Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,650 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? (4048 Views)

Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / Secret Exposed! Why Do Christ Embassy Pastors Perm Their Hair,like Pastor Chris! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by mrpataki(m): 4:23pm On Jun 16, 2007
I have been ruminating on this topic for a while now. To some it is culturally wrong . I would like to know the views of others as to this topic.

Can we find anywhere in the bible where this issue is addressed?

God Bless cool
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by gbadex1(m): 4:51pm On Jun 16, 2007
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. This issue of hair weaving by men can be likened to that dumbass "Trouser wearing by women is a sin".

Within the cultural context, it is not wrong, it is rejected as it is seen as strange in our soceity.

Christianity wise, there's nothing wrong about it.

What Nigerians see as strange, they see as wrong. And too often Nigerians infuse their culture into *Christianity/religion declaring what they see as outside/strange their culture (in some cases) as religiously wrong, permit me to use that lingo.
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by barikade: 5:01pm On Jun 16, 2007
Well, one verse I remember in the Bible mentioning the issue weaving (actually, 'plaiting') hair was in reference to women; to whom apostle Peter had said:

"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair,
            and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; "  --  I Pet. 3:3.

That men would like to plait/weave their hair in tune with the cultural trends of the day just simply shows what is happening to the hearts of many people under the name "Christian".

Guys with good hairdos are encouraged, as well the women whose deportment are encouraged in Scripture. Some may think the NT deplores women looking good (hello, the spirito-sistas  grin). However, what is being pointed out is that the more important issue about our deportment should not be the outward person, but rather the inward person, which is of great value in God's sight as well as men who "observe". (Any wonder why someone asked why men go to church to seek their better halves?)

However, here's a translation (ALT) that I enjoy on I Tim. 2:9 - "In the same manner also [I want] the women to be adorning themselves in sensible apparel [or, behavior], with modesty and decency [or, self-control], not with braided hair [or, elaborate hairstyles] or gold or pearls or very costly clothing."

Now, wait until you begin to read the protest, pataks!  grin

------------

On a lighter note, let's see some matcho hairdos. Start with this one:

Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by mrpataki(m): 5:08pm On Jun 16, 2007
@ bari_kade,

. . . . . . . . . . . lol, got this Afro on my head, seriously want to weave it! grin grin grin grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by barikade: 5:11pm On Jun 16, 2007
. . . don't forget to give us a glimpse when it's done.  grin

Oops! since we cannot show our faces on the threads (personal reasons), just let us know what celebrations ensue.  cheesy

This guy's got 'em hairs in abundance!
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by mrpataki(m): 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2007
gbade. x:

This issue of hair weaving by men can be likened to that dumbass "Trouser wearing by women is a sin".

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wetin we no go hear for this Nairaland. Small time soon, some peeps will tell you when a lady wears her stocking, it is sin. Apparently it seems as a male apparrel. grin grin grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by mrpataki(m): 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2007
bari_kade:

. . . don't forget to give us a glimpse when it's done. grin

Oops! since we cannot show our faces on the threads (personal reasons), just let us know what celebrations ensue. cheesy

Show my face for Nairaland shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Some peeps are looking for neck embarassed embarassed embarassed

. . . . . . . .lol Was actually on my way to the hair salon, thought I should just raise the topic before I zoom off to weave my hair for a dance show I have tomorrow grin grin grin

Will be back for more info.
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by gbadex1(m): 5:46pm On Jun 16, 2007
mrpataks, abeg plait that hair, plait am wella! If ya like sef, do Suku abi na patewo or kolese cheesy . . .nothing do you!
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by NiteAngel(m): 8:34pm On Jun 16, 2007
Why must you drag the Bible into every lame issue.

If weaving your hair defines your culture, career, personality; go ahead and weave otherwise leave it for teens who are still striving to carve out who they are.
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by goodguy(m): 9:44pm On Jun 16, 2007
@ Topic,

I have also wondered about this same issue, but I often choose to stand aloof whenever the matter arises.  I actually think, afterall, the Jesus that has always been depicted to us is shown to have long hairs.  So why can't we?  But that aside, I'm quite surprised no one made any reference to the teachings of Paul in 1 Cor 11.

mrpataki:

Can we find anywhere in the bible where this issue is addressed?

1 Cor 11:14, 16 (NIV) -

14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him . . . 16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practicenor do the churches of God.

Regards.
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by barikade: 9:53pm On Jun 16, 2007
@goodguy,

Lol, don't be surprised that the few previous entries did not make mention of the verse you offered - which is good, because everyone has something that adds to the general body of knowledge.

I was looking at the topic concerns as well when I responded; and the question that popped in my mind was this: is the topic addressing men's long hair; or rather their weaving the hair?

Believe me, I've seen guys with short hair also weave theirs; not to even mention that they add the accessories: earrings, handkies (used as scarfs) and all.

All the same, I think the verse you called our attention to is quite germane to this topic (IMHO). Cheers.
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by goodguy(m): 10:18pm On Jun 16, 2007
@bari_kade,

bari_kade:

@goodguy,

Lol, don't be surprised that the few previous entries did not make mention of the verse you offered - which is good, because everyone has something that adds to the general body of knowledge.

No mind me jare. grin I actually consider a lot of people on this board far more intelligent and knowledgeable than I am, and that was why I was a bit surprised that no one made mention of the first and only verse that popped in my mind upon seeing the title of the thread.

bari_kade:

I was looking at the topic concerns as well when I responded; and the question that popped in my mind was this: is the topic addressing men's long hair; or rather their weaving the hair?

Believe me, I've seen guys with short hair also weave theirs; not to even mention that they add the accessories: earrings, handkies (used as scarfs) and all.

I also felt there would be a contention as to whether that verse was referring to 'weaving' or just simply keeping long hair. But then, I didn't think of the possibility of any one with short hair weaving their hair, that's why I felt that verse is pertinent to the subject matter.

Maybe we should start by defining how short a weaved short hair really is. Certainly not like mine. grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by gbadex1(m): 6:09am On Jun 17, 2007
about keeping long hair, in what context does Paul mean? Is it like a woman's? Because after all, there were Jews with 'nuff hair (not as long as a woman's though). Is there a length to which men could keep hair and it wouldn't be considered long? Does this shizzle apply to hair weaving?

Just curious. . .
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by stimulus(m): 10:43am On Jun 17, 2007
Lol. . . @gbade. x, here's something satisfy your curiosity about how long or short the hair should be:

I'm also wondering what the reaction of many Christians would be if they went to Church this morning and found that the Christian brother who plays the drums in worship music had "real hair"  -- like these:

Sistas, isn't this cute?

Okay, if you got to church today (or even get to church next Sunday) and saw the familiar faces sitting at the drums with the "broderly hairdo", don't panic: they're expressing themselves!  grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by cuteass1(f): 10:59am On Jun 17, 2007
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

What does that guy in front of the musical instruments think he's carrying on his head?? double ewwwwwwwwww, æsj,

His hair is an eye-sore, chei . . infact i got goose-pimples all over me just looking at it.

Its disgusting, nothing to write home about, the hair lumps look like snakes and pythons, ewwwwwwwwwwww, hmm, very bad hmmm angry angry angry

I got to leave the thread before i throw up on the keyboard, he should really do something fast about it EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by stimulus(m): 11:07am On Jun 17, 2007
Lol, @cute-ass,

cute-ass:

Its disgusting, nothing to write home about, the hair lumps look like snakes and pythons, ewwwwwwwwwwww, hmm, very bad hmmm angry angry angry

Okay, that's one reaction. Others will follow up as well. I just sit here and wonder what his own reaction would be if he read your reaction or even heard the same things said to his hearing. . . lol.

Anyway, he might as well be expressing his culture! grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by cuteass1(f): 11:18am On Jun 17, 2007
stimulus:

I just sit here and wonder what his own reaction would be if he read your reaction or even heard the same things said to his hearing. . . lol.

It would indeed be his lucky day, because maybe the mirror in his room isnt functioning properly, atleast he'll do something about that "thing" he calls hair.

Anyway, he might as well be expressing his culture! grin

Culture ke?? What kind of a dirty culture is that??

Abeg if thats what culture is all about?? Then the word should be uprooted from the dictionary. Gosh, what hair!!
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by Horus(m): 3:20pm On Jun 17, 2007
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by stimulus(m): 5:14pm On Jun 17, 2007
@cute-ass,

cute-ass:

It would indeed be his lucky day, because maybe the mirror in his room isnt functioning properly, atleast he'll do something about that "thing" he calls hair.

Hehe. . I really pity the gentleman. If only he knew that he was waering a "thing" on his head. grin

cute-ass:

Culture ke?? What kind of a dirty culture is that??

Abeg if thats what culture is all about?? Then the word should be uprooted from the dictionary. Gosh, what hair!!

Well, I don't know. It's just that some people call it "culture!" Another word may be 'trend'. cheesy
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by mrpataki(m): 7:08pm On Jun 18, 2007
Can someone please tell me how long was Samsons hair, if no razor ever came upon his head
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by stimulus(m): 7:47pm On Jun 18, 2007
mrpataki:

Can someone please tell me how long was Samsons hair, if no razor ever came upon his head

Em, I'd advise you try that for 51/2 years and return to give us situational report!  grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by nossycheek(f): 10:06am On Jun 19, 2007
gbade. x:

mrpataks, abeg plait that hair, plait am wella! If ya like sef, do Suku abi na patewo or kolese cheesy . . .nothing do you!

lol, how come this brother knows all the hair styles? Are you Sure that your profile is properly filled? Male or female? grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by Drusilla(f): 10:19am On Jun 19, 2007
Just wrong. It seems kinda of homosexualist for a guy to be putting weave in his hair and he does not have a job that requires it. (entertainment field, etc)
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by mrpataki(m): 1:14pm On Jun 22, 2007
Drusilla:

Just wrong. It seems kind of of homosexualist for a guy to be putting weave in his hair and he does not have a job that requires it. (entertainment field, etc)

You are wrong here because I am a living example as to the fact that all what you said, I dont belong to that crew wink
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by tlops(m): 8:05pm On Jun 22, 2007
I am seeing some horrible pix here oh, na long hair I thought this thread is about not "Medusa". wetinkain thing be this?
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by denex: 8:16pm On Jun 22, 2007
Ah, you guys are even talking about guys weaving hair. What about Pastors perming hair and using hairnet to sleep and showercap to bathe? Is it right?
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by tlops(m): 8:34pm On Jun 22, 2007
denex:

Ah, you guys are even talking about guys weaving hair. What about Pastors perming hair and using hairnet to sleep and showercap to bathe? Is it right?

lol shocked
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by barikade: 8:47pm On Jun 22, 2007
denex:

Haa!! Pastors perming hair: that one I know! No be only naija e dey happen sha.

Pastors wearing hairnet to sleep!! Na only naija e go happen!

Pastors using showercap to bathe? E be as e get. . . maybe our naija pastors don overtake those from whom they copy the art! grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by dinnerm(f): 10:28pm On Jun 22, 2007
i dont think its in the Bible,but mind you its not all thats in the bible we do.isnt?its looks cool on some and on others,they look like,i dont support it
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by barikade: 10:45pm On Jun 22, 2007
dinner m:

its looks cool on some and on others,they look like,

They look like . . . what? undecided
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by tlops(m): 10:47pm On Jun 22, 2007
bari_kade:

They look like . . . what? undecided

looks like one of those pix up here!! grin
Re: Guys Weaving Their Hair? Right Or Wrong? by barikade: 10:50pm On Jun 22, 2007
tlops:

looks like one of those pix up here!! grin

Lai-lai!! This one below can never be contained in showercap!! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Not Enough Room In Heaven For Everyone / Pastor Kumuyi Does Not Recognize 'prophetess' Who Visited Heaven, Hell And Came / Pics: Look At How Isis Has Turn To Killing Innocent Christian's Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.