't make a mistake, just like he didn't make a mistake when he created Satan.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by niceguy555: 11:57am On Jul 15, 2020
iamgprince:
According to our elders giving or receiveing something with your left hand is means disrespect and lack of manners

You are correct. That is the right answer

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by ephraim18(m): 11:57am On Jul 15, 2020
Old fashoned
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Hezzyluv: 11:58am On Jul 15, 2020
Oladat:

No he didn't make a mistake, just like he didn't make a mistake when he created Satan.

Na true sha. But lots of questions on my mind about this world and God. without convinced answer
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Akpuobi1: 12:01pm On Jul 15, 2020
There absolutely nothing wrong giving people things with the left hand is just that some people are racist, plus superstition - they discriminate everywhere and everything.

Left-handed people can't count how many times they had to SHALAYE because of giving with left. Some people forget they feel comfortable with left more than my right just like a righthanded person feels comfortable using the right and than the left.

#LEFT HAND LIFE MATTERS (LHLM) grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by dingbang(m): 12:02pm On Jul 15, 2020
That means yoloba people are the ones dragging us backwards
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by luckyz4rea(m): 12:03pm On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:

Really? Better left the way they are?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Chanel Chin, Oluwo Of Iwo's Wife Birthday: Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi Hails Wife / Alaafin Of Oyo Shows His Dancing Skills At His Palace / Who Is A Jew Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.