Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,470 members, 7,819,718 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? (27334 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery As Lucrative As It Seems / Chartered Accountancy Vs Legal Profession: Which One Is More Lucrative? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Razzman1: 2:22pm On Jul 18, 2020
Who dey even want lawyer now?
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Clonepops(m): 2:25pm On Jul 18, 2020
bekpo:

U must have been a very stupid and an unfortunate fellow for saying this to d most noble profession! Your frustration is second to none!

You be mumu if you don't want to acknowledge realities.... People dey lie give you say you dey the most noble profession.. What's noble ablit collecting 15k a month

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by drehdinho(m): 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2020
I'm a lawyer in the making. In fact, if not for this pandemic, my final project would have been approved.

I studied law for the passion and to sincerely give back to the society. I have my stories to tell about my experience with life and society in general.

While I was studying law, I was making money to sponsor myself. Money making is a total different ball game from education.

Education is a legacy, and the noble profession offers down to you knowledge and wisdom that can't be gotten from no where other than studying the course.

Have never regretted studying law. With a course like law comes a lot of opportunities. You have to connect with people. Do online researches to identify some of these goldmine.

When it comes to technology, you can't push me behind. I code. I'm a digital marketing pro. I have a lot of stuff outside the world of law.

But in all, what matters is the purpose for going into whatever you are doing right now.

Law is lucrative. Why it appears like many are finding it hard to make it despite bagging that noble degree is this: laziness and lack of readiness to face the reality with what life has got to present to them.

Say no such thing about law again. If you're a lawyer in the making, you're on the right path. If you are already a lawyer but you haven't made it yet, never be sad yet, you stand a very high chance of making it big any moment.

All I would advise is keep connecting with people and work on your weaknesses. Then don't stop selling and working on your strenght.

Listen not to opinions as the OP's. It will do no good for you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Etinosa1234: 2:33pm On Jul 18, 2020
drehdinho:
I'm a lawyer in the making. In fact, if not for this pandemic, my final project would have been approved.

I studied law for the passion and to sincerely give back to the society. I have my stories to tell about my experience with life and society in general.

While I was studying law, I was making money to sponsor myself. Money making is a total different ball game from education.

Education is a legacy, and the noble profession offers down to you knowledge and wisdom that can't be gotten from no where other than studying the course.

Have never regretted studying law. With a course like law comes a lot of opportunities. You have to connect with people. Do online researches to identify some of these goldmine.

When it comes to technology, you can't push me behind. I code. I'm a digital marketing pro. I have a lot of stuff outside the world of law.

But in all, what matters is the purpose for going into whatever you are doing right now.

Law is lucrative. Why it appears like many are finding it hard to make it despite bagging that noble degree is this: laziness and lack of readiness to face the reality with what life has got to present to them.

Say no such thing about law again. If you're a lawyer in the making, you're on the right path. If you are already a lawyer but you haven't made it yet, never be sad yet, you stand a very high chance of making it big any moment.

All I would advise is keep connecting with people and work on your weaknesses. Then don't stop selling and working on your strenght.

u earn thru coding?
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by daniddan1999: 2:36pm On Jul 18, 2020
A
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Karac: 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2020
If either of your parent is not an established lawyer and you don't have a VERY CLOSE family member (aunty or uncle) who is established in the law profession, I won't advise you study law.

I didn't study law but out of the law students I met back then in school, only few are really killing it today. And this few are those I knew had jobs waiting for them even before they graduated. This has nothing to do with them being the most brilliant among their peers, but they have parents who are established in the profession and own a chamber. Talk about SAN pikins dem.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Samabu07(m): 2:40pm On Jul 18, 2020
gunners160:
Truth be told, a lot of those gibberish courses we studied in school back then are no longer needed again and not just law profession.
I think it is high time Nigeria change her curriculum and focus more on science related courses

Sociology, psychology, business admin, criminology, political science etc no get use

That's the truth. The educational system needs a total over hauling. We need a practical and research driven curriculum not some crammy or spammy topics/courses.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by olaniyilukman(m): 2:42pm On Jul 18, 2020
goaldynboy:

Don't be deceived! Those young lawyers earning 15k still amass up to 200k monthly from the goings-on in the firm! It all depends on the firm he works! Moreover, that lawyer earning 15k can make N20m in one business deal, even while still working under his principal!

That's why they say no employer can pay a lawyer!

Look around you, you won't see a lawyer starving!!

Look again, you will see that most wealthy people are lawyers!!!!!!!!!!

But the profession requires PATIENCE sha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boss this is not true, I have many of them as friends,they are really suffering

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Teespice(f): 2:43pm On Jul 18, 2020
Hmmmm...my lips are sealed because I am tired of talking about this.
maybe hidentity may have something to say.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by sixsgod: 2:45pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:
OP...are u a lawyer/Law student...

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

Simply my opinion...Don't disturb me
lol just pass your bar finals and do what you think is better for you
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by olaniyilukman(m): 2:46pm On Jul 18, 2020
Clonepops:

You be mumu if you don't want to acknowledge realities.... People dey lie give you say you dey the most noble profession.. What's noble ablit collecting 15k a month
Abeg Bros, help me tell am oh

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Siberia01(m): 2:47pm On Jul 18, 2020
grin

80's Law ,medicine , Engineering
2000's pharmacy cheesy

Nigerians done suffer for professional courses

while physics boys dey carry N50M to 60M a year home here for Russia

E b like say na only 4 courses dey for naija

medicine
law
engineer
pharmacy

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Clonepops(m): 2:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

Does Adam v Lindsell postal rule still apply today in email transactions? For two centuries the postal rule was regarded as a good law.

Law and morality are distinct. According to John Austin , Law is the what the sovereign authority says it is. There is nothing like a good law. Serial killers and mass shooters in American States where capital punishment is prohibited have been given life sentences when the families of the victims demanded death by hanging or electrocution. The families of the victims do not think it is good law while families of the convicted are satisfied. What about divorce laws that have given the fortune of wealthy men as alimony to their spouses who contributed no business advice other than being their marriage partner? See, it's good law to the feminist community and bad law to men who have worked hard to make a mark.

You see, the law is an ass. One can always twist it to suit him. To be "good" and to be "moral" are two distinctive conditions. While the former is objective, the latter is subjective. We have moral laws or non moral laws. There's never been a time in history that humans of any country or race have unanimously acknowledged that law is good.

By the way, there are more poor lawyers than rich ones.

Guy you are either in 100 lvl or 200 lvl

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by goaldynboy: 2:51pm On Jul 18, 2020
SocialJustice:
You sound like a lawyer in distress, I'm not saying you're.

Law is a trade with so many opportunities. You have only listed one which falls under Law of torts but there are property law, commercial law, Law of Agreement, tax law, trusts, marriage law, and so many others.

Even the charge and bail you spoke of could also be very lucrative for a lawyer who knows what it's doing.

Lawyers are eligible to work everywhere and in all industries. Banking, oil and gas, technology, Sovereign Wealth Funds, WHO, WTO, government, civil service, just name any sphere of life, lawyers are needed.

I currently hold a degree in arts but law is my dream profession, there's so much more I can achieve as a lawyer. I can get an LLB in 2 years through graduate entry in the UK, Nigeria is 5 years, what a waste of time, then I can choose to do either SRA or Bar exams. I prefer SRA but Bar could hold its own opportunities.

Lack of jobs is a big problem in Nigeria, all professional courses are affected - doctors were advised to go into farming by the minister of labour, there are jobless doctors and engineers all over the place.

For a non lawyer like you to be lecturing that 'lawyer in distress' on what the profession entails is amazing!!!

Most people only see the few lawyers that are poor; they don't see the majority that are wealthy!!!!
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by elguaje(m): 2:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

1. Too many graduates, little job slots

2. Senior colleagues are not ready to give the younger ones a chance

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.

I dey with you

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Tuxpera: 2:59pm On Jul 18, 2020
NO
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by PhilipReigns(m): 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2020
The Police are to be blamed here
Cases that are supposed to land in court are now being settled by the police, collects bribe ontop, dismiss d case without d case even getting to court. Is it not when a case gets to court that people 'll hire a lawyer? In fact, lawyers 'beg' the police for cases now, note d word "BEG"

As we speak I have a very handsome lawyer bobo that had died, he graduated after a year, entered road to Libya from there to Europe and had an accident driving a white man, he died on the spot. An only son for that matter. Lawyers are now thinking outside d box.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Omonigeriarere: 3:03pm On Jul 18, 2020
drehdinho:

Honestly, a lot of people are ignorant about this topic. Lawyers that I know are living large, and I could have gone farther in life if my dream of becoming a lawyer came to fruition.

Meanwhile, I am a Chartered Secretary with specialization in regulatory and compliance matters. My dream of becoming a lawyer is still active but lack of time constitutes an obstacle.

Are there ways through which someone can earn law degree without quitting his job in Nigeria? I will be pleased if you can shed light on this.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Querty(m): 3:09pm On Jul 18, 2020
I prefer Medicine to law abeg..

My lawyer friends are so broke, broke all the time..

Meanwhile, just one doctor Friend that I have, I know how much he has given me. He is doing so well. Even when he was doing his house job, he made so much money. Now his doing his training in general surgery.

I hope to get married to a female medical doctor someday..lol. female doctors are gorgeous and sweet, mennnn

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Ikennablue(m): 3:10pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

bro, am sorry you feel this way. Am not a law student but an Architectural student and I believe so much in my profession.

I'll advise you desist from being so pessimistic about your profession. Your 6 years in school will be a waste if you say so. I believe that whatever you say or believe about yourself is exactly what is going to happen.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by biggy26: 3:14pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

1. Too many graduates, little job slots

2. Senior colleagues are not ready to give the younger ones a chance

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.
You make some sense, but remember, the world is like a jungle, it's survival of the fittest. No matter the profession you find yourself in, you must find your place or a way to stand out. Better still, a lawyer can specialize in areas that area lacking. Every lawyer mustn't be a litigant.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gerrard59(m): 3:16pm On Jul 18, 2020
The problems I see with practicing law in Nigeria are:

- The country is a lawless place. Practicing law in a lawless environment esp non-corporate can be discouraging.

- The economy isn't growing to necessitate demand for corporate lawyers.

- The mentality of the populace regarding fighting for one's rights is highly misplaced. Religious nature, communal way of settling disputes, poverty etc. Again, symptoms of a lawless society.

And many others. Does it mean there aren't successful lawyers? Certainly not, for we know successful lawyers in our network. I know two of my contemporaries who are doing well. One comes from a family of legal luminaries (uncle is a judge in a high court in his state). The other studied in a reputable private university founded by a notable lawyer. Which brings me to the point: if you are an aspiring law student from an indigent family, please ensure you studied in a renowned university noted for its strong alumni network in the legal sector, preferably a federal university. This enables you to have access to the alumni network and stand a chance to get recruited by Nigeria's magic/silver circle firms. To further increase your chances of getting a noticed, aim to get a first class. The first First Class law graduate of University of Illorin works at Aluko & Oyebode - a member of Nigeria's magic circle. He went to a federal university and finished with a first class. His chances are higher than someone of the same economic status who went to a state university and graduated with a 2.2.

Unlike the US where the economy is highly diversified and lawyers are allowed to advertise their services, same doesn't occur in Nigeria. Few years ago, Singaporean authorities reduced slots for aspiring law students into her universities and tightened grade distribution to control the number of lawyers in the country. Furthermore, she cautioned students who want to study abroad to ensure they study at reputable universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard etc.) to stand a chance when they return. That's Singapore; a lawful society, rich, and a top financial centre.

Use your head.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by klenton(m): 3:19pm On Jul 18, 2020
Mikkymilli:
The day I saw a post in nairaland where a lawyer said he earns 15k a month, i thanked God for my own life and I begged God to forgive me for all the times I've been ungrateful. I'm a private school teacher and I don't earn much(when school was still in section), not even up to 40k but on seeing the salary of a Nigerian lawyer that stayed 5 years in school and also went to law school, i became appreciative of what I have.

dont be naive, that a lawyer says he earns 15k monthly is not his net earning per month

infact lawyers in chambers are not supposed to earn salary as they also handle personal briefs and agreements and are paid for it, while they also collect appearance fees of 5 to 10k everyday for court appearances
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by goaldynboy: 3:23pm On Jul 18, 2020
myboy2111:

Stop embarrassing yourself with empty figures.How much does oil companies make in a day ? Is it everyday oil companies are having cases? Don't oil companies have their own legal unit? You are calling figures like a beer parlour illiterate

You are the one embarrassing yourself! The guy said a lawyer can make N100m in ONE DEAL! But you are making it look like he said N100m everyday!!!!
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by justli: 3:25pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:

People just don't understand. You have made a good decision; get the certificate and get skills in any other lucrative profession.
The truth is if I had to go back to school, I'd do law. The potential it has: you can move up the corporate ladder easily with your law degree. But you might have to add certifications in finance.

You have a stronger chance in politics with a law degree. Honestly the advantage is high as long as you don't limit yourself to practicing (charge and bail)

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by mrmattolanrewaju(m): 3:34pm On Jul 18, 2020
Is segalink a lawyer?

poiunt:

Nobody is going to give you chance, you have to fight for your chance by yourself.

It is easy to make name for yourself as a lawyer

Make noise and you will get attention

the reason why femi falana, sagalinks, mike.. are all making cash is because they are making noise.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
Clonepops:

Guy you are either in 100 lvl or 200 lvl
Nope, an attorney in an America.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Vianna(f): 3:41pm On Jul 18, 2020
Querty:
I prefer Medicine to law abeg..

My lawyer friends are so broke, broke all the time..

Meanwhile, just one doctor Friend that I have, I know how much he has given me. He is doing so well. Even when he was doing his house job, he made so much money. Now his doing his training in general surgery.

I hope to get married to a female medical doctor someday..lol. female doctors are gorgeous and sweet, mennnn
Medicine is a bit better. Even as interns(housejob) just after they graduate before going for NYSC, they earn between 130-160k. During NYSC too, they earn something decent at their ppa.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Goddys(m): 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2020
Acidosis:

You only paid for his signature and ID. The said agreement can be found by simply using Google. Most business centres have these agreements and contracts of sales in their numbers. I have a lot too on my laptop, and I'm not a lawyer.

I guess you are ignorant of study hours and stress involved in becoming a lawyer and having an NBA stamp.

That's how people think they know it all by using drafted agreements online without understanding the legal implication of clauses therein

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SocialJustice: 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2020
goaldynboy:

For a non lawyer like you to be lecturing that 'lawyer in distress' on what the profession entails is amazing!!!

Most people only see the few lawyers that are poor; they don't see the majority that are wealthy!!!!
Rushing into conclusion isn't a smart thing to do. Read my first sentence to the end.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by poiunt: 3:48pm On Jul 18, 2020
mrmattolanrewaju:
Is segalink a lawyer?

Damn, I just read that he is not a lawyer.

How come he is doing what lawyers are suppose to be doing.

Calling out injustice in our society.

You see why lawyers are lacking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? / I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / Airport Guards Who Returned Bag Of Dollars, Finally Honoured. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.