Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience (30696 Views)

Best Hospital For Lasik Eye Surgery / The Benefits Of Lasik Eye Surgery / Laser Surgery Experience For Piles/hermorroids And Anal Fissure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Motirayo2018(f): 8:31pm On Jul 15, 2020
What are been look into before moving a thread to frontpage..

My daughter has a failed cataract surgery that is almost making her blind. Having been begging for help for my thread to move to frontpage
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by freemi(m): 8:32pm On Jul 15, 2020
tundchip2:
I remember when i was at UCH for an eye related ailment. I was injected in the eye. People still don't believe till date.
but is ur eyes olrite now?
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by freemi(m): 8:33pm On Jul 15, 2020
cry
Motirayo2018:
What are been look into before moving a thread to frontpage..

My daughter has a failed cataract surgery that is almost making her blind. Having been begging for help for my thread to move to frontpage
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by luvlyoracle(m): 8:34pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
Lol, this is my story, written by me 100%, I just decided to share on Nairaland and only people with eye problems will find it really useful.

I wrote it on my blog here: https://mimiejay.com/my-lasik-surgery-experience/ and I even did a youtube vlog here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJqDQziSYQ

Now you can see that I'm not an idiot?

By the way, you don't have to be angry on every post, whatever it is you are going through, you shall overcome, it's just a matter of time, trust me.
Hello...could you brief me about contact lens it's side effects advantages and disadvantages
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Motirayo2018(f): 8:35pm On Jul 15, 2020
jasent:
i was also injected on the eye.I did first surgery in Benin.3 weeks later a friend who lives in Ibadan asked me to visit UCH Ibadan.There was no need for further surgery but they want ahead to use my eye for experiment.I was not even told it was another surgery,They just said they were going to check the eye.If like I know I for sue UCH...They spent over 4 hours untop my eyes oh.I could sense the frustration on the doctor because of the way he was asking question like,"When did you say the first surgery was done"And many questions related to the first surgery. In fact enh,God just saved my eye that day.

Those doctor only use patients eye for practical.

1 Like

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
IamCookie:
Quite an experience.

Modified:
I want to believe when your nerves get in place , then the surgery can take place, isn't it ?

It's better and advisable to go to the professionals when it comes to health issues.
Yes, the doctor said the new lens will correct the issue and after a a few weeks, I should come back.

1 Like

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by javaRookie: 8:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
So mimiejay how much did you pay for this sponsored post?

WTF!??
tundchip2:
I remember when i was at UCH for an eye related ailment. I was injected in the eye. People still don't believe till date.
What??!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by jasent(m): 8:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
Motirayo2018:

Those doctor only use patients eye for practical.
yes oh.mine was for complete practical oh.
Kaymaxi2222:
Pele dear........ I hope you will find a permanent solution soon. Till then be strong and don't mind the name callers.
Lol, yes thanks
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
Op should consider a career in blogging

That heading is typical of Bloggers

'My failed LASIK surgery' grin
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MhizJoyce(f): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
Nice writeup
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
flyca:
I thought you did the surgery and your vision got worse. Mtcheeeew! angry
GOD FORBID grin grin grin
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MhizJoyce(f): 8:38pm On Jul 15, 2020
tundchip2:
Lol
Wtf
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Shakaranews2020: 8:38pm On Jul 15, 2020
Sorry O.

Meanwhile, see shocking looks of your favourite nollywood actress without Wig and makeup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEBgD-0nQU
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by angelfallz(m): 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
So, I am short-sighted. I started wearing glasses 15 years ago officially and that is more than half of my life. WOW!

Well, I’ve gotten used to it over the years so it doesn’t bother me anymore unlike when I just got my glasses. I’d hear stuff like “Oju igo, how far nah?” interpreted as “Four-eyes, how are you?” If you’re one of those people that make jest of people that wear glasses, then, my God will judge you o. Some even called me a nerd. But like I said, I have gotten used to it. I even slay with my glasses, makeup and all.

When I started wearing glasses, I started off as a consistent person but that one is a long story now. Because I avoid wearing my glasses regularly, my eyesight got really worse (what was I expecting, right?). I got used to not being able to see so many things. I even avoided reading billboards altogether.

Even now, I’m still not the regular ‘glasses person’, and considering the fact that the lens of my glasses is pretty thick, I have been playing myself. I get headaches most of the time because I have to strain my eyes and I still wouldn’t wear my glasses *I get coconut head. I no dey hear word*

Last year, after a lot of research anyways, I found out that there is something called LASIK surgery. I didn’t know that something could be done to correct your eyesight. I mean, glasses correct your sight over time or at least not make it worse yeah? But this would permanently correct your sight. Permanently! Yep guys! But I had just one tiny little problem.

SURGERY!

In the eyes!

Ah! What if it goes wrong?

Trust me now, you can relate to this especially if you grew up in Nigeria. So I just waved the whole surgery thought aside that 'ko necestree'. Urmm… I like my glasses. I don’t want to be blind pleaseeee…….

LASIK is a laser refractive surgery that reshapes the front surface (that’s the cornea) of the eyes. It enables light entering the eyes to focus on the retina without the aid of glasses or contact lens. In simpler English, you will see like normal people. It is ideal for patients who are shortsighted, longsighted or those who have astigmatism.

Since I am short-sighted, I opted for LASIK .

Actually, I got to know about LASIK back in Nigeria when someone close to me had his done and for a couple of days, he couldn’t see well and it was just so uncomfortable. Although this went away and he had 20/20 after some days but… I was there. I saw how uncomfortable he was. So I decided there and then that nahh…. this can’t be me.

About a week ago, a friend of mine, here in Dubai had his done and in less than a day, he could see perfectly well. It was that fast! I got gingered and I had to consider it. As luck would have it, where he had the surgery done, they were currently running a Ramadan promo where you pay almost half the actual price. You people will say I like awoof now. But it’s actually a great deal.

I went ahead to book an appointment at the North American LASIK centre here in Dubai and I was told not to wear my contact lens before coming for the surgery. Since I haven’t actually been wearing lens for a while now, I was good to go.

Now To My Experience…

On the day of my appointment, I had to go through a series of tests before the surgery. The first thing was to get my eye-power read. The machine read it to be -6 (minus 6) then a manual test was conducted and it read -5.5. They had to check my prescription glasses as well and it read -5 and -5.5. The doctor goes, “It’s not supposed to read this”. He said two of those readings were supposed to match at least. I almost panicked.

I was then given an eye drop to relax my eye nerves and I went for another test.

It was at this test that I found out I had been wearing the wrong prescription glasses for about 3 years. E shock you?! Me too! I discovered that I should be using a prescription of -3.75 thereabout and the current prescription I use reads -5. I wasn’t sure whether to be angry or happy. Happy because I might not be that ‘blind’ after all.

I proceeded to ask the doctor how I was able to see with the glasses for so long. He told me that my nerves accommodated it and that I needed to get my nerves in place before I can eventually get the surgery done. I was given another prescription and he recommended that I also get daily contact lens, disposable ones.

In short, I wasn’t able to get the surgery done. To think I was already anticipating how wonderful my sight would be and how I would pepper all the haters. It was a sad ending.

Thank you for reading.

Kpele.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2020
rickyboss333:

Haba babe... But u should have used a better heading for your topic na, like "my missed Lasik surgery" or something. You done make fear catch me na.
It's NAIRALAND that actually modified the title.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2020
angelfallz:

Kpele.
Eshey grin
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Ishilove: 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2020
I will stick to my -10 glasses before village people will hijack my attempt at surgery and render my enemy sightless.

3 Likes

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by TEAMvido(m): 8:39pm On Jul 15, 2020
pls someone should recommend a very good eye hospital in Nigeria..
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:40pm On Jul 15, 2020
eni4real:
Op should consider a career in blogging

That heading is typical of Bloggers

'My failed LASIK surgery' grin
That wasn't even my title. Nairaland changed it before moving it to FP.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
That wasn't even my title. Nairaland changed it before moving it to FP.
Oh, Eye see shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:41pm On Jul 15, 2020
TEAMvido:
pls someone should recommend a very good eye hospital in Nigeria..
I recommend Eye Foundation hospital https://eyefoundationhospital.com/

1 Like

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by IamCookie(f): 8:41pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
Yes, the doctor said the new lens will correct the issue and after a a few weeks, I should come back.

It will be done and your sight will return to normal. Keep hope alive
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:41pm On Jul 15, 2020
Ishilove:
I will stick to my -10 glasses before village people will hijack my attempt at surgery and render my enemy sightless.
grin grin grin
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by flyca: 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
GOD FORBID grin grin grin
Amen! But I was disappointed after reading based on your headline.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Motirayo2018(f): 8:43pm On Jul 15, 2020
jasent:
yes oh.mine was for complete practical oh.
My daughter was use by different doctors there.they instilled different eye drop to check
She was check almost every hour by different opthalmologist.her eye is always blue from the eye drop and painful.
The consultant only check her twice a week.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Ishilove: 8:44pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
grin grin grin
Abi. Aani re'su.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Originalsly: 8:46pm On Jul 15, 2020
While reading and you mentioned headache.... I immediately thought the lens was too strong. I was afraid you were doing the surgery in Nigeria.... not that no one is competent enough... but the risk of failure is super high.
I would suggest you stick with glasses.... unless they have to be the ones thick like drink bottle bottom.
I can understand your fear of eye surgery....which they prefer to do with your eyes wide open while you are fully conscious. With a well equipped surgery and competent experienced surgeon... eye surgery is wayyyy less painful than treating a cut. This I'm talking from experience... had eye surgery... one mosquito bite kinda injection below the eye to numb the eye area... and after that only pressure as I strongly believe the surgeon been using my face as arm rest.... but no pain. They went into my eye and took out some kind flesh.... took out my now damaged lens and replaced it with artificial lens... then they did laser surgery to patch up some tiny holes and tears in the surrounding muscles....is like they had a party in my eye... then suddenly it was over as the surgeon slapped this thick bandage over the eye. Took like 30 minutes total... finished like 7 p.m... then..." come back tomorrow morning at 8 ". More surgery... I showed up on time... all the while wondering how many weeks or months I'll be like one eyed bandit. The guy literally ripped off the bandage and wow! ..my eye was like brand new!...the old eye... analog... the new eye... digital! But on the real.... surgery on the eye ...it sounds like torture but it is not.

6 Likes

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Ibkay32(m): 8:47pm On Jul 15, 2020
You look pretty😘😘😘
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2020
flyca:

Amen! But I was disappointed after reading based on your headline.
Lol everyone is saying the same thing but that was not my title. It's NAIRALAND that changed the title before moving to frontpage. My original title was not good enough to make people click I guess.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Please Help Me...i'm Always Hungry. / Kano Deaths: ‘41% Showed COVID-19 Symptom’ — New Survey Sheds Light / PHOTOS: 11-year-old Girl Undergoes Life-changing Surgery To Correct Her Bow Legs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.