Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA (49582 Views)

Federal University Dutsinma Bans Sunday Worship Services (Photos) / I’m Surprised ASUU Has Gone On Strike – Malam Adamu, Education Minister / Malam U.C. Aliu: AAU Lecturer Beats University Students Mercilessly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Sososo(f): 12:47pm On Jul 22, 2020
Haywhymido:
Leave story, when it's your time it is your time, evenif you wear wrapper you go follow play for the match, if you dey sing rubbish people go dance, you go blow, if you dey say rubbish for mouth people go like am, you go blow. so forget, it's all about "time" Just find work dey do till then. No permanent rule to follow that leads to success.
loud it abeg
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Donpaper: 12:57pm On Jul 22, 2020
Haywhymido:
No one knws except the Almighty. so till that time comes all one can do is to keep grinding. When your time comes if you sell common pure water with hardwork you go turn millionaire. on the otherhand if your time never come if someone open business for you, na loss you dey. so the rule of life to follow is "follow the tide" You cant outrun your time(overachieve)
2 Cor 6 :2 says that now is the accepted time. Your preparation with faith determines your time. By the wisdom of God, I am millionaire today. But it doesn't mean God willed it today, my preparedness & belief determined it. I could have become it a decade ago save some few hundred thousands but it didn't happen. If you wait for your time, it may never come, that's not the perfect method of God. God's time is now : “I am”. Your “I am” time may take you 10 years depending on your mindset or preparation otherwise despite that God said so it might not happen. There are Principles in the universe regulating every happenings. Things don't just happen , things are made to happen. First Law of motion. It's more than up to you than God. God won't speak twice, however you must act more than twice to become it.
Selah!

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 22, 2020
ekerintee:
All over the world ,people with university certificate are placed over those with none and earn more .even abroad,I have seen lots of job that ask for experienced professionals.so experrience and skills added to your degree makes way.not just certificate which is mere paper

ohh now u guys are now saying ur degree is as well important coupled with ur experience overseas.i thought u guys said a college degree is worthless overseas and not important cheesy.Practical truth of the matter is that a roadside mechanic with little or no education but had some experience working as a boy under im oga if im apply for one big time automobile company abroad they will still ask for his educational qualifications..thats the bitter truth.Even the big chefs working in chevron and other big time hotels overseas they have college degrees.they didnt just use the experience they learnt from their moms in the kitchen to apply for the jobs.Yes experience is important but also getting your college degree.You start somewhere and overseas why things work over there is because u do things step by step.but in nigeria they will be looking for a 21 yr old to employ with 15 to 20 yrs experience grin grin.tell me how is that possible.abegi nigeria is a big joke grin. and let me add as well that if u really want to thrive in this modern world when u go to college read a proffesional course.is not by reading history and u expect to have something tangible when u go graduate and u go out and look for jobs.Like i said before some courses in nigeria need to be phased out.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2020
Nkwomarket:
Motivational speakers, Please avoid me angry angry

I spent 4 yrs in uni and did Nysc for 1 year, you're here giving me reasons why i should be poor.

angry angry Run along

The certificate is just the starting point, not a guarantee
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
Randy91:

I totally Agree with you!!

Many of them need to travel out...

EDUCATION IS KEY TO SUCCESS and RICHES!!!!

cc lefulefu
gbam! and gbamest grin grin grin
when person comot for naija thats wen person go see say education is not really a scam cheesy
its a pity in nigera the only millioniares we have are theiving politicians,yahoo boys,corrupt pastors who fleece their flocks for tithes,drug dealers,armed robbers etc..these groups are the ones giving the false impression that education na scam cheesy.Apart to key and success education frees u from ignorance cheesy.This Mallam Rabiu or wetin be im name sef dat is yarning us story if u investigate well u will find out his children are in harvard,cambridge or yale unviversity grin grin grin grin..so who is decieving who grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by 2baga(m): 1:24pm On Jul 22, 2020
this is so real
childuptojoy:
This write-up was sent to me by one of my lecturers in school and I feel like sharing it on Nairaland

7 REASONS WHY DEGREE HOLDERS ARE POOR?
Writen by

*MALAM MAMUDA KABIR DUTSINMA*
1. I have a very painful truth to dish out to graduates out there: Your degree or certificate is not the cure to poverty; the cure to poverty is your ability to see and seize opportunities. In this Article, the word P.O.O.R means: Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly.

2. Dear Graduates, if somebody offers you an amazing opportunity, but you are not sure you can do it, say yes then learn how to do it later!, never should you say you don’t know. School rewards people for their memory. Life rewards people for their creativity and ability to solve problems. School rewards caution; life rewards daring. School hails those who live by the rules. Life exalts those who break the rules and set new ones.

3. Being on top of your class does not necessarily guarantee that you will be at the top of life. The world is filled with poor graduates but rich opportunists! Kevin Ngo once said, “If you don’t make the time to work on creating the life you want, you’re eventually going to be forced to spend a lot of time dealing with a life you don’t want”.

4. Your certificates and degrees are meant to help you garner the experience and expertise needed to fulfill your dreams; they are not your destination! I have watched pitiably many graduates with degrees and certificates languishing in poverty looking for jobs that don’t even exist while people with keen eyes for opportunities reach the pinnacle of success in the most unlikeliest of ways.

5. Do you have a graduate or degree holder around you that is poor? I bet you have as they are everywhere! I have a very painful truth to dish out to graduates out there: Your degree or certificate is not the cure to poverty; the cure to poverty is your ability to see and seize opportunities.

BASICALLY, there are seven (7) reasons why degree holders are poor.

1. THEY DON’T THINK BEYOND THEIR CERTIFICATES

Albert Einstein said, “Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think.” Have you ever heard creativity term “Think outside the box”? One of the major reasons why most graduates are poor is simply because they can’t see and think beyond their certificates.
I have seen engineering students work as bankers. I have seen medical doctors with great skills in web and graphic designs. I have seen lawyers that are very dexterous with finances. The list is endless!

The basic truth of life is that the skills that are needed to be much sought after and become more successful in life are not really found within the walls of the classrooms. Your certificate is just a proof that you are teachable, it does not suggest what you are totally capable of doing. You are full of possibilities when you think beyond your degrees and certificates.

2. THEY PRIORITIZE THEIR CERTIFICATES MORE THAN THEIR GIFTS AND TALENTS

I have often advised some of my colleagues, never to leave their gifts dormant while pursuing and hunting for jobs with their certificates. There must be a complementary balance in the pursuit of your passion and in the search for jobs.

Everybody is gifted for something, but the winning edge comes from our ability to work on our gifts and bless the world with it. The very best way to develop yourself is in the direction of your natural talents and interest. In order to live a fulfilled and impactful life, we need to work harder on our gift than our job. We need to discover our gift, develop it, and sell it. Don’t bury your TALENT with your certificates.

3. THEIR CERTIFICATES PREPARE THEM FOR A WORLD THAT NO LONGER EXIST

It has been found that most of the skills taught in schools are becoming obsolete in the present world. The world has changed a lot, and so are people’s need! It is imperative to know that the present form of university education does not prepare students for the future.

Graduates are becoming endangered species in the face of a changing world. Our archaic methods and approaches of learning are preparing graduates for a world that no longer exist, as we are churning out degree holders every year with certificates that have face value but no intrinsic worth. Most learning institutions are filled up with lecturers and pseudo-educators with lecture notes, methods and approaches that have lost relevance in a changing world.

4. THEY KNOW LESS ABOUT THEMSELVES BUT MORE ABOUT THINGS

Certificates and degrees don’t reveal people to themselves; they at most measure our IQ (Intelligent Quotient). I have often tell people that there is no Recovery without Discovery. A poor man is simply someone that has not discovered himself.

The more you discover yourself, the more you realize the treasures that are hidden deep within you. We carry inside ourselves latent treasures that can only be unveiled through self-discovery.

5. CERTIFICATES AND DEGREES CAN KILL INITIATIVES

Degrees and certificates can close up your minds to ideas while initiatives open it up. If you are not careful, your degrees and certificates can close up your mind. The purpose of education is to keep your mind perpetually opened towards limitless possibilities!

Fred Smith saw an opportunity for overnight delivery of anything anywhere in the USA, and ultra- fast delivery anywhere in the world, FedEx was born. It will be interesting to know that Fred Smith got a grade “C” in a Yale economics class for an idea that the professor belittled as unworkable.
Fred Smith’s company became the first American business to make over ten billion dollars in annual profit. Beginning with just 186 packages delivered the first night, FedEx now delivers in over two hundred countries using over 6,030 aircraft, 46,000 vehicles and 141,000 employees.

6. DEGREES AND CERTIFICATES POSITION YOU TO LOOK FOR JOBS AND NOT FOR OPPORTUNITIES

Our certificates and degrees prepare graduates to look for jobs and not open our eyes to life-changing opportunities. You are not poor because you don’t have a job; you are poor because you are not seeing and seizing opportunities.

Being POOR is simply Passing Over Opportunities Repeatedly! What keeps people ahead in life is not their education or degrees, it is simply the opportunity that they seized. Jobs may be scarce but not opportunities.

As long as there is a problem to be solved, there will always be opportunities. It is a waste of our education, exposure, and experiences if after we graduate from school, all we think about is searching for a job. An enlightened and educated mind should be able to see and seize opportunities.

7. CERTIFICATES AND DEGREES PREPARE PEOPLE TO LOOK FOR SECURITY AND NOT TO TAKE RISKS

We must be willing to make mistakes and take breakthrough risks. Taking risks and learning from mistakes help us in knowing what works and what does not! When Thomas Edison was being questioned by a mischievous journalist on how he felt for having failed for 999 times before getting the idea of the light bulb, his response stunned the whole world when he confidently said, “I have not failed 999 times, I have only learned 999 ways of how not to make a light bulb”.

Many graduates and degree holders are becoming progressively poor because the skills required in the modern world to get rich are not taught in schools and institutions. By 2025, we’ll lose over five million jobs to automation. This means that future jobs will look vastly different by the time many people graduate from the university.

Future jobs will involve KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTION/CREATION and innovation, and people that are only equipped with skills found in the classroom will definitely be a misfit in an ever-changing world. Skills like critical thinking, creativity, people’s skill, STEM skills (e.g Coding), complex problem-solving skills etc. are central to living a more comprehensive and productive life.

8 THEREFORE, in conclusion, My humble and candid advice to graduates and students in institutions is to think wide, deep and outside the box. Take volunteer jobs, and don’t be afraid to navigate fields that are different from your field of learning. Your future career will require you to pull information from many different fields to come up with creative solutions to future problems.

Start by reading as much as you can about anything and everything that interests you. Once you get to college, consider double majoring or minoring in completely different fields. Trust me, it’ll pay off in the long run.

Don’t limit yourself to the classroom. Do something practical. Take a leadership position. Start a business and fail; that’s a better entrepreneurship. Contest an election and lose. It will teach you something political science will not teach you. Attend a seminar. Read books outside the scope of your course.

Think less of becoming an excellent student, but think more of becoming an excellent person. Don’t make the classroom your world, but make the world your classroom. Step forward and try something extra. Invest in something you believe! Real financial security and freedom is not in your job, but in your passion, gifts, talents, and your ability to see and seize opportunities.

Writer by
MALAM MAMUDA KABIR DUTSINMA
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:27pm On Jul 22, 2020
obonujoker:

I think an entry level grad earns between 70-90k, however if you are able to secure a contract of installing HVAC, that should go into millions

Dollars per annum or what?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by obonujoker(m): 1:27pm On Jul 22, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Dollars per annum or what?

Naira o... I'm talking of HND/BSC...
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by ComeToJesus: 2:01pm On Jul 22, 2020
Haywhymido:
Leave story, when it's your time it is your time, evenif you wear wrapper you go follow play for the match, if you dey sing rubbish people go dance, you go blow, if you dey say rubbish for mouth people go like am, you go blow. so forget, it's all about "time" Just find work dey do till then. No permanent rule to follow that leads to success.

Very illogical and anti-progress school of thought. Mediocrity is not a virtue. Please run away from people that peddle this ideology of "what will be will be"

Nothing just happens. You are a product of what has been inputed into you. How you harness the inputs, hone and cultivate them surely has a role to play in the fruits you bear.

For you to make impact, you have to locate your purpose and latch on to it as if your life depends on it.

Above all, make God a priority and see all other things fall into place. Matthew 6:33

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Exodora: 2:15pm On Jul 22, 2020
Karlifate:
Good points by Mallam Mamuda Kabir. It can all be summed by one word, "ego".
Some folks see themselves on top of the world cos they're graduates.
On the flipside, Time & Chance happeneth to all. Just because you didn't make it today doesn't mean you would never make it.
Ego you said . What if I tell you that since past 3 months I have decided to stay on my own .
Someone told me that all the people that call themselves graduate don't have sense.
Another one said that is not all about graduating is all about having sense just because one graduate in my area had money issue with somebody that landed him in police custody .
When you talk they say you talk and when you keep to yourself they will say you are feeling too big . Now I have decided to put everybody where they belong , and if that is what you termed Ego I think is the best cos I will never have to explain to anybody the reason why I have to smile and do the things that I do just because am a graduate I can't have a normal life.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by walkwithgod(m): 2:21pm On Jul 22, 2020
obonujoker:

I think an entry level grad earns between 70-90k, however if you are able to secure a contract of installing HVAC, that should go into millions

Thank you for the information.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by oyonu(m): 4:04pm On Jul 22, 2020
Hmm
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by showafrica(m): 4:40pm On Jul 22, 2020
paulolee:
nobody knows how useless a school degree is more than the person that have it....drop that degree and husstle like a drop out..

Very useless thing... Nigerians waste 5 yrs in school learning and doing nothing. Thats why some greedy ones decided learn yahoo business with the 5yrs. I still insist universities should be converted to companies while what they are currently doing should be partime studies .. After work hours
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by showafrica(m): 4:55pm On Jul 22, 2020
wman:
For every degree holder that is poor, there are far more illiterates that are poorer.

Education remains the best bet out of poverty. Education opens up more opportunities for you and give you more options.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't hustle hard when you need to.

In Anambra illitrates are richer than degree holders... Ask indabosky
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 22, 2020
lefulefu:
gbam! and gbamest grin grin grin
when person comot for naija thats wen person go see say education is not really a scam cheesy
its a pity in nigera the only millioniares we have are theiving politicians,yahoo boys,corrupt pastors who fleece their flocks for tithes,drug dealers,armed robbers etc..these groups are the ones giving the false impression that education na scam cheesy.Apart to key and success education frees u from ignorance cheesy.This Mallam Rabiu or wetin be im name sef dat is yarning us story if u investigate well u will find out his children are in harvard,cambridge or yale unviversity grin grin grin grin..so who is decieving who grin

Lmao...nigga!!!

I pity the ones still shouting EDUCATION is not the KEY to successgringrin

Even, that stupid Agbero boy(Mc Oluomo) that many yorubas are loyal to...ALL his fucking Generation are in the USA...Why didn't he make way for them in NURTW?gringrin
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 22, 2020
Randy91:

Lmao...nigga!!!

I pity the ones still shouting EDUCATION is not the KEY to successgringrin

Even, that stupid Agbero boy(Mc Oluomo) that many yorubas are loyal to...ALL his fucking Generation are in the USA...Why didn't he make way for them in NURTW?gringrin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin na the youths wey no get sense dem fit decieve grin..ohhh shocked even MC Oluomo has siblings in the USA? u see am nah grin grin.They all want to tell us that making it in life is by joining NURTW driver union or tanker association grin grin grin grin grin grin.dey are only decieving themselves and the zombies who choose to believe what they say cheesy.I hear say a nigerian politician will now be advising someone on how to make it in life.All of them their children are in foreign schools..From president buhari down to ur local govt chairman and councelor grin grin grin grin grin.Anyway some nigerians can be easily brainwashed by these old politicians grin
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 22, 2020
showafrica:

In Anambra illitrates are richer than degree holders... Ask indabosky
so thats an excuse to become an illiterate abi?
na crime to become educated and rich at the same time?
what is attractive in being a stark illiterate
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 22, 2020
lefulefu:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin na the youths wey no get sense dem fit decieve grin..ohhh shocked even MC Oluomo has siblings in the USA? u see am nah grin grin.They all want to tell us that making it in life is by joining NURTW driver union or tanker association grin grin grin grin grin grin.dey are only decieving themselves and the zombies who choose to believe what they say cheesy.I hear say a nigerian politician will now be advising someone on how to make it in life.All of them their children are in foreign schools..From president buhari down to ur local govt chairman and councelor grin grin grin grin grin.Anyway some nigerians can be easily brainwashed by these old politicians grin

Hahahahahahahahah...

Now, Dem don carry BBN give themcheesy cheesy...

My Happiness be say Euro dey increase day by day and it will be massively helping our ministry to invest back homegringrin
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by showafrica(m): 5:19pm On Jul 22, 2020
lefulefu:
so thats an excuse to become an illiterate abi?
na crime to become educated and rich at the same time?
what is attractive in being a stark illiterate

Lol, i directed you to indabosky and you are asking me.. Well, on serious note, if illiterates could be rich, why would any educated person be poor? You see the point?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 22, 2020
showafrica:

Lol, i directed you to indabosky and you are asking me.. Well, on serious note, if illiterates could be rich, why would any educated person be poor? You see the point?
they have capital.when u get capital u can start a business.many of them who are rich started at the time naija was good but these days in naija a guy who comes from a very poor home and with no capital how im wan take start im business cheesy.Except banks and other financial instituition can give loans and other financial incentives to youths to start their own business.Even dangote that is rich inherited it from his uncle and when he inherited it he doubled it.u have to have something in hand to do something.education is not worthless at least having it will be an added advantage to you when u have started a biz
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 22, 2020
Randy91:

Hahahahahahahahah...

Now, Dem don carry BBN give themcheesy cheesy...

My Happiness be say Euro dey increase day by day and it will be massively helping our ministry to invest back homegringrin
that BBN is very distractive.Someone will be watching BBN from 12pm in the afternoon to 3am at night.and wetin even bad u will see grown up man fighting and arguing over big brother cheesy..if na ladies i see arguing over big brother i can understand but a man arguing over a mere reality showshocked...haba shocked
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by showafrica(m): 5:49pm On Jul 22, 2020
lefulefu:
they have capital.when u get capital u can start a business.many of them who are rich started at the time naija was good but these days in naija a guy who comes from a very poor home and with no capital how im wan take start im business cheesy.Except banks and other financial instituition can give loans and other financial incentives to youths to start their own business.Even dangote that is rich inherited it from his uncle and when he inherited it he doubled it.u have to have something in hand to do something.education is not worthless at least having it will be an added advantage to you when u have started a biz

What capital would they use to acquire education? Whoever, has money to pay school fees can also get money to learn a skill. There is sth we need to understand from the write up. Those illiterates that has capital served someone who set them up, but school made an average Nigeria man to believe that certificate is all you need. If i know what i know today, i would have been an applentis while schooling. It will give you more confidence to enter the labor market and apply your acquired knowledge immidiately. Well, when i look at students living off campus making noise, partying, cohabiting and fukinnn every night, i wonder what is going on in there heads. When there mates somewhere else are inventing, discovering, and creating. Though, i wont rule out the bad environment we find ourselves however, that thing the illiterate is doing or did to be rich, the students should do the same with additional knowledge. As a student in Nigeria, there is enough time to combine both. Nobody should be poor..
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2020
showafrica:

What capital would they use to acquire education? Whoever, has money to pay school fees can also get money to learn a skill. There is sth we need to understand from the write up. Those illiterates that has capital served someone who set them up, but school made an average Nigeria man to believe that certificate is all you need. If i know what i know today, i would have been an applentis while schooling. It will give you more confidence to enter the labor market and apply your acquired knowledge immidiately. Well, when i look at students living off campus making noise, partying, cohabiting and fukinnn every night, i wonder what is going on in there heads. When there mates somewhere else are inventing, discovering, and creating. Though, i wont rule out the bad environment we find ourselves however, that thing the illiterate is doing or did to be rich, the students should do the same with additional knowledge. As a student in Nigeria, there is enough time to combine both. Nobody should be poor..
its not about certificates.Its about doing a proffesional programme or getting a technical education.Look at the technical education programme in nigeria.The programme is dead..we have no technical education.Of what real good use will it be to the economy if i went to school to study history or classics .But it will be of benefit to the economy if you studied engineering,robotic science,medicine, and other professional programmes. dats what i amdriving at.Ok if education is not that important how come those architects and engineers who learnt their trades in the streets when they plan buildings for you the buildings collapse cheesy.So u see for you to have a thriving economy the citizens need to be educated and while being educated they need to instructed on skill aquisition.Thats why japan and china are ahead of the world.I dont think a country can develop if all its youths want to be like hushpuppy or mopha.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 22, 2020
showafrica:

Well, when i look at students living off campus making noise, partying, cohabiting and fukinnn every night, i wonder what is going on in there heads. When there mates somewhere else are inventing, discovering, and creating. Though, i wont rule out the bad environment we find ourselves however, that thing the illiterate is doing or did to be rich, the students should do the same with additional knowledge. As a student in Nigeria, there is enough time to combine both. Nobody should be poor..
one lecturer when i was in sch in naija told us that we students studying in naija schools we are wasting our time unlike our colleagues overseas.That most of us now if we graduate we all rush to lagos to become drycleaners,betnaija agents etc because our education system is flawed.That he himself has two children in schools in the US that he can never allow his child school in nigeria.He came off as being arrogant and many students where put off but then he wasnt fall from the truth.Many school programes in naija are not applicable when u graduate.You reading linguistics,english,history,latin na wetin u wan take those programmes do when u graduate? except u have a feasible plan for urself when u do such a programme then its wise sef not to even go to the univ.when u want to go to the univ u should know what u want to go to do there and make plans what u should do when u graduate.All those students u see partying and doing drugs when in school those ones have no plans for their life.Even in ghana there have been compliants of nigerian students who come there to study dat all they do is do party and drugs and disturb the nieighbourhood that the govt had to seperate those nigerian students from other students so they can party and drink how they want without disturbing others

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by showafrica(m): 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2020
lefulefu:
its not about certificates.Its about doing a proffesional programme or getting a technical education.Look at the technical education programme in nigeria.The programme is dead..we have no technical education.Of what real good use will it be to the economy if i went to school to study history or classics .But it will be of benefit to the economy if you studied engineering,robotic science,medicine, and other professional programmes. dats what i amdriving at.Ok if education is not that important how come those architects and engineers who learnt their trades in the streets when they plan buildings for you the buildings collapse cheesy.So u see for you to have a thriving economy the citizens need to be educated and while being educated they need to instructed on skill aquisition.Thats why japan and china are ahead of the world.I dont think a country can develop if all its youths want to be like hushpuppy or mopha.

Nooo, education is important ooo, what i am saying is what the topic says... Why most educated people are poor. Imagine someone wey learn something for street come go school join am, he will be ahead of his mates unlike someone wey just carry certificate only. To be honest, most graduates are un-employable. If you recruit them, you need to start teaching them fresh and most companies dont have that time. Thats why they drop most of them after interview.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by showafrica(m): 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2020
lefulefu:
one lecturer when i was in sch in naija told us that we students studying in naija schools we are wasting our time unlike our colleagues overseas.That most of us now if we graduate we all rush to lagos to become drycleaners,betnaija agents etc because our education system is flawed.That he himself has two children in schools in the US that he can never allow his child school in nigeria.He came off as being arrogant and many students where put off but then he wasnt fall from the truth.Many school programes in naija are not applicable when u graduate.You reading linguistics,english,history,latin na wetin u wan take those programmes do when u graduate? except u have a feasible plan for urself when u do such a programme then its wise sef not to even go to the univ.when u want to go to the univ u should know what u want to go to do there and make plans what u should do when u graduate.All those students u see partying and doing drugs when in school those ones have no plans for their life.Even in ghana there have been compliants of nigerian students who come there to study dat all they do is do party and drugs and disturb the nieighbourhood that the govt had to seperate those nigerian students from other students so they can party and drink how they want without disturbing others

Lol, so Ghana govt is active like this.. To those Nigerians, there hope is that whoever sees them with Ghana degree, will rush them to come and head a company. So, they use the time for research and practicals to party and make noise.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 22, 2020
showafrica:

Nooo, education is important ooo, what i am saying is what the topic says... Why most educated people are poor. Imagine someone wey learn something for street come go school join am, he will be ahead of his mates unlike someone wey just carry certificate only. To be honest, most graduates are un-employable. If you recruit them, you need to start teaching them fresh and most companies dont have that time. Thats why they drop most of them after interview.
that tells u something is wrong with nigeria"s educational system nau cheesy
see even ppl who are stark illiterates but are rich still have the desire to have a college degree.There have been instances in ppl who are well off but are not educated still going back to college to get a degree cheesy so that tells u that education is not completely useless.But also remember that in naija its really not by dint of hard work u become rich.If u get one Godfather and u come link u put for politics u don already hammer be dat.
in nigeria the quickest way to become rich is through
1:politics
2:pastor
3:scams and faniancial fraud
4:armed robbery
5:drug pushing
so when we see ppl like these i just listed we start doubting if going to school is not just a waste of time.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2020
showafrica:

Lol, so Ghana govt is active like this.. To those Nigerians, there hope is that whoever sees them with Ghana degree, will rush them to come and head a company. So, they use the time for research and practicals to party and make noise.
grin that means dem no know wetin dem go do there cheesy
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by PigTormentor: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2020
lefulefu:
if u have a college degree(university degree) in the US u are more better paid than the ones who graduated from high school.Many americans have the desire of going to college but then going to college in the US is quite expensive even for the average american except he or she gets a scholarship.An american parent who has a big business of his own but wasnt lucky to have a college education would want his son or dauther to get a college education so when he or she graduates and maybe the parent retires he or she can take over the business and hjis or her education can improve on the business.

No one is disputing everything that you have posted. Having said that, it still does not negate the fact that getting a degree now is an automatic ticket to a job even in the US. I graduated in the US back in the 90s and it was not a cake walk getting a job that pays what you were expecting while in College. Unless you have a professional degress such as Doctors, Nurses and some other Science related degrees, it's nit easy getting a well paying job even in the US. Simply because you have too many people degrees chasing fewer and fewer jobs in the labor market.
Also, as stated prior, what a company looks for first is not your degree but what you can do for the company from the first day and that comes from experience in the labor market not collecting a degree. I know this because I have worked for at least 4 Fortune 500 companies and I know what we look for when hiring new employees. Don't me get wrong, anyone with a Degree will eventually bypass another without one in the same field.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2020
PigTormentor:

No one is disputing everything that you have posted. Having said that, it still does not negate the fact that getting a degree now is an automatic ticket to a job even in the US. I graduated in the US back in the 90s and it was not a cake walk getting a job that pays what you were expecting while in College. Unless you have a professional degress such as Doctors, Nurses and some other Science related degrees, it's nit easy getting a well paying job even in the US. Simply because you have too many people degrees chasing fewer and fewer jobs in the labor market.
Also, as stated prior, what a company looks for first is not your degree but what you can do for the company from the first day and that comes from experience in the labor market not collecting a degree. I know this because I have worked for at least 4 Fortune 500 companies and I know what we look for when hiring new employees. Don't me get wrong, anyone with a Degree will eventually bypass another without one in the same field.
now u talking! i agree with u on this..unlike the arguement some are giving here that college degree is not important.both are important..experience and a college degree and yes i know its not easy get a job like that apart from profesional degrees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by PigTormentor: 6:39pm On Jul 22, 2020
Komu1048:

People like you keep aiding those fools we call leaders, nobody is asking them to create jobs cox even if they do na dem dem go still Dey there, but what happen to enabling environment, quality education, provision of basic amenities etc. FYI I’m not concern about looking for jobs. But we just have a lot to benefit from govt policy and intervention

You are mixing apples with oranges. What has the discussion got to do with the government providing an enabling business environment? NOTHING.
This discussion is about the reality of getting a college degree and expecting to be automatically hired simply because you went to college.
Getting a college Degree is no longer a guarantee of getting a job, that's all the point I was making. This is very true either in Nigeria or even in the US. Do you know how many people have MBAs and Masters in the US and still don't have a job?
Re: 7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA by walkwithgod(m): 8:13pm On Jul 22, 2020
icankel:
Chai, after spending 4 to 5 good years in University then 1year NYSC some people advice us to go back to d village and start farming. This life no balance at all

Brother, this one enter my bone marrow and I dey feel am die.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Will I Get Medicine & Surgery In EKSU With 284 As JAMB Score? / Girl Seen Reading Beside The Gutter With Street Light (PHOTO) / University Of Ibadan Closed Over Rusticated 500l Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.