Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience (30739 Views)

Best Hospital For Lasik Eye Surgery / The Benefits Of Lasik Eye Surgery / Laser Surgery Experience For Piles/hermorroids And Anal Fissure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Motirayo2018(f): 8:51pm On Jul 15, 2020
Eye surgery is better done in a private eye clinic than government hospital
If the fund is available.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:51pm On Jul 15, 2020
IamCookie:

It will be done and your sight will return to normal. Keep hope alive
Thanks
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by ladyF(f): 8:52pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
Yes, the doctor said the new lens will correct the issue and after a a few weeks, I should come back.

What was the cost of the procedure in $ pls cry
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by DappaD: 8:52pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
So, I am short-sighted. I started wearing glasses 15 years ago officially and that is more than half of my life. WOW!

Well, I’ve gotten used to it over the years so it doesn’t bother me anymore unlike when I just got my glasses. I’d hear stuff like “Oju igo, how far nah?” interpreted as “Four-eyes, how are you?” If you’re one of those people that make jest of people that wear glasses, then, my God will judge you o. Some even called me a nerd. But like I said, I have gotten used to it. I even slay with my glasses, makeup and all.

When I started wearing glasses, I started off as a consistent person but that one is a long story now. Because I avoid wearing my glasses regularly, my eyesight got really worse (what was I expecting, right?). I got used to not being able to see so many things. I even avoided reading billboards altogether.

Even now, I’m still not the regular ‘glasses person’, and considering the fact that the lens of my glasses is pretty thick, I have been playing myself. I get headaches most of the time because I have to strain my eyes and I still wouldn’t wear my glasses *I get coconut head. I no dey hear word*

Last year, after a lot of research anyways, I found out that there is something called LASIK surgery. I didn’t know that something could be done to correct your eyesight. I mean, glasses correct your sight over time or at least not make it worse yeah? But this would permanently correct your sight. Permanently! Yep guys! But I had just one tiny little problem.

SURGERY!

In the eyes!

Ah! What if it goes wrong?

Trust me now, you can relate to this especially if you grew up in Nigeria. So I just waved the whole surgery thought aside that 'ko necestree'. Urmm… I like my glasses. I don’t want to be blind pleaseeee…….

LASIK is a laser refractive surgery that reshapes the front surface (that’s the cornea) of the eyes. It enables light entering the eyes to focus on the retina without the aid of glasses or contact lens. In simpler English, you will see like normal people. It is ideal for patients who are shortsighted, longsighted or those who have astigmatism.

Since I am short-sighted, I opted for LASIK .

Actually, I got to know about LASIK back in Nigeria when someone close to me had his done and for a couple of days, he couldn’t see well and it was just so uncomfortable. Although this went away and he had 20/20 after some days but… I was there. I saw how uncomfortable he was. So I decided there and then that nahh…. this can’t be me.

About a week ago, a friend of mine, here in Dubai had his done and in less than a day, he could see perfectly well. It was that fast! I got gingered and I had to consider it. As luck would have it, where he had the surgery done, they were currently running a Ramadan promo where you pay almost half the actual price. You people will say I like awoof now. But it’s actually a great deal.

I went ahead to book an appointment at the North American LASIK centre here in Dubai and I was told not to wear my contact lens before coming for the surgery. Since I haven’t actually been wearing lens for a while now, I was good to go.

Now To My Experience…

On the day of my appointment, I had to go through a series of tests before the surgery. The first thing was to get my eye-power read. The machine read it to be -6 (minus 6) then a manual test was conducted and it read -5.5. They had to check my prescription glasses as well and it read -5 and -5.5. The doctor goes, “It’s not supposed to read this”. He said two of those readings were supposed to match at least. I almost panicked.

I was then given an eye drop to relax my eye nerves and I went for another test.

It was at this test that I found out I had been wearing the wrong prescription glasses for about 3 years. E shock you?! Me too! I discovered that I should be using a prescription of -3.75 thereabout and the current prescription I use reads -5. I wasn’t sure whether to be angry or happy. Happy because I might not be that ‘blind’ after all.

I proceeded to ask the doctor how I was able to see with the glasses for so long. He told me that my nerves accommodated it and that I needed to get my nerves in place before I can eventually get the surgery done. I was given another prescription and he recommended that I also get daily contact lens, disposable ones.

In short, I wasn’t able to get the surgery done. To think I was already anticipating how wonderful my sight would be and how I would pepper all the haters. It was a sad ending.

Thank you for reading.

So do you mean someone who is shortsighted should keep wearing glasses continuously?
I was thought it was the continuous use of glasses that made one to become fully dependent on it.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by olujaidi: 8:55pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
So, I am short-sighted. I started wearing glasses 15 years ago officially and that is more than half of my life. WOW!

Well, I’ve gotten used to it over the years so it doesn’t bother me anymore unlike when I just got my glasses. I’d hear stuff like “Oju igo, how far nah?” interpreted as “Four-eyes, how are you?” If you’re one of those people that make jest of people that wear glasses, then, my God will judge you o. Some even called me a nerd. But like I said, I have gotten used to it. I even slay with my glasses, makeup and all.

When I started wearing glasses, I started off as a consistent person but that one is a long story now. Because I avoid wearing my glasses regularly, my eyesight got really worse (what was I expecting, right?). I got used to not being able to see so many things. I even avoided reading billboards altogether.

Even now, I’m still not the regular ‘glasses person’, and considering the fact that the lens of my glasses is pretty thick, I have been playing myself. I get headaches most of the time because I have to strain my eyes and I still wouldn’t wear my glasses *I get coconut head. I no dey hear word*

Last year, after a lot of research anyways, I found out that there is something called LASIK surgery. I didn’t know that something could be done to correct your eyesight. I mean, glasses correct your sight over time or at least not make it worse yeah? But this would permanently correct your sight. Permanently! Yep guys! But I had just one tiny little problem.

SURGERY!

In the eyes!

Ah! What if it goes wrong?

Trust me now, you can relate to this especially if you grew up in Nigeria. So I just waved the whole surgery thought aside that 'ko necestree'. Urmm… I like my glasses. I don’t want to be blind pleaseeee…….

LASIK is a laser refractive surgery that reshapes the front surface (that’s the cornea) of the eyes. It enables light entering the eyes to focus on the retina without the aid of glasses or contact lens. In simpler English, you will see like normal people. It is ideal for patients who are shortsighted, longsighted or those who have astigmatism.

Since I am short-sighted, I opted for LASIK .

Actually, I got to know about LASIK back in Nigeria when someone close to me had his done and for a couple of days, he couldn’t see well and it was just so uncomfortable. Although this went away and he had 20/20 after some days but… I was there. I saw how uncomfortable he was. So I decided there and then that nahh…. this can’t be me.

About a week ago, a friend of mine, here in Dubai had his done and in less than a day, he could see perfectly well. It was that fast! I got gingered and I had to consider it. As luck would have it, where he had the surgery done, they were currently running a Ramadan promo where you pay almost half the actual price. You people will say I like awoof now. But it’s actually a great deal.

I went ahead to book an appointment at the North American LASIK centre here in Dubai and I was told not to wear my contact lens before coming for the surgery. Since I haven’t actually been wearing lens for a while now, I was good to go.

Now To My Experience…

On the day of my appointment, I had to go through a series of tests before the surgery. The first thing was to get my eye-power read. The machine read it to be -6 (minus 6) then a manual test was conducted and it read -5.5. They had to check my prescription glasses as well and it read -5 and -5.5. The doctor goes, “It’s not supposed to read this”. He said two of those readings were supposed to match at least. I almost panicked.

I was then given an eye drop to relax my eye nerves and I went for another test.

It was at this test that I found out I had been wearing the wrong prescription glasses for about 3 years. E shock you?! Me too! I discovered that I should be using a prescription of -3.75 thereabout and the current prescription I use reads -5. I wasn’t sure whether to be angry or happy. Happy because I might not be that ‘blind’ after all.

I proceeded to ask the doctor how I was able to see with the glasses for so long. He told me that my nerves accommodated it and that I needed to get my nerves in place before I can eventually get the surgery done. I was given another prescription and he recommended that I also get daily contact lens, disposable ones.

In short, I wasn’t able to get the surgery done. To think I was already anticipating how wonderful my sight would be and how I would pepper all the haters. It was a sad ending.

Thank you for reading.

You might find endmyopia.org useful. Check them out on Facebook for the support group
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by panpan(m): 8:56pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
It's NAIRALAND that actually modified the title.

Your Youtube video has the same title.

As rickyboss333 suggested, you should replace the word "Failed" with "Missed", at least in your Youtube video.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by MimieJay(f): 8:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
ladyF:

What was the cost of the procedure in $ pls cry
It’s 7000 AED, that’s like $2000.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by lilyheaven: 8:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
XX01:
You made me reach for my glasses. I will stop neglecting my glasses going forward.
Same here, I only remember it’s existence when my eyes start aching .

1 Like

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by clintz(m): 8:58pm On Jul 15, 2020
Please Mimie where did you do the LASIK test
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Charisma01: 8:59pm On Jul 15, 2020
EwuGambia:
Which kyn wahala be this.... undecided
Sooo what's now the moral lesson of this story?.... undecided

I don book fp before i even look the story self....mtchew!..

To the guy below me...abeg i'm also myopic, and the thread still doesn't make much sense because she didn't go ahead with the surgery...the outcome of the surgery would have validated the story! undecided

Bros the thing tire me too.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Jaqenhghar: 9:06pm On Jul 15, 2020
CyberEBOLA:
ONLY THOSE WITH MYOPIA WILL UNDERSTAND HOW USEFUL AND REVEALING THIS THREAD IS.

I was actually thinking about going for this surgery, but when I realized that any mistake can make me blind forever, i decided to stick to my lovely glasses.

The funniest thing is that most doctors doing the surgery, prefer using glasses than undergoing surgery to correct the sight.

MODIFIED: Ewu Gambia I just read the whole thing,
Moral lesson is: Dont waste your money. LOLZZ
Interesting. I heard they usually do it in one eye first and see in case one goes blind in that eye. True?
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Prism(f): 9:07pm On Jul 15, 2020
Sometimes I feel my optician is purposefully increasing the power of my lens because the higher it goes (-4,-5,-6 ), the more expensive it becomes. Because why in the world is my eye sight not improving? Infact it is getting worse with each increased prescription lens. Am I the only one who feels this way??
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by CyberEBOLA(m): 9:10pm On Jul 15, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Interesting. I heard they usually do it in one eye first and see in case one goes blind in that eye. True?
Yes, in some cases that is how it is done.
If it turns out fine, they proceed with the second eye.
At least being blind in one eye is better than both eyes. LOLZ
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by CyberEBOLA(m): 9:12pm On Jul 15, 2020
Prism:
Sometimes I feel my optician is purposefully increasing the power of my lens because the higher it goes (-4,-5,-6 ), the more expensive it becomes. Because why in the world is my eye sight not improving? Infact it is getting worse with each increased prescription lens. Am I the only one who feels this way??
WELCOME TO NIGERIA
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by InvertedHammer: 9:15pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:

/
If full price gets 20/20 vision, I hope half-price won't be 10/20. Get a written guarantee. No be say you like awoof afterall na you use your mouth dey judge matter.

/
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by DappaD: 9:15pm On Jul 15, 2020
Prism:
-6 you've gone far oo shocked shocked
Been using glasses since 2009 and I'm still on -4
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Jaqenhghar: 9:17pm On Jul 15, 2020
CyberEBOLA:

Yes, in some cases that is how it is done.
If it turns out fine, they proceed with the second eye.
At least being blind in one eye is better than both eyes. LOLZ
True. Hehe. but do you know the chances of going blind
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 15, 2020

1 Like

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 15, 2020
Openbusiness3:
shocked OMG, I spent 15 minutes to read dis, maybe my eyes is seeing double an I missed d part she finish surgery and hear the sweet story about her new eyesight.... but NO...... Av neva feel so used, abused, betrayed and dumped in my life. OP God will judge u sad Waris d meaning of dis na? You must go back n do d surgery by force. Can't put me in suspense for nutin.

I can't stop laughing at the bolded grin grin grin

You guys eh??.. Its like the funny lots of nairaland have resurrected again. Lol..
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by ebig21(m): 9:22pm On Jul 15, 2020
Originalsly:
While reading and you mentioned headache.... I immediately thought the lens was too strong. I was afraid you were doing the surgery in Nigeria.... not that no one is competent enough... but the risk of failure is super high.
I would suggest you stick with glasses.... unless they have to be the ones thick like drink bottle bottom.
I can understand your fear of eye surgery....which they prefer to do with your eyes wide open while you are fully conscious. With a well equipped surgery and competent experienced surgeon... eye surgery is wayyyy less painful than treating a cut. This I'm talking from experience... had eye surgery... one mosquito bite kinda injection below the eye to numb the eye area... and after that only pressure as I strongly believe the surgeon been using my face as arm rest.... but no pain. They went into my eye and took out some kind flesh.... took out my now damaged lens and replaced it with artificial lens... then they did laser surgery to patch up some tiny holes and tears in the surrounding muscles....is like they had a party in my eye... then suddenly it was over as the surgeon slapped this thick bandage over the eye. Took like 30 minutes total... finished like 7 p.m... then..." come back tomorrow morning at 8 ". More surgery... I showed up on time... all the while wondering how many weeks or months I'll be like one eyed bandit. The guy literally ripped off the bandage and wow! ..my eye was like brand new!...the old eye... analog... the new eye... digital! But on the real.... surgery on the eye ...it sounds like torture but it is not.
Where did you do your own surgery? In Nigeria?
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by LADEMINUS: 9:25pm On Jul 15, 2020
Firstly, we cannot begin to understand your situation because we do not know your age. Your age determines your myopia progression. The doctor must have determined that your myopia status is still changing, in such a case it is useless having Lasik surgery.
If he decides to correct you for X amount of myopia, when your power may still change in the future, you understand you will not be a happy patient as you will then need the very lenses you wanted to drop, or another LASIK.
also, Myopia has NO cure, it is not a disease. It simply a body characteristic, such as height, skin colour etc.. you cannot 'cure' it, same as you cannot cure any other refractive error. But like cosmetic surgery, you can remedy it by adjusting the body characteristics, in this case the cornea. But this can only be done when your eye power is stable.
Lastly, do not take information from any fake site that claims to provide any cure.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by tundchip2: 9:27pm On Jul 15, 2020
freemi:
but is ur eyes olrite now?
Yes, this was like 11 years ago
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by CyberEBOLA(m): 9:29pm On Jul 15, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

True. Hehe. but do you know the chances of going blind
The chances are lower compared to side effects like halos, double vision, glare, dry eyes...e.t.c...
Incase you are considering it, make sure you go to a good surgeon, because this is a permanent modification of an important part of the body.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by tundchip2: 9:30pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
What??!!! shocked shocked shocked
The needle is different from the normal ones they use on other body parts. I Didn't really feel the pain because i was pumped full of pain killers
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by tundchip2: 9:31pm On Jul 15, 2020
MhizJoyce:

Lol
Wtf
Swears mehn. If i didn't experience it and someone else told me, I also would never believe.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by CyberEBOLA(m): 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2020
tundchip2:
Yes, this was like 11 years ago
Cool. What was your defect?
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by fairytale(f): 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2020
MimieJay:
Lol twinnie. the glasses and contacts are more like same effect. But I'll go back for the surgery soon, there's nothing like having to see naturally. Ensure to subscribe to my youtube channel twinnie kiss kiss kiss.
The glasses are really tiring. I really can't wait to see naturally too. I'll subscribe twinnie
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by Originalsly: 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2020
ebig21:

Where did you do your own surgery? In Nigeria?

New York City.... I guess they are very good because they do soo many daily at various hospitals and their private clinics ... I'm almost sure they can perform surgeries with their eyes closed.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by tundchip2: 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
CyberEBOLA:
Cool. What was your defect?
I was a stubborn kid.
Cane entered my left eye while my mom was beating me. I was Almost blinded, spent a full school term at the hospital.
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by ebig21(m): 9:38pm On Jul 15, 2020
Originalsly:

New York City.... I guess they are very good because they do soo many daily at various hospitals and their private clinics ... I'm almost sure they can perform surgeries with their eyes closed.
Okay, we wey dey naija make we dey manage our eyes, till we get money leave naija

1 Like

Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by earnit1: 9:46pm On Jul 15, 2020
Ye
Re: My Failed Lasik Surgery Experience by NiCurious: 9:47pm On Jul 15, 2020
After reading the title of your post, I am relieved to learn that you need only postpone your surgery until your eyes have relaxed back to their natural state. I was worried that something had gone horribly wrong with the surgery, and your eyesight was worse than before! I know several people who have had laser eye surgery, and after their recovery, they said they wished they hadn't waited so long to do it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Northern Nigeria At High Risk — Gates Foundation / Boy, 13, Has No Reproductive Organs (Photo) / How Much Does Root Canal Procedure Cost In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.