Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 (65468 Views)

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 / Is Harry Akande The Reason Shoprite Is Quitting Nigeria After Negating On Deals? / Reactions As Exxonmobil Prepares To Leave Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Surulereman(m): 9:51am On Aug 03, 2020
post=92403340:

They are on top of that particular business.
We don't think it's really about competition.

Thanks for the mention Lady Excellency.
You are right,
You are very very right madam!
Shoprite can never compete with us Igbo merchants,
Is that all?
Cc Simplyleo,
Omenka and all great nairalanders.
Check out ROBAN STORES in Enugu, Awka and Abakiliki. It is the Nigerian equivalent of ShopRite.

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by GamalNasser: 9:52am On Aug 03, 2020
Tetehjewels:

It's not my fault that you could not think correctly.

I am sure if your kitchen sink ever gets blocked this period you would also blame Buhari for it.

If you ever thought correctly for once you won't even be supporting Buhari ..If Buhari is announced as CEO of Amazon today by tommorow Amazon stock prices will be down by half

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Vulcan24(m): 9:54am On Aug 03, 2020
Zenithpeak:
I used to be a ShopRite addict sometimes in the past but paying at the till is always a very difficult task. Sometimes, I will spent more than an our to pay for commodity of less than #5k. There was a day my called me to buy ShopRite bread while coming back home. I got to their store at Cocoamall, Dugbe, Ibadan around 8pm only to discover that I have more than 50 people on the cue ahead of me waiting to pay on a single file. There were two separate lines with only two cashiers attending to over a hundred customers.
I latter dropped the bread and that was my last time ever in their store. I can suffering to make money and also suffer spending it.

it is illetrates like you that makes the long queue

it is a place for multiple shopping not single item purchases

Be guided on public speaking

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Jeffyblaq(m): 9:55am On Aug 03, 2020
Solatium:

Even in South Africa they belong to the 3rd tier after pick & pay and u-save.
It's a shame that Nigeria with population of around 200million do not have a brand.
I hope and pray a Nigerian money bag can see the opportunity
There are alot of money bags in the country willing to do that..
Just that we have unhealthy government policies causing stumbling blocks for such people to invest in..
You know the rest that goes with it..

Very pathetic!
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by HMarshal(m): 9:56am On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

https://www.news24.com/fin24/Companies/shoprite-exits-nigeria-after-15-years-20200803

The pandemic prolly being the straw that broke the camel's back,nigerias economy is really messed up.

Good luck to em tho.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 03, 2020
GamalNasser:

If you ever thought correctly for once you won't even be supporting Buhari ..If Buhari is announced as CEO of Amazon today but tommorow Amazon stock prices will be down by half

Amazon is an online trading platform and this made them the richest since they tapped into the 21st century digital age. ShopRite should have created an online shopping presence.

This is not about Buhari. Get it into your obtuse memory banks.

This is about the lack of ingenuity of ShopRite.

Besides this is not even a loss to Nigeria. It is rather a loss to South Africa because their monies and profits end up there and not in Nigeria.

This is Nigeria's gain.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by chyket(m): 9:58am On Aug 03, 2020
It's Competition that is chasing them away! They had it so good when they started initially but as Nigerians started developing the Shopping Mall culture,a lot of new entrants entered in suburbs and communities and cut off many of their former Customers. The Corona virus pandemic also pushed Nigerians into online shopping and their Customer base was further eroded hence this decision to consider quitting.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Gazzy88(m): 9:58am On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
The Chinese or Indian will buy it and increase prices of products.

They would change the every day low pricing strategy of Shoprite to premium pricing

They would also stock shoprite with expensive foreign brands or Indian and Chinese brands.

It would reduce customers but increase revenue.

Lebanese are the ones that buy businesses like this.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Surulereman(m): 9:58am On Aug 03, 2020
Vulcan24:

it is illetrates like you that makes the long queue

it is a place for multiple shopping not single item purchases

Be guided on public speaking
You are very rude. Can't you make a comment without insulting someone who chose to buy bread at ShopRite? I wonder who is the illiterate here. Check your spelling of illiterate, Mr Literate.

6 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by GamalNasser: 9:58am On Aug 03, 2020
folarr:

Let's be guided. It's because of people like you and I that Nigeria is the way it is, for example, this COVID-19 outbreak in Nigeria would have been contained if only people listened to what the government had planned, but no. I know I'm off topic here but still, if you continue insulting PMB, would the situation change? The tongue is powerful. You know that it's not the President or the Central Bank that controls the exchange rate, it us caused by external factors that cannot be controlled, like the Saudi-Russia tensions, the Central Bank only adjusts the exchange rate in line with these external factors.

Guy forget it I am a Nigerian hero in my own Little way and Buhari is a disaster ..People like you are the problem when you see black and try to paint it white because of selfish reasons ...Can you hire Buhari to take care of your dog ? So at you your age you don't know that all bUharis actions and inactions affects the Economy in very diverse ways ..I can break it down for you how Buhari killed the Nigerian Economy but I don't have that time now because I have a lot of work on my desk today

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by GamalNasser: 10:01am On Aug 03, 2020
Tetehjewels:

Amazon is an online trading platform and this made them the richest since they tapped into the 21st century digital age. ShopRite should have created an online shopping presence.

This is not about Buhari. Get it into your obtuse memory banks.

This is about the lack of ingenuity of ShopRite.

Besides this is not even a loss to Nigeria. It is rather a loss to South Africa because their monies and profits end up there and not in Nigeria.

This is Nigeria's gain.

Name one e commerce retailer that is doing well ..I hope you know even Jumia has not turned in single profit in NIGERIA ?...Online indeed grin grin you people are just living off free govt salary so you don't know what's happening

7 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 03, 2020
Why should they go
They didn't even bring any branches to pH in their 15 years of operation undecided
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Bizibi(m): 10:03am On Aug 03, 2020
martineverest:
smh.....are u not seeing that competitors are dealing with ShopRite rather than our economy?
our economy is bad qed. The purchasing power of Nigerians now is dwindling....every business is struggling.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 10:03am On Aug 03, 2020
I don't like this news. sad

Blenco and its ilks have been dipping holes into people's pockets since time immemorial. Where will I be buying extremely cheap stuff when they leave?

I know this may sound stupid but I am sad. sad

They have just rendered many people jobless.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 10:03am On Aug 03, 2020
Tetehjewels:

It is competition and not Buhari.

Let me explain in a way I would to kids.

If you have a very large store localized in one spot and I live 5 to 20km from that store, why would I travel that distance to that store and risk my life plus spend my money when I can get the same things from that big store from a much smaller store right around my house?

What ShopRite should have done was to go digital but they were too myopic. Their market was mainly for those around their area of location and that was their doom.

Today we have shopping malls everywhere which in many ways have split up shoprites market and taken it to their areas.

ShopRite gave those businesses the ideas and innovation but they now improved upon it.

Their lack of ingenuity and competition from others killed them not FG

I get your point on convenience based on distance but this line above stood out. Why should going to a store be equivalent to risking one's life, if insecurity is that HIGH then there's a huge problem beyond shoprite's exit.

There is also the issue of exchange rate if they are having to remit revenues in Naira to ZAR.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Gazzy88(m): 10:04am On Aug 03, 2020
Shoprite can go. We already have justrite
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 03, 2020
JesusJesus:
E-commerce is the future

Nugga u don't even have postcodes lol
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 03, 2020
tot:

I get your point on convenience based on distance but this line above stood out. Why should going to a store be equivalent to risking one's life, if insecurity is that HIGH then there's a huge problem beyond shoprite's exit.

My point was not about insecurity. My point is about accidents which are pretty rampant.

Like I said, I would rather walk to the mini mall around my neighbourhood than drive 5km to ShopRite.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Litmus: 10:08am On Aug 03, 2020
Jeffyblaq:

Just that we have unhealthy government policies causing stumbling blocks for such people to invest in..

Very pathetic!

What are these unhealthy government policies, please; genuinely, I want to know.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by ehinja: 10:09am On Aug 03, 2020
Some heavy behind the scene moves here as i cant believe shoprite will pack out of Naija based on economics only. Someone or something must have gotten to them. We will hear soon enough.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Vulcan24(m): 10:09am On Aug 03, 2020
Surulereman:

You are very rude. Can't you make a comment without insulting someone who chose to buy bread at ShopRite? I wonder who is the illiterate here. Check your spelling of illiterate, Mr Literate.

e pain am..... sorry, but ibadan ppl nor dey hear word
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Solatium(m): 10:10am On Aug 03, 2020
Openbusiness4:
which opportunity? Anybody dat wana trow away moni is welcome to try. Do u tink is by mistake dat even d biggest retail giants like Walmart are avoiding Nigeria like a plague, despite d huge population? Is cuz ur govt is a business killer. Unless u belong in dia Cabal any neutral person making huge investment will go down d drain. C wot dey did to Gokada, Max an Oride. See wot d dey r doin to Uber n Taxify? Wot of Jumia an Konga? Dos guys are struggling to keep up an float. Dey are running on huge losses. But banks will always declare profit, an Dangote and co. Cuz dey belong and play d game wit d mafia running dis country

Motorcycle hailing venture is not a viable business,where else in the whole world do they embrace Okada as a means of transportation within a cosmopolitan city like Lagos?
Jumia was sold to an Egyptian by its former Nigerian/Ghanaian owner, unfortunately the new investor do not have the drive to push it beyond what was built couple with the fraudulent and dishonest activities of those who sells on the platform.
We do not need economic Killers like Walmart ASDA and the rest of the crew who are solely interested in killing the local content by retailing solely imported goods,who are only interested in repatriating funds to their home country,we need our own local identity,if the likes of Justrite,Addide,Blenco and Jendol, can be making Waves,if the likes of Spar could be here and still trying to survive the local competition to hell with Walmart

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 03, 2020
GamalNasser:

Name one e commerce retailer that is doing well ..I hope you know even Jumia has not turned in single profit in NIGERIA ?...Online indeed grin grin you people are just living off free govt salary so you don't know what's happening

I run and own my own business and it is thriving. Government funds or intervention are not for my kind. Perhaps we are just having a conversation for the first time on nairaland which is why you do not even know me. Sniff around and find out.

My business is also digital and depends on an online presence.

Carve a niche, target your market, make your prices right and you have a winner.

1 naira difference between product A from shop A and same product in shop B says a lot. This is why shops or online shopping platforms always place prices at 29.99 and not exactly 30. That 1 cent gets the market.

Learn and evolve is my advice to you.

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by TroubleMaker47(m): 10:11am On Aug 03, 2020
Chirowman:
do you know how many job loss their leave will create , would those stores employ them rather they are coming to join the unemployment rate that's very high already I just feel for them.
Those job losses be mitigated by the expansion of Nigerian retail stores! And the profit that would hv left the country would now be spent in the country
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Thelucifer666(m): 10:11am On Aug 03, 2020
Luckydubby7:
. Oga do you know what jumia is passing through.
Explain more on this jumia matter.
I'm truly scared for the future of this country
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 10:12am On Aug 03, 2020
Tetehjewels:

My point was not about insecurity. My point is about accidents which are pretty rampant.

Like I said, I would rather walk to the mini mall around my neighbourhood than drive 5km to ShopRite.

That is still a problem IMHO. How can an environment be such that high accident rate is a factor in going to the supermarket?! That's a big red flag and brings up even wider issues.

Convenience, yes I get. But accident rate being a consideration within a 5km distance is an issue.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 03, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

Nugga u don't even have postcodes lol

This is why we have drop shipping. Post codes are not required
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Kayouzka(m): 10:12am On Aug 03, 2020
Hmm
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 10:13am On Aug 03, 2020
Surulereman:

Some people have no manners. Arrogant prick.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 10:13am On Aug 03, 2020
[s]
Vulcan24:

e pain am..... sorry, but ibadan ppl nor dey hear word
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 03, 2020
GamalNasser:
Buhari is evil.... This is how Buhari's poor leadership sent Leventis and Kingsway packing in the 80s and now he has done it again ..Next to leave will be DSTV then finally MTN..Meaning PEP store will soon announce their leave

1. Leventis and Kingsway were still operating long after Buhari left office in 1985 . UTC too was still operating till the early 90s.

The last time I recall visiting a Kingsway was in 1989. Leventis was still active as at 1999.

Buhari is a bad leader,but in 1983 when he took over the economy was already on a downward trend,and itgot worse under IBB.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Solatium(m): 10:15am On Aug 03, 2020
Jeffyblaq:

Very pathetic!

Those are not money bags,they are hustlers,a money bag always have friend's in government,they are always part of the government,they policies always favors them in 98% of the time.
unfortunately they have never been into a honest business,they prefer to Warehouse their money and steal more from the government via elephant projects.
The Day Dangote announces he will go into such retail business is the day you will see other money bags lining up to do the same.
Bulk of our money bags no get Business sense.QED

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pictures of PUBLIC LAUNDRY services In The U.S. / Opay Risks Ban As Report Finds Them Guilty Of Offering "Crazy Loans" / How To Open And Run A School Successfully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.