Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,983 members, 7,814,348 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) (1709 Views)

Which Is Better For Nigeria: Breaking Up Or Ethnic Mixing? / Is Goodluck Jonathan's Facebook A Fraud? / Jonathan Goodluck - The Miracle Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 04, 2011
I personally don't see GEJ as a proactive leader that acts to prevent a situation from getting critical, such as the spate of kidnappings that eventually led to the abduction of 15 school kids before he acted. But everyone around me seems to think he is the best for Nigeria, even my parents, disregarding his association with some shady characters.

Are the other candidates really that much worse than Goodluck, that so many people choose to follow him?

From GEJ's facebook page

Goodluck Jonathan
In keeping with my word given on this page last year where I said the life of every Nigerian has a personal value to me, I, Good luck Jonathan, immediately ordered the evacuation of Nigerians from Egypt when the situation there escalated. Nigerians should be proud to note that before nationals from other countries were evacuated, Nigeria had evacuated over 500 of her nationals. GEJ

Some random comments:
Xxxxxx Xxxxx: your excellency your good works speaks 4 u jst d way ur name is.

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxx: Mr PRESIDENT, ar u serious!!!, boy! I,m proud to be a Nigerian. Pls all Nigerians, should start coming back home and stop being second class citizens in another man,s country. We now have a President dat works!

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxxx: thank you for that sir. lives of nigerians are threatened back home and nothing seems done. politics is seriously funny. we can't have a good omelet without breaking eggs. let what has to be done be done for lasting peace and let nigerians feel safe anywhere in nigeria.

Xxxxxxx Xxxxx: All I can say is thanks for your good works. I pray that your care on Nigerians keeps improving throughout your tenure. and that you wouldnt conform to crime in the executives. may God help you. Amen.

Xxxxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxxxx: Mr president that's a good one. What about Nigerians dying in jos?
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Nobody: 11:23pm On Feb 04, 2011
He is nt among d best either there4 he cant be d best we v got.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by aljharem(m): 11:25pm On Feb 04, 2011
No he is not the best Nigerians can do but what can we do when there are people like Edwin Clark, people in PDP, OBJ etc cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 05, 2011
someone posted this on GEJ's wall

Ohakwe Xxxxxxxxx: you are the only President i have ever see laughing in NIgeria starting from when Nigeria got independent till when you sat on your throne.
i think, thats your destiny Mr president.

OMG!! cry cry

but there is hope yet

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx: AINT U GONNA DO SOMETHING ABOUT DA JOS CRISIS , CAUSE DA WHOLE THING SEEMS AS IF JOS IS NOT PART OF NIGERIA , A WHOLE LOT OF CLASHES GOING ON IN DERE ND NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT , BECAUSE ITS NOT AFFECTING YOU RIGHT

Bamidele Xxxxxxx: I truly do not get it. It appears the whole of Nigeria is burning, we have religion instigated riots in Jos, Plateau and other places. We have assassinations all over Nigeria, yet our security agencies cannot stem this ugly tide. My question is “where is our president and what is he doing? Why is he at the A.U. meeting when his own house is not in order yet? I am losing my once held hope and trust in President Jonathan. Please convince me otherwise.

Osaye Xxxxxxx:
‎@Bamidele Xxxxxx,it shows that the present government doesn't have value for human lives,and also that it does not care about its citizens,and it also shows a confused government,trust alot of praise singers and worshipers that will praise , the government even when the country is in a state of insecurity,the October bomb blast, mr president said the victims will not die in vain,who have they brought to book?new years eve blast,mr president still went to delta state to campaign for Uduaghan, violence in Jos, Maiduguri, Bauchi and no one is saying anything,it just tells us that our lives are in danger and no one cares,they will rather play politics and watch their citizens die,we have had enough.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by tyson55(m): 1:28am On Feb 05, 2011
I 'm one of the die hard supporter of mr president GEJ, but right now, i seem to be lost. How else can one explain what is going on in jos and mr president is practically doing nothing about the crises while innocent citizens are losing their lives on sensless religious crises. I 'm losing my once held hope in mr president. Why is he acting insensitive to what is going on in jos and bauchi? Please all the gej supporters on NL convince me otherwise.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On Feb 05, 2011
How can you be DIE-HARD for someone whose resume remains BLANK in much of the criticals and you admit does not seem capable? Why not use your head a bit more instead of your heart when it comes to selecting your leaders??
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Justcash(m): 1:38am On Feb 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

How can you be DIE-HARD for someone whose resume remains BLANK in much of the criticals and you admit does not seem capable? Why not use your head a bit more instead of your heart when it comes to selecting your leaders??

What else do you want him to do? He has sent JTF .i.e. Policemen and soldiers into Plateau state. It is left for the them to do their job. Is there no governor in Plateau state? The governor should collaborate with the JTF to fish out the murderers as was the case in Abia state. GEJ cannot just act like a despot or Dictator. He got the National assembly and Judiciary to counter his actions. Ironically, If he acts brutally, it is people like you that will be the first to call him a clueless leader. Did y'all not call him an animal  for using force against the Niger-delta militants? What was the reaction like when a whole village was razed by JTF in Niger-delta? They said soldiers were collaborating with Fulani herdsmen, he quickly ensured that a new set of soldiers were brought into the state. I am sure if you were in the same position as him, you'll actually not know what to do.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Kobojunkie: 1:50am On Feb 05, 2011
Unlike you, I expect more from my leaders. It is the rational thing to do -- expect more from your elected leaders(even those who were not directly elected).
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by fstranger1: 1:53am On Feb 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Unlike you, I expect more from my leaders. It is the rational thing to do -- expect more from your elected leaders(even those who were not directly elected).

Justcash:

What else do you want him to do? He has sent JTF .i.e. Policemen and soldiers into Plateau state. It is left for the them to do their job. Is there no governor in Plateau state? The governor should collaborate with the JTF to fish out the murderers as was the case in Abia state. GEJ cannot just act like a despot or Dictator. He got the National assembly and Judiciary to counter his actions. Ironically, If he acts brutally, it is people like you that will be the first to call him a clueless leader. Did y'all not call him an animal  for using force against the Niger-delta militants? What was the reaction like when a whole village was razed by JTF in Niger-delta? They said soldiers were collaborating with Fulani herdsmen, he quickly ensured that a new set of soldiers were brought into the state. I am sure if you were in the same position as him, you'll actually not know what to do.

Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by fstranger1: 1:58am On Feb 05, 2011
fstranger1:

Justcash:

just so you know, madam kobo, who is prolly old enough to be your grandma, is our in house goal shifting, senile schizophrenic.

she loves to argue unnecessarily. sees nothing good in Nigeria and would go to any length to bash GEJ and Nigeria.

Argue with her at your own risk. Did i mention, she is also a time waster.

she is on social security, so she does not have a job and nothing prevents her from arguing round circles with you till valentine
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Kobojunkie: 2:00am On Feb 05, 2011
tyson55:

I 'm one of the die hard supporter of mr president GEJ, but right now, i seem to be lost. How else can one explain what is going on in jos and mr president is practically doing nothing about the crises while innocent citizens are losing their lives on sensless religious crises. I 'm losing my once held hope in mr president. Why is he acting insensitive to what is going on in jos and bauchi? Please all the gej supporters on NL convince me otherwise.

Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by savanaha: 2:04am On Feb 05, 2011
fstranger1:

just so you know, madam kobo, who is prolly old enough to be your grandma, is our in house goal shifting, senile schizophrenic.

she loves to argue unnecessarily. sees nothing good in Nigeria and would go to any length to bash GEJ and Nigeria.

Argue with her at your own risk. Did i mention, she is also a time waster.

she is on social security, so she does not have a job and nothing prevents her from [b]arguing round circles [/b]with you till valentine

Hahahahahaahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by fstranger1: 2:05am On Feb 05, 2011
^^^^
Kobojunkie:

After they ignored you, you still went ahead and quote them so you could argue with them?

Are you outta your mind Kobojunkie?

Someone doesnt want to fight you, yet you stand in front of them ready for a showdown

Dont you have kids to take care, husband to cook for, tampons to change, bras to wash, liposuction to do.   .   . dont you have a life?

Seriously, go see a shrink!
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Muza(m): 11:13am On Feb 05, 2011
Definitely he not the best, not even close,tell me what he has done so far apart from spending money on nothing,
what useful new thing has happened since he came into power,NOTHING

his supporters are either very naive or have sold their conscience which they'll later regret
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by bookface: 11:35am On Feb 05, 2011
Justcash:

A smart leader is proactive, not reactive.  If GEJ is anything smart, he would have set up covert intelligence in those places long time ago while there was relative peace.  The intelligence units would be responsible for gathering information using GPS and Spy technology.  That will also include tapping phone conversations of some key suspects and building a secret profile for key radicals.It's however apparent that our president was busy deliberating on how to defeat the Northern cabals when he should be working round the clock to keep our homes safe.   

I think it's only dummies that get swayed by the immediate deployment of troops after each crises, wise people should be asking "why has the government not prevented this from happening?''
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Afam4eva(m): 11:41am On Feb 05, 2011
But come o. Why is everything placed on GEJ's table. Doesn't Plateau state have a governor? I think both the governor, the president and security operatives should take the blame. Infact must GEJ give an order to the security operatives before they know what to do?
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by doyin13(m): 11:43am On Feb 05, 2011
Justcash:

This quote shocks me. . . .but it also sheds light on much of Nigerian mentality. Our penchant for making excuses for FAILURE.

But more than the fact they have failed, its the passive attitude. The pats on the back for irrelevant achievements when children's heads are being hacked open and some people walk out of their houses with the thoughts in the back of their mind they might not make it back.

To be fair to Jonathan, this way of doing business precedes him. Obj was playing statesman while vast swathes of the Niger Delta were under siege. And Yaradua hardly made mention when Soldiers enacted revenge on innocent villagers destroying lives in the process. And then as there was terrible leadership, we also had the terrible citizenship. People in Lagos who celebrated a spurious banking revolution not minding the many failures of the government, showering praises for FAILURE.

Our job as citizens is not hand out praises or even give solutions as some people will ask for. We are not the ones who put up our hands to be elected. Our job as citizens to borrow from Achebe's Anthills is to give headaches.

To keep questioning and asking for more, grudgingly admitting the successes but emphasising the failures to avoid lethargy. People in government do not need defenders. For the facts yes, but definitely not against people who demand results. And that is what many citizens are demanding. Results. Making sure we don't wake up in the mornings to the same gruesome news of assassinations, horrific pictures and official inertia.

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by maga1: 12:07pm On Feb 05, 2011
I think GEJ is no where close to being the best we can do. He might have some good in him but all the devils in PDP wont allow him to progress positively. I would have been a good supporter of GEJ if he was in another party because for now we need a leader who owes nothing to the devils (obj, clark, atiku, ibb, ciroma etc). We need a leader who is free & can base his actions without fear or favour. Be it whoever, in as much as u are from PDP you can never be the best except you will betray or turn your back on the devils by bombing wadata plaza when the pdp chieftains are holding any of their important meeting (on how to loot naija).

We need the freshest air BB2011
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by honeric01(m): 12:17pm On Feb 05, 2011
Nigerians here in Nigeria are mostly confused, most of them don't know what they want, hence they can't really pin-point and scrutinize their leaders.

If you ask many Nigerians why they want GEJ, none would be able to tell you 3 GOOD reasons without sentiments clouding their statements.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by seanet02: 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2011
GEJ is simply not the best. Buhari or Ribadu takes my vote
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Muza(m): 12:33pm On Feb 05, 2011
vote BB for the bloodless revolution,u will be glad u did,thank you.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by SkyBlue1: 12:48pm On Feb 05, 2011
honeric01:

Nigerians here in Nigeria are mostly confused, most of them don't know what they want, hence they can't really pin-point and scrutinize their leaders.

If you ask many Nigerians why they want GEJ, none would be able to tell you 3 GOOD reasons without sentiments clouding their statements.

And this is peculiar to Jonathan supporters? Are you serious at all? Have you had discussions with people from core northern states? I bet there are many Buhari supporters there who just reel out the long list of articulate and unsentimental reasons why they prefer him, right?
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 05, 2011
The governour of a state is d chief security of his state jst on a ceremonious capacity. FG Controls all d security organs in Nigeria, so d bulk still stops at d presidents table, without his orders nothing happens dats y some governours are clamoring for state owned police. Gje is only been reactive without any well tot out plan on how to solve d problems in some crises ridden states dats y jos can boil 5times in a month and stretch for a year without solution but grammer as usuall and dumb defencies from sycophantic loyalist whose reasoning is far below dat of a goat.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Beaf: 12:54pm On Feb 05, 2011
honeric01:

Condemning the long suffering average Nigerian as clueless, just because they overwhelmingly support GEJ is sour grapes, very poor sportsmanship and in very poor taste.

GEJ is immensely popular among Nigerians, because he has touched lives in fundamental ways. People like yourself will continue asking for 3 good reasons while the people are FEELING and EXPERIENCING miriad good reasons. On these very NL pages, your likes continue to scorn the end of fuel scarcity and the easily measurable steps forward in power generation; scoff all you like, but iya Sikira, Binta and mallam Shehu see these things as a godsend after so many decades of travelling backwards.

Nigerians will continue to support what is good for them, and not what some random fellow wishes to foist on them.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Afam4eva(m): 12:55pm On Feb 05, 2011
Beaf:

Condemning the long suffering average Nigerian as clueless, just because they overwhelmingly support GEJ is sour grapes, very poor sportsmanship and in very poor taste.

GEJ is immensely popular among Nigerians, because he has touched lives in fundamental ways. People like yourself will continue asking for 3 good reasons while the people are FEELING and EXPERIENCING miriad good reasons. On these very NL pages, your likes continue to scorn the end of fuel scarcity and the easily measurable steps forward in power generation; scoff all you like, but iya Sikira, Binta and mallam Shehu see these things as a godsend after so many decades of travelling backwards.

It's that fundamental way we want to know. Do u care to share some?
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Beaf: 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2011
^
Please read what I posted again, and if you disagree, say why. There is a lot in the few sentences I wrote. One-liners that aren't thought out or focussed in any direction do not enrich debate.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 05, 2011
Beaf, you're not making any sense.

I too want to know Jonathan's vast achievements to secure such massive following.

(Please don't mention the regulation of petrol price. For 8 months GEJ has always reminded me at every function or opportunity and I have noted it. I just wished he did the same for diesel and kerosine.)
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by doyin13(m): 1:39pm On Feb 05, 2011
Beaf:

Nigerians will continue to support what is good for them, and not what some random fellow wishes to foist on them.

Na wa. . .

Power generation measured in megawatts jotted down on some technocrat's notebook. I mean come on. People still live in absolute darkness.

Fuel scarcity though is a plus. It is good to not hear of endless queues waiting for fuel from a major oil producing country.

But we are still measuring success in fits and starts, nitpicking rather than talking of a transformation which the country needs. As is the tradition, the leaders point to minor battles, nay minor skirmishes where they came out tops, while the larger battle was a total failure. Obj will point to debt reduction, Babangida will point to Third Mainland and Abuja and even Abacha will point to the creation of Bayelsa state and such nonsense, while the country as an entity continued to fail and lie paralysed.

Now there is nothing wrong with highlighting your successes. But it becomes insulting to do so when your failures register more in the lives of the people. And don't gimme crap that transformation comes with time. Then he shouldn't be claiming successes in such a short period of time either. If you are prepared to declare victory in certain sectors, then you should be prepared to accept blame for the failures too.

Sceptics like me see too much of the old in this Jonathan administration. There is simply nothing to suggest that a new direction will come. The same old vultures chewing on the carcasses of the people.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by Beaf: 1:53pm On Feb 05, 2011
^
What exactly is your argument? You sound confused, are you talking about IBB, Obj, Abacha or Jonathan?
Are you saying that the power situation has not improved because people still sleep in darkness? I don't get your argument or its rational.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by doyin13(m): 2:01pm On Feb 05, 2011
Beaf:

^
What exactly is your argument? You sound confused, are you talking about IBB, Obj, Abacha or Jonathan?
Are you saying that the power situation has not improved because people still sleep in darkness? I don't get your argument or its rational.

I am talking about all . Jonathan is no different from all of them. Thesame way of doing business and thesame way of touting little successes while explaining away their many failures with ridiculous excuses.

And I think many would agree with me we should only start talking about success in the power sector when even a  sizeable minority of Nigerians can point to constant availability of power. We are not talking majority here. Just a sizeable minority. We have all heard it before. Six thousand megawatts by december, ten thousand megawatts by 2012. E don do. Just shut up and gimme the chance to wake up and flick the light switch with confidence in the morning. Till then, don't beat your chest about it Mr President and Information Minister.
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by nduchucks: 2:03pm On Feb 05, 2011
afam4eva-Posted-this:

It's that fundamental way we want to know. Do u care to share some?

Beaf-replied-thus:

^
Please read what I posted again, and if you disagree, say why. There is a lot in the few sentences I wrote. One-liners that aren't thought out or focussed in any direction do not enrich debate.

@Beaf, hahahahahahahaha!! Do you think this is a game of dodge ball, Mallama Maradonna?  Answer the simple question you were asked jor. You wrote : GEJ is immensely popular among Nigerians, because he has touched lives in fundamental ways.  When asked to be specific you started dodging - typical of olodos. I laugh in Ijaw
Re: Is Goodluck The Best We Can Do? (no Insults Or Ethnic/religious Arguments Pls) by ddcmachine: 2:06pm On Feb 05, 2011
Gej achievements : *price stability/availability of petroleum, *resucitation of the collapse textile industry in kano which is now functioning, *the evacuation of almajiris from the streets to classrooms in the north which they didn't venture, *power megawat increament from 3622mw to 4000mw, *the straight flight to the US, *gej is very democratic. On the crises in jos and borno, the citizens shld live up to been security contious. Dn't tell me the problems there is/are imported. What happen in the n.d and Aba? There were tip-offs by the inhabitants of the area to the security agents then it was calm.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Murder Of Kudirat Abiola: Shofolahan Denies Working For Mrs. Abiola ! / General Gej In Pictures / Did Cbn Governor, Sanusi Lamido Meet With Osama Bin Laden In The Sudan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.