Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses (64839 Views)

Ask Any Question About Jehovah's Witnesses Here / Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 3:57pm On Aug 02, 2020
Notatribalist:
I don't really know oh,to be honest Jehovah's witness are the best among the rest of Christian. I was shocked to find out they don't take offering during their service.
Yes we don't take offerings, and we don't tithe.

1 Like

Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by DappaD: 3:58pm On Aug 02, 2020
Mentorme:

Who called it parable: Jesus, bible or you?

Is Mentorme alleging that only the parable of the rich man and Lazarus be understood LITERALLY and that the other parables Jesus told be understood FIGURATIVELY?

1 Like

Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Mentorme: 3:58pm On Aug 02, 2020
Janosky:

Please can you show us in your Bible where Lazarus spoke about his experiences in the bosom of Abraham? grin
How will you accept the testimony of Lazarus if you rejected that of Jesus?

Many people have published a book and testified about hell and heaven: do you believe it? grin
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by DappaD: 3:59pm On Aug 02, 2020
Mentorme:

You are wrong!
Jesus is confirming the Old Testament.
The fornication there means before marriage.
Note: you can't divorce her if you are aware or have slept with her before marriage.

Deuteronomy 22:13 If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her, 22:14 And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: 22:15 Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: 22:16 And the damsel's father shall say unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he hateth her; 22:17 And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. 22:18 And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him; 22:19 And they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days. 22:20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: 22:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the LovePeddler in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
Are Christians under the Mosaic law? Yes or No?
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 3:59pm On Aug 02, 2020
IkpuNnegiEwu44:
You people are not CHRISTIANS!

Muslims and JW are the same, they reject the Godship of Jesus and see him as prophet.
And you are the true Christian I guess, with a 'good' username. You are welcome.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Mentorme: 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2020
DappaD:

Is Mentorme alleging that the parable of the rich man and Lazarus be understood LITERALLY and that the other parables Jesus told be understood FIGURATIVELY?
Yet. You didn't answer the question
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2020
Mentorme:

Jesus meant that non of those people present has been to heaven so that they can bear him witness.

Are you saying that Jesus used false parable or what will you say is the meaning?
They could not even understand earthly examples.

John 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Matthew 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
Yes! Abraham is already in heaven.

Jesus made it clear that the man did not do what the teachers and prophets taught when he pleaded on behalf of his brethren that are still alive.

Wow! embarassed You mean Abraham is already in heaven by the time Jesus was speaking! embarassed

So who are those that will rise during the time of resurrection?
Because Apostle Paul said "the dead in Christ will rise first" 1 Thessalonians 4:16
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by DappaD: 4:01pm On Aug 02, 2020
Mentorme:

Yet. You didn't answer the question
Did you answer mine? undecided
Remain there na undecided
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Mentorme: 4:03pm On Aug 02, 2020
DappaD:

Are Christians under the Mosaic law? Yes or No?
Are you saying all the laws are now invalid?
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:04pm On Aug 02, 2020
fredopareto:
Dey don't believe in holy spirit talkless of speaking in tongue?
We believe in the Holy Spirit. About speaking in tongues, we have many languages we preach to people but we don't engage in ecstatic speaking. Why? It wasn't what was done by the early Christians, besides, those gifts are no longer in use.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:07pm On Aug 02, 2020
pocohantas:

Lmao. Surprisingly I did this too, I will still do it if they try to PREACH to me. I will also do it to any other christian that tries to preach to me, so it isn’t a personal bias against them.

As long as they stay away from me, we are all fine. After all, if we were born somewhere else, we would probably be practicing Hinduism or Buddhism and we would think it is perfect.
But it doesn't make it the truth. If we were born somewhere else, the truth will still met us; it glistens.

1 Like

Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:07pm On Aug 02, 2020
pocohantas:

Lmao. Surprisingly I did this too, I will still do it if they try to PREACH to me. I will also do it to any other christian that tries to preach to me, so it isn’t a personal bias against them.

As long as they stay away from me, we are all fine. After all, if we were born somewhere else, we would probably be practicing Hinduism or Buddhism and we would think it is perfect.
But it doesn't make it the truth. If we were born somewhere else, the truth will still meet us; it glistens.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:08pm On Aug 02, 2020
xynerise:
God's name is not Jehovah!
YHWH is not pronounced Jehovah
What's its pronunciation?
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Mentorme: 4:09pm On Aug 02, 2020
[quote author=Maximus69 post=92379529]

Wow! embarassed You mean Abraham is already in heaven by the time Jesus was speaking! embarassed

Because Apostle Paul said "the dead in Christ will rise first" 1 Thessalonians 4:16
[/quote.
Same as Jesus resurrected.
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:09pm On Aug 02, 2020
Prince202020:

That's there nature, they are hypocrites! I leave with a lot of them.
Have you never cheated sb before or lied or stolen? If you have, please don't be ashamed you claimed perfection when you aren't. You are welcome.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Mentorme: 4:10pm On Aug 02, 2020
Maximus69:

Same as Jesus was resurrected.
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by xynerise: 4:10pm On Aug 02, 2020
chatinent:

What's its pronunciation?

YHWH
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:11pm On Aug 02, 2020
GreaterFuture1:
Nigerians will always be Nigerians.
A JW told me that there is No Corona Virus In Nigeria.
One JW Girl was Trying giving me Green light, few weeks later geard she was married. How do you try to bang a Total stranger and You have a wedding date set already? Faith, Religion and beliefs, I'm better off without it.
Sometimes, lying cannot bring you fame. Let your words always be seasoned with salt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:13pm On Aug 02, 2020
femi4:
16. The called their Church "Kingdom hall"
17. They believed only 144,000 will make heaven
18. In their Bible, they replaced anywhere "God" is written with "Jehovah"
Silly people, shame on them
Research before you accuse. I admire your signature, it says a lot.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by DappaD: 4:13pm On Aug 02, 2020
Mentorme:

Are you saying all the laws are now invalid?
After the death of Jesus Christ, the Mosaic Law no longer applied to true Christians — See Romans 7:6, 10:4, Galatians 3:13, Ephesians 2:15, Colossians 2:13-14. But there are lessons to be learnt from the Law so as to know how God views certain matters.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chiemmanuel(m): 4:13pm On Aug 02, 2020
DappaD:

Jehovah's Witnesses do not engage in witchcraft, magic or the likes of such! (Deuteronomy 18:10-12, 1Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21)
We liken all these accusations to the ones Jesus said his followers would face — Matthew 5:11, 10:25 smiley
I am speaking from first hand experience, my extended family are witnesses, so I would not fabricate
I have attended lots of services at kingdom halls,
One thing is to quote a Bible verse another is to abide by it
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by femi4: 4:14pm On Aug 02, 2020
chatinent:

Research before you accuse. I admire your signature, it says a lot.
What is there to research... I have them as friends
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by DappaD: 4:14pm On Aug 02, 2020
chiemmanuel:
I am speaking from first hand experience, my extended family are witnesses, so I would not fabricate
One thing is to quote a Bible verse another is to abide by it
OK sir I've heard you.
Just keep Matthew 5:11 in mind anytime you want to accuse/tell lies about disciples of Jesus, okay?
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 02, 2020
[quote author=Mentorme post=92379785][/quote]

Are you saying Jesus went to preach to Abraham (whose bosom was heaven) was also in prison at the time Jesus died? undecided

Remember are talking about Abraham being in heaven even before Jesus paid for the sin of Mankind,

So my concern is how Abraham got there when Jesus has not paid for mankind's sins?

And about the spirits in prison,was Abraham also inclusive?
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chiemmanuel(m): 4:15pm On Aug 02, 2020
DappaD:

OK sir I've heard you.
Just keep Matthew 5:11 in mind anytime you want to accuse/tell lies about disciples of Jesus, okay?
what would I gain
Can you vouch for all the witnesses worldwidw
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by Mentorme: 4:15pm On Aug 02, 2020
DappaD:

After the death of Jesus Christ, the Mosaic Law no longer applied to true Christians — See Romans 7:6, 10:4, Galatians 3:13, Ephesians 2:15, Colossians 2:13-14. But there are lessons to be learnt from the Law so as to know how God views certain matters.
Meaning; even Ten commandments are no longer valid? grin
Not to talk of all the Old Testament that you are quoting here as back up to you believe angry
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:16pm On Aug 02, 2020
vincent7000:
Why are you guys not allowed to marry outside the church ?
We clearly don't criticise or are against people who marry their church members. We only will marry our baptized folks who share our beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by sonofElElyon: 4:16pm On Aug 02, 2020
your argument has descended to the realms of the ludicrous with references to wheelbarrow, forklift and electric fan!!!

Acts 13:2 "the Holy Spirit said 'separate unto me Paul and Barnabas".. that's a fraud too right?

Isaiah 48:16 "the Lord God and His Spirit hath sent me"

Acts 5:3 "you lied to the Holy Spirit"

Matthew 12.31-32 "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven".. the words of Jesus...

your sect is a pseudo christian sect.. meaning fake christian sect.. that's the truth. I won't mince words. you don't believe in Jesus as divine even when the Bible says in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.. this is apart from the several other verses that prove his Divinity. You choose instead to teach heresies like Jesus is angel Michael, there is no hell, Holy Spirit is just a force, teaching that the second coming of Christ occured in 1914, only 144,000 people to be taken from Israel alone will go to heaven and so on and so forth..

I conclude by saying for the benefit of open minded readers that the Holy Spirit is definitely a person and, in fact, I personally think that his physical appearance was described by Ezekiel in Ezekiel 1:26-28. I have also heard a preacher share my view on this..

Janosky:

Wheelbarrow is your helper, is it a person?

I challenge you to name one occasion in your Bible when a believer was baptized in the name of the Father, the son and holy spirit grin

when the Holy Spirit is quoted as saying "separate unto Me Paul and Barnabas", that's a fraud right? when Isaiah said
When weather is hot, Your electric fan is your comforter, is it a person?

Folklift is your helper, is it a person?

Greek pneuma is not a person. Anywhere you see holy spirit referenced as "him", na fraud the Bible translators do there.

Everywhere in your Bible where Jesus is at his Father's right hand, I challenge you to show us where holy spirit is mentioned there grin grin

Stephen saw Jesus at God's right hand, why he no see holy spirit at God's left hand?

Revelation 1:1 God gave Jesus revelation, why Jesus no give to holy spirit wey go give am to Angels?

Trinity na fraud. No deceive yourself grin
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:18pm On Aug 02, 2020
emmnprince:
Jehovah Witnesses will surely have answers to your questions, whether the questions are constructive or not, or the questions that shake the foundation of their belief system.

If OP have a good working knowledge of how this organisation or group of religious body started and metamorphosed into what it has become today under the leadership of Charles Taze Russell in the 1870s in Pennsylvania, USA, and he is sincere with himself, he will discard their doctrine and pull-out from this body.

The New World Translation (NWT) has been so edited to fit their doctrinal belief . . .

So OP to ask you questions about this sect and their contradictory positions on NL may not end well except you engage one outside NL.

Thank you for reminding me I found the truth.
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by DappaD: 4:20pm On Aug 02, 2020
Mentorme:

Meaning; even Ten commandments are no longer valid? grin
Not to talk of all the Old Testament that you are quoting here as back up to you believe angry

DappaD:

But there are lessons to be learnt from the Law so as to know how God views certain matters.

A sharp person would understand what I meant! If you can't understand at the moment, there's nothing I can do for you. tongue
Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by chatinent: 4:21pm On Aug 02, 2020
mansakhalifa:
Some of the baddest boys I knew back in the day were members of the Jehovah Witness sect/denomination/clan. smiley

I know cos they were my classmates and schoolmates. Those guys were fiercely loyal. They were my pals too.

I don't wanna spew too much here. I ain't a geyser after all. But those days were harsh.
Not everyone attending a Kingdom Hall is a Jehovah's Witness. Some are interested persons. Next time, find the facts. You are welcome.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses by amakadlite(f): 4:21pm On Aug 02, 2020
maziuwa:
Why are you Jehova witness is not celebrating Christmas?
there's no such thing as Christmas celebration in the bible. faithfully servants of God both during pre-Christian and Christian erra did not celebrate Christmas. Jesus our model did not neither did his disciples. and he did not command us to do so. go to jw.or for more information about the origin or history of Christmas celebration.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (37) (Reply)

Peller: 'TB Joshua, Oyakhilome Use Charms To Perform Miracles' / Apostle Suleman Embarrassed In Canada Church Service. Photos / Carissa Sharon Oyakhilome Weds Phillip Frimpong In October

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.