Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,075 members, 7,821,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? (28616 Views)

Why Do People Frown At Using Left Hand / Facebook User Lashes Out At People Who Condemn Rites Done By Ooni's Queen / What Is Wrong With Using Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by EzugoAmerica: 3:43pm On Jul 15, 2020
The reason is simple....! Lack of education ���
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Smiles000: 3:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
i will be right back; let me go and ask my grandmother
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by infocrib(m): 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2020
herkeem:
I think this is as a result of the name given to left hand by our people. Especially the Yoruba, they regard the left hand as 'Owo osi' and Osi is a bad thing as far as the Yoruba are concerned. Thus using left hand to give or receive something is regarded as bad habit. Also, Islamic religion also frowns at using left hand because it is regarded as a satanic habit.
I would disagree to this sir...... In this same Yoruba lands we have Osi Oba (the left chief of the King) and he has good responsibilities to carry out for the kingdom so i dont think thats the case.......
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by EchezonaI(m): 4:01pm On Jul 15, 2020
It's not just an African thing, Arabians prefer the right hand too (to the best of my knowledge).
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by sirzee1660(m): 4:12pm On Jul 15, 2020
It is seen as a sign of disrespectful....in our culture
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 15, 2020
It's just seen as a sign of disrespect nothing more. Like for example in Japan, if a Japanese man/woman gives you a complementary card you are meant to accept it with both hands and put it in your wallet (the same goes for gifts I think). Doing otherwise means disrespect it is part of African culture.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 15, 2020
herkeem:
I think this is as a result of the name given to left hand by our people. Especially the Yoruba, they regard the left hand as 'Owo osi' and Osi is a bad thing as far as the Yoruba are concerned. Thus using left hand to give or receive something is regarded as bad habit. Also, Islamic religion also frowns at using left hand because it is regarded as a satanic habit.

owo osi vs owo oshi....not thesame, we have otun Oba and osi oba, not oshi, which means poverty
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Hezzyluv: 4:28pm On Jul 15, 2020
kiddkash:

soon in the future, your children will walk in the street naked.
they will tell you putting on clothes is backward.
you wont be able to say anything
if something isn't broken, don't fix it. just leave it the way it is

also Imagine if you are up to 35 and your child that is 7 years old wakes up in the morning
and will be waiting for you to say good morning

go to a country like Ghana and see that kids there do not have respect
they don't greet or respect their parents because they weren't disciplined when they were young

Greetings and dressings is totally outta contex of this topic. I know you're either Christian or a Muslim. And the two religions doesn't encouraged parent to greet their offsprings but vice versa. you also know what it says about dressing. If it where 2be about the 2points you mentioned, know for sure the coment will not b like this. We are talking about using of hands here. What do you say about de person God created who uses left hand in doing everything? condemn him when God himself see nothing wrong with it?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 15, 2020
kiddkash:

also Imagine if you are up to 35 and your child that is 7 years old wakes up in the morning

they don't greet or respect their parents because they weren't disciplined when they were young
Spare us the crap brother. As if most Africans the colonisers met where not naked or half naked.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Hezzyluv: 4:38pm On Jul 15, 2020
Barristter07:

Questions like ?

My oga, I don't want it to appear I'm questioning God.
So, let it be.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Hezzyluv: 4:43pm On Jul 15, 2020
SegFault:

Spare us the crap brother. As if most Africans the colonisers met where not naked or half naked.

Excactly my points. Beside, he's talking about dressings and greetings, which is totally out of the topic
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Hezzyluv: 4:50pm On Jul 15, 2020
EyezofGod120:
grin na African mentality,,, if I use left hand give u money and regect,,I go use d left hand put am back for my pocket

4ny u grin

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by opribo(m): 4:51pm On Jul 15, 2020
Those who know know. When you get into it you will understand for now just wallow in ignorance.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by iamlahmee(m): 4:52pm On Jul 15, 2020
some people are just clue less I really appreciate my parent for allowing me to use this left hand,only ignorant folks still believe this shit and I read some comment about using ur left hand to clean ur butt which is actually false FYI I use my right hand to clean myself (so deal with that), fortunately my nephew is also a southpaw a
for those saying u hardly find people exchanging greetings with left hand doesn't reason enough,when u stretched out your right hand u will probably get your reply with a right hand same goes with left hand but due to the fact that right handed people are more than the lefties makes u see people shaking with right hand
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by kiddkash(m): 5:01pm On Jul 15, 2020
Hezzyluv:

Greetings and dressings is totally outta contex of this topic. I know you're either Christian or a Muslim. And the two religions doesn't encouraged parent to greet their offsprings but vice versa. you also know what it says about dressing. If it where 2be about the 2points you mentioned, know for sure the coment will not b like this. We are talking about using of hands here. What do you say about de person God created who uses left hand in doing everything? condemn him when God himself see nothing wrong with it?
what I mean is, the value in our society is being destroyed little by little.
it is like a poison given too much people will fight back.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by kiddkash(m): 5:03pm On Jul 15, 2020
SegFault:

maybe but our society has morals and values and people like you strip the values little by little

1 Like

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by cray91(m): 5:06pm On Jul 15, 2020
no big deal bro just our culture and nothing else its only bound to RESPECT using the right hand and BADLUCK using the left nothing serious
cornel00:
I have always wanted to ask this question for sometime now cos i don't really understand the mystery behind it.

I went to a shop to buy some provision, i tried to pay the seller with my left hand because my right hand was occupied with my tool box, she insisted i must give her the money with my right hand which i have no problem with, but i really want to know the reason so i thought bringing it up here will go a long way hearing different people's opinions.

People see it as a bad manner, but to me, it means nothing. I believe one cannot wash right hand effectively without the left hand. So why the condemnation? Is there any religious reference to back it up with?

Thank you!!!!
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by xpool(m): 5:17pm On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:
Make una respect our culture for once... We are Africans abeg

Some things are better left the way they are !!!
Culture is universal!
Culture is also dynamic.

Issue with right hand o r lefthand is not an african thing, it is universal.
Leftwing or rightwing party, etec

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Captaincee(m): 5:18pm On Jul 15, 2020
tribalwarlord:
Make una respect our culture for once... We are Africans abeg

Some things are better left the way they are !!!
lemme give you a cheque of 1M with the so called "left hand"... I'll see whether you'll reject it. grin
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Captaincee(m): 5:19pm On Jul 15, 2020
xpool:

Culture is universal!
Culture is also dynamic.

Issue with right hand o r lefthand is not an african thing, it is universal.
Leftwing or rightwing party, etec
oil dey your head cool
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Hezzyluv: 5:22pm On Jul 15, 2020
kiddkash:
what I mean is, the value in our society is being destroyed little by little. it is like a poison given too much people will fight back.
It's well
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Friend22(m): 5:24pm On Jul 15, 2020
kiddkash:

come to country like Ghana, young guys and girls say it is progress
like gays and lesbianism in the public.
I have nothing against them, what they do have no effect on my body but
the society is being desecrated and children are looking at them and doing the same thing
two young girls(sisters) aged 9 and 15 were busy kissing in my compound and they were saying it is how the world is turning.
their father finally flogged them and said it is his fault, he never disciplined his kids the way his own father did to him
all their father used to do to them is don't do that again or I will punish you
you were once a kid. how do kids think. it is the thing thy say not to do that they always want to do

when I was young, I hated when I was flogged but now I am grown, I understand why

One of the thing this so called woke generation will do itself is this bit by bit undermining of values and good cultures that our parents have held since time immemorial.
This same folka will soon tell us that there is nothing wrong in doing some of the things you've pointed out because they are gradually becoming less value and more valueless in their thinking.
They will tell you soon that for an elder to greet a younger one is nothing wrong or even knee before them is nothing wrong.
It starts bit by bit.
This is how feminism started as nothing serious, but today they are setting the agenda.

These folks whom a group of old and young misguided folks will soon eat shit
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Torture2020: 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2020
Look, leave Ghana out of your nonsense,huh? Hypocrites

kiddkash:

come to country like Ghana, young guys and girls say it is progress
like gays and lesbianism in the public.
I have nothing against them, what they do have no effect on my body but
the society is being desecrated and children are looking at them and doing the same thing
two young girls(sisters) aged 9 and 15 were busy kissing in my compound and they were saying it is how the world is turning.
their father finally flogged them and said it is his fault, he never disciplined his kids the way his own father did to him
all their father used to do to them is don't do that again or I will punish you
you were once a kid. how do kids think. it is the thing thy say not to do that they always want to do

when I was young, I hated when I was flogged but now I am grown, I understand why
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Torture2020: 5:32pm On Jul 15, 2020
Rubbish talk!

kiddkash:

Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Lovexme(m): 5:32pm On Jul 15, 2020
kiddkash:

What's your point?
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
I'm a proud left hander. I don't care about all this African backward mentality.
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by KhingLufem1(m): 5:43pm On Jul 15, 2020
But that left hand they condemn....nah that same left hand they use to taste soup for pot.

Hmmmmmmm
Re: Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive? by NovusHomo(m): 6:21pm On Jul 15, 2020
cornel00:
I have always wanted to ask this question for sometime now cos i don't really understand the mystery behind it.

I went to a shop to buy some provision, i tried to pay the seller with my left hand because my right hand was occupied with my tool box, she insisted i must give her the money with my right hand which i have no problem with, but i really want to know the reason so i thought bringing it up here will go a long way hearing different people's opinions.

People see it as a bad manner, but to me, it means nothing. I believe one cannot wash right hand effectively without the left hand. So why the condemnation? Is there any religious reference to back it up with?

Thank you!!!!

Which hand do you use to wipe/wash/clean your butt after you poo?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land / Alaafin Of Oyo Shows His Dancing Skills At His Palace / Lady Met Elderly Nigerian Couple At Nigerian High Commission, UK & This Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.