Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? (28543 Views)

Why Do People Frown At Using Left Hand / Facebook User Lashes Out At People Who Condemn Rites Done By Ooni's Queen / What Is Wrong With Using Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Thepsyhiccensor: 12:30pm On Jul 15, 2020

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Minemrys: 12:31pm On Jul 15, 2020
EyezofGod120:
grin na African mentality,,, if I use left hand give u money and regect,,I go use d left hand put am back for my pocket
guy, respect is respect. Why d0n't u greet ur guys with ur left hand? Forget Afro mentality, i d0n't see the sense in handing s0me0ne s0mething with ur left when ur right is free. Even the whites d0n't do that. Have u seen a white give c0mpliments with his left? Nah. It's n0t Afro mentality. It's just courtesy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Perfectbeing(m): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2020
Me sef I can be sometimes oblivious of my surroundings to notice if some gives (or receive) me something with his left hands or not... But in other to avoid unnecessary talks and advices I try to use my right hand when giving or taking something from my elders.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by k2money(m): 12:34pm On Jul 15, 2020
I belief it's because it's an occultic hands. The traditionalist use it and seeing you using it indicates impersonation.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by ikorodureporta: 12:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
So if person don loss him right hand, d left too don useless??

There was a day I bought some stuff, holding a heavy filled bag on my right, I wanted to pick a loaf of bread with my left hand....if una see as d young lady shout for me... I didn't take Iit lightly, but took time to explain that my left hand isn't a useless evil tool
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by EyezofGod120: 12:42pm On Jul 15, 2020
Minemrys:

guy, respect is respect. Why d0n't u greet ur guys with ur left hand? Forget Afro mentality, i d0n't see the sense in handing s0me0ne s0mething with ur left when ur right is free. Even the whites d0n't do that. Have u seen a white give c0mpliments with his left? Nah. It's n0t Afro mentality. It's just courtesy.
that means left hand is useless then
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Mars16(m): 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2020
Is psychological.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by davinchecodes(m): 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:
Make una respect our culture for once... We are Africans abeg

Some things are better left the way they are !!!

Yea, like killings twins undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by sinola(m): 12:48pm On Jul 15, 2020
Funny enof,during my university days(1998-2004),I had one babe as my gf,anytime,we want to get down,she will insist I use my right hand to unzip her orelse,no show.....
I tried to find out why but she'll always shove it off citing cultural inclination.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 15, 2020
Left hand is used by occultists that have their third eye open to greet each other. They follow the left hand path in life- this terminology is used in various groups involved in the occult and ceremonial magic. In some definitions, the Left-Hand Path is equated with malicious black magic or black shamanism.

That is why it is frowned upon Yoruba culture to collect or shake people with your left hand.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by NELLY1990: 12:50pm On Jul 15, 2020
Well no matter what am proud to be left handed, my mum left handed, my husband left handed, my nephew left handed, my boss left handed. I pray my babies to be left handed too. Hi who doesn’t like it should hug transformer. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by andyanders: 12:51pm On Jul 15, 2020
In fact, I've been trying to figure our mentality as Nigerians, we too dey fetish in nature. Went to buy something from a woman, gave her money with left hand, she refussed to the money. I later used used right hand.

I looked at her and was like; if I bring out $100 bill nd give to her, I believe same woman would jump a table to take the money. While anywhere u go to, be it bank or grocery stores in the US, a left handed will counting money on ur palm, 1...2...3...to to $100., as u open ur hand to get paid.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by banhammy: 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2020
I don't know about other tribe or race, but Islam and Yoruba forbid it.
Islam sees it as satanic while Yoruba really frown at it as a sign of disrespect.
A popular politician lost in an election he could have won clean clear, simple because he used left hand to waive at his teeming supporters during campaign. This happened in one local community in Yoruba land many years ago.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by ProJectAnatot(m): 12:55pm On Jul 15, 2020
That thing has been on my mind too.... I mean the tribe of Benjamin in the Bible where mostly lefties and they where good in battle.
So in all honesty I think it's misplaced priority. I mean it does not really have any face value importance.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Enskynelson(m): 12:56pm On Jul 15, 2020
It's difficult to explain you are doing the RIGHT thing with your LEFT!
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by banhammy: 12:56pm On Jul 15, 2020
NELLY1990:
Well no matter what am proud to be left handed, my mum left handed, my husband left handed, my nephew left handed, my boss left handed. I pray my babies to be left handed too. Hi who doesn’t like it should hug transformer. Thank you
Do you shake people with left hand also?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by oshudu(m): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
You have been westernized that is why you want to throw all our custom and traditions away you want to copy the Whites for everything they do without considering our own way of life but we don't copy their mentality and the humanitarian work they White's do , we only like to copy their swag i believe that if it is the white introduce not using the left hand to give somebody something you will do it with happiness but since it is Africa especially in Nigeria you will not do it because it is barbaric.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
African achaic mentality, when someone gives you a bag full with £10,000 notes with a left hand just say No. fools!
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by andyanders: 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
Minemrys:

What of a left handed person? U've to stop the mentality of respect herein.
If u bring out $100 bill, same person or u, who claim to be seeking respect, will grab the money. Anybody can give me anything with any hand he/she likes, and I don't give a Bleep.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Perfectbeing(m): 12:58pm On Jul 15, 2020
Because the whites or asian are against left handed people doesn't mean it isn't superstitious. They still have some superstitious beliefs like coming down from the left side of the bed brings bad luck etc.. I even read somewhere that the church use to believe that the devil was left handed.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Mercymimi2002: 1:00pm On Jul 15, 2020
cornel00:
I have always wanted to ask this question for sometime now cos i don't really understand the mystery behind it.

I went to a shop to buy some provision, i tried to pay the seller with my left hand because my right hand was occupied with my tool box, she insisted i must give her the money with my right hand which i have no problem with, but i really want to know the reason so i thought bringing it up here will go a long way hearing different people's opinions.

People see it as a bad manner, but to me, it means nothing. I believe one cannot wash right hand effectively without the left hand. So why the condemnation? Is there any religious reference to back it up with?. This thing is too common with my people. Yoruba. But it does not matter. Either left or right. If the president offers anyone with #10000000 with a left hand. Will anyone complain of the left hand before collecting the money?Even if it is ordinary paper he gives you with left hand. Will anyone even complain?

Thank you!!!!
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 15, 2020
oshudu:
You have been westernized that is why I want to throw all our custom and traditions away I want to copy the Whites for everything they do without considering our own way of life but we don't copy their mentality and the humanitarian work they White's do , we only like to copy their swag i believe that if it is the white introduce not using the left hand to give somebody something you will do it with happiness but since it is Africa especially in Nigeria you will not do it because it is barbaric.
so what exactly is your point? so left hand isn't part of your body? and what kinda backwards and stupid tradition/custom discriminates body parts? cheesy

next time any one hands you a bag full with $10000 notes with a left hand just say NO. Ridiculous!! sad
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Mercymimi2002: 1:02pm On Jul 15, 2020
Perfectbeing:
Because the whites or asian are against left handed people doesn't mean it isn't superstitious. They still have some superstitious beliefs like coming down from the left side of the bed brings bad luck etc.. I even read somewhere that the church use to believe that the devil was left handed.
Muslim number 1
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by emkz: 1:02pm On Jul 15, 2020
Next time you have a meeting with top clients, offer them a handshake with your left hand.

In Africa, it is rude to offer or receive something with your left hand just like or is rude to cough into a person's face.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 15, 2020
Minemrys:

it is an african achaic mentality and White people don't give shit what hand you hand them something with? believe it or not, what kinda stupid courtesy discriminates body parts? grin is left hand not part of ones body? ridiculous!
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Germi9: 1:06pm On Jul 15, 2020
EyezofGod120:
grin na African mentality,,, if I use left hand give u money and regect,,I go use d left hand put am back for my pocket
i use left hand give u something u dey vex dey carry face..you no know say na my right hand i take dey wash yansh after toilet

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Perfectbeing(m): 1:06pm On Jul 15, 2020
Is using the left foot to kick football also Satanic?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Geesaintagape: 1:07pm On Jul 15, 2020
Remember where God says the sheep would be n the goats would also be.
Accepted Sheep to the right
Rejected goat to the left.
So u can channel ur question to God if u are not satisfied yet
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by HeyHey(f): 1:07pm On Jul 15, 2020
All these replies just they make me laugh. The day I use left select okrika, the seller nearly cut my hand�.

If you can use your right hand just use it abeg. To start explain in this society is difficult.

HOWEVER, THERE ARE TWO EXCEPTIONS OOO
1. If the right hand is amputated. You cant expect the person to use the right hand. There is a lady i bought plantain from, she was one handed and was still struggling to use the right hand. We assisted her but I wish she knew I dont mind, as should right thinking members of the society. See amputees_are beautiful on ig

2. Where the person is born left handed, abeg parent protect them. Many great people are left handed. My aunt was left handed, her parents said its not acceptable and gradually changed her. It affected her assimilation because the use of their left hand is from their brain. She eventually gave birth to a left handed child, she protects him like egg. Before any body open mouth talk say 'small boy change your hand", she don rush reach there say mk them leave him. The left hand na part of him body.
Today the boy is fully left handed, eat with left hand, writes, uses phone, washes etc all with left hand. He may have grown a thick skin to Nigerians though because his mama no go always dey there to shield him.

In this modern life, people are more aware of perculiarity of a left-handed child. They are more now than before when them they change them. I believe this has made more people accepting of left hand.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Perfectbeing(m): 1:08pm On Jul 15, 2020
Mercymimi2002:
Muslim number 1
Actually I'm a Christian.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by brainhgeek(m): 1:09pm On Jul 15, 2020
Hmmm. Things have changed. Where I work, I greet my superiors and top boss with a 'hi/hello' and they respond with a glad face. In fact, they feel uncomfortable with a 'ma' or 'sir'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Igbo Art (Nka Igbo) / How Do U Greet Good Morning In Ur Language / The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.