Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret (20349 Views)

Enyimba, Al Ittihad Wait On CAF Over Enyinba’s ‘Inability’ To Honour Retun Leg / Messi And Ronaldo Omitted From Uefa Men’s Poty Nominations / OFFICIAL: Messi, Ronaldo & Van Dijk Shortlisted For 2018-19 UEFA Men's POTY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by robosky02(m): 11:23am On Jul 17, 2020
Nigeria legend Austine Okocha says he regrets not winning the CAF African Footballer of the Year award during his playing days, reports Completesports.com.

Okocha won the Britsih Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) version of the award twice, but failed to pick the CAF honour.

The talented midfielder was widely tipped to win the award in 1998 following a superlative performance for the Super Eagles at the FIFA World Cup in France, but surprisingly lost out to Morocco’s Mustapha Hadji.

Okocha also came third twice in 2003 and 2004 , behind the duo of Samuel Eto’o and Didier Drogba.

“I thought I did enough to have won it because it wasn’t a fluke that I won the BBC POTY twice in a row and didn’t manage to win the CAF awards, may be it wasn’t meant to be,” Okocha was quoted by MastercardMEA.

The 46-year-old won the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations with the Super Eagles and was part of the side that came second in the 2000 edition co-hosted by Ghana and Nigeria.

The former Bolton Wanderers star was also part of the squad that came third thrice in 2002, 2004 and 2006.

Okocha scored 14 goals in 73 appearances for Nigeria

https://www.completesports.com/okocha-missing-out-on-caf-poty-award-my-biggest-regret/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by chatinent: 11:32am On Jul 17, 2020
Dude was busy dribbling. E feel say na by big head.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Ugaboy: 11:32am On Jul 17, 2020
He should know C.A.F Wasnt for everyone, cheated or not

3 Likes

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by robosky02(m): 11:36am On Jul 17, 2020
Was cheated twice by hayatou for etoo to winning

Too bad

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Logankavoh: 11:58am On Jul 17, 2020
Man like jay.

Lessons....Start working smart to make your dreams come true.. Cuss once you're much older is much harder and there's no turning back with age..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Slawormir: 11:58am On Jul 17, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Okocha nor play successful football
He was just dribbling and more of a ball juggler
He got no football sense
He contributed nothing and no impact in football
No marked effect and influence....
Neymar is even more of a Ball juggler than the okocha but neymar get football sense and seriousness join he own anyday anytime twice on Friday or rather twice on the day he dey represent Brazil

If you like quote me and insult me because you are a Nigerian

Me also na Nigerian but i must say the truth...he nor play better football....kanu the papilo was the real niggarrr
Nigerians....thier sense of judgement, reasoning and rationale is gone.....

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by amiibaby(f): 11:58am On Jul 17, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by EngineerBode: 11:58am On Jul 17, 2020
You did very well for yourself

If he was playing for a bigger English club instead of Bolton, he would have won it

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by GboyegaD(m): 11:59am On Jul 17, 2020
He played his best, had fun, and entertained the world. I understand his regrets if he feels so however, he just needs get it behind him.

21 Likes

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by EngineerBode: 11:59am On Jul 17, 2020
Many times, people seem to dwell on the one single negative and forget to count the many positives. He should focus on the positives

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by crossfm: 11:59am On Jul 17, 2020
The midfield maestro.He was so good they named him twice.
You shouldn't over beat yourself,we know it was hate and international politics that made them deny you the award.
You made football look so easy.I can't forget how you demolished the great oliver khan in a hurry.I respect you sir.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by bigcil2(m): 11:59am On Jul 17, 2020
I hope my guy invested ooo

Residential & Commercial lands for sale in Ikoyi , Lekki and Ajah
Farmlands for sale in OGUN state

Contact me now, click below

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by momodub: 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
Jj oga
Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by jeroba1(m): 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
God go judge issa hayatou

2 Likes

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Cmanforall: 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
He wasn't goal hungry. The focus on goals to give such awards will make so many talented players lose out on awards these generation.

Yes, I know few defenders or goalkeeper are considered sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Simeony007(m): 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
We are much concerned about how much goals and trophies you get not dribbles, in the end it will win you nothing.

Who dribbles epp?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Lorenzop: 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
Issa Hayatou politics no doubt undecided

1 Like

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by ODJ124(m): 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
I feel your pain bro....
I believe u were cheated because of jealousy...
and village people...

1 Like

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Weedhustler: 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2020
U didn't win because of the corruption in NFA...those guys are criminals, they sold their votes....
Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Esanboy111(m): 12:01pm On Jul 17, 2020
Abeg make we hear word. You weren’t serious with achievements rather you were busy entertaining yourself. Ekpa

5 Likes

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:01pm On Jul 17, 2020
They do you ojoro in 2003

1 Like

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Iseoluwani: 12:01pm On Jul 17, 2020
Jay Jay deserved the award. Ronald into learnt from him. unfortunately Africa cheated him. He shouldnt have been a Nigeria/Africa. He would have made more impact in football. laslas oga u no get recognized award
Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by iamoyindamola(m): 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
Instead of been serious you will dribbling anyhow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by FrankwebdevO(m): 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
Him no gree build him portfolio

1 Like

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Kochem: 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
A talented player

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Damscodammy1(m): 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
Lemme sidon
Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by iamwhat: 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
He didn't go to good clubs that would build his CV, He was busy chasing money up and down.... You think Drogba or Eto'o would have won it if they were playing for your type of club ? NO!

13 Likes

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
Also did not win a clib trophy. No be by dribbling lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okocha: Missing Out On CAF POTY Award My Biggest Regret by TripA(m): 12:03pm On Jul 17, 2020
your award would be the disgrace you handed Oliver Khan
Sir JJ you are a hero on your hometown. and if the sport
which is very hard

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NFF Appoints Randy Waldrum As Super Falcons’ New Coach / Dortmund Vs Monaco Match Canceled After Bomb Blasts Near Dortmund Team Bus / Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.