Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 (65447 Views)

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 / Is Harry Akande The Reason Shoprite Is Quitting Nigeria After Negating On Deals? / Reactions As Exxonmobil Prepares To Leave Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 03, 2020
kikero:

1. Leventis and Kingsway were still operating long after Buhari left office in 1985 . UTC too was still operating till the early 90s.

The last time I recall visiting a Kingsway was in 1989. Leventis was still active as at 1999.

Buhari is a bad leader,but in 1983 when he took over the economy was already on a downward trend,and itgot worse under IBB.

Which heralded SAP (structural adjustment program) by IBB
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 10:16am On Aug 03, 2020
How come no one is talking about the exchange rate?

If they are having to remit revenues in Naira to ZAR, they are pretty much done for already. That would wipe away any profit margin.

6 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by AIICO2009(m): 10:16am On Aug 03, 2020
it is well with our Nation. call me for your Insurance matters 07032573919
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Papertrail11(m): 10:17am On Aug 03, 2020
E don red.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Jaqenhghar: 10:17am On Aug 03, 2020
WandaMaximoff:
And they said our economy is doing well.
You honestly believed those kuli kuli economists undecided
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Enemyofpeace: 10:17am On Aug 03, 2020
Jeffyblaq:

Correction Buddy.

There's no such word like"tooked" in English language. In the past participle tenses.

Simply say took or taken.

Cheers!
all I know is that Buhari has tooked us back to the 80s
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 03, 2020
tot:
How come no one is talking about the exchange rate?

If they are having to remit revenues in Naira to ZAR, they are pretty much done for already. That would wipe away any profit margin.

Which is why this is a loss to SA and a gain to Nigeria.

They remit to SA and all we gain are services.

A local minded business of this nature would make a killing when they leave.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Samfloxin(m): 10:19am On Aug 03, 2020
Vulcan24:

it is illetrates like you that makes the long queue

it is a place for multiple shopping not single item purchases

Be guided on public speaking
It is shameful you don't even know the meaning of illiteracy, that's why you used it recklessly on the innocent man
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Rebelutionary: 10:20am On Aug 03, 2020
aybabz101:
well, that is another job loss in this trying moment, but las las, we go dey alright.

But seriously, what is happening in 9ja? konga I think was recently put on the market for sale and jumia is really struggling. This means e-commerce is not "really productive" in Nigeria.

Also, our major supermarkets are closing up!

I think the purchasing power of our middle class is really dwindling at a very fast rate coupled with the fact that the naira is on a free fall.

these companies are not Nigerian companies so, their profit will be declared in their corporate headquarters in dollars not in naira. regardless of the marginal profit made in naira, if naira is below the cliff, it will be seen as a loss in their headquarters.
A very good head you have screwed on bro!
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Queenoffucks(f): 10:21am On Aug 03, 2020
Fvck choprite
Fvck Buhari
Fvck em all
Fvck you reading this.

Quenofduxks
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Vulcan24(m): 10:21am On Aug 03, 2020
Samfloxin:

It is shameful you don't even know the meaning of illiteracy, that's why you used it recklessly on the innocent man

my friend I av rest d mata, no let me ask u questions that will put ur education at jeopardy
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by tot(f): 10:21am On Aug 03, 2020
Tetehjewels:

Which is why this is a loss to SA and a gain to Nigeria.

They remit to SA and all we gain are services.

A local minded business of this nature would make a killing when they leave.

Not necessarily. It shows our currency has been seriously devalued.

A lot of other businesses as well depend on imports, so this is a problem.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Correcto: 10:24am On Aug 03, 2020
I heard Roban Stores is seriously competing with them in the East, especially Enugu.
proeast:
They can go already. We now have enough Igbo brands that can effectively replace them. The likes of Next, Everyday, Market Square and several others that are available in major cities.

Although we appreciate them for creating the awareness cool
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 03, 2020
Am not worried about ShopRite leaving the country, am worried about the workers that will loose their jobs..

More unemployment in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by patrickmuf(m): 10:24am On Aug 03, 2020
martineverest:
even the Naija owned megastores offer online services and delivery... ShopRite was too complacent...if DStv isn't careful Netflix,Disney plus and Amazon will kick them out
I can't wait for when DSTV will have a strong competitor especially one that comes with all the sporting content.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by InvertedHammer: 10:24am On Aug 03, 2020
/
Cost of doing business in Nigeria is too high for any kind of business. Companies provide their own basic amenities. Yet they are expected to pay taxes (official and unofficial). The amount spent on powering generators alone is enough to send a business into a tailspin.
/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Papertrail11(m): 10:25am On Aug 03, 2020
Muhammdu
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by NaMe4: 10:25am On Aug 03, 2020
Hmmm

More jobs gone!

With the current economic situation and crime rate, Nigeria's case now na "Lord, please take control".
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Jeffyblaq(m): 10:27am On Aug 03, 2020
Litmus:

What are these unhealthy government policies, please; genuinely, I want to know.
For example, banning or restricting imports without primarily promoting export.
They should allow the market to regulate import through a competitive foreign exchange regime.
I know the government is trying to protect her domestic industries.. But in reality, what are we realy producing to export?
There's nothing compared to the outside world.

Let there be flexibility in the market.

My candid opinion though!

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by jaxxy(m): 10:27am On Aug 03, 2020
GamalNasser:
Buhari is evil.... This is how Buhari's poor leadership sent Leventis and Kingsway packing in the 80s and now he has done it again ..Next to leave will be DSTV then finally MTN..Meaning PEP store will soon announce their leave

I hate to admit it bt... U cud be right.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Openbusiness4: 10:28am On Aug 03, 2020
Solatium:

Motorcycle hailing venture is not a viable business,where else in the whole world do they embrace Okada as a means of transportation within a cosmopolitan city like Lagos?
Jumia was sold to an Egyptian by its former Nigerian/Ghanaian owner, unfortunately the new investor do not have the drive to push it beyond what was built couple with the fraudulent and dishonest activities of those who sells on the platform.
We do not need economic Killers like Walmart ASDA and the rest of the crew who are solely interested in killing the local content by retailing solely imported goods,who are only interested in repatriating funds to their home country,we need our own local identity,if the likes of Justrite,Addide,Blenco and Jendol, can be making Waves,if the likes of Spar could be here and still trying to survive the local competition to hell with Walmart
Oga no big supermarket in Nigeria sells hundred percent local content, unless na for aboki or kiosk or road side shop. No b same Blenco wey dey Sangotedo wey I no? No b same addide wey dey Pedro an many oda locations, Jendol and d rest are d same tin, even Prince Ebeano. Foreign goods dey dia, exotic wonderful products. Do u know wot dey go tru to settle Nafdac n customs n oda agencies dat cum to harass dem from time to time? Danfo an Lastma be friends no be say cuz d 2 of dem dey wear yellow, na bcoz dem dey give dem d raba steady. Dat d supermarket are running don't mean dey r always making profit. Check dem well, some of dem are owing loans, some of dem are owing suppliers etc na jama jama everybody dey do. D business environment is killing unless we wanna b deceiving ourselves. Do u know how much dey spend on fuel and gen repairs every month alone? Money dat suppose to b profit

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by mkoabiola: 10:29am On Aug 03, 2020
Nothing is working in this country.

What do u expect .

d head is already rotten
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Jeffyblaq(m): 10:29am On Aug 03, 2020
Enemyofpeace:
all I know is that Buhari has tooked us back to the 80s
Very well.

You are right!

Cheers!
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by KfashionHubb: 10:29am On Aug 03, 2020
Gazzy88:
Lebanese are the ones that buy businesses like this.
the Lebanese own ShopRite worldwide
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by mkoabiola: 10:31am On Aug 03, 2020
Vulcan24:

my friend I av rest d mata, no let me ask u questions that will put ur education at jeopardy

Very funny comments
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Leopantro: 10:32am On Aug 03, 2020
Correcto:
I heard Roban Stores is seriously competing with them in the East, especially Enugu.

Shoprite is in Enugu, abia, port Harcourt, imo and anambra.
How many states is Roben stores in?
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by cocolacec(m): 10:35am On Aug 03, 2020
truthfulparrot:
Chai nothing works in Nigeria again. Granted things are not easy worldwide but misrule and clueless leadership is making Nigeria case worst.
PMB is taking Nigeria Bank to the 1980s
This is the reason why nothing works in Nigeria.
https://www.nairaland.com/6026188/nigerians-problem-nigeria
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by ahiboilandgas: 10:36am On Aug 03, 2020
Or11:
Nigeria is such is dumb country. Imagine suspending withdrawal on Nigerian ATM cards abroad when many Nigerians are stuck abroad because of the COVID 19 pandemic. The Embassies are also shut. Ordinary 24 hours power seems impossible. Sowore should do his revolution fast abeg.
where will the dollar for the oversea withdrawal come from?
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 03, 2020
GamalNasser:
Buhari is evil.... This is how Buhari's poor leadership sent Leventis and Kingsway packing in the 80s and now he has done it again ..Next to leave will be DSTV then finally MTN..Meaning PEP store will soon announce their leave
I have stopped insulting buhari since I understood some things better. Go through my posts and you'll realize that you are not as "anti-buhari" as I used to be. But now I KNOW BETTER. Don't you want your own brothers and sisters to improve? Don't you know that whatever proceeds they make would revert to their own country of origin? Don't you want our economy to grow? Don't you know large amount of Petty traders would grow from these?
Besides, Competition made them leave and NOT BUHARI (coupled with the covid-19 pandemic). It's a blessing in disguise I tell you. Let our indigenous companies grow please.
Buhari is not totally bad please. I know times are hard but buhari's governance is not as bad as people paint it to be if you check some things out. Besides, some policies are for our good on the long run please

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by NaMe4: 10:38am On Aug 03, 2020
foxxydude:
grin

They never even set foot in Edo State!

grin
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by studentofTruth: 10:39am On Aug 03, 2020
The made a mistake by not adding a home delivery service to their services. Just to have an ecommerce website where busy people like us can place orders and have it delivered to us. It makes things easier for everyone, and it won't take them much because they already have their system in place (warehousing and storage) — just to coordinate online orders with home/work delivery.

Locals have turned their place to a sight-seeing center. Busy people who do the real shopping can't stand spending hours just for shopping.

For instance, I wanted to go for shopping on Saturday, but remembered that it's a period of Salah celebration and postponed it because of the experience I had around Salah period 3 years ago where I had to turn back on seeing the crowd just waiting outside the door to gain entrance.

The new owners should develop a better model, or they can get in touch for great ideas!

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 03, 2020
tot:

Not necessarily. It shows our currency has been seriously devalued.

A lot of other businesses as well depend on imports, so this is a problem.

Not true.

It's about cost at the end of the day. ShopRite I'd expensive compared to other smaller malls.

Even if a business depends on imports there is what is known as "small profit, quick turn over" . ShopRite does not understand this language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Experience Today In Warri ( graphic pix be warnned) !!! / "Made In Aba" Shoes Ready For Export (pics) / Pictures of PUBLIC LAUNDRY services In The U.S.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.